PDA

View Full Version : Corded Impact Wrench

msommers
10-14-2010, 10:14 AM
I've thought about picking one of these up from Crappy Tire when they have them on sale, basically to make changing over the summer/winter tires that much faster.

But how are they overall? Likely not as good as their air-compressor counterparts but will they do jobs here and there on the car or are they pieces of shit better left in the garbage?

johnny0214
10-14-2010, 10:23 AM
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/2/CordedPowerTools/CordlessImpactDrivers/PRD~0542734P/Mastercraft%252B%2525BD-in.%252B7.5A%252BImpact%252BWrench.jsp?locale=en

I got one of these when it was on sale and use it for changing over tires.

Thaco
10-14-2010, 10:53 AM
i got one of the canadian tire ones, works well for changing over the wheels on my vehicles, makes short work of what's usually an annoying manual affair. Also much easier than dragging out the compressor and associated accessories.

R-Audi
10-14-2010, 10:59 AM
I went with one from Princess Auto...
Cheaper and I trust their warranty more!

AndyL
10-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Cordless - Hilti SID144's FTW.

Works on all my vehicles except the 1ton... Gotta break those loose with the big breaker anyway.

Abeo
10-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by R-Audi
I went with one from Princess Auto...
Cheaper and I trust their warranty more!

+1

230 ft-lbs, good enough for most things. On the heavy side (especially compared to an air impact of the same rating), but for $50 on sale its been great

mo_money2supe
10-14-2010, 12:11 PM
I have the same one from CT posted above. I actually use it more on my cars than I use my air tools/compressor. I just find it more convenient to use and it's got decent enough torque to take off most bolts.

G-ZUS
10-14-2010, 12:14 PM
I have the above listed one, actually used it quite a bit on my car when doin suspension. it is quite bulky and heavy

n1zm0
10-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Snap on slide on 18v battery, 1/2 drive impact wrench is what i have, battery lasts forever, i think around 600 ft lbs break off tq for those suspension bits, then with the ever famous snap on warranty (straight exchange 90% of the time) it was a no brainer when i bought it (2 years ago for $270 iirc).

problem for non-transportation profession guys is hunting down a snap on truck to actually buy one lol

but for tires i'd get whatever the hell crappy tire/princess auto one, then get a decent torque wrench ( the kind with lifetime warranty i.e: canadian tire 1/2 drive ones) to finish it off and redo them after 100 kms or so.

schmooot
10-14-2010, 01:45 PM
As far as corded impacts go a Milwaukee one is by far way ahead of the pack...well worth the investment IMO...even if you can find a used one on ebay it will outperform anything else out there

Ven
10-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Beat the shit outta my CT gun, used all the time and frequently on loan. Way beyond expectations. Got it for $39.99 boxing day last year, case included.

msommers
10-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Really good deal going on at crappy tire for an impact socket set with a bonus impact wrench. 100 bucks with lifetime warranty, not bad!

Cos
10-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Abeo

+1

230 ft-lbs, good enough for most things. On the heavy side (especially compared to an air impact of the same rating), but for $50 on sale its been great

Is it yellow? Sounds as the same one I have

Abeo
10-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Is it yellow? Sounds as the same one I have

It was yellow, at one point. Its had its fair share of use, and has taken the color of grease and brake dust :)

tangj
10-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by johnny0214
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/2/CordedPowerTools/CordlessImpactDrivers/PRD~0542734P/Mastercraft%252B%2525BD-in.%252B7.5A%252BImpact%252BWrench.jsp?locale=en

I got one of these when it was on sale and use it for changing over tires.

+1 I got this too, great value, they go on sale every couple weeks for about 50 bucks.

sillysod
10-21-2010, 01:08 PM
The guy is looking at a $50.00 impact gun and people are posting up suggesting $500.00 hilti, milwaukie and snap-on guns. haha

this place is really retarded sometimes.

syritis
10-22-2010, 05:03 AM
honestly. if the impact gun doesn't have the torque to break the lug nuts loose their not much point in buying one, ie. it's not any faster if you have to loosen the nuts by hand first.

now i've replaced the studs on my car with some stupidly long ones so i cut off a 3/8 extensions and chuck it into a cordless drill. in my case it's usually faster but sometimes it's not worth the hassle.

thus IMHO if the cordless impact gun isn't at least 200 ft-lbs. don't even waste your money.

nismodrifter
10-22-2010, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by tangj

+1 I got this too, great value, they go on sale every couple weeks for about 50 bucks.

Fuck Mastercraft Garbage ass tools. I have bought that shit in the past and it is fuckin garbage.

Save up if necessary. Buy quality tools ONCE. Enjoy for many years.

nobb
10-22-2010, 05:46 AM
This is a good idea...our family has 3 vehicles to change out the tires for. What would you guys say is the minimum torque rating to look for? Even the cheapest 12V one at CT ($50) has 280 ft-lbs.

Abeo
10-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by nobb
This is a good idea...our family has 3 vehicles to change out the tires for. What would you guys say is the minimum torque rating to look for? Even the cheapest 12V one at CT ($50) has 280 ft-lbs.

Cordless + CT = dead battery just after the warranty is up

Myz
10-22-2010, 08:25 PM
I've been wanting an impact wrench as well but figured air wrench was going to be better than electric.
This is for more than use on wheel swap overs tho.
Will be using it for my complete track car build.
Do you guys suggest i stick to Air tools, or could i find an electric that does the same job for equivalent/lower price?

Sorry for the thread jack

AndyL
10-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
The guy is looking at a $50.00 impact gun and people are posting up suggesting $500.00 hilti, milwaukie and snap-on guns. haha

this place is really retarded sometimes.
Meh - some of us are tool nuts :) I'd rather buy something multi purpose for big $ than single purpose for 50...

sillysod
10-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

Meh - some of us are tool nuts :) I'd rather buy something multi purpose for big $ than single purpose for 50...

I have a Dewalt electric impact gun and a pneumatic IR Thunder Gun for my garage. I have tons of Snap On and Allied tools and definatly would NOT buy Mastercraft gun myself.

I have never used a Mastercraft gun, but I am going to guess my electric Dewalt is 10x better... but compared to the Thunder Gun it sucks balls. He was asking about a super cheap electric impact I just don't see him dishing out $300+ for a good one.

sillysod
10-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Myz
I've been wanting an impact wrench as well but figured air wrench was going to be better than electric.
This is for more than use on wheel swap overs tho.
Will be using it for my complete track car build.
Do you guys suggest i stick to Air tools, or could i find an electric that does the same job for equivalent/lower price?

Sorry for the thread jack

Air tools are only as good as your compressor. Get a good compressor and you are set.

Electric impact (even a good one) is pretty much useless on a car for anything but some exhaust and wheel lugs. They are huge and too heavy to fit anywhere.

Buy a good 1/2" gun and a really good 3/8" air rachet and you are set.

Abeo
10-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

Air tools are only as good as your compressor. Get a good compressor and you are set.

Electric impact (even a good one) is pretty much useless on a car for anything but some exhaust and wheel lugs. They are huge and too heavy to fit anywhere.

Only thing my electric impact had a problem with was rusty steering rack bolts back east. It has been used for engine and trans changes with stuck, rusty bolts, truck wheels, and its done well. It is heavy and physically bulky, which makes it a pain in the ass when you need your other hand or its at arms length... and I prefer air tools for the lightness/power, but I think you underestimate what the electric impact can do. Lately, I've used my electric impact way more than my air gun.

Also, the electric impact is great for when you don't want to set up/haul around your compressor, all you need is an extension cord. And we are comparing a $50 electric impact vs $300 for a good compressor, $25 for a good hose and fittings, and $150 for an alright air impact gun...

Myz
10-22-2010, 10:19 PM
They are huge and too heavy to fit anywhere.
Best advice I've received thus far on this topic-Thanks

we are comparing a $50 electric impact vs $300 for a good compressor, $25 for a good hose and fittings, and $150 for an alright air impact gun...
Good Point.

regarding opening rusted/seized bolts...
I work alone & since its my first project of this sort, I'm expecting hassles stripping a 20yr old car.It can be demotivating so i'd rather invest in the right tools upfront.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Abeo
10-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Myz

Best advice I've received thus far on this topic-Thanks

Good Point.

regarding opening rusted/seized bolts...
I work alone & since its my first project of this sort, I'm expecting hassles stripping a 20yr old car.It can be demotivating so i'd rather invest in the right tools upfront.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Get a torch... even a propane torch is enough sometimes to break free stubborn bolts/nuts.

Also, wire wheel + anti-seize will help things go back together and come apart easier next time

.norco.
10-22-2010, 10:47 PM
If you got the money to spend on a air compressor do it. Not only will you be able to use a impact but also other air tools.. cut off wheels, grinders ect.. Look for a air compressor that puts out at a min, 6CFM.. most tools need that.

for a gun, if you got money to spend. get the snapon mg725..

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs533.ash1/31263_10150219603845377_754085376_12907699_7541681_n.jpg

sillysod
10-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Only problem, like i stated before, is you need a GOOD air compressor. Mine is 240VAC 50 gallon and it's plumbed into the garage.

honestly the dewalt electric I have is something like 240ft/lbs of torque - which is enough for a lot of jobs. My 3/8 Ingersoll Rand little ratchet is 300ft/lbs and the Thunder gun is good for over 600 ft/lbs. It's not like the 1100+ ft/lbs that the Snap On has, but it was only around $400.00 and I have yet to find something it couldn't remove -- but then again I have a 1" gun for the big stuff.

The OP was looking for an expensive gun for removing wheels - which I'm sure the Crappy Tire one will do perfectly. But as far as electric vs. pnuematic goes nothing can touch a decent air gun.

syritis
10-23-2010, 03:32 AM
conclusions
if you only plan to be swapping wheels for 1-2 years.
- do it by hand

if you only plan on swapping wheels for several years.
- buy a dewalt or milwaukee electric impact gun

if you plan on doing anything more then just tires.
- get an quality air compressor (minimum 6cfm, 10gallon with air dryer) and an air impact gun from snap on or mac tools

if you plan on doing and painting or sand blasting
- buy a bigger quality air compressor, minimum 20 gallon, 10cfm with air dryer and pressure regulators.

Myz
10-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys.
My next question was going to revolve around compressor sizing but you covered that as well
Thanks again

Sugarphreak
10-23-2010, 09:38 AM

msommers
10-23-2010, 11:29 AM
My step dad was really pushing me to get pneumatic tools. However, the only job I'd be doing would be changing tires over quickly. I couldn't justify the cost and the space that air tools consume.

Maybe when I have my own house with garage and workshop, it will be something I pursue. For now, the little drill I have takes off the lugs timely and well, it speeds up taking off and on tires considerably.

If you're looking for any sort of longevity out of your toolset, pneumatic 100%.