PDA

View Full Version : Calling potential employer after sending resume

FraserB
10-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Just wondering how long after sending in a resume and not hearing back would it be advisable to call the potential employer and ask if they had any questions regarding it.

The job I applied for is at a smaller company that mostly hires through word of mouth. I had what seemed to be a good phone conversation with the president of the company and was told to email him my resume and dates that I was available to meet him and his business partner.

I am in my last year of school in a program that relates directly to what the company is doing and I would love to work at the type of company that it is. I just don't want to seem like I'm bugging them, but at the same time I would really love the job.

Tomaz
10-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Once a week. Usually mid-week. Never hurts to ask when they plan on filling the position.

Usually a time frame is specified by the employer.

Be prepared. Some places take months before hiring. EG: My company is taking interviews for a position opening in March of next year.

jdmXSI
10-14-2010, 12:03 PM
I personally wouldn't wait more than 48 hours and no sooner than 24. Even just to see if they had recieved your resume. Just my thoughts...

InRich
10-14-2010, 12:30 PM
DO IT!
I remember I got my first job just because I followed up. its professional, and it makes you look great and eager to learn

bignerd
10-14-2010, 12:34 PM
I would wait longer than 48 hours, people are busy, and if he hasn't looked at it yet he won't have anything to talk to you about... If you sent it this week I would call Monday morning.

PeterGTiR
10-14-2010, 12:36 PM
You should call to confirm that they did receive your resume. Ask the guy what he thought about it and if he feels you are qualified for the job (regardless of how you feel). Maybe there's somebody who has a more impressive resume than you, but if you call and ask questions, to me it shows the initiative that you're willing to improve and committed to your career.

sputnik
10-14-2010, 01:29 PM
My last job I applied for in April and didn't hear from them until mid July.

I wouldn't bother calling. It's not like it will help you at all.

When they are ready to hire someone, they will call you.

In the meantime, start sending resumes elsewhere. Who knows you might end up with multiple offers.

dandia89
10-14-2010, 01:33 PM
I've never heard of someone calling after handing in a resume, but I've heard in calling back after an interview. Is this a common practice? it makes you look eager, but at the same time you can look annoying.

ercchry
10-14-2010, 01:42 PM
never trust email... (that is assuming you emailed your resume) spam filters and the like... they may have never even received it... we even have emails internally that get caught up in the email system and we dont see them delivered for up to 5 days or so... or some times never

Stealth22
10-14-2010, 02:01 PM
I once e-mailed in a resume, got called for an interview. Interview went pretty well, I thought I'd nailed it. Week goes by and they don't call. I finally decide to call them, and the guy says "Didn't you get the offer letter we e-mailed you?"

Turned out okay in the end, but I almost lost a job because of a SPAM filter!! :facepalm:

sputnik
10-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22
I once e-mailed in a resume, got called for an interview. Interview went pretty well, I thought I'd nailed it. Week goes by and they don't call. I finally decide to call them, and the guy says "Didn't you get the offer letter we e-mailed you?"

Turned out okay in the end, but I almost lost a job because of a SPAM filter!! :facepalm:

They couldn't be bothered to phone you?

Waldi
10-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Don't call, there is usually no one who will take time to deal with you as they will get tons of phone calls and really until short list is made, no one will tell you anything anyway. Keep in mind that there might be hundreds of resumes submitted, no one will go and search for yours when you call.

boosted_Z
10-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Depends on the size of the employer and how bad you want the job.

Don't call reception hoping to find a person who has heard of you. But if you applied to a specific persons email address, it's not bad to call and ask. You could also call HR and ask where they are in the recruiting process, but have a specific position title or job # ready.

At worst they'll say they haven't looked at resumes or they don't know who you are, but you know where you stand. At best you impress someone and they throw your resume on the top of the stack.

PS - networking is a better way to find jobs and is worth the time invested.

Mazstyle
10-15-2010, 10:42 PM
I would try a casual follow up email, just asking if they recieved your resume and a time frame for when they plan to hire...

FraserB
10-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Well I called them this afternoon and asked if they had received it (sent Monday morning) and if they had any questions about it, they hadn't looked at it yet but knew who I was and that I might be a good fit from my conversation with the president last week. I was told to expect his call on Monday.

Thanks for the advice guys.:thumbsup:

adam c
10-15-2010, 11:47 PM
when i get people calling for jobs i end up ignoring them.. follow the proper procedures as lined out in the ad

Van Persie
10-16-2010, 10:06 AM
No harm done phoning them, shows you have some balls

Kobe
10-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Waldi
Don't call, there is usually no one who will take time to deal with you as they will get tons of phone calls and really until short list is made, no one will tell you anything anyway. Keep in mind that there might be hundreds of resumes submitted, no one will go and search for yours when you call.

Horrible advice!

Take a Business Comm class..

craigcd
10-21-2010, 10:03 AM
I have a similar question-

I applied for a position last Friday via email and asked they reply to ensure they recieved my resume. They emailed me back with a confirmation- so now i have the HR managers contact info.

Should i call back this friday to follow up or am i overdoing it?

Thanks

Craig