PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to vote Oct.18?

kvg
10-14-2010, 03:30 PM
I wanted to see how many of us were going to vote for the next mayor of Calgary and why you choose to or not to. I'm curious as the demographic of the Beyond community is on the younger side.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm voting for the first time. I'm 19.

D'z Nutz
10-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Yes I am voting. With the race being as tight as it is, I feel it's even more important for me to get in my opportunity to say who I feel should be our next mayor.

cet
10-14-2010, 03:40 PM
I voted yesterday.

Tik-Tok
10-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by kvg
I wanted to see how many of us were going to vote for the next mayor of Calgary and why you choose to or not to. I'm curious as the maturity of the Beyond community is on the younger side.

Fixed

guessboi
10-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Voting for sure.

Tomaz
10-14-2010, 03:51 PM
No.

(keep in mind, i cannot vote for Calgary as I do not live in the city)

I am not voting for an MP because there are 2 in my area (that even bothered to show up or advertise) and they are both saying the same thing. I swear they live together.

Thaco
10-14-2010, 03:51 PM
need an option for "i already voted in the advanced poll", because i did :)

beyond_ban
10-14-2010, 03:55 PM
I am voting for my first time.

Feruk
10-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Already voted as I'm currently living in Red Deer. I'm 26 and in previous elections I voted for some misguided idea that I need to in a democracy (and yet I always picked the candidate with the coolest name, run again Doug Service and Fred Powers)!

This election I voted just because I think Barb is an idiot and McIver is a disaster for Calgary. Had to boost up #3 runner up who actually has some brains. Also, it let me pick Poon for Alderman (till I spoiled my ballot with a "not really" next to her name when I discovered she was a woman). :)

kvg
10-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
need an option for "i already voted in the advanced poll", because i did :)
mod please modify pole I'm voting/I Have voted:thumbsup:

tch7
10-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Already voted. Never voted before, but this time it looks like my vote might actually make a difference.

Lex350
10-14-2010, 05:26 PM
I always vote. I don't take that privilege for granted.

toyboy88
10-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Already did yesterday, advanced voting at the UofC. :)

msommers
10-14-2010, 05:37 PM
We are lucky enough to be able to vote. It's irresponsible not to.

whiskas
10-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Already voted. Took 2 minutes.

ExtraSlow
10-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Voted already.

kvg
10-14-2010, 06:16 PM
I want to also hear from those who choose not to vote, and why?

Modelexis
10-14-2010, 06:27 PM
I won't be voting, but I'm not going to list my reasons because I don't feel like being attacked as is the norm on beyond.
The following posts would be beyonders wishing me to leave the country or some nonsense like that.

kvg
10-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
I won't be voting, but I'm not going to list my reasons because I don't feel like being attacked as is the norm on beyond.

Fair enough.
Sad but true.

300zxfairlday
10-14-2010, 06:35 PM
already voted *Go barb Go*

HiTempguy1
10-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by 300zxfairlday
already voted *Go barb Go*

What? You mean Higgins?

I wouldn't have voted for her after that interview LOL! She seems like a real winner that's for sure. :nut:

300zxfairlday
10-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

What? You mean Higgins?

I wouldn't have voted for her after that interview LOL! She seems like a real winner that's for sure. :nut:

If that was me during that interview I would have lost it alot more then she did. I think she actually handled it very well.

Guillermo
10-14-2010, 08:33 PM
The following posts would be beyonders wishing me to leave the country or some nonsense like that.

WHAT? YOU'RE NOT GOING TO VOTE???? PEOPLE LIKE YOU SHOULD JUST LEAVE THE EFFIN' COUNTRY ALREADY!!!! GO LIVE SOMEWHERE WHERE PEOPLE DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE!!!!

:rofl:

AE92_TreunoSC
10-14-2010, 08:38 PM
I just dont want to kick myself if higgins is elected. Anyone but her. Please.

/voting.

Thaco
10-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 300zxfairlday

If that was me during that interview I would have lost it alot more then she did. I think she actually handled it very well. however, it was after the interview she didn't handle so well

http://bit.ly/9i8ekO

she's a very different person behind the camera.

Lex350
10-14-2010, 10:58 PM
^ what do people expect from Barb? She is someone who has been paid over the years to read what other people write for her. Not really yhr solid basis you might look for in a mayor. Don;t get me wrong. I sat beside her on a plane to the US and she was va very nice person. Just not what I would look for in a mayor.

And Modelexus, shame on you for not voting! There is no excuse for that.

Modelexis
10-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Ahh the shame throwers. :D
It's ok, I don't take it personally.

FraserB
10-14-2010, 11:20 PM
I don't see a huge problem with people not voting. While it is their right to vote, it is also their right not to. If none of the candidates reflect your views, should you be forced to vote anyways?

But if you don't vote you have no right to complain about how things are run in the city.

TomcoPDR
10-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

But if you don't vote you have no right to complain about how things are run in the city.

But even if I didn't vote, why wouldn't I have the same "rights" to complain about something tho? Never understood that.

AE92_TreunoSC
10-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Any tax payer has a right to complain, regardless of voting.

I don't care either way, this year I have a reason to vote, previous years I did not.

black13
10-14-2010, 11:37 PM
well voting is basically a way of complaining on how the city should be run. If you don't go vote and some dumb idiot gets elected well then you had your chance.

It's the first time I'm voting for anything.

mx73someday
10-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by kvg
I want to also hear from those who choose not to vote, and why?

Originally posted by msommers
It's irresponsible not to.

I'll bite, because it should be so obvious. Why on earth would you want strangers to represent you in some of the most important matters of your life? This is the definition of irresponsibility. To be responsible would be to represent one's self and property and to hold no one else accountable.

Representation is a modern joke.

thepyrofish
10-15-2010, 07:46 AM
I'm voting, but not in Calgary. There are 3 councillor seats available in our village.

I was going to run (just for shits) but didn't get around to submitting my name. Maybe next time :)

tirebob
10-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Want to vote but we just moved to Airdrie earlier this year... I own a business in Calgary so I feel I should be able to, but can't seem to find any info if this makes me eligible... Going to have to make a few calls and see what I can find... :dunno:

Sugarphreak
10-15-2010, 08:03 AM

jazzyb
10-15-2010, 08:04 AM

move to kazakhistan

FraserB
10-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by thepyrofish
I was going to run (just for shits) but didn't get around to submitting my name. Maybe next time :)

Next time I'm going to toss my hat in for my ward, just to try and break 1000 votes.

ipeefreely
10-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by tirebob
Want to vote but we just moved to Airdrie earlier this year... I own a business in Calgary so I feel I should be able to, but can't seem to find any info if this makes me eligible... Going to have to make a few calls and see what I can find... :dunno:

Not too be rude, but why should you get more than one vote just because you have a business?? :nut:

Everyone else only gets one… :dunno:

kvg
10-15-2010, 10:14 AM
In my opinion with out the power to vote there is no vehicle to remove those whom abuse their position, further more there would be no need for accountability on any level of the people in control of the country. Voting for your MLA, alderman, and mayor is the first step. It is very important because people with special interests are overly represented in elections where there is a low voter turn out. I do agree you do have just as much of a right to vote as not to vote, but indifference is not a protest for change to a current system.

guessboi
10-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Voted yesterday at 6:45. Go Nenshi!

thepyrofish
10-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

Next time I'm going to toss my hat in for my ward, just to try and break 1000 votes.

I would have been happy if I got anyone to vote for me. Even 1 vote other than my own.

I was really hoping that since it is such a small town (300-ish residents) that maybe only a couple people would run and I would win a seat by default. Apparently 6 others thought they had a shot also, so I would have had to actually work at it to get anywhere.

I still think I'd like to run next time and actually try.

narou
10-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I voted on MRU Campus already.. Go Nenshi!

Tomaz
10-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by ipeefreely

Not too be rude, but why should you get more than one vote just because you have a business?? :nut:

Makes sense actually.

You want to vote for the candidate that represents your business and your home. If they are 2 different cities, then you will have 2 different ideas on how things are done.

Stealth22
10-15-2010, 11:41 AM
^ Well that guy lives in Airdrie, so he can't vote in Calgary. But he has a business here, so thats what he wants to know. He doesn't want two votes for Calgary, he wants one instead of zero. :dunno:

kvg
10-15-2010, 12:15 PM
The vote is given to residents as the have the biggest interest in how it is run.

Modelexis
10-15-2010, 12:18 PM
I was pondering this today and I thought of a sort of humorous(I think) way of solving this problem in a way the majority of beyond is familiar with.

I will take donations, and Sunday night I will look at my list of donators and choose one based on a sort of whim, and I will vote for the candidates that this person endorses.

That way I can see eye to eye with the rest of the voting population, who is so used to having their leader accept massive donations and who has no obligation to follow through on their campaign promises.

So if you would like to donate to me for a chance to have your candidate voted for, PM me and I'll give you my paypal.

:D :D (this is not serious(please don't PM me))

But if you find this manipulative or ridiculous I think you are starting to see my view point.

tirebob
10-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by ipeefreely

Not asking for two votes... Just A Vote...

Because I moved to Airdrie I am supposedly NOT ELIGIBLE to vote because I don't live in Calgary, but because I own a business here in Calgary, policies will definitely have a very real effect on me, my business and my employee's, so I am saying I should still be allowed to have a vote as I still pay Calgary taxes through my business...

Tik-Tok
10-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by tirebob

Not asking for two votes... Just A Vote...

Because I moved to Airdrie I am supposedly NOT ELIGIBLE to vote because I don't live in Calgary, but because I own a business here in Calgary, policies will definitely have a very real effect on me, my business and my employee's, so I am saying I should still be allowed to have a vote as I still pay Calgary taxes through my business...

No offense Bob, but that's ridiculous. Should the CEO of Walmart have a vote in Calgary too?

Guillermo
10-15-2010, 01:35 PM
I just voted on Tuesday.

To vote for mayor, the rules are that you must: 1) be a canadian citizen and 2) have lived in Alberta for at least 6 months. It doesn't matter where you live or work.

Now, if you want to vote for alderman, then it depends on where you live, and they will ask for your address in order to give you the appropriate ballot.

So all you guys complaining that you live in airdrie or whatever, you are eligible to vote for mayor.

Tik-Tok
10-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
I just voted on Tuesday.

To vote for mayor, the rules are that you must: 1) be a canadian citizen and 2) have lived in Alberta for at least 6 months. It doesn't matter where you live or work.

Now, if you want to vote for alderman, then it depends on where you live, and they will ask for your address in order to give you the appropriate ballot.

So all you guys complaining that you live in airdrie or whatever, you are eligible to vote for mayor.

You forgot the other important qualification

1. at least 18 years old;
2. a Canadian citizen;
3. a resident of the city of Calgary for Mayor and Alderman, and resident of the Calgary Board of Education for Public School Trustee or the Calgary Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 1 for Separate School Trustee; and
4. have resided in Alberta for six consecutive months immediately preceding Election Day.

Because letting someone from Edmonton vote for Calgary Mayor would be genius. :rofl:

ExtraSlow
10-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Should we take away your vote in Airdrie because you DON'T have a business there?
It is ridiculous. Sorry.

tirebob
10-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

No offense Bob, but that's ridiculous. Should the CEO of Walmart have a vote in Calgary too?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Should we take away your vote in Airdrie because you DON'T have a business there?
It is ridiculous. Sorry.

I think that if I have pay specific city taxes (and pretty hefty amounts I might add) to support your city programs and your city infrastructure that directly affect what is supplying those taxes to the city (IE my company), then absolutely I should have a vote. That is not rediculous in any way, shape or form!

Just like I pay provincial taxes and federal taxes, I have a right to vote for the policy that directly affects me. Just like I can vote in Aidrie as I pay my property taxes to the city there.

I think that is a totally fair and valid expectation. If I didn't own the company and simply ran it, then no it would not be realistic, but this is not the case...

beyond_ban
10-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Tik tok... So you're saying that noone outside of the CBE can vote for trustee? Why would candidates even both putting up signage then?

Tik-Tok
10-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
Tik tok... So you're saying that noone outside of the CBE can vote for trustee? Why would candidates even both putting up signage then?

Everyone in Calgary lives in a CBE area, didn't think that needed explaining :dunno: Also, I'm not saying it, it's a direct copy and paste from the City of Calgary website.

beyond_ban
10-15-2010, 02:02 PM

Everyone in Calgary lives in a CBE area, didn't think that needed explaining :dunno: Also, I'm not saying it, it's a direct copy and paste from the City of Calgary website.

Ohhh... i miss read it. Carry on.

mx73someday
10-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by kvg
In my opinion with out the power to vote there is no vehicle to remove those whom abuse their position

Voting does not prevent politicians from abusing their positions. It just limits the amount of time they have to do so. There is nothing preventing a chain of power hungry and self-interested people from winning positions election after election.

It is very important because people with special interests are overly represented in elections where there is a low voter turn out.

The influence of special interests is not a product of low voter turn out, it's a product of a flawed government system that does not defend individual rights.

Ergo-Sun-Tzu
10-15-2010, 02:46 PM
I am going to vote on Oct 18. I don't want my tax money spent on a useless $25M designer bridge.

kvg
10-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday

The influence of special interests is not a product of low voter turn out, it's a product of a flawed government system that does not defend individual rights.

If the a group INDIVIDUALS out number other INDIVIDUALS in a democratic process, the larger group of voters win do they not?

Luang
10-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Im not voting the KFC Double Down Sandwich is out that day :D

http://monsterfresh.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/KFC-double-down.jpg

spikerS
10-15-2010, 03:10 PM
I will be voting on Monday.

GO MCIVER!

TorqueDog
10-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Ergo-Sun-Tzu
I am going to vote on Oct 18. I don't want my tax money spent on a useless $25M designer bridge. Too fucking late, find a better reason to vote. None of the candidates are going to stop this bridge. Get over it, it's done, money is as good as spent. What you should be focussing on is choosing a candidate who won't allow this sort of thing to happen again.

beyond_ban
10-15-2010, 03:15 PM
I ate a double down today, and i vote for McIver on Monday.

Luang
10-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
I ate a double down today, and i vote for McIver on Monday.

where u get one?

beyond_ban
10-15-2010, 03:41 PM
KFC off bow bottom trail.

Guillermo
10-15-2010, 03:45 PM

You forgot the other important qualification

1. at least 18 years old;
2. a Canadian citizen;
3. a resident of the city of Calgary for Mayor and Alderman, and resident of the Calgary Board of Education for Public School Trustee or the Calgary Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 1 for Separate School Trustee; and
4. have resided in Alberta for six consecutive months immediately preceding Election Day.

Because letting someone from Edmonton vote for Calgary Mayor would be genius. :rofl:

Where did you get that? When I went to vote, they only asked is I was a citizen and if i've lived in alberta for at least 6 months.

Tik-Tok
10-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

Where did you get that? When I went to vote, they only asked is I was a citizen and if i've lived in alberta for at least 6 months.

Did you not need to show your drivers license, or other proof of ID?

This is straight off the City website
http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_780_237_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/City+Clerks+Department/Election+and+Information+Services/2010+General+Election/Information+for+Electors+-+Voters.htm#Who%20Can%20Vote?

Guillermo
10-15-2010, 06:27 PM

Did you not need to show your drivers license, or other proof of ID?

This is straight off the City website
http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_780_237_0_43/http%3B/content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/City+Clerks+Department/Election+and+Information+Services/2010+General+Election/Information+for+Electors+-+Voters.htm#Who%20Can%20Vote?

I have an out of province license, so I used my Alberta Health Card... and all they asked was whether I was a Canadian citizen, and if I've lived in Alberta for at least 6 months. I voted for alderman, too, so they asked for my address to look up which ballot i needed.

ZeeZee
10-15-2010, 08:03 PM
I agree with this guy 100%

http://calgarypolitics.com/2010/10/15/why-i-dont-want-you-to-vote/

Sugarphreak
10-15-2010, 08:08 PM

Sugarphreak
10-15-2010, 08:15 PM

ExtraSlow
10-15-2010, 09:02 PM
What about people who run large companies with branches in several jurisdictions. Jim Treliving owns businesses in about a thousand Canadian jurisdictions (Boston Pizza, Mr Lube and others) so, should he get a thousand votes?

Guillermo
10-15-2010, 09:14 PM
What about people who run large companies with branches in several jurisdictions. Jim Treliving owns businesses in about a thousand Canadian jurisdictions (Boston Pizza, Mr Lube and others) so, should he get a thousand votes?

nah, they don't need to vote... they have influence via other means. :devil:

tirebob
10-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

The main problem I see with this Bob is that one person can run multiple companies... so technically you could have one person with a personal vote and ten (or even 100) company votes.

Also another complication arises when you start getting into multiple share holders where everybody has less than 50% of the holding. Do they have to vote internally within the company first? Then how would you verify the person who is representing that company would mark the ballot as agreed as it is done in secrecy?

Finally what about companies that are larger than others, technically speaking those companies would be impacted more by the government policies laid out much more and it would seem wrong for a company with potentially thousands of local employees just to get 1 vote when somebody running a personal services business (contract position with a company) would have exactly the same corporate voting power.

I think it is a good point, but logistically it would be impossible to keep it fair.

I don't think it would be a difficult matter to limit any vote to one vote for one individual, not matter how many business's a person may own. Just like an individual could own multiple private properties within the city does not get miltiple votes... He only legally gets one. Whether I own a business or a residence (or both) should not have affect my right to cast a vote for the learder of the city I pay taxes too. One person = 1 vote... That is pretty simple. All I am saying is that the ownership of a business within the city should give me my one vote just as a resident of the city has a vote.

Now I could see how logistically having a single share in a company of a million shares (as an example) could pose an issue, but it would not be that difficult to set a minimum ownership level to be eligible for a vote that would need to be proved for registering. For arguments sake, say this ownership percentage was set at a minimum 50%, I could have to produce my corporate return showing that I own 50% of the shares in my business before being eligible. I don't think that is too difficult to administer...

Absolutely he should have a single vote in any city he owns and operates a business and pays city taxes! Why not??? It would be no different than if I owned multiple residences in multiple cities... If I had a house in Edmonton, and a house in Red Deer, and a house in Calgary etc, I could cast my individual vote in each and every one of those cities, so why am I penalized that I own a business instead of a house? Something that contributes a lot of money as well as employment to the city that I want a hand in the direction its politics go? I feel it is more than fair to allow business owners a voice.

Again, I am not suggesting that any individual be allowed more than his single vote. Not a vote for a house as well as a vote for a business...

Sugarphreak
10-15-2010, 10:22 PM

tirebob
10-15-2010, 11:01 PM

Ah, I see what you are getting at. Changing your voting jurisdiction to suit your business needs rather than your personal ones.

I think the principles behind the current structure are as they exist now because a business is really an entity rather than a recognized person.

I do agree with this assesment 100%, although I feel it isn't fair...

I feel that business ownership should be treated similar to residence as the effect is almost the same, if not more beneficial to the masses of the city, over simple residency As well as contributing lots of taxes to the city specifically, my business contributes employment, services, and supports the local economy by purchasing tens of hundreds of thousands of dollars of products and services from other local business' and individuals. How is that less valid a reason to vote compared to simple residency?

Say for instance if you own a business in Calgary and one in Edmonton, yet you live in BC... you would not only have to choose one business over the other, also over your personal vote.

Well in a case like that, why shouldn't I get a vote in all 3? Again, this is assuming I am paying full city taxes etc in all area's, either property or business, why should I not be allowed a single individual vote in each city I actively contribute too? I would definitely not suggest more than one vote per city, which is something I would totally disagree with for sure...

The reality is it would be more incovenient for me to try and do all this in multiple sities, but in theory why should I not be allowed my vote where I pay to exist and contribute to the local society?

FraserB
10-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Voting on Monday and then staying around to help as a scrutineer. Its always interesting to see how everything works and participate in the mechanisms that drive the election.

Melinda
10-16-2010, 01:06 AM
Definitely voting, as I always do!

Sugarphreak
10-16-2010, 02:39 PM

kvg
10-18-2010, 12:02 AM
This poll has sat around 80% the entire time, that's huge!! In the last election
There was a 33% voter turn out.

spikerS
10-18-2010, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by kvg
This poll has sat around 80% the entire time, that's huge!! In the last election
There was a 33% voter turn out.

yep, but only about 33% of the people that said they voted, will.

derpderp
10-18-2010, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't forget this poll is in a forum topic based around politics, obviously the demographic has caused a skewed result.