PDA

View Full Version : Yay...First snow!!!

projekz
10-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Well, it's that time of the year again. It's been snowing all morning here in Tuscany. Obviously not gonna stick but it's a reminder of what's coming. Everyone get you snow tires on.

I'm starting to think Calgary is gonna be reduced down to two seasons: Cold and less Cold :rofl:

KristenA
10-15-2010, 10:02 AM
:thumbsdow

403Gemini
10-15-2010, 10:04 AM
I knew I shoulda put my winters tires on over the long weekend... why do I make this mistake every year? :rofl:

narou
10-15-2010, 10:04 AM
When is the real snow gonna start :P? I dont wanna go fetch my tires from storage yet.

taemo
10-15-2010, 10:07 AM
yay.. snowboard season is near :clap:

have the civic booked next thursday
have the wrx booked next friday

cdnsir
10-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Looks like it'll be a early winter this year... Usually I can wait till Nov, but the winters tires are coming on this weekend.

sputnik
10-15-2010, 10:10 AM
First snow?

Hasn't Calgary had snow almost every month this year?

GoChris
I usually wait until it snows once. An advantage of being able to change them over in my driveway.

Unknown303
:clap: :clap: :clap: it's finally happened! Can't wait for the city to have a healthy coating.

Tomaz
10-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Booking appointment with Urban X right now! lol

Fuck I hate winter.

Disoblige
10-15-2010, 10:14 AM
There is no way I'm putting on Winter tires now.

From what it looks like, it's just beginning to snow but nothing major that will stay yet. What I see now is barely anything. Maybe sometime in November.

msommers
10-15-2010, 10:15 AM
I'll probably wait until Halloween. Never fails that day is cold and shitty, marking the upcoming thread "Calgary drivers after first major snowfall" thread.

taemo
10-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by msommers
I'll probably wait until Halloween. Never fails that day is cold and shitty, marking the upcoming thread "Calgary drivers after first major snowfall" thread.

iirc it started snowing a week before halloween last year.

I remember because I had to drive my car on summer tires 2 days before I had my car booked and on turns I was going all over the places.

gretz
10-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Its all of this global warming I've been hearing about again

FraserB
10-15-2010, 10:21 AM
The shitty driving started this morning on Crowchild. First flakes hit and retards slam the brakes on so they can go 60 rather than 80.:nut:

derpderp
10-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Zigo
10-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Fuuucccccck, I missed out on the season of my bike. Every part seemed to blow out on it. Still hope for next week.

4x4 with all seasons.. I should probably get some winters, but I drove it everyday last year with no problems.

adam c
10-15-2010, 10:27 AM
blah... still have my summers on at least i have underground parking where i can swap them over

kvg
10-15-2010, 10:28 AM
I put on my winters 2 days ago.:bigpimp: Fuck I hate snow:thumbsdow

kaput
10-15-2010, 10:30 AM

Masked Bandit
10-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by gretz
Its all of this global warming I've been hearing about again

That's so 2005, it's "Climate Change" now.

e31
10-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Don't worry, David Suzuki has both covered. He complained about the impending global ice age in the 70's and now he complains about the global warming.

So now at the risk of eating shit yet again, David Suzuki will probably keep on with his global warming idiocy instead of reverting back to his pre-80's bullshit on the ice age.

..*JDM Hatch*..
10-15-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by taemo
yay.. snowboard season is near :clap:

Cannot wait for this season :)

The only thing good about snow.

ericchoweg
10-15-2010, 11:20 AM
its not gonna stick but happy to actually know snowboarding is right around the corner

max_boost
10-15-2010, 11:31 AM
When the day high temperatures are consistently in the minuses, that's when the winters will go on :D

Cooked Rice
10-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Just got some studded duratracs on wed :bigpimp: winter trails :D

Nels
10-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Snow starting in Lethbridge now|

jwslam
10-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
I knew I shoulda put my winters tires on over the long weekend... why do I make this mistake every year? :rofl:
I was just saying to my buddy actually... the thanksgiving to victoria day rule.
And he gave me a "fuck that" lol.
Weather Network shows no precipitation for the next 7 days though :dunno: of course, they suck ass, so....

phubu
10-15-2010, 02:19 PM
we should get a beyond snowboarding crew going!

codetrap
10-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Meh. I'm getting the jump on this. Rotating my winters on next week. Thanks Tirebob. :)

thrasher22
10-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Stoked! That means the ski season is close and I get to put on my winter tires, which have WAY better handling than my shitty all-seasons and don't leak (fck I'm ghetto)

HiTempguy1
10-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Happiness is a Subaru with winter tires in snow.

If you see somebody in a 2.5RS with pink 15's sliding by you, that would be me :clap:

eblend
10-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Are people really that afraid of snow? This isn't going to stick around and it might just be snow free for a while, why bother waste perfectly good winter tires driving on asphalt, which wears them down pretty quick. Not like you can't drive with what you have on now, just take it easy and you will manage for the day the storm actully hits, then change it over, no sense changing them just cuz of one snowfall (which melted faster then it came down).

I never even drove on winter tires, simply because I don't drive enough to warrant getting a set, but in my younger days I made it through a few winters on summer sports tires and currently drive a RWD car during the winter time on all seasons, and never really had any issues. Just have to have some sense when driving and you will be fine. There is no doubt snow tires help, I just don't see the panic of throwing them on so early, only to wear them down and make them less effective come real snow.

copynpaste
10-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Are people really that afraid of snow? This isn't going to stick around and it might just be snow free for a while, why bother waste perfectly good winter tires driving on asphalt, which wears them down pretty quick. Not like you can't drive with what you have on now, just take it easy and you will manage for the day the storm actully hits, then change it over, no sense changing them just cuz of one snowfall (which melted faster then it came down).

I never even drove on winter tires, simply because I don't drive enough to warrant getting a set, but in my younger days I made it through a few winters on summer sports tires and currently drive a RWD car during the winter time on all seasons, and never really had any issues. Just have to have some sense when driving and you will be fine. There is no doubt snow tires help, I just don't see the panic of throwing them on so early, only to wear them down and make them less effective come real snow.

Well said. I wait for as long as possible (late Oct-early Nov) to put my winters on mainly to save wearing out my winters on dry asphalt. Its wear and tear you can avoid.

This morning wasnt even solid snow, it was more like mist snow.

..*JDM Hatch*..
10-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by phubu
we should get a beyond snowboarding crew going!

i am sure that would be a pretty good turn out.

masoncgy
10-16-2010, 12:12 AM
First snow? It snowed already in September, not a lot, but it did.

I scraped frost on August 31st... the snow was a day or two later I believe.

I thought of Calgary this morning as I stared out of my windows at the clear blue Island sky. Hopefully this winter in Calgary isn't as painful as last year's was.

VetteRacin
10-16-2010, 01:12 AM
Ordered my winter tires today actually, picked a good day lol

SCHIDER23
10-16-2010, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
When the day high temperatures are consistently in the minuses, that's when the winters will go on :D

:werd:

LMAO :rofl: , man a little drizzle and people are switching to winters already wow, I still have my summers on both my cars, will probably won't switch till the end of October or start of November, no point in switching them, since it is still way too warm for winters, I actually heard a studded Merc on deerfoot today, man was it loud.:facepalm:

Canmorite
10-16-2010, 08:07 AM
I put my winters on yesterday. It's getting colder :dunno:

A790
10-17-2010, 08:44 AM
I know I say this every year, but fuck this. I'm moving.

codetrap
10-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't winter tires just as much about temperature on dry pavement as their traction on ice? So, since the average temperature is dropping now enough that we're getting the odd bit of snow, that would seem to indicate that i ts time to switch to cold weather tires?

Cos
10-17-2010, 09:08 AM
+7 is the magic number IIRC. Anything over +7 and the tires start to heat up way to much and wear very fast.

Driving back from Pincher Creek on Friday for work, there was so much snow in Nanton and north on the highway I had to do 60k an hour in 4Hi and there were at least 3 or 4 cars in the ditch.

cycosis
10-17-2010, 10:55 AM
^ fuck thats no good, its clear here in Lethbridge. I only have my shitty "sport" all seasons. I was hoping I could keep the car on the roads until november 12th. :( Its gonna be a long slow drive back to Calgary if that snow stays put or gets more...

projekz
10-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Cos
+7 is the magic number IIRC. Anything over +7 and the tires start to heat up way to much and wear very fast.

Driving back from Pincher Creek on Friday for work, there was so much snow in Nanton and north on the highway I had to do 60k an hour in 4Hi and there were at least 3 or 4 cars in the ditch.

I'm pretty sure you're right. It's +7 when winter tire become efficient.

max_boost
10-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Ya I guess it depends what kind of winters you have. If you got H rated or higher speed rating then you can maintain the performance aspect of your car. But I got some soft T-rated iPikes and it turns my 200hp GTI into a 115hp City Golf lol

But even driving through that slushy stuff, I was perfectly comfortable so to each their own but mind you if the temperature was in the minuses and the stuff froze, I would be singing a different tune lol

boarderfatty
10-17-2010, 01:48 PM
I put my winters on the porsche first week in september. My Dunlop Sportmaxx GT summer tires are iffy in wet conditions, and I didn't want to risk trying them in slushy or icy conditions, so when I heard a snow warning for Sunday sept 5th I was in on sat sept 4th getting them put on. since them the weather in Edmonton has been beautiful.

revelations
10-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by A790
I know I say this every year, but fuck this. I'm moving.

I'm looking for a place that offers:

- good mtn biking, year round
- low taxes (like AB)
- lots of skilled work
- little snow
- mild winters, mild summers
- lots of sun (like Calgary)
- not too populated (eg. So Cal)

Oregon has been in the back of my mind for years - not sure which city though.

Australia as well - south west coast/Perth area.

msommers
10-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Auz or Oregon support have your line of work? If so, get the hell out of here!

HiTempguy1
10-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by revelations

From what I understand, be prepared to be raped in taxes. Portland is a truly beautiful city, I love it there. But it is also full of tree hugging hippies :banghead:

revelations
10-17-2010, 05:40 PM
double post

revelations
10-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Auz or Oregon support have your line of work? If so, get the hell out of here!

Dont tempt me.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

From what I understand, be prepared to be raped in taxes. Portland is a truly beautiful city, I love it there. But it is also full of tree hugging hippies :banghead:

Ya I've heard same. I wonder how it compares to Calgary area though, eg. city taxes, income taxes, property taxes.

msommers
10-17-2010, 09:15 PM
If I could do my job in Auz, I'd be gone in a heartbeat. Hell even Oregon I'd be gone pretty quick.

EvolutionI
10-17-2010, 11:04 PM

- low taxes (like AB)
- lots of skilled work
- little snow

Pretty much my list, except warm summers, short drive to the mountains (3 hours max), and not populated with people who can't speak english.

Wrinkly
10-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by kaput
I've had winters on since August :rofl:

Me - last October (2009) :rofl: :rofl:

Originally posted by masoncgy
First snow? It snowed already in September, not a lot, but it did.

For sure on September 17th. I will never forget it - because my daughter was in a roll over accident as a result. According to the police, the first one of the season.

pyroza
10-18-2010, 02:49 AM

- low taxes (like AB)
- lots of skilled work
- little snow

Colorado seems to fit the bill quite nicely...Colorado Springs and Boulder are very nice cities, and you want to talk about good mountain biking...

Jeremiah
10-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Oregon is beautiful!

Beaverton/Eugene/Portland!