PDA

View Full Version : Are there any fast Jap imports?

SRT
10-15-2010, 05:33 PM
After the Vette and Viper sent the Supra, RX7, 3000GT and 300ZX packing back to Japan in the 90's for being overpriced and slow, whats left? (the vette is currently helping the R35 GTR pack its bags)

EVO, WRX?

msommers
10-15-2010, 05:49 PM
GTR is much faster than an EVO or WRX haha. The corvette is a special case, it beats everything at its price point. Competitive cars cost significantly more. I think the Lexus IS-F might try but again, vettes are tough to beat.

I guess it depends what your definition of fast is.

kvg
10-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Joe blowin the ZR1 vs Joe Blow in the GTR, the guy in the GTR will look like the stig.

blackpeople
10-15-2010, 05:52 PM
In what aspect of performance do you think the vette and the viper were beating Japanese cars?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-15-2010, 05:53 PM
GTRs are cheaper than ZR1s from what ive seen :dunno: ?

kvg
10-15-2010, 05:58 PM
You better be a champ in a viper or vette to track it to its potential and not bail. The gtr is a all together different type of car. Better or worse depends on weather your a purist or not.

slinkie
10-15-2010, 06:05 PM
no

SRT
10-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Not sayin the GTR isn't a wicked car but the guys voting with their wallets dont seem to like it, they sell next to none of them in North America.

The Z06 is the same price as a GTR, ZR1 is $40K~ more.

This isnt a domestic vs import thread, I am asking if they sell any fast Jap imports.

ISF is OK...but I'd place it last against any other super sedan.

slinkie
10-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by blackpeople
In what aspect of performance do you think the vette and the viper were beating Japanese cars?

ring times

price

SRT
10-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by kvg
You better be a champ in a viper or vette to track it to its potential and not bail. The gtr is a all together different type of car. Better or worse depends on weather your a purist or not.

Snake oil myth.

Last summer at Cayuga road course I saw a built EVO with slicks get its ass handed to it (lapped 3 times) by a stock Z06 that was driven to the track.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianDSM#p/u/5/qrVDDoygJhI

kvg
10-15-2010, 06:12 PM
is fast to you track, acceleration, or top speed? Honest question

HiSpec
10-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Are we comparing strictly based on price? What about horsepower level?
If comparing based on horsepower we should include the Germans and Europeans since they are 'imports' as well.

SRT
10-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by kvg
is fast to you track, acceleration, or top speed? Honest question

All the above

slinkie
10-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
Are we comparing strictly based on price? What about horsepower level?
If comparing based on horsepower we should include the Germans and Europeans since they are 'imports' as well.

you came into a thread with 'jap imports' in the title asking for 'german AND european' cars to be included in the discussion?

Sentry
10-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Them there jap imports

SRT
10-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
Them there jap imports

Apparently gave up on building performance cars

jaysas_63
10-15-2010, 06:30 PM
IMO both Japanese and American car companies lack selection of desirable sports cars...the only ones i can think of wanting to own in both markets are the ZR1, and the GTR (and possibly the CTS-V)....not too much selection when you start thinking of what the German market offers with numerous AMGs and ///Ms, the 997 turbos, and the R8

962 kid
10-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Lexus LF-A

SRT
10-15-2010, 06:44 PM
American car companies lack selection of desirable sports cars

HUH?

SRT
10-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid
Lexus LF-A

HUH?

962 kid
10-15-2010, 06:50 PM
This thing right here:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/10/2011_Lexus_LFA.JPG

You asked for fast Japanese imports. This is the top pick atm.

sr20s14zenki
10-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Hmmm, i thought you were done with your troll posts OP. Theres lots of imports, be it japanese, or german, or from whatever other country you want to list, that will spank most if not all of what america has to offer. It really just depends what you are looking for . For bang for the buck, i would be willing to bet a gtr would spank a z06 or a viper around the track no problem, and it costs less than the viper and the same as the z06

game, set, and match?

Oh, and LFA, but you dont get bang for your buck on that car, you get status, thats it.

yah the zr1 beats the gtr, but for way more money. I think the gtr would be cheap to mod enough to whup the zr1 ;)

speaking of toyota....2jz can take 1000 hp unopened.....show me an american engine that does/did that in that era.

300zx tt is no slouch either...and competed/beat the american cars of the same era

in short...wtf are you talking about?

Drsuce
10-15-2010, 07:56 PM
barnyard engineering vs technology..... i love domestics but imports "stop" at a sane level! a ZRI is by no means sane, my guess is that 95% of this forum could not take a lap in a zr1 and push it to its limits without going beyond, my mother however could take a lap in a GTR and not crash :P

japs tend to build a fast car, then add lux to boot.

not like a ZR1 is a 60k car either... you can pickup a used exotic cheaper than a zr1!

kvg
10-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Nürburgring lap times / 0-60 / top

Viper ACR 7:21.1 / 3.5 / 202
ZR1 7:24.4 / 3.3 / 210
GTR 7:24.7 / 3.2 / 193

SRT
10-15-2010, 08:15 PM
[i], my guess is that 95% of this forum could not take a lap in a zr1 and push it to its limits without going beyond, my mother however could take a lap in a GTR and not crash :P

japs tend to build a fast car, then add lux to boot.

not like a ZR1 is a 60k car either... you can pickup a used exotic cheaper than a zr1! [/B]

Fuck off, you havent driven either car, this entire website needs to stop with the "but I watched a youtube video" bullshit claims. You know and have experienced NOTHING. Half of you dont even have drivers licenses....gay.

SRT
10-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by kvg
Nürburgring lap times / 0-60 / top

Viper ACR 7:21.1 / 3.5 / 202
ZR1 7:24.4 / 3.3 / 210
GTR 7:24.7 / 3.2 / 193

slinkie
10-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
IMO both Japanese and American car companies lack selection of desirable sports cars...the only ones i can think of wanting to own in both markets are the ZR1, and the GTR (and possibly the CTS-V)....not too much selection when you start thinking of what the German market offers with numerous AMGs and ///Ms, the 997 turbos, and the R8

agreed

would personally rather have zr1 over gtr....but would cut off some appendages for either

strong troll thread but brings up a good point, where are today's affordable sports cars?

Originally posted by SRT

Fuck off, you havent driven either car, this entire website needs to stop with the "but I watched a youtube video" bullshit claims. You know and have experienced NOTHING. Half of you dont even have drivers licenses....gay.
you mad? but again a valid point, i see a lot of regurgitation from top gear or what have you, from people driving civics

heavyD
10-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by SRT

Half of you dont even have drivers licenses....gay.

You know what's gay?

This thread.:poosie:

sr20s14zenki
10-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

You know what's gay?

+1

:devil: :whipped:

Phenix
10-15-2010, 08:21 PM
In the winter, nothing beats a sti or a evo with winter tires.

SRT
10-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Hmmm, i thought you were done with your troll posts OP. Theres lots of imports, be it japanese, or german, or from whatever other country you want to list, that will spank most if not all of what america has to offer. It really just depends what you are looking for . For bang for the buck, i would be willing to bet a gtr would spank a z06 or a viper around the track no problem, and it costs less than the viper and the same as the z06

game, set, and match?

Oh, and LFA, but you dont get bang for your buck on that car, you get status, thats it.

yah the zr1 beats the gtr, but for way more money. I think the gtr would be cheap to mod enough to whup the zr1 ;)

speaking of toyota....2jz can take 1000 hp unopened.....show me an american engine that does/did that in that era.

300zx tt is no slouch either...and competed/beat the american cars of the same era

in short...wtf are you talking about?

The no drivers license stigma goes to this idiot...No drivers license, no knowledge about cars, no actual facts...

bring it..I asked if there were any fast Jap shit boxes. Are there?

black13
10-15-2010, 08:22 PM
trolling at its best.

sr20s14zenki
10-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by SRT

The no drivers license stigma goes to this idiot...No drivers license, no knowledge about cars, no actual facts...

bring it..I asked if there were any fast Jap shit boxes. Are there?

I told you in the last thread you were running your mouth, bring whatever junk you have to race city and ill bring mine....i ran a 12.7 on low boost with radials...i will run 11 and leave you in the dirt.

100$ bet still stands, bring it or shut your face.

kvg
10-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

You know what's gay?

:closed:

msommers
10-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
strong troll thread but brings up a good point, where are today's affordable sports cars?

It really depends what your definition of affordable is and how fast and how capable the handling is out of the box.

<$45,000 range

Cobalt SS
Nissan 370z coupe
Hyundai Genesis
WRX STI
BMW 135i
Mitsubishi Evo GSR

I'm sure I missed something.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-15-2010, 08:33 PM
^Mustang and Camaro?

kvg
10-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by SRT

Half of you dont even have drivers licenses....gay.

Why are you on here champ?
I love computer tuff guys.

blackpeople
10-15-2010, 08:43 PM

I told you in the last thread you were running your mouth, bring whatever junk you have to race city and ill bring mine....i ran a 12.7 on low boost with radials...i will run 11 and leave you in the dirt.

100$ bet still stands, bring it or shut your face. im willing to bet that he makes excuses like the other clown that i called out

CMW403
10-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by SRT

Fuck off, you havent driven either car, this entire website needs to stop with the &quot;but I watched a youtube video&quot; bullshit claims. You know and have experienced NOTHING. Half of you dont even have drivers licenses....gay.

dude u r so tuff.

sr20s14zenki
10-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by blackpeople
im willing to bet that he makes excuses like the other clown that i called out

He did in the last thread already, was talking about his car, and then all the sudden when i called him out it went to "ill call my buddy and see if he wants to bring his srt8 out"

good job champ :rolleyes:

kevie88
10-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Poll: Ban OP?

blackpeople
10-15-2010, 08:50 PM

He did in the last thread already, was talking about his car, and then all the sudden when i called him out it went to &quot;ill call my buddy and see if he wants to bring his srt8 out&quot;

weak lol:thumbsdow

badatusrnames
10-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by SRT
After the Vette and Viper sent the Supra, RX7, 3000GT and 300ZX packing back to Japan in the 90's for being overpriced and slow, whats left? (the vette is currently helping the R35 GTR pack its bags)

EVO, WRX?

Obvious troll is obvious....

I don't think you can really draw comparison with the Japanese sports cars of the early 90's with those of today. At the time of their introduction, these cars spanked the best America had to offer.

You're right though, but the time they were killed off, they had become overpriced overseas, a victim of a rising Yen versus the American dollar.

Slow? Near the end sure, they had become slow compared to the competition in factory from. Japanese manufacturers were honoring a gentleman's agreement to restrict output, but those cars were built to be easily put out bigger numbers. 400 crank HP with stock turbos for a Z built in 1989 isn't too bad.

Competition is good though, the American manufacturers responded, and built better cars. Unfortunately, the Japanese manufacturers didn't keep pace. The Z32 for example, competed with the Corvette and Porsche 944 Turbo. Today's Z is in the Mustang segment.

If we're talking about today, I'd go with the Corvette for sure. Today Japan doesn't really have much that competes IMHO.

PS. What exactly do you drive OP? I'd guess that you don't have your drivers license...

kvg
10-15-2010, 08:53 PM

He did in the last thread already, was talking about his car, and then all the sudden when i called him out it went to &quot;ill call my buddy and see if he wants to bring his srt8 out&quot;

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Team_Mclaren
10-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

since when do we need a poll to ban! :rofl::thumbsup:

Rui M
10-15-2010, 08:58 PM
american cars have been owning everything else lately when it comes to out of the box performance. Just look at the srt line up, shitty interiors or not they do come with brembos and 500hp.

sr20s14zenki
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was hoping he or his buddy would bring their "car" to the track

kvg
+1 for ban

http://www.flayme.com/images/clown.png

badatusrnames
10-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

:rofl: Who pulled the trigger?

It's almost kind of sad though, without new user registrations, I'm worried things are going to get a bit boring without people like him.

You need the odd troll post/flame war to keep things interesting.

kvg
10-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Team_Mclaren :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hammer time

msommers
10-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Rui M
american cars have been owning everything else lately when it comes to out of the box performance. Just look at the srt line up, shitty interiors or not they do come with brembos and 500hp.

My initial concern would be how long can these vehicles make 500hp reliably? I honestly haven't looked into it.

Intuitively, I want to be pessimistic about it. I get the feeling the Big 3 are having a dick measuring contest again and just going for impressive hp/tq numbers. Looking at some of these tq numbers for their trucks and towing capacities. Who the fuck needs and is capable of towing 15,000lbs?! If they can make power consistently and reliably, very impressive.

What would be more impressive, to me anyways, would be better handling character. Domestics have always been notorious for going fast straight and shitting the bed once a turn is involved (corvette aside). Hopefully, I'm wrong with these new vehicles as I haven't had a chance to test drive any of them yet.

shakalaka
10-15-2010, 09:31 PM
While I agree that this douche annoyed the crap out of me, right from his very first post, you can't ban everyone like that around here. Especially after the registration has been taken off. It will get way too boring if we don't have anyone that we can make fun off.

badatusrnames
10-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
While I agree that this douche annoyed the crap out of me, right from his very first post, you can't ban everyone like that around here. Especially after the registration has been taken off. It will get way too boring if we don't have anyone that we can make fun off.

:werd: Or we need a three strikes and you're out type rule...

Scuderia
10-15-2010, 09:50 PM
LOL wow that guy really got banned? Really? Even though he was an idiot he still knew his cars and contributed/posted almost everything new concerning dodge/chrysler/jeep. Even this thread was half decent until the walmart driver license accusations started getting thrown around.

BokCh0y
10-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

:werd: Or we need a three strikes and you're out type rule...

I'm pretty sure he's aleady had his 3 strikes....

I sir, applaud the motion of the douche having been banned.:clap:

Also i was sick of kkk attitude towards non-american made cars. Fuck...i just wanna drive'em like i stole'em.

kvg
10-15-2010, 10:51 PM
I've found most of the people on here are awesome. Some people are smart asses and that's cool it adds intrest, but there is the occasional douche on here that just trolls. The ban hammer is isn't used very often. Good Ban:thumbsup:

dirtsniffer
10-15-2010, 10:57 PM
haha, im glad srt is gone, he was always loading the auto news section with garbage:barf:

DonJuan
10-16-2010, 09:44 AM
:clap: for da ban hammer.

I never thought I'd say the LF-A was good, but it made the OP not wanna touch that with a ten foot pole.

GTR FTW OMG NO WAI WTF BBQ

rediculars

where would we be without trolls?

Tik-Tok
10-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Scuderia
Even this thread was half decent until the walmart driver license accusations started getting thrown around.

That was the problem though. This isn't the first troll thread he started, then got all pissy when people had valid arguments against him and HE started the 5 year old name calling.

CMW403
10-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka

I disagree, he never made anything interesting he just pissed people off and called people names.

Good ban Mods!

Drsuce
10-16-2010, 07:37 PM
i have driven neither car, however i do drive a 300hp cobra... 500+hp+rearwheel drive = crashed car for the general public. use your fucking brain!

talking about civics, the build quality of a civic interior is twice that of a corvette.... *shrug*

n1zm0
10-17-2010, 02:49 PM
didnt even read the thread but thank you mods for banning this ignorant pos, we seem to have a record going for Dodge/Chrysler fanboy trolls.