PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gifts for Filipinos

TomcoPDR
10-16-2010, 02:17 AM
Question:

At the place I work, I'm working with a great bunch of non-Canadian Filipino foreign workers (i.e. think of Tim Hortons for the past 4-5 years or McDicks or just the Airport)

They are good peoples who love to karaoke.

I just can't think of anything to get them for Christmas, they are dudes, 10-15 of them... Don't wanna do the pay-for-hooker thing because the last thing I wanna do is be the reason for their deportation, so that's out.

I asked a Canadian Filipino friend, he says buy them EACH a box of SPAM (ham), cuz they'll send it back home; is this a trap? Or is he for real? Because I'll do it.

What do Filipino men like? (AFAIK no one's gay)... they all have kids and wife "back home"

gatorade
10-16-2010, 02:20 AM
LOL, actually flipinos do love spam but I'm not sure if its a good christmas gift.

taemo
10-16-2010, 02:40 AM
what's their age range?

buy them some booze to drink during xmas/new year.

Guillermo
10-16-2010, 02:50 AM
what does them being or not being gay have to do with anything??? :nut: like would you buy them a dildo or something?

JordanAndrew
10-16-2010, 04:57 AM
>Smokes for the smokers
>Booze for the drinkers
>Safeway/superstore giftcards
>Mall giftcards (Sunridge, Marketmall or Chinook depending where they live.)
>Movie tickets
>BBQ steam buns from T&T (Filipinos loves this shit)
>Chocolate box sets (Snickers, twix, etc.)
>Gather them up in one place, order the manny pacquiao fight or UFC and watch it with them (PPV)
>try to find out what a good pre-paid phone card would work best for the Philippines and get them a few. ($5-$10 cards)
>Bus tickets books
>a huge bag of white rice (Seriously, they eat rice everyday.). You can get some decent one at superstore, it's the one with the rooster. Should be about $25 a bag.

gam0s
10-16-2010, 05:19 AM
crown royal. filipinos love that and lechon (roasted pork)

1-Bar
10-16-2010, 07:05 AM
Magic Mic y0 if they like karaoke.....that is if they don't have it already....

Canmorite
10-16-2010, 08:04 AM
The letter F.

Safeway/superstore gift cards sound like something everyone would enjoy or at least use!

surferbaby13
10-16-2010, 08:23 AM
i live below fillos...and wow would I love to say something about them right now.....lets just say its not a pretty site.

master hec0
10-16-2010, 09:25 AM
get those credit card gift cards. that way they can get anything they want.

Kona9
10-16-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by surferbaby13
i live below fillos...and wow would I love to say something about them right now.....lets just say its not a pretty site.

You can't win with the foreigners lately can you? From gas stations to home, you are getting the shaft. lol

flipstah
10-16-2010, 12:23 PM
SPAM is hella expensive there and that's what our family does during holidays! It may be seen as a smug/offensive gesture but it all depends on delivery!

I'm sure they'll love anything you give the,. :)

bastardchild
10-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Western Union brochure.

bituerbo
10-16-2010, 03:13 PM
How about a pair of shoes that aren't made of crushed water bottles?

TomcoPDR
10-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by taemo
what's their age range?

buy them some booze to drink during xmas/new year.

22-40

Originally posted by JordanAndrew
Booze for the drinkers

Originally posted by gam0s
crown royal.

Christmas shopping for the boys, done. Thanks for the suggestions.

eb0i
10-16-2010, 05:09 PM
If they have family not in Canada and they are working to send money back home then I wouldn't buy liquor. I would buy something that they could send back to their family. So spam wouldn't be too bad of an idea. Or get them a gift card to a grocery store or the mall so they can buy stuff for themselves or their family members.

silvercivicsir
10-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Magic Mic, Magic cream, or some Boy Bowa......

jose_01
10-16-2010, 06:01 PM
The SPAM thing is for real BUT only if the family members of these co workers of yours live in provincial areas. My mom has family members living out in Leyte and SPAM to them is like filet mignon to us. Meat is a luxury there especially for less wealthy families.

Similarly to SPAM, Chocolate would be great (like basic oh henry style cheap chocolates) if the co workers have family members out in the provinces. Same reasoning as above.

The Pacquiao fight is in nov, so as a christmas present, it might not be as relevant.

As for smokes, in my experience it's not the best present. Marlboros are hella cheap in the homeland and they're certainly not starving for that commodity.

JordanAndrew
10-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by jose_01
The SPAM thing is for real BUT only if the family members of these co workers of yours live in provincial areas. My mom has family members living out in Leyte and SPAM to them is like filet mignon to us. Meat is a luxury there especially for less wealthy families.

Similarly to SPAM, Chocolate would be great (like basic oh henry style cheap chocolates) if the co workers have family members out in the provinces. Same reasoning as above.

The Pacquiao fight is in nov, so as a christmas present, it might not be as relevant.

As for smokes, in my experience it's not the best present. Marlboros are hella cheap in the homeland and they're certainly not starving for that commodity.

Smokes are a lot more expensive down there now compared to what it was before so it's not a bad present at all. I have filipinos that work for me and they always like getting smokes from me as a present.

mago0
10-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

>BBQ steam buns from T&T (Filipinos loves this shit)
>Gather them up in one place, order the manny pacquiao fight or UFC and watch it with them (PPV)
>try to find out what a good pre-paid phone card would work best for the Philippines and get them a few. ($5-$10 cards)
>a huge bag of white rice (Seriously, they eat rice everyday.). You can get some decent one at superstore, it's the one with the rooster. Should be about $25 a bag.

If you do ANY of this, I want to work for you. Hit me up :P

My vote is on the phone cards. The filipino channel is filled with ads about calling back home, so I am sure this would be a hit since they all have wives and kids at home.

GL

BokCh0y
10-16-2010, 11:49 PM
I asked my one filipino friend what he wanted per your thread. He said he'd like either a pot of banana ketchup spaghetti without the hot dogs or an asian chick. i asked him why, and he said cuz most filipino chicks are ugsters so he wants chinese or japanese.

So get them a hooker gangbang and a ton of spaghetti filipino style.

But yeah imo, the phone cards.

ClearBluewater
10-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Stop hiring illegals?

J.M.
10-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by ClearBluewater
Stop hiring illegals?

:facepalm:

JordanEG6
10-17-2010, 05:52 PM
- Magic Jack for long distance calling
- giant wooden spoon/fork set
- a "tabo" for the bathroom
- phone cards

For some reason, fobs love stuff with penis' on them.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5297/barrelmanhb5.jpg

Joel_D
10-17-2010, 06:40 PM
What are you looking to spend? maybe a x-mas bonus if they work for you.

Maybe a case of San Miguel beer, something to remind them of home. I believe the liquor store at T&T (NE) carries them.

TomcoPDR
10-17-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Joel_D
What are you looking to spend? maybe a x-mas bonus if they work for you.

Maybe a case of San Miguel beer, something to remind them of home. I believe the liquor store at T&T (NE) carries them.

No, they don't work for me. Just work with them on a job.

And they're not illegals :facepalm: never said that once.

Yea probably booze 'em up

xxviet
10-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Buy them all car mods they will stick it on their car i promise :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ClearBluewater
10-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Buy them some fake passports maybe? That way you dont have to pay under the table anymore