PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with job interview anxiety?

Ergo-Sun-Tzu
10-17-2010, 11:08 AM
As the title states what are your approach to lowering your anxiety level during job interview. Cause my god, my anxiety level was extremely high during my interviews. I could barely answer the question or give a proper professional answer.

Pollywog
10-17-2010, 11:10 AM
http://www.shivashantiseeds.com/images/normal-joint.jpg

4lti
10-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Pollywog
http://www.shivashantiseeds.com/images/normal-joint.jpg

:thumbsup:
+1

BrknFngrs
10-17-2010, 11:12 AM
I'd highly recommend doing mock interviews before you do real interviews. It's great getting feedback on how you actually did in the interview setting and the feedback is usually very direct.

EK 2.0
10-17-2010, 11:12 AM
I think it would be different for the level of job, and particularly what the potential job would be for me...

But general rules for controlling my anxiety attacks (which I get very frequently) are just some deep breathing, I try to focus on the task at hand; slowing down whatever it is I am doing. For me at least, when I get an anxiety attack it is like everything goes into overdrive...

Before you enter the interview take a few moments in your chair...get some water...and just visualize the interview...sort of go over it in your head...and mentally prepare...

I don't know it might not be much...but those are my methods...

Isaiah
10-17-2010, 11:45 AM
I can tell you the perspective from the other side of the desk:

1. Prepare in advance - Go online and search "top 20 interview questions" and rehearse your answers to each of them. You won't be nervous about any of the questions if you know the answers in advance. Your answer to the question "Tell me about a situation where you encountered a conflict with your employer and how you dealt with it" should come as naturally as "what is your name?" if you have rehearsed correctly.

2. If you're not used to wearing the type of attire that you will be wearing to the interview, then start wearing it daily so you won't be uncomfortable when the time comes. When you're sitting in an office wearing a shirt and tie, suit jacket, pants, and dress shoes, it feels a lot different than your standard pair of jeans and Adidas and you'll feel awkward and overheated if you're not used to it.

3. Have a hearty, healthy breakfast and give yourself lots of time before the interview so you're relaxed going in and not in a hurry to get there or find parking because you're running late.

4. DO NOT overthink the interview before you go in. People tend to be overly analytical about it before they go in which tends to make them confused when they're in the chair.

5. Be confident. If you walk in proudly with a friendly smile and a firm handshake, it says alot about your personality. Make sure your head is up, make eye contact, firm handshake, all the while feeling that you've already got the job. And it's worth repeating, smile.

The reason for interview anxiety is because you feel that the interviewer is your superior. The same reason students can get nervous talking to instructors, or motorists to police officers. When you walk in there, try to think about it as though you're walking in to have lunch with a close friend or someone you consider your equal.

BrknFngrs suggested doing mock interviews; I suggest taking it a step further - real interviews. Regardless of career path, I always suggest to everyone to do at least one interview per quarter, that is at least 3 or four every year. Like anything else, the more you do it the better you'll get at it. Choose companies that you would be interested in but don't really care whether they hire you or not. This will allow you to walk into the interview nonchalantly and practice having the conversations in that pressure-cooker setting.

Good luck.

G-ZUS
10-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Ativan :)

kaput
10-17-2010, 12:33 PM

tom_9109
10-17-2010, 12:42 PM
fap

Impreza
10-19-2010, 10:12 AM
5-HTP

jaysas_63
10-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Ergo-Sun-Tzu
As the title states what are your approach to lowering your anxiety level during job interview. Cause my god, my anxiety level was extremely high during my interviews. I could barely answer the question or give a proper professional answer.

Originally posted by Isaiah
I can tell you the perspective from the other side of the desk:

1. Prepare in advance - Go online and search "top 20 interview questions" and rehearse your answers to each of them. You won't be nervous about any of the questions if you know the answers in advance. Your answer to the question "Tell me about a situation where you encountered a conflict with your employer and how you dealt with it" should come as naturally as "what is your name?" if you have rehearsed correctly.

2. If you're not used to wearing the type of attire that you will be wearing to the interview, then start wearing it daily so you won't be uncomfortable when the time comes. When you're sitting in an office wearing a shirt and tie, suit jacket, pants, and dress shoes, it feels a lot different than your standard pair of jeans and Adidas and you'll feel awkward and overheated if you're not used to it.

3. Have a hearty, healthy breakfast and give yourself lots of time before the interview so you're relaxed going in and not in a hurry to get there or find parking because you're running late.

4. DO NOT overthink the interview before you go in. People tend to be overly analytical about it before they go in which tends to make them confused when they're in the chair.

5. Be confident. If you walk in proudly with a friendly smile and a firm handshake, it says alot about your personality. Make sure your head is up, make eye contact, firm handshake, all the while feeling that you've already got the job. And it's worth repeating, smile.

The reason for interview anxiety is because you feel that the interviewer is your superior. The same reason students can get nervous talking to instructors, or motorists to police officers. When you walk in there, try to think about it as though you're walking in to have lunch with a close friend or someone you consider your equal.

BrknFngrs suggested doing mock interviews; I suggest taking it a step further - real interviews. Regardless of career path, I always suggest to everyone to do at least one interview per quarter, that is at least 3 or four every year. Like anything else, the more you do it the better you'll get at it. Choose companies that you would be interested in but don't really care whether they hire you or not. This will allow you to walk into the interview nonchalantly and practice having the conversations in that pressure-cooker setting.

Good luck.

all of these are great pointers, and all work great for your average joe blow...but seems like the OP was prepared for the interview, had all of the pieces together, but his anxiety issues were taking control of the situation not allowing him to perform to his full potential.

looks like you may benefit from a Benzodiazepine Anxiolytic med like Ativan. I usually don't support pill popping unless absolutely necessary, but i don't see any harm in you using some medication before an interview if it means you will be able to think clearly, and showcase your talent to your interviewer.

i personally have never needed any medication for anxiety, but i do have friends that get very anxious in high stress situations like exams, and interviews, and they seem to get great results from Benzodiazepines, so discuss it with your PCP, and go from there:thumbsup:

arian_ma
10-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Think about it this way: The more nervous you look in the interview, the more unlikely you are to get hired.

Boat
10-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Good luck.

All great points by Isaiah. I recommend reinforcing this one. Just apply for a position, go to the interview. I guess it would be considered a waste of time for the interviewer, but if its as serious as getting that dream/job career, I think the benefits outweigh the costs.

I also like the confidence approach. Of course everyone tries to be confident, but take it to the next level - go into it like they already offered you the job and you are just going through the orientation process.

Ergo-Sun-Tzu
10-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Think about it this way: The more nervous you look in the interview, the more unlikely you are to get hired.

Lol, I was extremely nervous, my anxiety level was up. I can feel my heart race so much. I know that during the interview I said a couple points which didn't make sense or sound desperate for the job. I.E" I need a job"

I know that in job interview 101, you need to sell yourself. But I totally didn't sell myself.

Anyways thanks for the tips everyone.

Unfortunately, I don't intake any illegal substances.

arian_ma
10-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Also take into account that whoever is doing the hiring is not a rock. You could be nervous and still sell yourself well, depending on what you know. These people understand that some people get nervous and such, no one is perfect.

slick2404
10-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I always go with the mentality that you are there to interview the company, as much as they are there to interview you.

TheCheff
10-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Music, listen to your favorite hype songs before the interview. Go in there with enthusiasm and a positive attitude.

Also do some research on the company that is interviewing you, and prepare some of your own questions for them.

msommers
10-20-2010, 01:46 PM
I looked at typical interview questions, got the jist of what I would say but overall didn't practice much. My fear was that I'd sound like I was just regurgitating some BS.

Getting interviewed can be nerve racking but it comes down to confidence. If you don't have the confidence going in, it doesn't matter how much you practiced or even how well suited you are for the job. I like Boat's analogy.

Just be prepared for some stupid fucking questions. Maybe there is pyschology behind some of them and the questions are irrelevant, or maybe to interpret how you react but honestly, some questions are just plain dumb to ask.

dimi
10-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Confidence.

Don't listen to the people telling you to pop pills. You might have taken them before, but you don't know how they will affect you during an interview situation, which can be very intense. I've heard quite a few stories of people fucking up interviews on dex or some ADHD pills. Soon enough you'll have to pop pills every time you get nervous or anxious cause you won't know how to deal with these emotions, which are perfectly normal in an interview situation.

When I get an interview I am excited and enthusiastic. Before the interview you are a piece of paper, that's it. The interview is your chance to shine and show what your personality and character are all about.

Bring a bottle of water to the interview. If they ask you a tough one, take a sip, deep breath, collect your thoughts and answer. Much better than rushing into an answer to prevent an inevitable pause.

PS!!!!!!!- MAKE SURE YOUR SHIRT/TIE FITS WELL. One time I nearly choked myself in an interview cause my tie was so tight, and I didn't want to readjust. I swear my face must have been tomato red.

dimi
10-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by TheCheff
Also do some research on the company that is interviewing you, and prepare some of your own questions for them.

YES! Very important. Usually one of the first questions you'll get is, "What do you know about our company?" or something of the sort. You would have better read the whole annual report prior to going in cause this is a great way to impress and start on the right path.

What I like to do is tie their business mission/values/vision into my personal life. So if they are a low cost corp. tell them how you also like to find the lowest costs and obtain the best value when seeking different alternatives...etc. You get the point.

PS- IF they are a low cost corp, DO NOT ask them about overtime. LMAO. I know one guy who slaughtered himself like that. :rofl:

AndyL
10-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Practice makes perfect - go bomb some ones your not seriously interested in for practice :)

I used to get stupid anxious on interviews - then I realized, I don't 'need' this job. There's always another one that'll come along.

I'm a big fan of the deep breath to relax and think through an answer before speaking.

sabad66
10-20-2010, 04:35 PM
I notice that I've been "out and about" beforehand, I'll be in a general good mood and be much more friendly/calm during the interview.

For example my last one, I was working all day at a golf course interacting with customers and then went in for an interview after. Obviously not everyone can interact with customers, but maybe have a coffee with a friend before-hand, just anything to put you in a calm & relaxed mood.

Phenix
10-20-2010, 04:48 PM
I guess I'm lucky, i never had any problems with interviews. everyone i went to i had an offer come shortly after. You just need to be confident in yourself ( but not overly cocky) and you just need to have some good people skills and be able to sell your qualities.

bignerd
10-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Being prepared! AND being at your interview location early-even if you just wait out on the street for a little bit.

I always try to think of previous work situations where I showed leadership, had a conflict, how I dealt with it etc... Just try to recall some so that I have a situation at hand to answer their questions.

You could try the anxiety meds but take some first when you are at home and have nothing going on-I take them for dental appointments and two will make me almost incoherent, one a little spacey. You need to know how much they will affect you.

Also sometimes taking an immodium before hand can help with the churning stomach/sick feeling.

I remember once too I was in a competition, it was finals, big deal etc. etc. and I never smile when I am nervous. I drew a happy face on my hand so I would look at it and remember to smile. It did work.

stealth
11-06-2010, 08:24 AM
I found the best thing for me when going into an interview is "not caring".

By that I mean, I do not let it stress me out as I already have a job I enjoy and is good, and if I do not get the potential new job its no big deal.

I found this has helped me out a lot, compared to when I used to stress out, as I am more relaxed, and answer questions more thoroughly, and things generally flow well.

Super_Geo
11-06-2010, 09:49 AM
I just went through some interviews... Would've been nice to find this thread first, but it was kind of fun (and nerve racking) just winging it and seeing what came from it. I hadn't interviewed in years, and never had very formal ones as the companies were smaller... but I just went through six interviews and most were multi-billion dollar corporations and there was definitely a learning curve. I'm just lucky that the two opportunities I really wanted were last and not first... anyway, 5 interviews and 2 offers later, here's what I picked up:

1. FIVE SLOW BREATHS. Before you walk into their office, take 5 slow breaths... really hold it in, and slowly exhale. I found this calmed me down by quite a bit, and helps get your mindset straight. You don't want to be the really high strung nervous guy that just rambles on.

2. KEEP YOUR HANDS IN SIGHT (ie: ON THE TABLE!). If you keep your hands hidden, it makes you look either insecure or that you have something to hide. Also makes you less prone to fidgeting with your hands under the table, which looks really weird to the person sitting across from you. I was going through 2hr interviews where you'd get interviewed separately by a half dozen people (pretty much the team you'd be working with), and I noticed that one of the guys seemed nervous and kept his hands under the table, stuck out to me for some reason. Then I realized I usually kept my hands under the table as well, and from that moment on I always reminded myself about this one.

3. KNOW THE COMPANY. I know it's been said, but I got bit hard on this one. I got an email at 6AM saying they found my resume interesting and would like to get me in, so I emailed back and before I knew it I had an interview lined up for 2PM that afternoon. This was my first interview at an investment bank (for an equity research position), and I think everything was going really well until they asked me: "So, what can you tell me about Canaccord Genuity?" The only thing I knew was that they had a market cap around $1.0B (looked it up on Google Finance at a red light on my drive down) and that Canaccord recently acquired Genuity. I also said "You guys have offices in Toronto, Calgary, and a couple of other cities," to which the guy interviewing me replies "Actually, we have offices all across Canada, the US, and London." Didn't get a call back.

4. ACCEPT THE WATER. Always accept their offer for water. I didn't on my first interview and by the end of it my mouth was drying and I was uncomfortable, and I kept on thinking about how god damn thirsty I was and it was making it hard to concentrate.

5. GET THERE EARLY. For my first two interviews I had to rush to their office and showed up with absolutely no time to spare. I was frazzled, didn't have time to calm myself down (slow breaths, etc)... bad state of mind to start with.

6. SMILE. Don't look unhappy. I ended up getting offers from the interviews where I had a smile on my face and was in a genuinely good mood. If you look uncomfortable, unhappy, or nervous during the interview, they might assume that's how you'll be at work as well. If you think about it from their perspective, the only "you" they get to meet is the one you present in that interview. Show them you won't be a huge downer to have around the office.

7. "LET ME THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND." If you don't know, don't say nothing. Tell them you need to take a second, that goes over way better than dead air. For me, the question was "What kind of personalities do you get along with best, and what personality traits do you really dislike in other co-workers." Again, early interview, I hadn't even thought through the typical interview questions and I didn't really know what my answer should've been. Thought it through for 10 seconds and responded a lot better than I would've if I just started saying the first thing that popped up.

8. FOLLOW UP EMAIL! Again, didn't do this for my early interviews, and it's an important one. It shows you're interested, and it also brings you back on their radar when they're probably thinking about the people they've interviewed after you. I do it near the end of the following business day. Also, tell them something you genuinely liked about their office, and why it makes you want to work there. It strokes their ego a bit and also shows you're serious. I can't stress being genuine enough... don't put shit in the email that isn't true or is really generic. And really, if you can't think of something positive that really stood out to you, why do you want to work there?

Hope this helps.