PDA

View Full Version : MRC acceptance

sxtasy
12-31-2003, 02:34 AM
Hey I have tried a few times to get into the bachelor of commerce university transfer program at MRC, but have not had much luck. I have been accepted but each time put on a wait list. So I guess that program is very busy. Does anyone know that if I started taking some other coarses, ones that aren't so popular, part time, if that would make it easier to get into other programs later on?

What do you guys think of certificates or diploma's, are they a big asset or a waste of time?

It's really tough trying to figure out where to start when going to post secondary, anybody have any suggestions?

Weapon_R
12-31-2003, 02:39 AM
Try to take some courses that will compliment your intended major. If you are trying to get into commerce at MRC, take some courses that will apply to that degree in the meantime until you get in.

And I know there are a million people on here that are going to jump on this, but yes, I think that diplomas are a waste of time if you are financially capable and determined to earn a degree instead. By no means are they worthless, but if you can get a degree, why settle for a diploma?

ryder_23
12-31-2003, 02:45 AM
right now i'm taking courses towards what i'll be taking later on. I do a year now, saves me a year down the road. Just look at what the course takes...and just take the courses you can take without being in the actual program. Like ie: english, govt politics, chem, etc...anything that u need in your course for general just take general studies and do so

sxtasy
12-31-2003, 02:53 AM
hmmm, i didnt know that you can just pick and choose single coarses to take. So by taking a few coarses you might be bumped up on the waiting list? I applied early for the program and I was still like 100th on the waiting list:nut: Do you guys think that the UofC would be more busy or less than MRC for commerce?

Shaolin
12-31-2003, 08:39 AM
do the U of L commerce program here in Calgary.. but it's night classes.

DUBBED
12-31-2003, 08:41 AM
DO NOT TAKE COURSES THAT CREDIT YOUR MAJOR THIS IS USELESS!! It will just save you time once you get into a program but it will not do ANYTHING to help you get into a program. I did this for the fall semester hoping that it would improve my chances of getting into my program next fall. When I applied I was told that unless I had a certain amount of credit hours it was uselss to take credit courses to get into a program, especially when they look at your high school marks. My suggestion is upgrade your 30 level courses and keep doing so until you get into the program. Bachelor of Commerrce is a bitch to get into, unless you have a 70-75% high school average your chances are pretty nil.

ryder_23
12-31-2003, 10:33 AM
^
i just did it to save time down the road not to get into the actual course

thich
12-31-2003, 10:57 AM
both UofC and MRC commerce are probably pretty busy; the MRC Transfer program is harsh too because they impose a quota of how many students can transfer to the UofC because of such limited seating.

But if you're intent on getting into commerce, u might want to look at upping those 30-level courses of urs and apply straight to the UofC, less paperwork to have to worry about.
Or do wut Shaolin suggested and take the UofL courses

sxtasy
12-31-2003, 12:10 PM
hmmm the UofL coarses is a good idea.

Is there any way to tell which programs are very full and which one's are easier to get into? Lets say that I get a diploma or a certificate first...would that make it easier to get in, or do I still have to go back and upgrade the 30 level coarses?:banghead: Whatever happened with entrance by maturity?

three.eighteen.
12-31-2003, 07:30 PM
im in, i applied for september a few weeks ago, bcomm transfer too, the letter says i have to make the cut though...my university marks are shit (failed a year - why im going to mrc), but my high school marks are awesome...anyone have insight?

DUBBED
12-31-2003, 07:33 PM
318 - You should get accepted based on your high school marks, it depends on what you send them though.

sxtasy - You can use full-time college credit to get into a program, I think as long as you have over 12 credit hours in a program you can use those marks. If you have less than 12 (or 10 I forget) credit hours you have to use your high school marks.

sxtasy
12-31-2003, 07:38 PM
cool thanks dubbed

max_boost
01-01-2004, 02:08 AM
Definitely go for the degree.

Options for you

Athabasca
U of L

You can get your business diploma and then transfer to the above. I don't have time to sit down and attend classes so I'm going with Athabasca through correspondence

sxtasy
01-02-2004, 12:14 AM
Is a degree through Athabasca U very credible? How do you find doing it through correspondance compared to going to classes?

Shaolin
01-02-2004, 12:42 AM
degree's a degree.. i don't think it really matters that much.. but some employers might take it into consideration more than others..

the athabasca course is a joke.. joke as in it's easy as hell.. you just have to make sure you commit to it because 6 months go by pretty fast :D I did mgmt accounting there a while back.. i was suprised when i opened up the final exam and the test was all multiple choice.. so yeah, it's easy, as long as you're motivated to getting it done you'll be fine.

max_boost
01-02-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy
Is a degree through Athabasca U very credible? How do you find doing it through correspondance compared to going to classes? I haven't started on the Athabasca material yet so I don't have an answer. To prepare myself I took a few correspondence classes from SAIT to finish off my diploma and found that a lot of discipline is required in order to do well. You basically teach yourself, it can be a rewarding experience should you devote some time into the studies. Honestly, I'd love to graduate from Haskayne at U of C but my schedule no longer permits such an endeavour. I wasted too much time in the past! I'm getting old and have my hands tied trying to help run a restaurant.

sxtasy
01-02-2004, 03:00 AM
at Athabasca do you start at a certain time like at the beginning of a symester or can you start anytime of the year?

sexualbanana
01-02-2004, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Athabasca

I reccomend against Athabasca, especially when you're aiming for a BComm. A lot of the work (at least in the U of C program) revolves around groupwork and presentations. Sure you can learn the concepts and everything through correspondence, but the group projects actually allow you to apply those concepts which is something I don't think the Athabasca program does.

I've heard getting into either BComm program at MRC or U of C is real tough now. Since U of C went to direct entry as opposed to a 2-year pre-program, I've heard a lot of people talking about the guaranteed admission grade out of high school to be mid to high 80%.

max_boost
01-02-2004, 11:21 AM
I did group work in the majority of my classes at SAIT so I'm glad I don't have to do anymore. They were just a bunch of social loafers riding with me for the A. haha

As for Athabasca, start at the beginning of any month and you have 6 months to complete one class.

Only use Athabasca as your last resort, consider U of L first.