PDA

View Full Version : f*ckin birds

believe
10-17-2010, 07:20 PM
hey guys,

my house has a flat roof so birds just love hanging out up there. So before it gets worst and they decide to start building a nest, what can I do? I stopped by home depot and the best they could suggest was to put up a plastic owl to scare them away, but if possible, i'd prefer another method.

Thanks alot!

Awd-Tsi
10-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by believe
hey guys,

my house has a flat roof so birds just love hanging out up there. So before it gets worst and they decide to start building a nest, what can I do? I stopped by home depot and the best they could suggest was to put up a plastic owl to scare them away, but if possible, i'd prefer another method.

Thanks alot! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Tigerramki.jpg

Benny
10-17-2010, 07:35 PM
http://www.coachwyatt.com/Redneck.jpg

Awd-Tsi
10-17-2010, 07:43 PM
In all seriousness cats do work, my cat has fucked up many birds around my house

AndyL
10-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Those plastic owls work.

There's also a ton of commercial stuff to cover things up to keep them from landing (tin? plates with spikes pointing out the top).

adam c
10-17-2010, 09:24 PM
just make sure you don't have any tailing ponds near by
http://www.suttonag.com/NewFiles/PropaneCannonRental.jpg

Sugarphreak
10-17-2010, 09:36 PM

believe
10-18-2010, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by AndyL

There's also a ton of commercial stuff to cover things up to keep them from landing (tin? plates with spikes pointing out the top).

yeah i heard about something like that. It was what i intended to purchase at home depot, but it sounded like they don't carry such a product. do you know any places that might?

@Sugarphreak: thanks for posting that, it looks interesting, so i'll look into that as well

and to everyone else, yes i would also like to just go apeshit on them birds, but preferably without destroying my property haha

roll_over
10-18-2010, 12:41 AM
with the owl make sure you move it often because the birds do get smart. You probably get random birds so i think its going to be harder on your part to keep them away

D'z Nutz
10-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
Those plastic owls work.

Not my case, they didn't. We had a bad pigeon problem in our old house and we used plastic owls (among other things). It worked at first, but eventually the pigeons wised up and realised it was just a prop so they came back. If you're going to use a plastic owl, expect to move it around on a regular basis so the birds don't get too comfortable with seeing it in one spot all the time.

What did work was a BB gun. It wasn't enough to kill or injure them, but after they got nailed a few times, they were smart enough to figure out that they would get hurt hanging around our house and the left.

AndyL
10-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by believe

yeah i heard about something like that. It was what i intended to purchase at home depot, but it sounded like they don't carry such a product. do you know any places that might?

@Sugarphreak: thanks for posting that, it looks interesting, so i'll look into that as well

and to everyone else, yes i would also like to just go apeshit on them birds, but preferably without destroying my property haha
Not sure where to get them, we pull them off doors and associated gear on downtown highrises almost every day... Greyhounds bus terminal has them just about on every horizontal surface... My guess would be the typical suspects - acklands/greggs/etc.