PDA

View Full Version : How do you and your spouse/live-in SO vote?

Melinda
10-17-2010, 10:59 PM
I was talking about this with a fellow beyonder a few days ago and it got me thinking. When it comes to voting (Mayor, Premiere, Prime Minister) do you and your spouse/ significant other that you live with vote for the same candidates?

Is it something you discuss, research together and make a mutual decision on? Do make your decision completely on your own and not discuss it? Does one person do the research/make the choice and then tell the other who to vote for? Any debates between you if you disagree?

Godfuader
10-17-2010, 11:04 PM
We love debating. Typically we each bring our point up and we usually end up with one mutually acceptable answer.

Isaiah
10-17-2010, 11:08 PM
I don't have a spouse but my girlfriend and I have been together for four years. We have very open communication and I am a lot more involved in the political process than she is. In fact, she really couldn't care less about politics and would just as soon not vote.

Because of my belief in the voice of the people, I have always given her the same advice, regardless of municipal, provincial, or federal election: "Please educate yourself about the candidates and cast your vote. Don't vote just to vote, and don't vote for my candidate just because I think the individual is the right person for the job."

I would much rather her vote against my candidate if she believes that someone else is better suited than have her either vote for my candidate just because I am or not vote at all. I will, however, point her in the right direction as to where she can find candidate information and will do a little extra, like taping the aldermanic forum for her, just to make it a little easier.

Awd-Tsi
10-17-2010, 11:29 PM
If I had a spouse she would vote what I vote

FraserB
10-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Awd-Tsi

I don't think any woman has to worry about following your rules for a loooooooong time.

kvg
10-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Great question. Me and my wife discuss it and we usually vote for the same person. That being said we both believe that a persons vote is theirs, and if we disagree we will vote differently, with out hard feelings.

AndyL
10-17-2010, 11:51 PM
LOL - are you having wars at home at the moment? :)

Wife and I are at extreme opposites of the political spectrum, we'll discuss, argue, debate it; she tries to convince me to vote her way :) But it'll never happen...

Melinda
10-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
LOL - are you having wars at home at the moment? :)

Wife and I are at extreme opposites of the political spectrum, we'll discuss, argue, debate it; she tries to convince me to vote her way :) But it'll never happen...
Nah, I'm WAYYYY more politically active than my husband. However as time has passed he's started to pay more attention to it all, especially since our best friends are actually IN politics and there are so many issues centered around his industry (O&G). But no, when it comes down to it, we usually see eye to eye on stuff like this. If either of us still didn't know who we were going to vote for (like this election) he generally leaves it to me to do the super in depth searching to make the final decision. Politics is an all year discussion for us, not just at election time and the platforms the various politicians have effect us as a family equally, so it's generally easy to vote together without too much serious debate on the matter.

adam c
10-18-2010, 08:14 AM
Where's the option of I vote and she doesn't?

Masked Bandit
10-18-2010, 08:17 AM
We discuss a bit but not a ton and then vote our own way. We then review after the vote. I don't want to influence her decision one way or the other.

freshprince1
10-18-2010, 08:37 AM
My wife doesn't care about politics. I do my own research and talk to her about the candidates, I tell her who I am voting for. In six years of marriage, I've never asked her who she ended up voting for...never really occured to me to ask.

Awd-Tsi
10-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

I don't think any woman has to worry about following your rules for a loooooooong time. was kidding, I would say both vote whoever we want

jazzyb
10-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Awd-Tsi

aye aye!

on a serious note a familly should vote as one IMO.

Tik-Tok
10-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by jazzyb

aye aye!

on a serious note a familly should vote as one IMO.

Why? There's nothing wrong with having differing opinions.

jazzyb
10-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Why? There's nothing wrong with having differing opinions.

your completely right, I just find a familly should have the same idea when to comes to running the household.... so why not for voting? again just my opinion.

blackpeople
10-18-2010, 09:13 AM
my gf beats me :cry: lol kidding

hampstor
10-18-2010, 09:37 AM
I'd say this election was completely different for my wife and I as far as discussions go. That platforms meant less to me as I was more centered around the non-public information about the candidates - some of which really jaded me about the candidates (alderman and mayor). I was writing off candidates because of that information.

your completely right, I just find a familly should have the same idea when to comes to running the household.... so why not for voting? again just my opinion.

I disagree - we go to great lengths to protect individual rights here in Canada and requiring a family/household to vote the same would violate that.

I'm assuming you mean every member in a household of voting age would vote for the same candidate. If you're thinking a household should only get 1 vote, that's even more crazy :nut:

JRSC00LUDE
10-18-2010, 09:38 AM
I've never been registered to vote with elections Canada and, have never done so. Don't care.

Cos
10-18-2010, 09:41 AM
An organization I was a part of had two rules.

- No one would discuss religion
- No one would discuss politics

If you broke the rule you were warned then asked to leave. I didnt realize it would work that well. I have incorporated it into my home life. Typically the wife and I vote the same way but that is because we are similar, neither of us try to convince the other.

Last federal election was interesting. We pretty much took each others vote out. Lol

That being said we all talk about it, all my family when we go over to their house. The wifes family not so much, I dont even know if they vote.

jazzyb
10-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
I'd say this election was completely different for my wife and I as far as discussions go. That platforms meant less to me as I was more centered around the non-public information about the candidates - some of which really jaded me about the candidates (alderman and mayor). I was writing off candidates because of that information.

I disagree - we go to great lengths to protect individual rights here in Canada and requiring a family/household to vote the same would violate that.

I'm assuming you mean every member in a household of voting age would vote for the same candidate. If you're thinking a household should only get 1 vote, that's even more crazy :nut:

I think its just the way I think, familly should have the ability to discuss and agree some may say agree to disagree......

Again that was just my opinion, and no i'm not saying 1-vote per house.

abyss
10-18-2010, 12:46 PM

I think its just the way I think, familly should have the ability to discuss and agree some may say agree to disagree......

Again that was just my opinion, and no i'm not saying 1-vote per house.

You can discuss and still not agree on a candidate. Politics is very important in our house and we seem to be getting more involved with each new election. My 2 year old was very excited to tell the people at the polling station he was there to "bote wif mommy"

Hampstor and I normally discuss/debate and end up voting the same way, because we're very similar in the things that are the most important to us as far as candidates go.

However, this election has been completely different due to all the insider info on the candidates we've received, and I've really felt more involved with this election than I ever have.

We've never asked each other "who are you/did you vote for?" though, because it doesn't really matter. Although he did say he'd divorce me if I voted Barb. :rofl:

hampstor
10-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by abyss

Although he did say he'd divorce me if I voted Barb. :rofl:

:whipped:

At least we found out the real reason for the finger trap bridge. :)