PDA

View Full Version : question regarding insurance cards

KISS_ME
10-18-2010, 02:09 PM
I searched and couldn't find anything related to this. Correct me if im wrong though.

So heres the thing. I pay my insurance premiums monthly and i think what happens is the insurance company would send me out a new insurance card every month, with an expiry date at the end of that month. Now sometimes i forgot to put the new insurance card in my car and im worried one day (knock on wood) i'll get pulled over with an expired insurance card. Now i know my insurance company can easily email a copy of my proof of insurance and i can easily open that up on my iphone to show the cop but is this something i do legally (show them a copy of insurance on phone)? I hate to find out when i've already been pulled over.

Thanks in advance.

FraserB
10-18-2010, 02:13 PM
No, you will still be ticketed for failure to produce insurance. Showing that you have coverage on a smart phone is acceptable as proof you do have insurance but you still get ticketed for not having the official document. It is a non-moving violation worth $172 and no demerits

Tomaz
10-18-2010, 02:17 PM
You should be getting a card once a year, not every month afaik.

Swap it out for the old one and keep it in your car. These cards can be printed from email, but most brokers send out actual copies for lost/damaged cards.

Anything outside of doing what I stated above is completely up to speculation and discretion of the police officer. I wouldn't take the chance.

"Failure to produce insurance" can be pricey, and sometimes will not be dropped even if you have insurance.

Cos
10-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Why is your company not giving you a year? Unless you have horrible credit and they dont trust you to pay every month.

FraserB
10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
I thought that a lot of people paid for the year, or 6 months all in one block.

Or is it just monthly auto deductions for people?

KISS_ME
10-18-2010, 02:33 PM
i would assume my credit is fairly good. my credit cards and such are paid off monthly.

my payments are automatically taken from my bank account.

i'll just phone up the insurance tonight to see if they can send me a yearly card.

rage2
10-18-2010, 02:33 PM
You can also get a ticket if you have more than 1 insurance slip in the car, so make sure you throw out the expired ones.

KISS_ME
10-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by rage2
You can also get a ticket if you have more than 1 insurance slip in the car, so make sure you throw out the expired ones.

Ya, i found that out the hard way. I had more then 5 insurance slips in my pouch last time i got pulled over. Thankfully at the time i had an up to date card and also the officer was nice enough to let me off with a warning.

Masked Bandit
10-18-2010, 02:49 PM
You PAY monthly but your insurance contract will still be for a year (maybe six months, but most likely a year). Your broker should be able to send you a pink card that is good for the year.

Usually the only time we send out a 30 day pink card is in the case of a new policy.

Does anyone have experience with using a phone to display a PDF file of a pink card? I've had clients tell me they do that at the registries and the girls there take it.

FraserB
10-18-2010, 02:51 PM
MB, there was someone on here or on 780 that used an iPhone to show proof of insurance to a police officer during a traffic stop. It was accepted as proof of having insurance but not as presenting the document.

403Gemini
10-18-2010, 02:53 PM
If the cop is actually nice, he'll call the insurance company to verify if the policy is indeed in effect.

However, they can just give you a ticket since it is your fault for not being able to prove you have insurance on the vehicle.

Masked Bandit
10-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
MB, there was someone on here or on 780 that used an iPhone to show proof of insurance to a police officer during a traffic stop. It was accepted as proof of having insurance but not as presenting the document.

WTF? That doesn't make any sense. The ticket is "failure to provide proof of insurance" isn't it? How can anyone (police, registry agent, whatever) say on one hand "Yes, I believe you have insurance" but then give a ticket for not providing proof?

benyl
10-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by rage2

This usually depends on the cop.

Last time I got pulled over, I had 2. He looked at them while I was shuffling to figure out which one was good and he said "it's that one." haha

I pay my insurance monthly. My pink slips are always good for 1 year, or to the end of the contract if I make a change mid-year.

Cos
10-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Wasnt it VWEvo who got the ticket?

FraserB
10-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Page 2 of this thread, VWEVO gets pinched.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=283372&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=2