PDA

View Full Version : Alberta School System

Dycker
10-18-2010, 03:23 PM
The current system seems redundant.

How should tax dollars be allocated for education in Alberta?
Should property owners have a choice to where their tax dollars go?
Is there a place for a Catholic School System in Alberta today?
Should private schools for children with learning disabilities have more/less funding from the Alberta government?
Is the Alberta Teachers’ Association helping ineffectual teachers keep their jobs?

This is not for a school project. I've always been curious about this subject

tbomb
10-18-2010, 03:24 PM
fuck Catholic schools

whiskas
10-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Dycker

Should property owners have a shoice to where their tax dollars go?

They already do.

Dycker
10-18-2010, 03:28 PM
But should they have the choice?

Masked Bandit
10-18-2010, 03:52 PM
But should they have the choice?

Of course they should.

My kids can't go to Catholic school because we aren't Catholic, why should my tax dollars fund an organization that discriminates against me because of religion (or lack of actually)?

Now don't take that too far either, it's not like I personally give a flying phuck, however I think a better question would be why shouldn't we have the choice as to which school system to support?

Dycker
10-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Or should there be no choices; all taxes go in one fund to be allocated out?

Masked Bandit
10-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Or should there be no choices; all taxes go in one fund to be allocated out?

Then my non-Catholic kids better get to attend the Catholic school.

theken
10-18-2010, 05:19 PM
My kid gets bussed 30 minutes to get to a school, when there is 3 catholic schools right by my house. Funny thing...she was baptised. I was not, neither was my wife. She cannot go to the school because of this. I am not catholic or anything but fuck off. Make all schools public or build more public schools

Dycker
10-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Everyone should be able to have the choice of sending their children to a Public or Private school.

Cos
10-18-2010, 05:26 PM

kertejud2
10-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Personally there should be public schools and private schools. The existence of Catholic schools has ALWAYS confused me.

Its a leftover from the BNA to protect religious rights (for protestants and catholics). Ironically Quebec has scrapped the system but its stuck around elsewhere.

Xtrema
10-18-2010, 05:43 PM
I love to see a school reform where there is only one school board and one school system. Religion should be downgrade to extracurricular subject like art or music and all religions should be taught with no opt outs. So kids get equal exposures.

As much as I love to see this happen, it ain't happening here in the bible belt of the north. No politician will touch that with 10ft pole. It's will be a quick way to end your career.

Yes pooling in more resources and have less expenses would be awesome.

As for private school, they should never get taxpayer money. If parents who pay taxes and thinks that's not fair, they can always send them to public schools or STFU.

Dycker
10-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Which Provinces still have Public, Private, and Separate Schools?

Cos
10-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

Its a leftover from the BNA to protect religious rights (for protestants and catholics). Ironically Quebec has scrapped the system but its stuck around elsewhere.

Huh didnt know that. Maybe I can deal with the frenchies. Is there an English and French board?

Just to clarify I mean that the public school is everyone, private school is the 20k a year jobs.

Dycker
10-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
As for private school, they should never get taxpayer money. If parents who pay taxes and thinks that's not fair, they can always send them to public schools or STFU.

How about some funding for learning disabilities?
Foothills Academy (http://www.foothillsacademy.org/)

kertejud2
10-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Huh didnt know that. Maybe I can deal with the frenchies. Is there an English and French board?

I don't really know how the Quebec system works nowadays but it is based on language. I imagine the Separate system there is the English schools since French is the provincial language but I can't be sure. I seem to remember one of the big language issues being on who could/had to attend what school.

I'll have to look into it.

Cos
10-18-2010, 05:54 PM

I know a kid who goes there and if the public schools were funded properly (the school didnt have enough special ed teachers) he woudnt HAVE to go there. However because that school doesnt have a big enough budget they cant have the special ed teachers that are required even based on enrollment.

Dycker
10-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I know a kid who goes there and if the public schools were funded properly (the school didnt have enough special ed teachers) he woudnt HAVE to go there. However because that school doesnt have a big enough budget they cant have the special ed teachers that are required even based on enrollment.

That's a great point. Shame really.

Cos
10-18-2010, 06:00 PM

Xtrema
10-18-2010, 06:03 PM

No problem with that because it'll cost more to cater to those students anyway. Private partnership is a possible solution. And it seems like that EXTRA cost is past back to the parents.

My comment is directed to places such as this:

http://www.webberacademy.ca/admissions/fees.cfm

or this

http://www.clearwateracademy.com/

Who does get government funding.

If you can afford another $15K to send your kids there, you can afford to give up the taxpayer subsidy. There is no special need here and it's taken money away from public school funding.

If Webber get government cash, then property owners with no kids should be able to op out of paying school tax.

It's only "fair".