PDA

View Full Version : Calgary's Motorsport Future?

Kittens11
10-18-2010, 11:36 PM
So with Nenshi being named Calgary's new mayor, what do people think the future has in hold for Motorsports in are city?

Shlade
10-19-2010, 05:37 AM
bye bye

Zewind
10-19-2010, 08:32 AM
No, no. I question Nenshi and he is a supporter of motorsports in Calgary.

Shlade
10-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Oh well thats good knews then :)

inline6turbo
10-19-2010, 08:39 AM
He said outright he doesn't know what to do with it. He said he wants motorsports in Calgary, but the current facility won't work. It's at 40:08 in the "three way debate" you tube video.

It'll likely close down and will take years to figure out a new facility.

Shlade
10-19-2010, 08:42 AM
thats effin terrible knews then!

anybody watch 2 fast too real? :angel:

reijo
10-19-2010, 09:10 AM
In other words, he doesn't care one way or the other.

Start looking elsewhere. Badlands Motorsports Resort is still alive and hopefully will be up and running in a couple of years. :)

sputnik
10-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Who cares? RCMP is a dump and is just holding investors back from building a better track. The Badlands Park sounds nice, but in reality it seems like a pipedream that is going nowhere.

Calgary auto enthusiasts NEED RaceCity to die and go without a track for a year or two. It will suck for a while but be better in the long run.

That way some REAL demand can be established and a new motorsport park can be built in the surrounding area.

sputnik
10-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by reijo
Badlands Motorsports Resort is still alive and hopefully will be up and running in a couple of years. :)

I doubt that.

Especially considering their website hasn't been updated in almost 2 years.

Cos
10-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Who cares? RCMP is a dump and is just holding investors back from building a better track. The Badlands Park sounds nice, but in reality it seems like a pipedream that is going nowhere.

Calgary auto enthusiasts NEED RaceCity to die and go without a track for a year or two. It will suck for a while but be better in the long run.

That way some REAL demand can be established and a new motorsport park can be built in the surrounding area.

+1

kevie88
10-19-2010, 09:58 AM
You guys are out of your minds if you think that we need to tear down Race City to make progress. What we need to do is upgrade what we already have (repave/redesign, new pit facility, new stands ect).

Once the track is gone, it's never coming back. Look what happened to Westwood in BC, the track closed and was never rebuilt somewhere else. Just.. gone forever.

Thaco
10-19-2010, 10:08 AM

That way some REAL demand can be established and a new motorsport park can be built in the surrounding area. holy shit, i cant believe i am saying this, but i actually agree with you on something..

Thaco
10-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by kevie88
You guys are out of your minds if you think that we need to tear down Race City to make progress. What we need to do is upgrade what we already have (repave/redesign, new pit facility, new stands ect).

Once the track is gone, it's never coming back. Look what happened to Westwood in BC, the track closed and was never rebuilt somewhere else. Just.. gone forever.

it's gone anyways, has been for years, and with the uncertainty of the land agreement, along with the economy, it's inevitable, just let it die.

kevie88
10-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Thaco

it's gone anyways, has been for years, and with the uncertainty of the land agreement, along with the economy, it's inevitable, just let it die.

So we can have nothing? What kind of logic is this?

Nothing is not better than something.

Shlade
10-19-2010, 10:22 AM
I hope we can come to some sort of agreement to keep it around.

Would it honestly be too costly getting a peice of land down here somewhere in the country side? Getting a load of ashwalt (i think thats how you spell it) laying it out and getting a tree set up and all the works for under 500 Grand? Slowly working your way up from that and make it a bigger facility aswell..

Call me a dreamer but one of the things I think would be amazing is making a huge indoor track that offers 1/4 racing, drifting, tracking all with the option of running year round with a heated facility where you can pay to store your car over the course of the year.. My god would that be costly lol

blackpeople
10-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
I hope we can come to some sort of agreement to keep it around.

Would it honestly be too costly getting a peice of land down here somewhere in the country side? Getting a load of ashwalt (i think thats how you spell it) laying it out and getting a tree set up and all the works for under 500 Grand? Slowly working your way up from that and make it a bigger facility aswell..

Call me a dreamer but one of the things I think would be amazing is making a huge indoor track that offers 1/4 racing, drifting, tracking all with the option of running year round with a heated facility where you can pay to store your car over the course of the year.. My god would that be costly lol
you sure are a dreamer mustang boy :D

Shlade
10-19-2010, 10:32 AM
hahaha :)

Sugarphreak
10-19-2010, 10:44 AM

403 MKIV
10-19-2010, 10:51 AM

So we can have nothing? What kind of logic is this?

Nothing is not better than something.

retarded logic...thats what kind.

m10-power
10-19-2010, 10:52 AM

+ a million

Track closes we'll never get another one. People that believe there is investment once rcmp goes are crazy.
Rcmp only survives because its alrady there, to build a new one will require way too much money and the various governments won't let it happen.

Sounds like we are hooped

Toma
10-19-2010, 11:06 AM

Word!

That's fucked lol.

Race City is fine, the track is in a great spot. The stands just need a bit of work, nothing crazy, repaving would run maybe $100,000... (more to raise it up, and prevent water seeping up).... but really, my only real issue with it is the dip at about 1000 feet out in the right lane, but no one on this forum is fast enough to worry about it.

They need MAYBE $5000 in equipment to properly prep the surface for an event. $2000 for a used tractor to pull the tire dragger/sprayer (that they already have and is a top class piece of equipment), and maybe $3k for a street sweeper.

Fuck, if they get a lease, I'll buy them this shit.

Then, they need staff that is payed, versus volunteers, and a bit of clean-up.

All you keyboard experts saying its "doomed", it "sucks" etc probably don't even race.

TYPERAWR
10-19-2010, 11:11 AM
I support the 2011 calgary ring road gumball rally.

Sugarphreak
10-19-2010, 11:13 AM

derek_k
10-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by TYPERAWR

I also am a supporter for this cause

T-Dubbs
10-19-2010, 11:23 AM
:thumbsup:

kvg
10-19-2010, 11:28 AM

:clap: I agree completely!

BerserkerCatSplat
10-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Really, you think that if RCMP gets demolished, another track will actually be built in the surrounding area? Hahaha. Between the NIMBYs and city council it would never happen, period. When was the last time you were at the track, anyway?

beyond_ban
10-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Might be a while, Nenshi indicated he wants to re-open talks to put the SW ring road on native land....

Another reason i voted Nenshi :facepalm:

derek_k
10-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by kvg

Ya you must be completely retarded, if you drive a car, and voted for nenshi, shame on you

TYPERAWR
10-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Let's get one thing straight. Do you know how much it would cost to restart a racetrack somewhere else. Like any idea? So this being said you think just because they won't put a couple million into RCMP that there Gona find the money and dump a 100 mill into a new one? You my friend are dumber then you appear to be.

kvg
10-19-2010, 11:38 AM
I would love to see a plan in place to revamp RCMP. or build a new track before anything is done. Heres the thing a track can't make money and bring in a growing spectator base on secret street. I do go there often, but I would go more with sanctioned events.

Sugarphreak
10-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Russo
10-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by kvg

:facepalm: to you, and anyone else who thinks we will get a new track, Badlands might happen, but we don't have any info since 2009. The only reason race city is not the best shape is because its not worth to invest with just 2 years they got for the city.

Thaco
10-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Toma

All you keyboard experts saying its "doomed", it "sucks" etc probably don't even race. sorry to break your delusion, but i have worked/and volunteered at racecity in basically every available position over the pas 20 years, i have spent the better part of my life out there (on weekends), i raced in several events, oval racing, secret streets, roadcourse, go-karts... i know the place inside out, it's a dump, needs a lot more than a fresh layer of pavement on the dragstrip. and honestly, who is going to invest money in a place with such uncertainty?

the location is FAR from ideal, it's very close to residential developments, and is preventing further development in that area.. they are the cause for the urban sprawl in that area because nobody wants to be close to them, so they build past them... but of course the people complaining about RC closing are probably the same innercity elitists that complain about the sprawl.

gretz
10-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Waiting to hear back from the High River Airport... they are doing some digging for me to see if an event like "Race the Base" as well as other potential automotive venues are possible at this location... Just for shits, but who knows, mabey they'll say yes lol...

sputnik
10-19-2010, 12:03 PM

Where will the money from this come from?

beyond_ban
10-19-2010, 12:04 PM

You support going back and talking to them for another 20 years?

It was meant as sarcasm. I supported McIver.

Hash_man
10-19-2010, 12:06 PM
sorry to break your delusion, but i have worked/and volunteered at racecity in basically every available position over the pas 20 years, i have spent the better part of my life out there (on weekends), i raced in several events, oval racing, secret streets, roadcourse, go-karts... i know the place inside out, it's a dump, needs a lot more than a fresh layer of pavement on the dragstrip. and honestly, who is going to invest money in a place with such uncertainty?

the location is FAR from ideal, it's very close to residential developments, and is preventing further development in that area.. they are the cause for the urban sprawl in that area because nobody wants to be close to them, so they build past them... but of course the people complaining about RC closing are probably the same innercity elitists that complain about the sprawl.

I agree with Kev and Toma that Race city being shut down will not bring out more investors and get a new track built faster... In no way do I think this would help.

But Thaco... You cannot be serious about Race City being the cause for urban spwarl in that area?... That is a fucking joke... The dump is more of a cause for this than the race track any way you look at it. I know most people would rather deal with a bit of noise a couple times a week then the stench of a dump 24/7. :drama:

Thaco
10-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by gretz
Waiting to hear back from the High River Airport... they are doing some digging for me to see if an event like "Race the Base" as well as other potential automotive venues are possible at this location... Just for shits, but who knows, mabey they'll say yes lol... good luck with that, the owners of rocky mountain raceway have been fighting with the md of rockyview for like 6 years to get permits, finally they decided it wasn't worth it anymore and just closed it.

kevie88
10-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
But Thaco... You cannot be serious about Race City being the cause for urban spwarl in that area?... That is a fucking joke... The dump is more of a cause for this than the race track any way you look at it. I know most people would rather deal with a bit of noise a couple times a week then the stench of a dump 24/7. :drama:

Absolutely. Saying RCMP is responsible for urban sprawl is like saying the bagel I ate this morning is responsible for the nice weather today.

RC was in the middle of nowhere when it was built, and the city grew around it.

gretz
10-19-2010, 12:54 PM
good luck with that, the owners of rocky mountain raceway have been fighting with the md of rockyview for like 6 years to get permits, finally they decided it wasn't worth it anymore and just closed it.

Its a private airport though... Its worth a shot anyways, whats the worse they can say, No? I see vipers, kit cars, and other toys parked in and around the hangers - some airport members may have an interest in this as well... Hell, you can drive your car out there and put 100octane (leaded) in your car if you want to...

Kittens11
10-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Fuck in the end we will have nothing, i agree that the closing of racecity will not get us a new track, at least not within am hour of Calgay anyway.

403 MKIV
10-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Kittens11
Fuck in the end we will have nothing, i agree that the closing of racecity will not get us a new track, at least not within am hour of Calgay anyway.

Agreed. We're fucked unless some private investor fronts an absolutly insane amout of money to line the citys pockets and make them ignore the complaints of the people that are bitching about a racetrack by the dump. So unless some oil tycoon that has a secret interest in track racing steps forward with 50 million buck we can probably plan on heading up to Edmonton for the foreseable future.

Idratherbsidewayz
10-19-2010, 01:42 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Time to buy a flatbed if you want to track your car!!

Kittens11
10-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Never if i cant drive it to were i am racing i am not racing...

m10-power
10-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Thaco you sure sound like you have/had a beef with the current owner. Almost sounds personal sort of like wanting a company to fail because YOUR no longer working there...

Just my take after reading all you posts on this subject.

The noise could be fix if they built a south end berm. Currently the noise is funneled south. Rcmp is imho in a perfect spot, dumps and industial area.

Money will come from the current owner once a long term deal is in place. Also it doesnt have to happen in a year. Fix the issues on the track which are not major, dont really care about the stands, dont see an issue with the pit area, works just fine.

Saying its a shit hole is funny to me, what do people expect from a local track. This isnt F1. Id be happy with a track in a field with a dirt road leading into it, but i guess im not a princess...

Thaco
10-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by m10-power
Thaco you sure sound like you have/had a beef with the current owner. Almost sounds personal sort of like wanting a company to fail because YOUR no longer working there...

Just my take after reading all you posts on this subject.

The noise could be fix if they built a south end berm. Currently the noise is funneled south. Rcmp is imho in a perfect spot, dumps and industial area.

Money will come from the current owner once a long term deal is in place. Also it doesnt have to happen in a year. Fix the issues on the track which are not major, dont really care about the stands, dont see an issue with the pit area, works just fine.

Saying its a shit hole is funny to me, what do people expect from a local track. This isnt F1. Id be happy with a track in a field with a dirt road leading into it, but i guess im not a princess...

no , i have no beef, i have just seen things from the inside, and i know it's a lost cause with the current ownership, the place has constantly and rapidly declined since he took ownership. personally i have no problem with him, he just not have time, money, nor desire that the track needs if it were to be successful. It was my choice to stop working and volunteering there, nobody else's.

also, people seem to underestimate the cost of asphalt and labour in general, also people seem to be closed minded about the fact that there are 3 venues there, not just a 1/4 mile of pavement in the middle of a field.

who cares about the stands? sorry, but without spectators, you could expect your entry fee to double or triple at least.

the pits are fine, having them paved would be nice, but unnecessary and expensive.

you say the track isn't F1, no, but it almost was, under Ben Doktor, the previous owner, we had NHRA, IHRA, CART, almost F1, almost Nascar on the roadcourse.

to be completely honest the downhill started with the govt banning tabacco advertising, huge sponsor dollars from the likes of players and du maurier were no longer, and that hurt the track big time.

kvg
10-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Nenshi is on am770 and he's gonna take calls. Somebody should call in about a calgary track.:burnout:

TYPERAWR
10-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Calling listen

kvg
10-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Some one named Jason called and Nenshi did a dance.:thumbsdow
We need to know if RCMP what he will do if anything.

whiskas
10-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Race city is a private business. The city's role is limited to supporting the approval of permits or any other bureaucratic processes required to make changes.

Nenshi made it clear that it wouldn't be fair if the city subsidized a private business. It's up to the business stake holders to make sure the funds are there.

I think we need to take a closer look at what they've been doing in Quebec and Ontario. They've had great success opening up new, world class motorsports facilities, why should Alberta be any different? If anything it should be easier to find the land here since there's a whole lot of nothing outside of the cities.

kvg
10-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

I think we need to take a closer look at what they've been doing in Quebec and Ontario. They've had great success opening up new, world class motorsports facilities, why should Alberta be any different? If anything it should be easier to find the land here since there's a whole lot of nothing outside of the cities.

Were they city run?

Toma
10-19-2010, 03:35 PM
It is FAR cheaper to fix Race City than build a new venue.

Simple as that.

The location is great. I cant think of a better spot that is reasonably close.

Noise is not an issue if we mandate the NHRA 95db testing rules.... that way, even by the property line, we are down to less than 80db for even the loudest cars, which is dick.

All we need is a 30 year lease, and its an easy fix.

I know 2-3 guys that woulda got together and bought it from Art had a lease had a future.

TYPERAWR
10-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Fuckin Derek k

kvg
10-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Fuckin Derek k
?

kvg
10-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Toma

All we need is a 30 year lease, and its an easy fix.

I know 2-3 guys that woulda got together and bought it from Art had a lease had a future.

Good point. I guess knowing if the site had a future would make all the diff.

TYPERAWR
10-19-2010, 03:42 PM
He said that the property isn't much of a problem and that he is looking for solutions. The main issue is the landfill and he is going to be looking into it right away.

So maybe there is hope. I know there are people put there willing to put money into race City but like toma said it's up to how long they can keep the lease. So i dunno I couldent hear the call very well.

TYPERAWR
10-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Derek k talked to nenshi on 770 lol

xxviet
10-19-2010, 04:32 PM
if race city closes down ill just take it to the streets so it cant be that bad :dunno:

Zewind
10-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Race city needs to buy the land, and help find a land fill spot for the city. :thumbsup:

racerjim
10-19-2010, 05:07 PM
I think if it closes down it will never be rebuilt somewhere else. Too many nannie's don't want it near them, so a new location is not going to happen.

Another idea may be to buy Rocky Mountain Raceway and build it to what you want becuase the agreement with the county is already there, sure its a battle with them every year, but if the place is improved the taxes would be higher and the county would make some more money.

Just my opinion, but it would still take a lot of cash from an investor or group.

Redlyne_mr2
10-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Once it's gone it's gone. Times have changed, there is no way we will ever see another track again within the city limits.

kolumbo69
10-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Funny thing is people here had a solid from Mciver but instead jumped on the social media band wagon for Nenshi who really doesn't care about it.

Kiss Race City good bye! Money talks and in a economic downturn when the landfill needs somewhere to go... Plus we can't forget Bronoco will be lobbying with all the property he bought up around it.

Thaco
10-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by kolumbo69
Funny thing is people here had a solid from Mciver but instead jumped on the social media band wagon for Nenshi who really doesn't care about it.

Kiss Race City good bye! Money talks and in a economic downturn when the landfill needs somewhere to go... Plus we can't forget Bronoco will be lobbying with all the property he bought up around it. a solid what? even if the original lease was upheld, it's still only 2025 you know anybody that wants to dump a few million (+ maintain it) in to this for 15 years maximium? plus there's always the looming fear that the next city council may not be supportive of it.... i dont think a facility such as this will be supported on city land by any council, i think it needs to be in a MD outside of the city for it to get any traction/long term agreement.

Drsuce
10-19-2010, 07:21 PM
maybe the indians will see value in a race track... i wouldent even care if it was out by that new casino on the way out to canmore..... would only attract more people to the casino!

Sugarphreak
10-19-2010, 08:18 PM

m10-power
10-19-2010, 09:04 PM

The city council is very anti-motorsports...

Where do you get this from? From election it looks like two of the people that voted against the track are now out and replaced by people that claim to support it. Even if the mayor doesnt that still adds up to 9 vs 6 in favour. Doesnt sound anti-motorsports. Pretty sure the council didnt step in and tell the indians to kick you guys.

403 MKIV
10-19-2010, 09:09 PM
how did stratotech in Ft.Sask get financed/built?

Sugarphreak
10-19-2010, 09:59 PM

m10-power
10-19-2010, 10:13 PM

Well, somebody did... they have no obligation to follow city noise bylaws (not that we were actually breaking any btw as our events are noise regulated).

There has always been a lot of push back by the city whenever it comes to motorsports. Personally I always pictured Bronco grimacing out his window whenever he sees somebody enjoy a vehicle.

Probably someone complained to the casino and they though they might lose a customer, then scape goated the city.

It will be interesting to see what does happen to RCMP, I've used that facility for the last 15+ years. Enjoyed it, and many other race tracks, of which I can say race city isn't that bad. No where near how some here portray it to be (likely they never used it and certainly never been any place else)

I don't live in the city so I can only sit on the fence and hope race city survives and gets a legitimate deal to continue to operate and thrive.

8Ball
10-20-2010, 01:59 AM
Race City closes and there will NEVER BE A NEW TRACK.

nobody is going to build a new track here... if anyone is willing to throw money around they will build it in a far more suitable climate.

CSMRX7
10-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by m10-power

Probably someone complained to the casino and they though they might lose a customer, then scape goated the city.

It will be interesting to see what does happen to RCMP, I've used that facility for the last 15+ years. Enjoyed it, and many other race tracks, of which I can say race city isn't that bad. No where near how some here portray it to be (likely they never used it and certainly never been any place else)

I don't live in the city so I can only sit on the fence and hope race city survives and gets a legitimate deal to continue to operate and thrive.

I have to agree. Most of the people complaining about Race City don't use the facility, and those that do have never raced elsewhere to really know how well we have it.

It has been so much cheaper to run at Race City than other road courses in North America, and to be honest is in better shape then quite a few others I have been to.

Drsuce
10-20-2010, 09:09 PM
i'd be haappy if the staging lanes werent covered in gravel.... my drag radials look like shake n bake chicken by the time i get up front!

Thaco
10-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Drsuce
i'd be haappy if the staging lanes werent covered in gravel.... my drag radials look like shake n bake chicken by the time i get up front! pick up a broom.

DarrinGTA
11-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Maybe a little late, but I had to post none-the-less.

HERE'S THE SHORT OF IT AND THE REAL COSTS AND WHAT IS NEEDED.

#1 Someone to run the facilty PROPERLY. (Yes I am taking aim at you, Calgary MotorSports Council and that is NOT SLANDER and I dare you to post to this comment.)

#2 Repaving the ENTIRE facility. Road course, drag strip and oval. This will cost somewhere around $500,000.

#3 New timing system for the drag strip. Approx $50,000-$70,000 for that system.

#4 Sanctioning IHRA for the drag strip and NASCAR? for the oval. I'm not sure of the road course... maybe SCCA? Drag strip sanctioning is expensive per year, but with Nat'l events, the cost can be absorbed)

#5 A COMMUNITY TO STAND BEHIND RACE CITY AND STOP THE BITCHING AND WHINING.

I have seen most of the posts and need to comment on some other points.
First of all, the property that RaceCity sits on is designated for 2 uses ONLY. Either a DUMP or a MOTOR SPORTS FACILITY.
If Race City goes away, another track WILL NOT be built within a few years at a different location. Logistics and permits are stopping this no matter what you hear from other sources.
BadLands is private club and a roadcourse... not a drag strip.
There is MASSIVE amounts of truth in the WestWoods comment.... another track will be built.... it's only temporary....
Race City was in it's location LONG BEFORE THE NEIGHBORHOODS WERE BUILT .... so tuff that they don't like it.... they bought houses there knowing FULL WELL there was a track nearby. Same mentality as Hub Oil.... you built/bought there... deal with it.

DarrinGTA
11-06-2010, 10:43 PM
(part 2).....
I could go on and on about what is needed......
The major thing that is needed is PROPER management and not one group trying to out-do another group and be all political about it...... lets leave the politics to the politians and NOT at the track. ALL THE MOTORSPORT groups need to BAND TOGETHER with someone who is QUALIFIED AND AGREED UPON BY THE ENTIRE MOTORSPORTS COMMUNITY...... not some jerk-off that thinks he is the be-all, end-all, supreme being and the voice for everyone concerned. (Yes... that is shot #2 at you.... and I have MANY, MANY people who will agree that you are NOT the person to speak for them nor do you even have the skills nessesary to do so). Just a small example of proof of that comment.... I, that's right I, started this last year with 15 volunteers for drag racing. By the end of the 2nd week of being governed by this "new" group.... 5 volunteers had QUIT and VOWED TO NEVER RETURN. By the end of the season, I was advised that they were down to 6 volunteers and had even resorted to PAYING people just so they would have enough staff..... doesn't that say something about the management of Race City at that time??? (Yes that's shot #3 and I am still DEMANDING a VALID reason and explanation to MY FACE as to why you have banned me from Friday nights ... which in all honesty, I don't think you have the balls to do)

I know I will get a few comments from a certain couple of people about these 2 posts, and I welcome their attempts at trying to make themselves seem righteous and trying to "act in the best interest of motorsports in Calgary" ... but IMO, they have done very little and have only done more DAMAGE to the reputation of racing and the motorsport community as a whole.