PDA

View Full Version : recommend me a nice restaurant

3drian
10-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Hey guys im going up to calgary with my girlfirend to celebrate our 1 yr anniversary this weekend, I want something kinda nice and fancy, the only place I can think of is the Olive garden, any more sugestions? Im not from calgary so I dont know of any other nice restaurants...

jaysas_63
10-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by 3drian
Hey guys im going up to calgary with my girlfirend to celebrate our 1 yr anniversary this weekend, I want something kinda nice and fancy, the only place I can think of is the Olive garden, any more sugestions? Im not from calgary so I dont know of any other nice restaurants...
Drop the olive garden idea. whats ur budget per person?

3drian
10-19-2010, 12:01 PM
I dont really want to be cheap, I wouldnt mind spending around $100 for the both of us depends on the place

jaysas_63
10-19-2010, 12:09 PM
I dont really want to be cheap, I wouldnt mind spending around $100 for the both of us depends on the place

are you planning on drinking??

Speed_69
10-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Jacqueline Suzanne's Bistro :thumbsup:

chengj
10-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Are you open to any food types? A few off the top of my head...

- Big Fish
- Catch (Has a more casual Oyster Bar and a fancier upstairs)
- The Ranche
- Open Range
- River Cafe

3drian
10-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63

are you planning on drinking??

most likely yes.. and I would be willing to pay more if I actually got a couple of drinks

e31
10-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I thought you were trying to be funny with the Olive Garden comment. I read it in the voice of the nagging Jewish mother from the Big Bang Theory and spit coke all over my paperwork.

Don't worry, it's only internal paperwork and the only ones to see it are my boss, and the head of HR.

msommers
10-19-2010, 01:30 PM
What kind of food do you like? Pasta? Sushi? Chinese? Indian? Moroccian? Ethiopian? Or just a variety of things?

Since you said Olive Garden, I'll assume Italian.
- Da Guido
- La Brezza
- Jacqueline Suzziana's (sp)

Disoblige
10-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Sukiyaki House.

Guillermo
10-19-2010, 01:46 PM
All of the suggestions in this thread are really good, but are IMO quite variable in terms of cuisine, price and ambiance.

Jacquelyn Suzannes has good, reasonably-priced food and a dark antique decor, and would be great for a quiet romantic dinner. that said, however, it's fairly casual, and somewhere I would go on a "regular" night and not a special occasion. For an anniversary, Catch is a far more romantic and special restaurant. Their food is far superior to Jacquelyn Suzanne's, but it's also about twice the price... (expect to drop about $250 if you get a couple of bottles of wine, apps, entrees, tip, etc.)

you could also drive out to bragg creek and hit up that german/austrian place if you're into that kinda thing, or if you want to drive to canmore you have about 10 excellent and romantic options there, as well. (might be fun to grab a hotel room and make it an event).

oh - and yea, don't take her to the olive garden. while that kinda place is fine when you're stuck in Minot ND at 11pm after driving all day long and need something to eat, we have many independent restaurants in the city which are the same price but far superior quality. Rea's and Il Centro, e.g., if you want to keep it casual like the OG.

EDIT: but yea, as others have mentioned, it would help to have more info about what type of cuisine, ambiance, and price. There are literally hundreds of good restaurants, we could list options all day hahah, but it won't really be useful without knowing more about what you're looking for.

SJW
10-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Alladin's

Lebanese and the best food ever.

max_boost
10-19-2010, 02:05 PM
I went to Ric's Grill just the other night and it was great. Nice place. Service was excellent. Food was hot. It's been consistently good every time.

http://www.ricsgrill.com/

They had a 3 course dinner for $28 and $35 depending which entree you pick. Good value.

jaysas_63
10-19-2010, 02:11 PM
seeing that you initially wanted olive garden, looks like you want Italian...so id contemplate Buon Giorno!

its a good location right in the heart of 17th ave. its a nice cozy-casual atmosphere, and the food is much better than olive garden. its not expensive, and if you skip on desert, you could easily manage a bottle of house wine, an appetizer to share, and a few pasta entree's for under 100 for the two of you.

The venue reminds me of the quaint little Italian restaurants that you find here in the north end of Boston, you'll deff like it
:thumbsup:

shakalaka
10-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Calgary tower is another idea if you'd be into something like that. They have good food and also an amazing view. I was there a couple weeks ago with the gf and she had an amazing time. Offcourse you'd have to extend the budget a little though as with couple of drinks and the whole 4 course meal it came to about $200.

But if you just stick to main course and a desert it shouldn't be too bad.

Next on our list within a couple weeks is either Teatro or Il Sogno, they are both Italian. Have heard a lot of good things about them, but then again they are going to be bit on the expensive side I am going to assume.

Idratherbsidewayz
10-19-2010, 02:25 PM
For that budget I'd go to Una Pizza on 17th. Took a date there recently, we both had pizzas, shared an appetizer, and had a 1/2L of wine for $85 with tip.

Amazing atmosphere, great food. Since it's walkin only, you can put your name on the list, and they'll call you when your seat is ready. So you can go to the Ship and Anchor for a beer first or something along those lines...

max_boost
10-19-2010, 02:29 PM
If you are gonna go to Olive Garden, I really like Buon Giorno on 17th AVE SW.

Mercato I always hear good things about too.

Shlade
10-19-2010, 03:30 PM
$60 bucks aint cheap either dude.. haha thats just me tho

I LOVE the japanese village on 10th! Very entertaining, funny guys, good shows and excellent top quality food!

89coupe
10-19-2010, 03:46 PM

If you like Italian I highly suggest.

Il Sogno

24 - 4th Street North East
Calgary, AB T2E 3R7
(403) 232-8901

3drian
10-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Wow guys thanks a lot thats awesome, Im defenetly gonna have a nice night out.. ill keep you guys updated on where I decided to go.. now to decide haha :bigpimp:

Hakkola
10-19-2010, 07:41 PM
If you're willing to spend a bit more I would check out Mercato.

3drian
10-21-2010, 07:24 PM
so Ive been doing a lot of research and I kinda liked sky 360.. what do you guys think? I really like the view

Disoblige
10-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Sky 360 is good for the experience I suppose but it's nothing special. Kind of a one time thing and I wouldn't go there again.

I like a restaurant with a good dessert if it's something special.

+1 for Mercato. It is a great place, but the atmosphere is very lively. They do have an open kitchen afterall. If you're looking for a more quiet place, I would shy away from there, but otherwise it is great. I love their Tiramisu and cheesecake as well.

shakalaka
10-21-2010, 09:57 PM
so Ive been doing a lot of research and I kinda liked sky 360.. what do you guys think? I really like the view

Like I stated above, you'll enjoy it. Me and the gf didn't go for any special occasion but we had an awesome time nonetheless.

You can check this thread out for some reviews and there is a further link in there of another thread, albeit it's a bit older.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/317811/sky-360/

Guillermo
10-21-2010, 10:08 PM
^^I've heard the food isn't the greatest at sky 360, and that the only reason to go is for the view. something to think about.

shakalaka
10-21-2010, 10:17 PM
While I'll admit that the food isn't the best, meaning that I've had better food at other, equally pricey places. But it wasn't bad at all. My gf had the Lamb and it was amazing and my pork chop was good as well. The dessert we had was Chef's special - chocolate tastings, and it was totally mouth watering.

jdmXSI
10-21-2010, 10:37 PM
I would recomend Red Water Grill. I have been there 4-5 times, each time the food and service was great and probably one of the best steaks I've had! Reasonable pricing too with dinner and desert for 2 coming in around $85 with tip. If youre a fan of seafood, I would check out bookers on 4th ave downtown. Or if you want something trendy and up scale with a great vibe, check out social lounge in Aspen landing (a friend of mine is the executive chef and I stand behind anything he cooks!)

Hope that helps!

stans88
10-22-2010, 08:51 AM
mcdonalds hahah

mr2mike
10-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Avenue Magazine generally doesn't fail when it comes to it's yearly review.

http://www.avenuecalgary.com/articles/page/item/calgarys-best-restaurants-2010%3A-the-list

EXCEPT DON'T GO TO RUSH. Unless you like your car spit on and abused.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/316948/rush-restaurant-calgary-douchebag-valet-service-review/

Tik-Tok
10-22-2010, 09:37 AM

:thumbsup:
It's good for a anniversary date. The food is not "omg this is the best dinner evarrr!", but the combination of food, wine, and view makes it a good spot.

Also if you have a late dinner, there is never anyone on the upper level afterwards ;)

t-im
10-22-2010, 10:16 AM
As someone mentioned, Il Sogno is a good choice. One of my favorite Italian restaurants in the city.

I'm indifferent about Mercato, food is hit or miss there (and dishes are always over salted, even when I ask them for no salt). Bustling atmosphere though (but not romantic).

I actually like Rush...though it's been awhile so I can't comment on whether it's gone down hill or not..Just don't use valet I guess!

Originally posted by mr2mike
Avenue Magazine generally doesn't fail when it comes to it's yearly review.
http://www.avenuecalgary.com/articles/page/item/calgarys-best-restaurants-2010%3A-the-list

I actually disagree with all three of Avenue's "Restaurant of the Year" picks. I don't think River Cafe and Teatro have been good in years, and while Rogue's food may be decent (I don't find the food there to be exceptional, especially at that price point) the service is extremely disappointing. Same with Capo. It makes me cringe to even see it on any list there.

Calgary's fine dining scene is pure highway robbery. I wonder if Calgarians will ever realize how bad they're being gouged for mediocre food and equally as mediocre service.

bubbley
10-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Check out Sultans Tent, its morrocan food and the experience is quite awesome. Food is very good as well. If you decide to go here i'd call and reserve a booth which is covered, it's quite romantic.

boarderfatty
10-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by stans88
mcdonalds hahah

I do the McDonalds for anniversaries and not the Hotel MacDonald either, just the fast food place. If I get to a big day, like a year or 2 then it is time to break up any ways. I will take them through the drive through, and instead of getting them the normal cheeseburger value meal, I will splurge the extra 30 cents and get her a double cheeseburger just to show her that her personality is more important to me than what pants she can fit in...

I have never had a relationship I took seriously though. But any time I tell people about my McDicks anniversaries they laugh. Esp if the girlfriend is still around to confirm what an asshole I am.

msommers
10-22-2010, 12:51 PM
:rofl: what a guy.

With that in mind though, I wonder how many girls take their guy out for an expenive meal for the 1 or 2 year anniversary.

3drian
10-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Hey guys so as I said before I ended up going to sky 360, yes probably no the BEST restaurant in town but my gf is from saskatchewan and she has only been to calgary a few times, so I picked the place just for the view..

The only complain i have is that the place is a bit crowded and loud, not really intimate, however the view was awesome and so was the food, had some scallops to start and they were amazing, her salmon and my steak were pretty good too. Ended up paying 160 with tip and drinks, overall a really nice experience

you&me
10-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by bubbley
Check out Sultans Tent, its morrocan food and the experience is quite awesome. Food is very good as well. If you decide to go here i'd call and reserve a booth which is covered, it's quite romantic.

This is a great recommendation for the next Beyonder that needs the next romantic recommendation... definitely memorable.

OP - glad you enjoyed Sky 360... Last time I was there, I don't remember it being particularly loud... that's a bit unfortunate (considering what you were there for).

mr2mike
10-25-2010, 12:39 PM
FYI for those guys wanting to hit up the Sultan's Tent. The Cashbah is actually miles above that place.

revelations
10-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Took the lady to the Muse on Saturday night... much more romantic than SKY360. I found the food to be better too.

A790
10-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by boarderfatty

I do the McDonalds for anniversaries and not the Hotel MacDonald either, just the fast food place. If I get to a big day, like a year or 2 then it is time to break up any ways. I will take them through the drive through, and instead of getting them the normal cheeseburger value meal, I will splurge the extra 30 cents and get her a double cheeseburger just to show her that her personality is more important to me than what pants she can fit in...

I have never had a relationship I took seriously though. But any time I tell people about my McDicks anniversaries they laugh. Esp if the girlfriend is still around to confirm what an asshole I am.
Do you drink your own piss before or after the anniversary dinner?

boarderfatty
10-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by A790

Haha I have only drank my piss once. This girlfriend has not been around long enough for me to take her for a nice dinner, let alone an anniversary date. She thought it was funny but that I was retarded. She didn't kiss me for over a week which was fine given I hate kissing in the first place. I wish she would have kept it going for longer.

bubbley
10-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by A790

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3drian
10-25-2010, 01:57 PM
this great is great now I know of more places to go when im up in calgary