PDA

View Full Version : Look for advice from an adjuster that deals w houses...

JMaj7
10-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Here's the scoop

My mother noticed a leak in her house when it rained this spring and thought the roof needed replacement. When we hired a roofer, he reminded us that we did the roof a few years ago and it was fine. The leak was caused by damage to the side of the house. The adjuster for her insurance deemed the damage "wear and tear" and rejected her claim. My mother didn't really contest the adjusters verdict and hired a contractor (STUCO?) to fix it and took out a loan to pay for the damage. The contractor told us that the damage is not "wear and tear" and is in fact hail damage. It simply got worse due to the wet season and no one noticing it because of where it is. They gave her this in writing and she forwarded it over to her insurance company and they still won't review or reconsider her claim. I am wondering what a good way to contest the adjusters seemingly arbituary decision would be.

I am told that there are independent adjusters out there that might be able to help. I am honestly looking for a second opinion because I know my mother spends a lot on many of their policies. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

403Gemini
10-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Thing is, insurance companies don't look at another roofing companies report since they have profitable interest, so needless to say their report is viewed as a bit biased. In order to contest what the insurance companies decision is, you need to hire an appraiser to inspect the roof and if he deems it as hail damage and not wear and tear, he will do up a report that you submit to your insurance company. From there they essentially get an umpire to review both of the reports, looking at pictures, and likely do their own inspection and come to a decision, and that's what the insurance company has to abide by.

At least thats the way most do it... all companies are different.

Hope that helps.

edit: also keep in mind, the adjusters decision, though it may seem arbitrary, is quite educated. The companies don't just sound out any yokel willing to climb a ladder, there is a lot of training that goes behind doing exterior inspections. With this year, I know myself alone have looked at 300+ roofs...

JMaj7
10-19-2010, 07:07 PM
For the record, the damage is on the side of the house. I'm not asking them to change their decision yet. I am sincerely looking for a second opinion from an unbiased party. How much does this sorta thing cost? Where can I find the most credible one?

Ruggzy_McTuggz
10-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by JMaj7
For the record, the damage is on the side of the house. I'm not asking them to change their decision yet. I am sincerely looking for a second opinion from an unbiased party. How much does this sorta thing cost? Where can I find the most credible one?

Any chance you can get pictures of the damage to the side of the house? Where abouts was this house located. You need some crazy big hail to affect stucco to the point where water ingress would be an issue. Behind the stucco you still have the exterior sheathing (plywood) and often tar paper as well to keep water out.

How did the water get into the home? Was it around a window flashing or through the roof decking?

An Independent adjuster would not touch this claim with a 10 foot pole. Independent adjusters require work from Insurance companies to keep employed. What you will want to find is a public adjuster, as they will really fight for you, but it is far from cheap.

Your other option is just to get a property damage appraiser (go to ARCA website, they have a section that lists different firms that offer this service). They are cheaper (probably $300 ballpark), but they will likely tell you the same thing the adjuster already told you.

JMaj7
10-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Hmmm.. worth a shot. I'll google that right away. I'll post an update either way.

403Gemini
10-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Ruggzy_McTuggz

Any chance you can get pictures of the damage to the side of the house? Where abouts was this house located. You need some crazy big hail to affect stucco to the point where water ingress would be an issue. Behind the stucco you still have the exterior sheathing (plywood) and often tar paper as well to keep water out.

How did the water get into the home? Was it around a window flashing or through the roof decking?

An Independent adjuster would not touch this claim with a 10 foot pole. Independent adjusters require work from Insurance companies to keep employed. What you will want to find is a public adjuster, as they will really fight for you, but it is far from cheap.

Your other option is just to get a property damage appraiser (go to ARCA website, they have a section that lists different firms that offer this service). They are cheaper (probably $300 ballpark), but they will likely tell you the same thing the adjuster already told you.

You've dealt with that way too much ;)