PDA

View Full Version : Winter Car Storage

dj_rice
10-19-2010, 10:20 PM
This will be my first year where I've had to store a car for winter. The past other years of winter, I just drove the 240sx throughout, so this year, since its a mint 240sx with no underbody/frame rust, I'm gonna be parking it and driving the Pathy.

The car will be parked in the heated underground parkade of my condo, temps in there will be around 20+ all throughout wintertime.

So I am not sure what the process is to do everything since all I've read are threads about storing cars outside for winter.

I have gathered the following info so far.

Do an oil change before you store it.
Fill up the tank full with gas and put in a fuel stabilizer? (Not sure if this is needed since its in a heated parkade, any input?)
Disconnect the battery
Detail car before storing

Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Only other thing I can think of is bald spots on tires, so every 2 weeks I'll push the car so it will be on tire area of tire everytime?

Thanks in advance guys

Graham_A_M
10-19-2010, 10:23 PM
You got it. If you want; put the car on jack-stands so its off the tires.... but your list works great.
If you want decent & cheap in/outdoor storage, call up East Side storage in Airdrie. I've used them for several years.
Outside is $25/month
Inside is $100/month.
What I would suggest is bringing your battery inside, and putting it on a Battery Tender, or the like. That'll extend its life exponentially.

shutterbug_art8
10-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Only other thing I can think of is bald spots on tires, so every 2 weeks I'll push the car so it will be on tire area of tire everytime?

I would just increase the tire pressure to 40+ psi. Also release the hand brake and chock the tires. Plug the muffler tips with rag. Battery Tender the battery.

cream
10-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
You got it. If you want; put the car on jack-stands so its off the tires.... but your list works great.
If you want decent & cheap in/outdoor storage, call up East Side storage in Airdrie. I've used them for several years.
Outside is $25/month
Inside is $100/month.
What I would suggest is bringing your battery inside, and putting it on a Battery Tender, or the like. That'll extend its life exponentially.

He said he's parking it in his condo parkade...:facepalm:

Tik-Tok
10-20-2010, 08:45 AM
T
I have gathered the following info so far.

Do an oil change before you store it.
Fill up the tank full with gas and put in a fuel stabilizer? (Not sure if this is needed since its in a heated parkade, any input?)
Disconnect the battery
Detail car before storing

-I don't do an oil change until it's time to bring it back out, condensation can still get into your oil just from sitting (though maybe not for you, depending how far you are from the door). Some argue that used oil has corrosive substances in it that will eat at your oil pan, but so does fresh oil if it's just sitting there for months.

-Fuel Stabilizer isn't the same as fuel de-icer. No matter what the climate, fuel goes bad (though it's debatable the length of time it takes to start turning)

-Disco your battery for sure, but it's better if you have a spot in your condo to keep it on trickle charge

-Detail your car is a good idea, also a custom car cover is great for keeping it clean (ie dust free) over the winter, so come spring it's minty fresh for the first drive

-put aluminum foil balls in the exhaust to keep mice from building a nest in there

- ignore all the haters who will eventually come into the thread saying "cars are meant to be driven, not stored".

Shlade
10-20-2010, 11:49 AM
I agree with Tik-Tok.

Although for fuel since it WILL go bad id leave it very close to empty. Thats what I did with my car.

All I did with mine was detail it on the outside (inside doesnt hurt either) park it, Disconnected the negative cable on the battery, put a car cover on the car and itll sit there all winter in my pretty decently heated garage.

I didnt put any rags in the exhaust but thanks for that idea ill do that now!

As Tik-Tok said.. Ignore the people who say cars are meant to be driven not stored. Theres a reason there arent many foxbody mustangs around in good condition because of that statement. Id still have my 240sx if it was stored and taken care of instead of driven to the ground threw rough winters. Cars got feeling too ya know ;)

Tik-Tok
10-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Shlade

I didnt put any rags in the exhaust but thanks for that idea ill do that now!

Don't use rags, mice will make a nest out of that, they don't like aluminum foil, and steel wool

Sugarphreak
10-20-2010, 12:45 PM

dj_rice
10-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
+1 on the jackstands to prevent getting a flat spot on the tires.... PA has em' for $24 a pair

http://www.princessauto.com/workshop/garage/lifting-devices/jacks/1090010-2-ton-jack-stands

Just picked up a car cover from Canadian Tire for $39

And I might have to pass on the jackstands, scared kids or someone bored will just kick out the jackstand and there goes my car.

And keep fuel low as possible. Got it!

Any other good tips keep em coming.

Tik-Tok
10-20-2010, 01:05 PM

And I might have to pass on the jackstands, scared kids or someone bored will just kick out the jackstand and there goes my car.

I don't bother with jackstands either, I've never had any issues with "flat spots" on any car I've put away for the winter (and I've done it 6 times).

The only one I've ever been concerned about was the GTO, as it's been off the road for 4 years now, and with that I just jacked up the car once a year and spun the tire around.

BokCh0y
10-20-2010, 01:06 PM
This is what i did:

- Change Oil

- Left Gas low, say at 1/3 remaining and tossed in fuel stabilixzer. I was told to not tofill it up, why? I cannot remember.

- Stuff exhaust with steel wool

- put a few sheets of paper towel under the wiper blades so the blades don't stick on the windshield

- i didn't toss the car on jack stands cuz i stated it every 3 weeks to cycle to oil and keep the seals lubed. At taht time i just pulled the car outta the garage so i wouldn't gas my house and poison anything

- detailed it inside and outside. I used Lexol on the seats and just let it sit for months basically. The leather was so much softer after wards. I also waxed the car up too. Make sure you wash underneath and in the fender wells real good.

- disconnect the battery

- blocks behind the tires so it would slide incase.

- left the e-brake off and car in neutral (for manual tranny) hence the blocks. was told the brakes may seize to the drums/roters that's why to leave the ebrake off. Not sure why i was to leave it in neutral, can't remember now.

And I think that's all i did. if i remember anything else i will update.

Tik-Tok
10-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
This is what i did:

- put a few sheets of paper towel under the wiper blades so the blades don't stick on the windshield

Oh yeah, forgot about that one as well. Not only so they don't stick, but also so the rubber doesn't permanently bend. I use a little block of wood on the arms to keep the blades off the windshield altogether.

Abeo
10-20-2010, 01:15 PM
You fill up the tank so there is no chance of corrosion from the air in the tank, the downside is you have a full tank of not that great gas to burn through in the spring. Good gas tanks for 240's are extremely rare to find, so I'd err on the side of caution

rage2
10-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Flat spots on the tires? You're storing it for a few months in the winter, not for 5 years haha.

My storage routine is easy. Wash the car, park it. Throw on a battery trickle charger. Drive it when shit melts.

e31
10-20-2010, 02:06 PM
One other thing I do when I winterize my vehicles is to put a tablespoon (or more for dished piston engines) in the cylinder, pull the fuel pump relays, and turn it over a couple times.

Tinfoil the intake as well as the exhaust, I've tried to start a skidoo with an entire mouse carcass resting in a cylinder bore (found later).

Tik-Tok
10-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by e31
One other thing I do when I winterize my vehicles is to put a tablespoon (or more for dished piston engines) in the cylinder, pull the fuel pump relays, and turn it over a couple times.

:rofl:

Might want to edit that, otherwise that'll be some noisy cranking

bjstare
10-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Abeo
You fill up the tank so there is no chance of corrosion from the air in the tank, the downside is you have a full tank of not that great gas to burn through in the spring. Good gas tanks for 240's are extremely rare to find, so I'd err on the side of caution

:werd:

Don't leave your tank less than full. Who cares if you have to burn off a bit of old gas (which won't even be that old). Better than getting a corroded gas tank.

M.alex
10-20-2010, 02:24 PM
I just disconnect the battery and that's it.
Used to drive over wooden boards so tire doesn't develop flta spots from the concrete, but I havn't bothered doing that in yeras and havn['t had any problems

benyl
10-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Why don't you just park it like normal (everyday).

Take it for a rip around the parking lot every 4 weeks or even outside when it is warm out and the roads are dry.

Tik-Tok
10-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Take it for a rip around the parking lot every 4 weeks or even outside when it is warm out and the roads are dry.

Ever notice how white the roads are in winter, even when dry?

mr2mike
10-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Flat spots on the tires? You're storing it for a few months in the winter, not for 5 years haha.

My storage routine is easy. Wash the car, park it. Throw on a battery trickle charger. Drive it when shit melts.

^^This!

I've never had flat spots on the tires, I'd bet you'd burn the tires out before you find flat spots on them.

No to changing oil before you store it. If anything, lucas oil stabalizer and drive the car around. Then in the spring, you change oil, then start the car.

I try to have low fuel, but it's no big deal. I limp to the gas station and get new gas before boosting the turbo.

I use the c-tek charger and it's amazing. No more issues with starting in the spring. If not, pull the battery out and keep it in the house.

Starting the car for even 30min to let it idle every month is dumb too. Just more wear on the car. Oil won't get hot enough to burn off condensation and it's pointless. I did this the first time I stored my old car. Waste of time. The one time start in the spring is fine with new oil and pull a fuse/relay to build oil pressure before you attempt to start it.

People can do what they want but in reality, its a few months, I doubt seals will dry out in that short of time frame.

Underground parking garages are touch and go for storing. Lots don't have enough plug ins and check it periodically. I've seen them shut breakers off and you'll lose the point of the trickle charger.

benyl
10-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Ever notice how white the roads are in winter, even when dry?

Well, then he should store his car in a hermetically sealed chamber. Cause the cars going in and out of the garage everyday will bring salt and moisture with them.

dj_rice
10-20-2010, 08:40 PM
:rofl: :rofl: @ this thread turning into entertainment

88CRX
10-20-2010, 08:46 PM
- Full take of gas.
- Wash then car cover.
- Pull battery and store in basement.
- ????
- Profit.

- Oil change come spring.

cream
10-20-2010, 09:14 PM
mice in your exhausts?!?! since when....

92s13SR20
10-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Wash it
Up tire pressures
Low Gas(+1 for S13)
Fuel Stabilizer
Add some Lucas Stabilizer to the oil
Drive it like you would for 20-30 mins
Park it
Cover exhaust and Intake with tin foil
Put battery Stabilizer on
Lock it up
Custom Car Cover on
..........5 months..........
Car cover off
Pop Hood and make sure everything is still the way it was
Change oil and adjust tire pressures
Peek Under the Car for any fluid leaks
Check the battery
Start it up
Drive it to the nearest gas station
Car wash

Same routine for 4 years...hasn't failed me yet

derpderp
10-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by cream
mice in your exhausts?!?! since when....

Doesn't really sound that unrealistic to me :dunno:

Tik-Tok
10-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by derpderp

Doesn't really sound that unrealistic to me :dunno:

I've heard it happen enough to warrant the 25 cents in tinfoil.

KO22
10-20-2010, 10:38 PM
so low fuel or full fuel! everyone is saying different? haha.. i need to figure this out to shes going to sleep tomorrow!

captain134
10-20-2010, 10:52 PM
I have been told from different people to have a full tank and it makes sense. If it has a full tank, condensation can't can't collect and the metal of your tank won't rust when soaked in gas as far as I know.

I've also been told you shouldn't leave it on jackstands because your suspension is not designed to be over extended for long periods of time and can damage it. This is just what I have been told. You will have to make your own decision on what is correct I guess.

KO22
10-21-2010, 12:21 AM
hmm, anyone else have any other answers? it makes sense for a fuel tank + fuel stabilizer, but what are / if any precautions when starting up the car next year and driving it around on an old tank of gas that first time? I was intially going to fill it up+stabilizer and start it every 3 weeks or so, but it looks like everyone is saying thats a bad idea because it causes wear so scratch that idea, and no worries on that jack stand issue for me, i'm just getting some steelies from a member on here and throwing on some cheap tires and putting away the good set downstairs where its all cozzy ha-ha.

cream
10-21-2010, 12:32 AM
If I were to just bring the battery into the house, would the car start in 5-6 months?
I'll be parking it in my garage, but my dad will be coming in and out everyday. I'm planning on leaving a couple bars of gas on and that's it..
Or should I keep the battery in and keep it plugged in, and start the car every couple weeks or so?

Shlade
10-21-2010, 01:44 AM
Everybody does it different. Just clean the car and park it, unplug the battery and thats all you have to do.

This isnt rocket science lol

Tik-Tok
10-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by KO22
hmm, anyone else have any other answers? it makes sense for a fuel tank + fuel stabilizer, but what are / if any precautions when starting up the car next year and driving it around on an old tank of gas that first time? .

Nothing. That's what fuel stabilizer is for. Maybe if you have a highly refined tune, that's right on the edge of knock, then you'll have some issues, but probably not.

mr2mike
10-21-2010, 10:05 AM
In the spring, just like Tik-tok said, fuel stabalizer is used for this reason. But I personally, just drive the car modestly, avoid high revs or lugging the motor until you get some fresh gas in there.

88CRX
10-21-2010, 11:42 AM
I was always told full tank of gas to avoid any condensation in the tank. It ran fine on 'old gas' come spring time when I took it out.

88CRX
10-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by cream
If I were to just bring the battery into the house, would the car start in 5-6 months?
I'll be parking it in my garage, but my dad will be coming in and out everyday. I'm planning on leaving a couple bars of gas on and that's it..
Or should I keep the battery in and keep it plugged in, and start the car every couple weeks or so?

You need to disconnect it so it doesn't get drained while sitting.

You need to bring it inside (to a warm place) to avoid the battery from freezing in cold weather. If you're storing in a warm/heated garage you don't need to remove it completely.

I was expecting mine to not start after sitting all winter but it fired right up.

v2kai
10-22-2010, 01:40 PM
another thought (although somewhat minor) set your climate control to recirculate the air before parking so the vents are closed keeping out dust a bit more, and critters like the last surviving spiders and insects from getting in.

M.alex
10-22-2010, 02:32 PM
hmm, anyone else have any other answers? it makes sense for a fuel tank + fuel stabilizer, but what are / if any precautions when starting up the car next year and driving it around on an old tank of gas that first time? I was intially going to fill it up+stabilizer and start it every 3 weeks or so, but it looks like everyone is saying thats a bad idea because it causes wear so scratch that idea, and no worries on that jack stand issue for me, i'm just getting some steelies from a member on here and throwing on some cheap tires and putting away the good set downstairs where its all cozzy ha-ha.

Seriously? You're going to waste your time getting junk rims and tires and swapping them over for it to sit on. It's only going to be sitting 3-5months, not 3-5yrs :rofl:

KO22
10-22-2010, 02:37 PM
if you read buddy i said i got a car with an extra set of tires you dumbass.. and no i wont even have to do that anymore cause i got a free set of rims to.. so yeah i like to keep 4500 dollar rims and tires in mint condition sorry for hurting you .. lawl

rage2
10-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
Seriously? You're going to waste your time getting junk rims and tires and swapping them over for it to sit on. It's only going to be sitting 3-5months, not 3-5yrs :rofl:
That's the cool thing now. Summer wheels, winter wheels, and storage wheels! :rofl:

Redlyne_mr2
10-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Ok enough arguing, I do it the right way.
- Park car
- Remove battery
- Drain fluids
- Remove engine

When summer arrives
- Install engine
- Add new fluids (always has to be the $$$ stuff motul, tilton etc)
- Sell wheels and tires with flat spots to Redlyne Jr.
- Buy new wheels and tires and install those

Do it all over again the following year

djayz
10-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
- Park car
- Remove battery
- Drain fluids
- Remove engine

When summer arrives
- Install engine

Win. If you don't do it this way you shouldn't be storing your car at all.

Simple steps which have been repeated time and time again.
Full tank of gas to avoid condensation - gas goes bad but it takes years not months!
Clean the car and throw a car cover on.
Fill up pressure in tires - if you leave them low you will have flat spots that will go away after a quick drive but the sidewalls may start to crack a little so just fill the tires up.
Steel wool in exhaust to keep critters out.
E-brake down and out of gear, put blocks behind wheels to avoid movement.

Done!

benyl
10-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2

That's the cool thing now. Summer wheels, winter wheels, and storage wheels! :rofl:

I have 3 sets of wheels for all my cars :dunno: :dunno:

ericchoweg
10-22-2010, 03:05 PM
- Park car
- Remove battery
- Drain fluids
- Remove engine

When summer arrives
- Install engine

this has to be one of the funniest things i have ever read on beyond

mr2mike
10-22-2010, 03:12 PM
:thumbsup:
Flawless, Redlyne!

:rofl:

v2kai
10-22-2010, 03:37 PM
- Park car
- Remove battery
- Drain fluids
- Remove engine

When summer arrives
- Install engine

I'd like to try this but how many sets of wheels and tires with flat spots does Redlyne Jr. like to purchase each season?

M.alex
10-22-2010, 04:23 PM
- Park car
- Remove battery
- Drain fluids
- Remove engine

When summer arrives
- Install engine

I can't believe you didn't remove all upper and lower control arms and place the frame on jacks in order to not stress out the suspension parts from just sitting there. You're such a noob :rofl:

M.alex
10-22-2010, 04:25 PM
if you read buddy i said i got a car with an extra set of tires you dumbass.. and no i wont even have to do that anymore cause i got a free set of rims to.. so yeah i like to keep 4500 dollar rims and tires in mint condition sorry for hurting you .. lawl

yea, because they will soooo be mint after driving on Calgary roads for a few thousand KMs a year, but leaving them on the car while it's parked will ruin their mintness :rofl:

88CRX
10-22-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm putting my 'storage wheels' on tomorrow. Prelude wheels + old all season tires. No worries about flat spots haha. Also allows for easy selling/buying of new wheels over the winter.

flipstah
07-17-2016, 01:54 PM
Bump, how was storing doing for everyone?

Have to store a car for the first time this upcoming winter and reading through the pages have been enlightening so far.

Cooked Rice
07-24-2016, 01:08 PM
Important one: use non-ethanol gas. That means Shell V-Power. Not Husky, Petrocan, Esso etc. Ethanol is a big moisture sponge.

Steel gas tank: Full with fuel stabilizer (Stabil 360 if you want). Then after storage you can just startup and drive it. Or if you are skeptical, drain the fuel tank after storage and use the fuel for the lawn mower over summer. Only bother with it if it's easy to do on your vehicle, if not, like I said, just drive it and use it up.

Plastic gas tank, fuel level not as important if you are going to drain the tank after storage. If not, follow same procedures as above.

Again use non-ethanol gas over the storage period. As mentioned, no starting until you are ready to bring it out on the road and get the engine nice and hot. Or you will end up with a oil milkshake in the springtime from all the crankcase condensation.