PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Mechanic to Inspect a Vehicle

cidley69
10-20-2010, 07:10 AM
I am considering buying a used vehicle and would like to have a mechanical inspection done first.

IS anyone on here a mechanic who could do an inspection, or can you recommend one.

Preference to someone who could do this outside of a shop (ie. you come to the vehicle with tools), or a shop located near Mayland Heights (8th Ave and 17th St NE).

I've looked in the phone book, but most places have a several day wait to get in.

Any help appreciated!

TeHashu
10-21-2010, 11:11 AM
I got my car inspected from this Andrew guy. He's licenced to do it and will come to your house if you need it. Plus he's pretty cheap
pm me and ill send you his #

revelations
10-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Out of curiosity, which vehicle?

G-ZUS
10-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Out of curiosity, which vehicle?

My guess would be this one.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/318833/crash-while-test-driving-a-vehicle/

cidley69
10-22-2010, 08:28 AM
It won't be that vehicle anymore (nuff said), but I would like to know someone capable of a good inspection. MOst shops seem so busy there is a several day wait to get a vehicle inspected.

How many items are included on the inspection?

Is it the standard brakes, fluids, lights, type of inspection you get when they change your oil, or does he do more in depth stuff.

Could anyone list the items that should be included in a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection?

G-ZUS
10-22-2010, 08:37 AM
I've never done one before but I've had someone do one on a car they purchased for me. They get it on a hoist, check brakes, tires, suspension, lights, exhaust. They road test it after. Pretty much a glorified safety inspection depending on where you take it.

freshprince1
10-22-2010, 09:39 AM
I used this place for a pre-purchase inspection on my last car:

Integron Auto Center (http://www.integron.ca/)

It is privately owned. My neighbor is a mechanic there. They did a very detailed inspection and outlined things that needed attention and things to be aware of that can wait. I was very pleased.

Kloubek
10-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Do you want a truly thorough inspection, or do you just want to get it passed?

If the latter, there is a guy on Kijiji who will come to your home and do it for $40. And if it doesn't pass (which is highly unlikely), you don't pay.

cidley69
10-22-2010, 10:08 AM
I spoke with my insurance company, and they only require an inspection on vehicles 25 years or older.

So, passing or failing isn't a concern. What is a concern is knowing the true mechanical condition of the vehicle we want to purchase, so we don't have anything unexpected after.

I'll try the shop posted above.

I guess mechanical things like compression tests are a thing of the past?

msommers
10-22-2010, 10:09 AM
54th and 4th is good. Dale is a very honest guy. Has many certificates from Honda hanging in his shop but works on a lot of other cars.

Ryan Co Automotive is good too.

revelations
10-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Do you want a truly thorough inspection, or do you just want to get it passed?

If the latter, there is a guy on Kijiji who will come to your home and do it for $40. And if it doesn't pass (which is highly unlikely), you don't pay.

Link to mechanic?

(I found a bunch on Kijiji under "mobile mechanic". )

Kloubek
10-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Not hard to do a search on Kijiji dude!

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-automotive-services-auto-insurance-financing-BEST-PRICE-IN-TOWN-40-Mobile-Inspections-With-A-Guarantee-W0QQAdIdZ237240563

lellowrx7
10-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by TeHashu
I got my car inspected from this Andrew guy. He's licenced to do it and will come to your house if you need it. Plus he's pretty cheap
pm me and ill send you his #

If its the same guy im thinking of he did 3 of my cars already. charges like 40 bucks and comes right to you.
check craigslist for him

derpderp
10-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Not hard to do a search on Kijiji dude!

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-automotive-services-auto-insurance-financing-BEST-PRICE-IN-TOWN-40-Mobile-Inspections-With-A-Guarantee-W0QQAdIdZ237240563

add isn't working

copynpaste
10-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by cidley69
I am considering buying a used vehicle and would like to have a mechanical inspection done first.

IS anyone on here a mechanic who could do an inspection, or can you recommend one.

Preference to someone who could do this outside of a shop (ie. you come to the vehicle with tools), or a shop located near Mayland Heights (8th Ave and 17th St NE).

I've looked in the phone book, but most places have a several day wait to get in.

Any help appreciated!

If you want a very throrough inspection you need to have the car hoisted, its best to take it to a shop. I know a father and son shop just off McKnight, theyre very good and good rates. He doesnt have a long wait either and theyre most importantly honest!!! Something thats rare in the auto industry.

With that being said, DO NOT GO TO CAR SALON! they tried to sell me on parts and service i didnt need and on top quoted me $700 for a $300 job.

cidley69
10-24-2010, 12:43 AM
hey coypaste,

this is the type of shop I am looking for. please pm me contact info for them.

Kloubek
10-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by derpderp

add isn't working

Grrr... he's right up there when you search for "insurance inspection" for gods sake.

Try this:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-automotive-services-repairs-maintenance-BEST-PRICE-IN-TOWN-40-Inspections-With-A-Guarantee-W0QQAdIdZ238044364

nobb
11-01-2010, 03:19 PM
I know this is an old thread and OP probably found an inspector, but rather than starting a new thread...I was wondering if you guys could recommend a certified mechanic to inspect the car as cheaply as possible to be able to get it insured? If so, what's the cost? Im planning on buying a beater to learn stick, and therefore the car is not a daily driver.