PDA

View Full Version : GST on vehicles in Ontario?

funkedelic2
10-20-2010, 09:09 AM
Someone told me you pay 13% gst on any vehicle in Ontario? Seems ridiculous. Does anybody know if you would have to pay gst if you bought a car from another province from someone that doesnt live in Ontario? Also could changing the amount on the bill on sale to save a bit of money get you in some trouble?

Tik-Tok
10-20-2010, 09:19 AM
http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/en/guides/rst/209.html

http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/en/guides/rst/700.html

Goods Permanently Removed from Ontario

Persons who purchase goods in Ontario and then subsequently remove these goods from the province, for permanent use outside of Ontario, may apply for a rebate of the RST that was paid.

To qualify for the rebate, all of the following conditions must be met:

* the goods are permanently removed from Ontario within 30 days of purchase
* the RST paid on each invoice is $50.00 or more
* the RST was not paid in respect of tobacco products, liquor, wine or beer, and
* if the goods are removed to another Canadian jurisdiction, proof is supplied that all of the applicable tax has been paid to the other Canadian jurisdiction. If the goods are purchased for use in a jurisdiction where sales tax is not payable, proof of delivery, e.g., a copy of the bill of lading or customs document, must be sent with the claim.

In the case of new motor vehicles that are removed for permanent use outside of Ontario, the rebate includes any TFFC that may have been paid. http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/en/forms/rst/pdf/1181.pdf

911fever
10-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Nah man, most dealers won't charge you it if you show an Alberta drivers license. It's that simple. That's all we ever did when we bought cars from Ontario and lived in Alberta.

Supa Dexta
10-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
Does anybody know if you would have to pay gst if you bought a car from another province from someone that doesnt live in Ontario?

What does that even mean?

If you register a car in a province that charges tax on car sales, then you pay the tax.. Simple as that.. I'm an albertan but when I buy vehicles in NS to drive there, I pay the tax on them. And you cant claim much of a lower amount then its worth, they'll go by the book value and bill you accordingly.

funkedelic2
10-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

What does that even mean?

If you register a car in a province that charges tax on car sales, then you pay the tax.. Simple as that.. I'm an albertan but when I buy vehicles in NS to drive there, I pay the tax on them. And you cant claim much of a lower amount then its worth, they'll go by the book value and bill you accordingly.

It means there's someone interested in my car and he wants to know if he would have to pay gst still.

Redlyne_mr2
10-20-2010, 12:21 PM
If he's from Ontario he has to pay all provincial taxes at the registries when he registrers the vehicle out there.

thefarnorth
10-20-2010, 12:28 PM
you would pay gst on a use car at registries, the government decides how much you pay even if you pay 100 bucks for the car and they say its worth 2000 bucks you pay gst on 2000 bucks

911fever
10-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by thefarnorth
you would pay gst on a use car at registries, the government decides how much you pay even if you pay 100 bucks for the car and they say its worth 2000 bucks you pay gst on 2000 bucks

There's easy ways to get around that though - I've had the gov't say my car was worth 10k when I got it appraised for 3k - I paid 3k gst after i showed the appraisal.