PDA

View Full Version : 4wd 240sx?

SwitchBlade
12-31-2003, 04:15 PM
I was at work today and it was slow. I started to think, that if the 1990 4wd Nissan truck has the same engine as the 240sx then what kinda work would it take to make a 4wd 240sx? Would the transfer case fit from the nissan truck and if not could you substitute a skyline transfer case?

I dunno if it would work at all but i just thought it would be all together unheard of. Silvias and silvia conversions are very seldom here, but imagine a 4WD 240sx.

EK 2.0
12-31-2003, 04:22 PM
Dude, it would be SO much work...you would have to change your entire floor pan to accomodate the AWD or 4WD system...you are prolly better off swapping a SR or RB into a nissan truck for more "exclusivity"

But hey man your cash and time so go nuts...

GTS Jeff
12-31-2003, 04:32 PM
well if u could do it, the car would be pretty slow...

Big_C_racing
12-31-2003, 05:08 PM
The biggest problem would probly be finding space for all the extra hardware. The 240 is already fairly full under the hood and in the transmission tunnel so it would be very impractical.

Just wondering GTS Jeff....why would it be slow?

KoukiS14
12-31-2003, 05:12 PM
Yuck! That would be so gay.

There are a few SR powered Hardbody's in the States. Those are interesting.

GTS Jeff
12-31-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Big_C_racing
why would it be slow? cuz 240s arent exactly fast in stock form...with the drivetrain losses of awd plus the significant weight addition = slower.

EK 2.0
12-31-2003, 05:34 PM
Not to mention the handling woes....Just buy and AWD dsm man...or a Scooby...and boost that...

Keekee
12-31-2003, 09:07 PM
I think it can be done in a 200sx because if I'm not mistaken they come 4wd in japan but they are transversely mounted. and as to Jeffs comment it would be slower compared to a 2wd because it takes more power to turn all 4 wheels.

sandman
12-31-2003, 11:04 PM
there is an awd version of the SR20DET, which is a decently fast platform and can b tuned easily
its the SR20DET GTiR, from JDM pulsars i think

EK 2.0
01-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Keekee
I think it can be done in a 200sx because if I'm not mistaken they come 4wd in japan but they are transversely mounted. and as to Jeffs comment it would be slower compared to a 2wd because it takes more power to turn all 4 wheels.

True, but once you start modding and making more power out of that engine the AWD will really help you put teh juice onto the road...a great example is AWD DSM's vs FWD DSM's...yes in the top end the FWD "decimates all"...But NOTHING, IMO can beat a good, hard, fast, AWD launch...The 200sx was a read drive proposition was it not??...But the Sentra SE-R's were FWD and you can yes get the Pulsar GTI-R SR20 as it sits transverse...

Originally posted by sandman
there is an awd version of the SR20DET, which is a decently fast platform and can b tuned easily
its the SR20DET GTiR, from JDM pulsars i think

Yes, but swapping that mill into a RWD 240 can be done, you would have to change routing of Intakes and exhausts and what not...So all in all...keep the 240 RWD for drifitng, if you want an AWD SR20...swap it into a Nissan Truck...

Just my 2 cents y'all...

AutodreamMarvin
01-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Keekee

that's exactly what jeff said. :dunno:

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
with the drivetrain losses of awd plus the significant weight addition = slower.

Originally posted by Cyclone AWD
True, but once you start modding and making more power out of that engine the AWD will really help you put teh juice onto the road...a great example is AWD DSM's vs FWD DSM's...yes in the top end the FWD "decimates all"...But NOTHING, IMO can beat a good, hard, fast, AWD launch...The 200sx was a read drive proposition was it not??...But the Sentra SE-R's were FWD and you can yes get the Pulsar GTI-R SR20 as it sits transverse...

i believe it is the fwd 200sx(b14?) that is being referred to. but that never came in awd. it was only the pulsar gtiR and the bluebird that were awd with the sr20.

too true, stupid fwd piece of shit dsm, only thing it's good for is burnouts and wheelhop. but you do run into a wall after a certain point. the complexity and accompanying unreliability(broken parts) not to mention the weight and drivetrain losses will more than overcome the launching benefits that it provides. A properly set up rwd will beat an equal awd while also providing greater reliability.(equal as in setups, and not weight. the awd drivetrain will always weigh more)

method
01-03-2004, 04:16 PM
sure they use the same engine, but they dont operate on the same platform. trucks use two rail frames because it gives them so much more room. you'd have a gigantic bulge in the middle of the 240sx to accomodate the transfer case, and the driveshafts. on top of that, they use solid front and rears, not independant suspension. you'd have to convert both suspension setups for solid axle, which would require moving the engine up in the front, or jacking the car up like a foot.. heh.

better off with a GTI-R pulsar. bluetop and awd. woo.