PDA

View Full Version : Prep. Training for Muay Thai

davidI
10-21-2010, 07:52 AM
I think I'm going to head to Thailand in Jan/Feb for a month of Muay Thai training. I've never trained Muay Thai or any form of MMA before.

I'm in pretty good shape right now but have always been more of a strength / BB style lifter. I'm ~175 pounds @ <10% bf right now.

I currently run 2-3x a week for 5-12kms per time and lift 3-5x a week.

I'm thinking I should work more on core strength, flexibility and do some plyometrics. Anyone have good routines or recommendations?

I'm thinking about doing more Skipping, Box Jumps, Vertical Leaps, Explosive Push-Ups, and quick explosive movements with light weights.

Any other suggestions for training for Muay Thai?

phreezee
10-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Kick bamboo trees until you can chop them down with your shins?:rofl:

lint
10-21-2010, 09:09 AM
more t-nation goodness http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/11_myths_of_warrior_training

JMaj7
10-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Yoga to open up tight muscles
Tape up your knucks and shins and do bag drills
Train and strengthen your neck
Lots of core work

kolumbo69
10-21-2010, 09:15 AM
I would join a local gym muay thai like mike myles and start training, I would do there basic class plus a cardio class. That might get you in the general shape you want to be for doing a thailand training camp. Plus you will get some general technique and most of the trainers there have done thailand training sessions.

adidas
10-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Id highly recommend HIIT, watching fights is one thing, being in it is totally something else. The physicality of it takes a lot out of u, and if u aint in shape than no point in going.

Check youtube for plyometrics training, im sure there is a couple of videos at least.

nj2Type-S
10-21-2010, 12:33 PM
you've still got a few months before you leave so just check out some gyms locally. i'm hoping on going to holland to train at golden glory but thailand would be probably be a cheaper alternative.

davidI
10-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the posts guys. I'm actually in Yemen right now so have to work within the confines of what I have which is basically a place to run and a good weight training facility.

Did some more research, read that T-Nation Article, and have come up with my own program.
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

Monday
Speed Day

6k Run (1 Minute Sprint, 3 Minute walk)

Yoga/Stretching

Tuesday
Leg Plyometrics

Skip 3 Minutes

Superset
Box Jumps or Depth Jumps (5 Fast Reps)
Rest
Box March (10 Fast Reps)
Rest
Repeat 5x

Lateral Jumps (8-12" Box)
10 Fast Reps, 3 Sets

Burpees
25x3

Yoga/Stretching

Wednesday
Skip/Stretch

Skip 3 Minutes
1 Minute Rest
Repeat 3x

Yoga/Stretching

Thursday
Core Plyometrics

Skip 3 Minutes

Superset:
Chops w/ MB
One-Arm Press (T-Bar)
10x3

DB Side Bends
10x3

Broomstick Twist
10x3

Decline Oblique Crunches
10x3

Side Plank
1 Minute Each Side

Yoga & Stretching

Friday
Endurance

12k Run

Yoga & Stretching

Saturday
Chest & Shoulders

Skip 3 Minutes

Superset
BB Floor Press - Legs Straight
Depth Press-Ups or MB Shuffle
1 Warm-Up, 3 Sets

Superset
Tricep Dips
Single Arm DB Clean & Press (~35#s)
3 Sets

Shoulder Press
10x3

Yoga & Stretching

Sunday
Back & Biceps

Skip 3 Minutes

Deadlifts
1 Warm-Up, 3 Sets

Power Shrugs
1 Warm-Up, 3 Sets

One-Arm DB Row
1 Warm-Up, 3 Sets

Curl Exercise
3 Sets

Single-Arm Farmer's Walk (30-70 Seconds)
Failure

Yoga & Stretching

nj2Type-S
10-21-2010, 11:55 PM
it looks like you're pretty fit from your previous post. goodluck and have fun learning muay thai!

1-Bar
10-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Start training those virgin shins!! Technique and reps over power when you first start training IMO.....Good luck :thumbsup:

davidI
10-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
Start training those virgin shins!! Technique and reps over power when you first start training IMO.....Good luck :thumbsup:

Haha, I wish I had a bag or something here to kick.

Right now my focus is just to get my cardio, strength and flexibility up and maybe drop some of my "bodybuilding" weight.

Once I'm in Thailand I'll work on my technique as I'm a total n00bie when it comes to MT. If I catch on quickly I may look for them to set-up a handicap fight at the end of my month, if not it will just be good experience, training and fitness.

mac_82
10-23-2010, 03:08 PM
What gym in Thailand are you going to train at?

I did the same thing in 2004, and had an awesome time.

davidI
10-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Just Island Muay Thai. Originally I wanted to spend the month on Koh Tao working on my PADI Master Diver, but don't have enough time so I figure I'll spend 3-4 weeks training Muay Thai / Yoga and try to fit in a few dives on off days. I honestly just loved Koh Tao the last time I was there thus the choice. I'm sure there are better gyms but as a n00bie I'm not too worried at this point.

http://thaiboxingkohtao.com/

nj2Type-S
10-24-2010, 12:08 PM
por pramuk gym!

mac_82
10-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by davidI
Just Island Muay Thai. Originally I wanted to spend the month on Koh Tao working on my PADI Master Diver, but don't have enough time so I figure I'll spend 3-4 weeks training Muay Thai / Yoga and try to fit in a few dives on off days. I honestly just loved Koh Tao the last time I was there thus the choice. I'm sure there are better gyms but as a n00bie I'm not too worried at this point.

http://thaiboxingkohtao.com/

Most gyms have a real mix of people. Some people just walk off the street and want to try it out, some people are near the best in the world at muay thai. But they will make sure you aren't paired up with anyone outside of your skill level.

I stayed at WMC Koh Samui for a month and loved it. I am actually looking into gyms now, as I am hoping to be over in Thailand in the spring. Koh Tao or Phuket are at the top of my list, since I want to get my basic PADI done as well. Good luck with your trip :thumbsup:

ornamental
10-28-2010, 10:28 PM
try warming up with a 3 km run and 15 mins of skipping.
few rounds of shadow boxing.
3-5 rounds 5 mins each of hitting a bag or pads

do this morning and again in the afternoon everyday and you should be fine shape to learn. TWICE DAILY!

remember to condition your feet to do all this on rough concrete too lol or your feet will hate you