PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood Flooring

Street_Soldier
10-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Looking to get some hardwood flooring done.

Anywhere from 800 to 1600 sqrt ft.

What price range am I looking for pay per square foot?

I should clarify, for product and install.

Thanks

benz_890
10-21-2010, 09:29 AM
I believe it costed us around $6 sq/ft for product and install (oak)

Bisklimpkit
10-21-2010, 09:46 AM
What type of wood do have in mind? Pre-finished or raw, to be sanded and finished post-install?

I went with a pre-finished, hand-scraped maple, 5.25" wide planks, stained espresso. Product alone was $7/sq ft. Prior to that, I had prefinished birch in 2.25" wide, also stained espresso, but I got it for $2/sq ft (replaced it with the maple on an insurance claim). It was 675 sq ft of hardwood, and the total bill was $15,000 to rip out all of the existing hardwood and replace it.

If you're looking at an exotic wood, say something like Brazilian walnut, you can run well over $10/sq ft just for the material.

Stunt66
10-21-2010, 10:02 AM
$6.00 a sq/ft installed is most likely chinese made hardwood. Pre finsihed is the only way to go nowadays.

You need to be a little more specific OP, species of wood, width, grade, budget? You got 2 main types of hardwood in Calgary: chinese made and canadian made. Chinese wood can be bought anywhere from $3-$6sq/ft and even cheaper at an auction where as canadian made in a decent grade starts at about $5 and up. The quality difference between the 2 can be huge and it's just like anything else in the world" you get what you pay for" and it's not an easy fix if your floor looks like crap after it's installed. Chinese wood is known to shrink and split in calgary because were so dry, it doesn't happen 100% of the time but it's definately a problem here. Another problem with this stuff is the milling, when you try to install the floor you get gaps all over because each piece is a little off in size(not a big deal though unless you're picky). There's also NO WARRANTY on 90% of the chinese wood, the box will say 25 year warranty but thats a bogus warranty from a company that's overseas. Calgary's going to be a shady place for a couple years reno wise so you have to do your research and not just rely on the sales guys advice. Go into a bunch of stores and see for yourself, most family owned stores that have been in business over 5 years won't have any chinese wood because it's too risky. If chinese wood was problem free thats all you'd find here.

benz_890
10-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Stunt66
$6.00 a sq/ft installed is most likely chinese made hardwood. Pre finsihed is the only way to go nowadays.

You need to be a little more specific OP, species of wood, width, grade, budget? You got 2 main types of hardwood in Calgary: chinese made and canadian made. Chinese wood can be bought anywhere from $3-$6sq/ft and even cheaper at an auction where as canadian made in a decent grade starts at about $5 and up. The quality difference between the 2 can be huge and it's just like anything else in the world" you get what you pay for" and it's not an easy fix if your floor looks like crap after it's installed. Chinese wood is known to shrink and split in calgary because were so dry, it doesn't happen 100% of the time but it's definately a problem here. Another problem with this stuff is the milling, when you try to install the floor you get gaps all over because each piece is a little off in size(not a big deal though unless you're picky). There's also NO WARRANTY on 90% of the chinese wood, the box will say 25 year warranty but thats a bogus warranty from a company that's overseas. Calgary's going to be a shady place for a couple years reno wise so you have to do your research and not just rely on the sales guys advice. Go into a bunch of stores and see for yourself, most family owned stores that have been in business over 5 years won't have any chinese wood because it's too risky. If chinese wood was problem free thats all you'd find here.

The box says made in canada with a lifetime waranty. We picked up at the auction for ~$3 sq/ft, and paid a guy 3 sq/ft to install. Maybe it is maybe in China.

Stunt66
10-21-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm 99.99% sure that lifetime warranty is void because it was bought at an auction and not through an authorized dealer. If you buy mill direct from china you can pay a little extra to name the product, it costs about 9 cents a carton to write whatever you want, you can even write down waterproof for all they care.

Street_Soldier
10-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know where the best place to buy hardwood is?

What do people think of the home depot and cost co brands?

any one have any experience with them?

C_Dave45
10-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by benz_890

The box says made in canada with a lifetime waranty. We picked up at the auction for ~$3 sq/ft, and paid a guy 3 sq/ft to install. Maybe it is maybe in China.

Wow, you got install for $3/ft?!? Guys get $4.50 just as sub-contractors from the flooring companies. Most HW install runs the consumer about $5 a foot and up. Material is in the $6-7 range. If you're a handyman, HW is a good DIY project...but it takes a long time and you need to rent a good gun and compressor at about $80/day for both.

rusich
10-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Wow, you got install for $3/ft?!? Guys get $4.50 just as sub-contractors from the flooring companies. Most HW install runs the consumer about $5 a foot and up. Material is in the $6-7 range. If you're a handyman, HW is a good DIY project...but it takes a long time and you need to rent a good gun and compressor at about $80/day for both.

Depends on the install. Simple straight lay for $3 is good money for the installer. 45 degrees and other fancy stuff will be more.
To : Street_Soldier
Home Depot sometimes has unbeatable prices on Canadian material (have to shop around)
I send a lot of my clients to Timber Town, where they have a wide range of materials from cheap $2 "firewood grade" to some very good quality Canadian made hardwoods.