PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone ringer volume.

Seth1968
10-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Before proceeding...No, I don't have a hearing problem.

Anyway, I own a local business and receive many calls while driving. I always pull over to take the call, that is if I'm able to even HEAR the call. Despite the radio at only a moderate level, and the ringer set to high on the loudest ring tone I could choose.

I'm with Telus and on my third phone in the last five years. The first phone's ringer was loud enough to be heard from your pocket in a "mobile" environment.

BTW- Fuck the cellular companies.

Put it this way, I'm totally renovating my house and am capable of doing all the renos including plumbing and electrical. My main profession is computer repair, BUT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND MY TELUS MOBILITY BILL!. Every Time I get my bill, there some weird ass charges with no actual meaning...and every time I call, the agent (lol) doesn't know either and suggests i should be on a different plan. WTF?

Mitsu3000gt
10-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Often the ringtones themselves can have a huge variation in volume, even if the phone is set to MAX. I've always been able to find some that are extremely loud.

As for Telus, I don't know a single person who is happy with their services, cellular or otherwise. As soon as their contracts are up they are switching companies.

bituerbo
10-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
As for Telus, I don't know a single person who is happy with their services, cellular or otherwise. As soon as their contracts are up they are switching companies.

This.

FraserB
10-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm probably the only person happy with their contract lol. I pay $60 per month and get 200 anytime minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 5 and ending at 7, unlimited text, voicemail, call ID, call waiting, 500mg data.

Seth1968
10-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Often the ringtones themselves can have a huge variation in volume, even if the phone is set to MAX. I've always been able to find some that are extremely loud.

Agreed, provided that you test it out while the phone is in in your face.

Problem is, the service is MOBILE. That is, the phone is either in your pocket , and/or an often noisy enviroment.

gqmw
10-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
I'm probably the only person happy with their contract lol. I pay $60 per month and get 200 anytime minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends starting at 5 and ending at 7, unlimited text, voicemail, call ID, call waiting, 500mg data.
You're happy with that? I pay 45, I get the same stuff+unlimited incoming and 500 anytime minutes instead...and I'm still not happy lol.

Bisklimpkit
10-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I keep my phone either in my pocket or on a hip holster, and have it set so that it vibrates as well as ringing. That way I feel it ringing, even if I don't hear it.

I also use a bluetooth headset when I drive. It makes a little noise in my ear when the phone is ringing, so I never miss a call.

swak
10-21-2010, 12:47 PM
I've had nothing but good experiences with telus, but switch it to vibrate (I never have it on anything but). Never have any problems..

PulsePro
10-21-2010, 01:05 PM

I get all of that but 6GB of data instaed of 500mb, 400 any time minutes, 1000 long distance minutes for $35 after credits before taxes lol

EDIT:I meant $45 not 35 lol

ClearBluewater
10-21-2010, 01:16 PM
All the phone companies are the same, you are all stupid. And if you think the cheaper companies are good, they are owned by either Bell, Telus, or Rogers.

AndyL
10-21-2010, 01:19 PM
heh... I love my new phone... 65$ Unlimited alberta wide calling, unlimited texts, unlimited interwebs :)

Wind - 25$ always talk, 5$ unlimited text, 35$ unlimited data.

Set the phone not to connect to rogers - so I'll never get additional charges. Might be an issue out of town, but for the 99% of time I'm in the city limits...

BTW There's a bluetool light on ebay - flashes when your phone rings...

bjstare
10-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by ClearBluewater
All the phone companies are the same, you are all stupid. And if you think the cheaper companies are good, they are owned by either Bell, Telus, or Rogers.

Yep, we're all stupid... yet you make statements like this^ one.:rofl:

ClearBluewater
10-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Yep, we're all stupid... yet you make statements like this^ one.:rofl:

That may have been a little over the top ahaha

Btw, wind is terrible!

AndyL
10-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Heard that a few times - but, so far - I've had no coverage issues... Only place less than 4bars has been my living room couch...

flamboyant
10-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Random useless info below (and maybe outdated too??):

Bell owns Solo
Telus owns Koodo
Rogers owns Fido
At&t owns 30-40% of Rogers
Wind = .. ??

edit: theres a list of it on wiki lol
most carriers are either owned by rogers or bell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_mobile_phone_companies

DeeK
10-21-2010, 06:25 PM

That sucks...

I get the same thing
+250 more minutes
+My10

All for $45/month.

I'm with rogers... Telus can blow me.

AndyL
10-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by flamboyant
Random useless info below (and maybe outdated too??):

Wind = .. ??
most carriers are either owned by rogers or bell

Wind is owned by globalive - they were the other big one besides shaw who were big bidders on the spectrum auction in '08

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_Mobile

chkolny541
10-21-2010, 07:30 PM
wind blows, their home zone has terrible coverage in the south, my area isnt even included in their home zone so i would always be getting crazy fees

and wow this thread has been derailed, what kind of phone do you have OP? it most likely has to do with the phones speaker, so basically theres nothing you can do short of getting a new phone.

similar scenario for me, my old 2g iphone was quite as hell, iphone 4 the max volume on this is almost uncomfortably loud, easily 4 or 5 times as loud

Ihatetowait
10-21-2010, 07:47 PM

Only 500 milligrams of data?

Shit, I get 6 kilos.

CUG
10-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Yep, we're all stupid... yet you make statements like this^ one.:rofl: LOL I can respect the guy speaking his mind hahhaha :rofl:

Seth1968
10-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Most of the ring tones are geeky music. I'm talking about ringtones that would get your ass kicked.

I'll use the vibrate option when I'm driving and shove the phone under my nuts:)