PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Oil

Sky
12-31-2003, 07:32 PM
I see there is the 15w-50 Mobil 1 synthetic oil available. Is it better in terms of performance in the summer? or should I just use 5w30 Syn for the whole year?

My Accord never used synthetic oil before, it has about 191XXXkms right now and does not burn oil. I shouldn't have a problem switching to synthetics right?

I know once you start using synthetics you keep using it.

thx

FiveFreshFish
12-31-2003, 07:53 PM
Use the grade recommended by the manufacturer. Synthetic oil is more expensive but it can give you slightly better fuel economy. Synthetic also flows better in the cold so it's easier to start when it's really cold out. Go for the switch.

Zero102
01-01-2004, 02:43 AM
Hmm 94 accord, seems to me it's a couple years too old to require 5-30 all year.
In my car I run 15-50 in the summer, and 5-30 in the winter, seems to be a good combination, but it's a high-performance engine.
In an accord, I would say you should keep your 10-30 in the summer, but 5-30 winter-time.

No matter what other people say, you should not have problems switching to a synthetic.
All of the rumors about it eating seals and all sorts of stuff are just myths.
If your engine starts leaking oil once you put synthetic in, it was time anyways, it's simply because you changed your oil, and now you have fresh clean oil in there.

Here is a little info about synthetic oil.
Engine wear is reduced by 90%
Fuel economy (on average) increases 2-5% (Later on int he oil change cycle, when new oil there is virtually no difference)
Oil Change Interval is extended, from 5000km to 10,000-20,000km.

Synthetic may cost you more at the shelf, but think about it.
You put it in, run it 10,000km, change the filter (and 1L of oil) and can run it another 10,000km.
Oil analysis done on Mobil 1 10W-30 after 20,000km in a 93 ford taurus, 180,000km, with a filter change 10,000km into the change interval, revealed that the oil drained was at LEAST on par with conventional oil, straight out of the bottle.
Now, it does not LOOK as good as new oil, but the protection it offers is at least as good.

Another fun fact, synthetic will flow at -35 (or colder if you use Mobil 1 or Amsoil), compared to conventional which can congeal at -5 or -10 (all in celcius), so when you start your car in the winter, it actually GETS oil. Very important.

So, Long story short, if you drive a car 20,000km a year, here's the cost breakdown.
I presume you change your oil yourself.
conventional:
4 changes, each consisting of $15 - oil, $10 - filter
totalling $100/year
synthetic
1 (maybe 2 if you wish) changes, consisting of $40 oil, $10 - filter
totalling
1 change: $65 (remember the filter change and 1L of oil)
2 changes: $100

So, even if you change it twice a year, you break even on cost, and your engine will thank you.

P.S.
The numbers from the ford taurus are from a friend of mine, I explained the benefits of synthetic to him, and he wanted proof, so after we changed the oil, we sent it away for analysis.

I know you did not ask for all this info, so I will make a long story short
Don't run 5W-30 all year unless the manual says so (it shouldn't on a 94 car).
Switch to synthetic and never look back.

Seanith
01-01-2004, 12:58 PM
yeah for the accord use 10w-30. Its for higher mileage engines. I can agree with the increased mileage though. I can easily get 600kms a tank now that i use synthetic, and i could get to 550km before running on fumes without synthetic.

tt398
01-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Synthetic (especially 0W-30 or 5W-30) has a big advantage in Alberta - easy starts in winter without using your block heater.
Synthetic doesn't contain long chain parrafins. These paraffins solidify during cold weather making the car hard to start.

This feature also allows synthetic oil to have a faster rise in oil flow and pressure during startup - giving better lubrication and reducing engine wear.

Just my two cents worth..:)

Zero102
01-02-2004, 02:07 AM
Exactly right about the paraffin in the oil.
The typical refining process allows some very long chain hydrocarbons to slip through.
So, they will solidify at much higher temperatures than the oil itself, some are solid at 0 degrees, stiffening up the oil.

For what it's worth, do not run a 0 weight oil, unless the manual says specifically to.
It will not protect enough when it heats up, especially on a worn engine.

Another thought about synthetics.
Some of them will actually bond to the metal, which in most engines (rotaries excluded) is a good thing, it means you have protection before you have oil flow, big plus in the winter when it is slower getting oil flow.

C4S
01-02-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Sky
I see there is the 15w-50 Mobil 1 synthetic oil available. Is it better in terms of performance in the summer? or should I just use 5w30 Syn for the whole year?

Where did you find it ?

FiveFreshFish
01-02-2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by C4S

Where did you find it ?

You can find Mobil at Walmart. I found 0W30 Castrol there for $6.67 per litre last year.

Idratherbsidewayz
01-02-2004, 02:38 AM
The 15W50 stuff is also at canadian tire...

Was considering it, but i just don't see the need in the dead of winter, maybe itll be worth it in the summer...

ricosuave
01-03-2004, 09:54 AM
if you feel daring, try an oil called 'polar plus' from ufa - its the same as the esso synthetic, under a different name. avail in 0w30 and 40. price for 5l jug? 19 and 21$ !!!!

im using it in my diesel and love it.

rico

nosegrindR
01-12-2004, 12:36 AM
walmart sells mobil1 4L oil for 21 bucks
why pay less for regular motor oil?

Seanith
01-12-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by nosegrindR
walmart sells mobil1 4L oil for 21 bucks
why pay less for regular motor oil?

$21?! Wow thats cheap! :eek:

ricosuave
01-13-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by ricosuave
if you feel daring, try an oil called 'polar plus' from ufa - its the same as the esso synthetic, under a different name. avail in 0w30 and 40. price for 5l jug? 19 and 21$ !!!!

im using it in my diesel and love it.

rico

polar plus is a full synthetic. same as esso xd-3 (i think thats the name), just different packaging.

and you get 5 litres, not 4.

rico