PDA

View Full Version : Recall on VW window clips?

drtoohotty1
10-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Hey guys my friends 03 jetta tdi's passenger window fell in the door the other day and asked if I could help her fix it, I did some research and found they did an extended warranty on the plastic clips that fail switching them with metal ones just need to know from the VW experts here if this is true and she can just bring it in or if it was just a problem in the USA (most of the forums I read through were American)

TIA

SOAB
10-21-2010, 08:55 PM
that recall was only in the US.

there is a repair kit available for the car. about $70. comes with 2 new clips and a cable assembly.

drtoohotty1
10-21-2010, 08:56 PM
how hard is the repair i used to have to do it on my 96 civic all the time, can i pick the kit up locally?

omfgcurtis
10-21-2010, 09:04 PM
You probably could get them locally, i would call concept1 or tunedub. Same thing happened to me last winter but i already had the metal clips, glass just popped off the track, it is a pretty easy fix if you are even a little mechanically inclined.

SOAB
10-21-2010, 09:12 PM
any dealer will have the kit in stock. it's a fairly common problem.

rojhero
10-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I received an extended warranty letter last year on the window clips. I don't have the details with me now, but I think it was something like 7 years. Call the dealership. They will know for sure if you give them the VIN.

The Civic you had needed a new regulator so it's a different problem with a similar symptom. I had the same problem and fixed it with a new $90 regulator (OEM).

drtoohotty1
10-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by rojhero
I received an extended warranty letter last year on the window clips. I don't have the details with me now, but I think it was something like 7 years. Call the dealership. They will know for sure if you give them the VIN.

The Civic you had needed a new regulator so it's a different problem with a similar symptom. I had the same problem and fixed it with a new $90 regulator (OEM).

What year was your jetta?

rojhero
10-22-2010, 11:16 AM

djayz
10-22-2010, 12:32 PM
I just did this on a 2002 Jetta. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to get into the door itself but once you're in the replacement of cables is fairly easy. The hardest part is tensioning all the cables properly. You will definitly needs 2 sets of hands if you attempt to do this on your own.

You can buy the kit from any of the dealers we picked ours up from Fifth Ave.

Zewind
10-22-2010, 12:41 PM
This happened on my 01 VW Golf - South Center VW charged me I think. I cant remember. But when I talked to northland about it later they said it should have been done for free. So i dont know.

But it was the same issue - Plastic should have been metal.

2002civic
10-22-2010, 06:45 PM
there is an extended warranty, not a recall, for certain models for up to 7 years from original delivery date