PDA

View Full Version : New (used) car is leaking oil

punky
10-21-2010, 07:01 PM
I just got my 2007 acura TL S for a couple of months. A month after i got the car, the fuel cap warning keep coming on, so i brought it in to get it fixed, and they fixed that and they also said that there was a leaking hose somewhere that they fixed under warranty. Today the oil life is <15% so i decided to go to acura to get oil filter and some oil and i was about to do my first oil change since i got the car. After i jacked up the car, i was shocked to see some oil leaking underneath. There is still some warranty left now its currently at 92K with 100K warranty. I'm just wondering if anyone has similar experience? should i be worry? I have very little faith in the dealership lately with all the complaints going around beyond, so that doesn't really help my worries. I'll book an appointment to get it looked at and fixed tomorrow, but i'm rather worry they might do a half ass job and wait for my warranty to dry out. Here are some photos i took.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ODvL4bTpPxY/TMDebKT4Y8I/AAAAAAAACAQ/MinDvrsBuuc/s720/IMG_4873.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ODvL4bTpPxY/TMDd9m19llI/AAAAAAAAB_0/oO0lF3cl78M/s1024/IMG_4882.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ODvL4bTpPxY/TMDdjlmQJpI/AAAAAAAAB_c/kQ90E5iPpx0/s640/IMG_4900.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_ODvL4bTpPxY/TMDdxhzj44I/AAAAAAAAB_w/4361vVMzdFQ/s640/IMG_4878.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ODvL4bTpPxY/TMDd9m19llI/AAAAAAAAB_0/oO0lF3cl78M/s1024/IMG_4882.jpg

edit: should be leaking, not burning sorry

Scuderia
10-21-2010, 09:11 PM
What exactly is leaking? Looks like the oil pan gasket and drain plug. What exactly is your question? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what you're asking:confused:

You bought an 07 TL type S, a beautiful car which probably cost you 25k+, and you didn't get it fully inspected before you bought it? If it still has warranty then call the dealer, give them the vin, and set up an appointment. If they tell you they will fix it, have it fixed. If it's not covered, take it to a different shop or dealership, and get er done.

Sugarphreak
10-21-2010, 09:49 PM

dj_rice
10-21-2010, 09:55 PM
So you still have warranty and theres an oil leak.

Your car is going to blow up, you should sell now and get a bus pass.

Guillermo
10-21-2010, 10:06 PM
yes you should worry. why are you wasting time asking about an oil leak in the internet? just take your car into a shop man. :nut:

punky
10-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Scuderia
What exactly is leaking? Looks like the oil pan gasket and drain plug. What exactly is your question? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what you're asking:confused:

You bought an 07 TL type S, a beautiful car which probably cost you 25k+, and you didn't get it fully inspected before you bought it? If it still has warranty then call the dealer, give them the vin, and set up an appointment. If they tell you they will fix it, have it fixed. If it's not covered, take it to a different shop or dealership, and get er done.

you're looking at the oil drain plug on one picture and another plug which i'm not sure of which is slightly higher than the drain plug. they're both wet, so i'm thinking the higher one is leaking down towards the drain plug.

got a full inspection at a mechanic, plus car proof, and i even got someone to do a frame check. it has small accident in the record but engine is in great condition as inspected. I guess i'm just curious if this this a common thing, and how serious it is, and possibly things to keep an eye for. if it is simple as it seems, i'm happy with that.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Why would they do a half ass job? :dunno:

They do the warranty work, then the dealer gets reimbursed from Acura... there is no motive for them to do crappy work especially if your warranty is about to run out, the ideal situation for them is you keep coming back for additional work down the road which won't happen if they screw you around.

Where is the leak anyway, the crank seal?

The same reason why they sell lemon car, crappy service jobs, take your car out for a joy ride...etc.

Originally posted by dj_rice
So you still have warranty and theres an oil leak.

Your car is going to blow up, you should sell now and get a bus pass.

Originally posted by Guillermo
yes you should worry. why are you wasting time asking about an oil leak in the internet? just take your car into a shop man. :nut:

its a car forum, i didn't feel like theres any time wasted. I may learn a thing or two.

heavyD
10-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Ensure that it's not something simple like the valve cover gasket. Look around your valve cover front to back if it's dry all around the sealing surfaces.

GQBalla
10-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Why don't you just take it in since its covered under warranty??

SOAB
10-22-2010, 09:00 AM
^^ because apparently all dealerships do shoddy work and never want repeat customers...

punky
10-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Ensure that it's not something simple like the valve cover gasket. Look around your valve cover front to back if it's dry all around the sealing surfaces.

Thanks for the helpful reply! I will keep an eye out for it.

Originally posted by GQBalla
Why don't you just take it in since its covered under warranty??

As i said on my original post "I'll book an appointment to get it looked at and fixed tomorrow"

Originally posted by SOAB
^^ because apparently all dealerships do shoddy work and never want repeat customers...

see above.

punky
10-25-2010, 05:26 PM
drop it off today, and when i got it back this is the result:

"we washed off the oil and we noticed no leaks" and thats the end of it.

i was pretty pissed, but theres not much i can do until the leaks comes back.

dj_rice
10-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Pissed about what?Did you want them to find something catastrophic?

Maybe the first time they did an oil change and thats the oil that was leaking off the drain plug/oil filter and they never cleaned it off the first time?

When it comes to fixing cars, symptoms that you may experience during your drive often doesn't replicate itself on command when the mechanics are working on your car. Keep that in mind, if something leaks again, then obviously note where its leaking from and take it in to dealership again and tell them where you notice.

punky
10-25-2010, 06:19 PM
the last time they worked on the car, one of the thing they did was fixing a leaking hose, you'd think they'd clean up up the oil afterward...

dj_rice
10-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by punky
the last time they worked on the car, one of the thing they did was fixing a leaking hose, you'd think they'd clean up up the oil afterward...

You'd think so but all depends on the tech. Could of been a journeyman who got assigned on this and since it obviously doesn't pay out well he fixed your hose and kicked your car out. But hope your leak is fixed after your dealership service.

punky
10-25-2010, 06:38 PM
it still doesn't make sense what they did this time. Is it a common thing to clean off the oil first then check where the leak is? it doesnt make any sense to me, because oil is viscous and it could take days before you even see traces of oil leaking out.

Guillermo
10-25-2010, 09:06 PM
dude, stop being so dense.

punky
10-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
dude, stop being so dense.

what the hell is your problem anyway? it wasn't enough that ignored your useless comment in the first place? if you have nothing constructive to say then keep it.

Guillermo
10-25-2010, 10:16 PM
you come on a car forum asking for advice because your new (used) car is leaking oil. many people tell you to take it in and get a mechanic to look at it. you do that, the mechanic cleans it up and says they can't locate the leak. this doesn't satisfy you, so you come back on and explain the situation (again). again, it is explained to you that the mechanics may have spilled oil and not cleaned it up... and yet you're STILL in here asking for advice.

what do you want, for us to come through the internet and look at your car ourselves? you've been given the only advice that can be given via the internet from a forum. we can't see your car - only a mechanic can - so of course we are going to listen to his recommendation.

keep an eye on it. if you notice a leak, take it to another mechanic. seriously, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to deal with such a simple problem.

just sayin', dude.

punky
10-25-2010, 10:55 PM
On my last post I was mostly asking if it was a common practice to wash before tracing oil leak because it doesn't make sense to me. If it was it's a stupid question my apology.

cream
10-25-2010, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the helpful reply! I will keep an eye out for it.

As i said on my original post &quot;I'll book an appointment to get it looked at and fixed tomorrow&quot;

see above.
Why post a thread without a question, if you already have a solution to... whatever it is?
If you want sympathy:
=((((((((((((((((((((((
otherwise,
:facepalm:

Guillermo
10-26-2010, 12:14 AM
On my last post I was mostly asking if it was a common practice to wash before tracing oil leak because it doesn't make sense to me. If it was it's a stupid question my apology.

If you had an oil leak, the shop would've fixed it so they could make money... the would certainly not turn you away saying there isn't a leak. :banghead: you're actually lucky that you didn't take it to some scammer, who would charge you $1200 for cleaning up the oil spill.

seriously man, if the leak comes back in the future, take it to another shop. it's pretty much impossible to fix a leak that doesn't exist.

SOAB
10-26-2010, 08:15 AM

if an oil leak isn't obvious, then yes. we then put some U/V dye into the oil and the customer can come back if it continues to leak. this way, we'd be able to see where it's leaking from better.

punky
10-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Thank you. That makes sense.