PDA

View Full Version : CADA wants RHD import law bumped to 25 years

MGCM
10-22-2010, 06:28 PM
It just makes me sick that the CADA feels "threatened" by these RHD imports that they want the law bumped up to 25 years. If the Domestic market was doing their job then these RHD imports would not be a threat to them..........:banghead: :banghead:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/22/canadian-dealer-association-looks-to-ban-right-hand-drive-cars/

jdmXSI
10-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I Just hope they don't do it before the R34 comes out:D

Phenix
10-22-2010, 06:37 PM
ya this is stupid. just leave it the way it is. we get screwed on cars here big time, so letting the rhd's here is just something that slightly makes up for that.

MGCM
10-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
I Just hope they don't do it before the R34 comes out:D

if they ban anything RHD under 25 years old won't that mean all the RHD cars here will be useless? I would HOPE that at least anything that is already here is still allowed on street.

sr20s14zenki
10-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Theyve been talking about this for years, put up or shut up i say. I doubt it will happen. But for all you know, we could follow suite to Quebec with the RHD ban, who knows.

thats why i stick to my lhd cars...altho an r33 gtr would be nice

black13
10-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Heard this on CBC radio and sorta shocked me. Before this I thought it wasn't anything serious.

Still ridiculous though. The best reason they came up with is that they are "dirty and unsafe" and no real figures to prove it. Yea the street racing although true, young stupid drivers are stupid no matter what they drive.

Seriously all they make is family cars/$30k+ sports cars and expect everyone to be forced to buy that.

know1edge
10-22-2010, 06:51 PM
damn even the ae86 would barely make it

Redlyne_mr2
10-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Heard about this on CBC news today. A lot more serious issues in the world to worry about IMO.

Kardon
10-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Heard about this on CBC news today. A lot more serious issues in the world to worry about IMO.

Agreed, we shouldn't be wasting our time with automotive news on a site like this. :closed:

sr20s14zenki
10-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Kardon

Agreed, we shouldn't be wasting our time with automotive news on a site like this. :closed:

hes not saying we shouldnt talk about it on here, hes saying that the powers that be should have better things to worry about than if people are bringing in a 15 year old car from japan........

gpomp
10-22-2010, 07:17 PM
just put an import tax on it.

Alterac
10-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Make them legal to import any year, but illegal to drive on the roads here.. then the cops can just hand out more tickets.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-22-2010, 07:29 PM
I don't really care, my car is already here and the only other RHD I would consider in the future is an S15.

jsn
10-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Only 2 cars I'd want to buy that are right handed. R34 GTR, and a 22b STI. The 22b is pretty unrealistic, so next to the GTR, I personally wouldn't really care if they banned or bumped the law to 25 years.

If this did come into effect however, I'm sure there would be some sort of grandfather clause that would cover the RHD cars already landed. Really doubt they'd crush/export all the ones already here...

JAYMEZ
10-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Kinda useless to do now.. Alot of Junker older ones are already here... At least the nicer JDM cars are going to be imported now (That wont be complete rust buckets).

Disoblige
10-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Theyve been talking about this for years, put up or shut up i say. I doubt it will happen. But for all you know, we could follow suite to Quebec with the RHD ban, who knows.

thats why i stick to my lhd cars...altho an r33 gtr would be nice
Haha.. Very tempted on pulling the gun on one.. But I also like Drive-Thru's :rofl:

Xtrema
10-23-2010, 12:08 AM
What it's still cool to drive Japanese cars? :rofl:

IMO current law is sufficient.

Let the insurance price them out if they are actually having a higher accident rate.

Redlyne_mr2
10-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Funny how the Canadian automotive dealers Association are opposing this as if they are trying to make the roads safer for the public when all they truly care about are the used car deals that they are potentially losing out on.

Tik-Tok
10-23-2010, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Funny how the Canadian automotive dealers Association are opposing this as if they are trying to make the roads safer for the public when all they truly care about are the used car deals that they are potentially losing out on.

Well, that's pretty much how the 15 year rule started:rofl:

lellowrx7
10-23-2010, 12:28 AM
i could see them putting the cars in the exotic class, so your insurance would change to only taking them out certain times per year, and be stupidly expensive instead of a complete ban.
but that would still blow :thumbsdow

MGCM
10-23-2010, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Well, that's pretty much how the 15 year rule started:rofl:

So where is the guy who is going to tell them that they are full of shit and all they care about is "potential" used car sales they are missing out on because they fucked up, they should live up to their fuck up from the past and deal with the consequences. We need someone to tell the Canadian Government that and turn the tables on the CADA changing the 15 year rule to 5 years or even 0 years.

tsi_neal
10-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Make the import law 0 years BUT make RHD illegle. Import whatever you want BUT it has to be converted to LHD meet all north american safety standards and pass an out of province.

Vr4Whore
10-23-2010, 09:47 AM
ROFL! they finally get the balls to say it, all this time it was "they are dangerous". Produce better and competitively cheaper LHD cars and you will get less people buying RHD cars..

Edit: Wait, now the CADA claims that they are 40% more likely to be involved in an accident bahaha

Kardon
10-23-2010, 10:33 AM
I don't see why we should change the rule at all, people drive rhd's in lhd environments all over europe.

Gibson
10-23-2010, 09:00 PM
I don't see why we should change the rule at all, people drive rhd's in lhd environments all over europe.

Japan too.

I always thought the amount of cars being imported into Canada, RHD or LHD, was very indicative of how bad and/or boring newer cars are. If we actually had a bigger selection of fun to drive and well-built cars sold to us in the North American domestic market maybe so many people, myself included, would have never bought an import.

slinkie
10-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Gibson

Japan too.

I always thought the amount of cars being imported into Canada, RHD or LHD, was very indicative of how bad and/or boring newer cars are. If we actually had a bigger selection of fun to drive and well-built cars sold to us in the North American domestic market under $4000 maybe so many people, myself included, would have never bought an import.

J-hop
10-24-2010, 12:44 AM

narou
10-24-2010, 12:55 AM
My daily driver has been rhd for the past two years with very little difficulty.. I sometimes borrow someones LHD car and find that am just as cautious turning left and passing in those cars..

Most intersections dont pose a threat to me in my car because I usually end up turning on a green arrow, there are few to no cars turning opposite of me or I cant see enough of the adjacent lanes to make a turn safely.

Its bastards on the road that see a RHD vehicle and immediately try and make your driving experience more difficult forcing you to rage and drive aggressively. I often find that im getting honked at or cut off by people because I am actually driving properly, for example yielding to pedestrians or stopping at red lights and stop signs.

speedog
10-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by narou
Its bastards on the road that see a RHD vehicle and immediately try and make your driving experience more difficult forcing you to rage and drive aggressively. I often find that im getting honked at or cut off by people because I am actually driving properly, for example yielding to pedestrians or stopping at red lights and stop signs. No one, I repeat, no one can force you to 'rage and drive aggressively' - these are actions that you alone opt to do.

Vr4Whore
10-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

I would tend to agree with that claim, not necessarily because of the orientation of the steering wheel, (although you can't deny the fact you have limited vision for left turns and passing on highway), but rather for some of the types of people that buy them. Yes you can get a lot more for your money out of a RHD car, and that in itself I think spawns the problem. I knew WAY to many kids who go their license wanted to go fast for cheap so they bought an imported skyline etc and ended up crashing them due to their lack of experience and general stupidity.

I think all the boy racers importing RHD cars are the ones causing these types of laws to be brought in, not the cars themselves, maybe they should restrict RHD cars to above a certain age or something, or number of years with a license, they won't be able to cut out the stupidity of some people but at least they can hope that with more experience they will be less likely to get into an accident.

Edit; i am definitely not directing this at anyone here, but it has been a general observation of mine from spending time at local car meets and "timmys" meets on saturday nights, I found the demographic that buys RHD cars generally tends to be younger less experienced drivers who are looking to go fast for cheap, which isn't a great combination IMO

What I was getting at was that the study that stated "RHD are 40% more likely to get in to an accident than LHD cars" was conducted by ICBC and it was debunked right away by an independent study conducted by IVOAC all CADA did was copy and paste it. So what about the kids that buy mustangs, boosted 240s, local 300zx? ICBC retards and the fanboy reporters claim that the "RHD Cars" are unsafe, but you just stated yourself that the problem is the driver not the car. What would happen if all these cars would be available in LHD for similar prices(which is what's happening now) ? Nothing ! Because the money goes back into the local economy and not overseas which is the real reason that CADA is really bitchy.

The study is available at www.ivoac.ca if you want legit info about the fight for RHD cars

Tik-Tok
10-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by narou
I often find that im getting honked at or cut off by people because I am actually driving properly, for example yielding to pedestrians or stopping at red lights and stop signs.

That has nothing to do with RHD. I've never driven one in my life and get the same assholes driving around me on a regular basis.

Aleks
10-24-2010, 10:05 AM

Not all over Europe. Some countries are now starting to mandate all RHD be converted to LHD within couple of years, but these are the same places that have silly mandatory snow tires laws during winter months.

TE4MFaint
10-24-2010, 12:31 PM
This has been going on for years,
there are bigger issues out there, im sure it will be a while before anything officially happens, if at all.

Whatever, if something does happen ever (which i doubt anything will) i`ll just convert my gtfour to LHD.

J-hop
10-24-2010, 02:49 PM

narou
10-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by speedog
No one, I repeat, no one can force you to 'rage and drive aggressively' - these are actions that you alone opt to do.

Sorry for misrepresenting myself in that statement.. I am aware it is my fault. I intend to get better and correct my faults in life..

I don't usually instigate shit and what I was trying to point out is that people who like to instigate who are different then them are not any better.

EDIT:

I probably wouldn't buy another RHD vehicle in the future.. The reason being that all the attention I get from people both negative and positive is really annoying sometimes.. Its just a fucking car. I use it to got to work and school just like everyone else. I only imported it because I was having trouble finding a domestic used car worth the asking price over here. I thought I would try something new and I wasn't wrong for doing so.

I think my car is a great car and wish it was made available lhd for north America. The people who are so against the importing of old JDM cares need to realism that even if we couldn't import them we still wouldn't want to buy shitty boring domestic garbage and would probably be stuck with old beat up American cars instead.

The CADA should stop crying about this shit and start capitalizing on the business of selling these cars themselves.

msommers
10-24-2010, 10:50 PM
R34 GTR VSpec I or II (N1/M-Spec/nur) would be the only RHD I'd ever seriously consider. And even then, it would be a track slut.

Nissanaddict
10-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Lift the rules entirely. Just lift it up. Some used car dealerships decide that the correct course of action to lost sales is to whine to the government. What I like, is that I've seen a Toyota dealership selling RHD (and LHD) imported diesel land cruisers. Why? There was a market, and they can sell them, call them a certified import, and make money off it. What if you could walk into your Ford dealership and get the Euro Focus (although that won't matter soon anyways), or a Nissan dealership and import a Clio or a Megane.

They keep changing their mind. The way Europe does it? Bring it in, retrofit any lighting if necessary (rear turn signals have to be amber for example, and a rear foglamp is mandatory), and enjoy.

Now, all this comes with a bit of a limitation though. Limit the domestic market to proper countries. No Chinese cars (unless they fix their crash safety problems, and force their companies to stop ripping off other designs), or anything from Kazahkstan....all I'm saying basically is, EU or Japan.

nixrx8
10-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by tsi_neal
Make the import law 0 years BUT make RHD illegle. Import whatever you want BUT it has to be converted to LHD meet all north american safety standards and pass an out of province.

This. :thumbsup:

If it can safely meet NA standards no reason it shouldn't be here. And it'll eliminate all the junk from Japan/Europe that isn't worth / can't be converted.

n1zm0
10-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
only other RHD I would consider in the future is an S15.

the absolute only RHD i would consider bring is this, other than that idc really what goes on with the never-fken-ending potential RHD import ban/25 year rule implementation.

GQBalla
10-26-2010, 02:08 PM
s15 is what im after too :D

BigBadVlad
11-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Their main reasoning this time around is RHD are "dirty and unsafe".... well if that's the case then whouldn't the age rule be reversed? Older cars are dirtier and more unsafe right? logically newer cars are cleaner and safer corect? Then they're looking at it the wrong way, it should be 15 years and younger or even being permitted to import ten years and younger so that the "quality" of cars being imported are cleaner and safer right?!

I would laugh my ass off to the bank if upon CADA proposing the RHD import law being raised from 15 to 25 years it went the other way! :rofl:

89coupe
11-02-2010, 10:19 AM
They should have never allowed RHD cars in to Canada to begin with. They are unsafe!

94boosted
11-03-2010, 10:53 AM
I think this is actually a good idea. RHD cars in a LHD City just doesn't work. Every time you have to pass on the highway or make a left turn your putting yourself and others in more danger than is necessary. And worst of all 90% of the people that drive the RHD cars I see are 16 - 18 year old punks who really shouldn't be driving anything more powerful than a Civic let a lone something RHD and powerful. That being said I'm a big fan of the R34, 22B and Supra TT's and would love to see those cars here (more of them in the Supra's case).

jrps13
11-03-2010, 02:31 PM
if rhd cars are 40% more likely to get in an accident, wouldnt it be logic that if we banned lhd cars there would be 60% less accidents?! LOL

food for thought

Wrath
11-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
They should have never allowed RHD cars in to Canada to begin with. They are unsafe! :thumbsup:

cjay^
11-03-2010, 03:19 PM
I got my JDM Silvia when I was 17 (I'm almost 20 now) and have had 0 at fault accidents, 0 speeding tickets and I have 0 demerit points on my license in over 25000km of driving the car. I also have the highest grid rating possible for someone with my experience and pay about $95/month for liability.

Therefore RHD cars are just as safe as a LHD car (actually I've been in 3 total accidents in a LHD car, 0 in a RHD car) with a responsible driver.

EDIT:
Originally posted by 94boosted
I think this is actually a good idea. RHD cars in a LHD City just doesn't work. Every time you have to pass on the highway or make a left turn your putting yourself and others in more danger than is necessary. And worst of all 90% of the people that drive the RHD cars I see are 16 - 18 year old punks who really shouldn't be driving anything more powerful than a Civic let a lone something RHD and powerful. That being said I'm a big fan of the R34, 22B and Supra TT's and would love to see those cars here (more of them in the Supra's case).

LOL.

This guy says it doesn't work in the city, and then immediately mentions passing on the highway.

Your comment about people 16-18 not being allowed to drive anything more powerful than a Civic is retarded as well.

94_S14
11-03-2010, 03:48 PM

Have you even driven a right hand drive?

Nothing bothers me more than hearing people fill other peoples minds with missinformation and copy cat garbage. I have owned 2 S13's and currently own an S14, ive had an EG6 and DC2 before.

The only half dangerous, questionable thing i have encountered is turning left durring tight and busy intersections, thats it.

Passing on a highway is a joke of a "safety" issue because when driving and preparing to pass you should be far enough behind the person to allow for "safe" follwing distance and visual clarity that you can actually SEE from your JDM drivers side into the oncoming traffic if someone is indeed coming. Ive never had an issue with passing, and dont forsee it.

Even when at an intersection, if i find i am coming into a crouded interection which is tight, i will allow for that increased perspective to allow me to see, if not i wait for yellow and yeild across the lane and make a safe decision.

These cars are Unsafe for a demografic which cannot make pre planned moves based on road conditions, and environment. Then again, OUR roads are unsafe PERIOD with people who cannot make split second and informed decisions regardless. So left hand drive or right hand drive, if your inexperienced and a stupid driver your a danger to us all.

although i do aggree with the young driver comment, instead of a ban on importing these vehicles, why not try an advanced drivers license approach or something? The government will love the extra money scam and people who are experienced enough will be allowed to drive them.

A790
11-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by cjay^
I got my JDM Silvia when I was 17 (I'm almost 20 now) and have had 0 at fault accidents, 0 speeding tickets and I have 0 demerit points on my license in over 25000km of driving the car. I also have the highest grid rating possible for someone with my experience and pay about $95/month for liability.

Therefore RHD cars are just as safe as a LHD car (actually I've been in 3 total accidents in a LHD car, 0 in a RHD car) with a responsible driver.

EDIT:

LOL.

This guy says it doesn't work in the city, and then immediately mentions passing on the highway.

Your comment about people 16-18 not being allowed to drive anything more powerful than a Civic is retarded as well.
While I agree with you in regards to your position about right hand drive, I'd like to make the asserition that your argument doesn't make any sense and has no logical basis.

The sole fact that you haven't had any accidents in a RHD car is not nearly enough of a basis to make the claim that RHD cars are just as safe as LHD ones. There are safety risks that are inherent in the fact that the vehicle was not designed to interact with Canadian roadways, and while that may not make the RHD vehicle "unsafe", per say, it certainly makes the vehicle less safe than a vehicle designed with the Canadian roadway in mind.

RHD vehicles don't "work" in the city in that they are not designed with our infastructure in mind. Parking systems, drive throughs, etc. are all impacted negatively by a RHD vehicle. This is a consideration that the owners, as well as our administrators, need to keep in mind when deciding the legality of RHD vehicles.

cjay^
11-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by A790

While I agree with you in regards to your position about right hand drive, I'd like to make the asserition that your argument doesn't make any sense and has no logical basis.

The sole fact that you haven't had any accidents in a RHD car is not nearly enough of a basis to make the claim that RHD cars are just as safe as LHD ones. There are safety risks that are inherent in the fact that the vehicle was not designed to interact with Canadian roadways, and while that may not make the RHD vehicle "unsafe", per say, it certainly makes the vehicle less safe than a vehicle designed with the Canadian roadway in mind.

RHD vehicles don't "work" in the city in that they are not designed with our infastructure in mind. Parking systems, drive throughs, etc. are all impacted negatively by a RHD vehicle. This is a consideration that the owners, as well as our administrators, need to keep in mind when deciding the legality of RHD vehicles.

I'm not going to argue safety with you, because the bottom line is that my car is perfectly safe to drive in Calgary, and my flawless driving record is PROOF.

I go through the drive thru at BK all the time and also park at the UofC all the time (toll booth) and I don't take any longer than anyone else. Not sure why this is an issue at all in regards to considering LEGALITY hahaha.

Plus nobody really even needs to consider legality anymore anyway so I don't get why this argument is always being beat like a dead horse. The cars that are already here will not be made illegal. Period (well unless the government feels like buying tens of thousands of cars to crush).

TE4MFaint
11-03-2010, 09:27 PM
This thread is boring.
I cant believe people are still arguing about this crap.

:closed:

thepyrofish
11-04-2010, 08:30 AM

I'm not going to argue safety with you, because the bottom line is that my car is perfectly safe to drive in Calgary, and my flawless driving record is PROOF.

Your flawless driving record is anecdotal evidence at best, hardly proof of anything.

Ca_Silvia13
11-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Same dumb argument and i'll have the same dumb answer. If RHD is such a problem why has Canada Post built RHD mail trucks and allow their posty's to use them for over 20 years? If RHD is good enough/safe enough for a government funded company then why not joe blow off the street?

/agruement

Cos
11-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by jrps13
if rhd cars are 40% more likely to get in an accident, wouldnt it be logic that if we banned lhd cars there would be 60% less accidents?! LOL

food for thought

How many RHD cars are there compared to LHD cars. They didnt say per capita, they said period.

That is like saying you are more likely to die from a car accident than being run over by a steam train while laying on the tracks. Still doesnt mean I am going to sit on the CPR tracks.

94boosted
11-06-2010, 12:43 PM

LOL.

Maybe I should rephrase, RHD cars don't work on a LHD Road Network.

And the comment actually isn't "retarded" it's true. When a guy first gets his license he learns how to go WOT long before he learns proper car control and the ability to think ahead on the road. Therefore if he is driving a powerful car he is more likely to get into an accident. And it doesn't matter if it's a RHD or a fast LHD however in most cases it's cheaper to pick up a fast RHD.

Originally posted by 94_S14

Have you even driven a right hand drive?

Nothing bothers me more than hearing people fill other peoples minds with missinformation and copy cat garbage. I have owned 2 S13's and currently own an S14, ive had an EG6 and DC2 before.

The only half dangerous, questionable thing i have encountered is turning left durring tight and busy intersections, thats it.

Passing on a highway is a joke of a "safety" issue because when driving and preparing to pass you should be far enough behind the person to allow for "safe" follwing distance and visual clarity that you can actually SEE from your JDM drivers side into the oncoming traffic if someone is indeed coming. Ive never had an issue with passing, and dont forsee it.

Even when at an intersection, if i find i am coming into a crouded interection which is tight, i will allow for that increased perspective to allow me to see, if not i wait for yellow and yeild across the lane and make a safe decision.

These cars are Unsafe for a demografic which cannot make pre planned moves based on road conditions, and environment. Then again, OUR roads are unsafe PERIOD with people who cannot make split second and informed decisions regardless. So left hand drive or right hand drive, if your inexperienced and a stupid driver your a danger to us all.

although i do aggree with the young driver comment, instead of a ban on importing these vehicles, why not try an advanced drivers license approach or something? The government will love the extra money scam and people who are experienced enough will be allowed to drive them.

Yes I have driven a RHD car, two of them actually (both skylines) which is why I can say first hand that it is more difficult to pass on the highway then it is in a LHD, you can argue that all you like but the simple fact is that when your ~2.5 feet further to the right you either have to be further back to see properly and/or creep further to the left that's just common sense.

As for left turns at intersections again when your ~2.5 feet further to the right it is that much harder to properly see oncoming traffic. Hell in a LHD car it can sometimes be quite difficult to see oncoming traffic let a lone in a RHD.

I'm not arguing that it can't be done because it can, an experienced driver who can think should be ok however it is that much of a greater risk in a RHD vs. LHD.

Scuderia
11-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Driving a RHD car is not hard. Anyone who thinks so either A) has never driven a RHD, or B) can't drive for shit. Pick one or both. I drove my first RHD home without experience when I was 18, so have a bunch of people I know. Learning to ride is 20x harder and more dangerous. It's funny how a USED CAR DEALER association is advocating this ban yet people are still finding a way to argue that it's not purely about the money.

cjay^
11-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Scuderia
Driving a RHD car is not hard. Anyone who thinks so either A) has never driven a RHD, or B) can't drive for shit. Pick one or both. I drove my first RHD home without experience when I was 18, so have a bunch of people I know. Learning to ride is 20x harder and more dangerous. It's funny how a USED CAR DEALER association is advocating this ban yet people are still finding a way to argue that it's not purely about the money.

BAN MOTORCYCLES UNDER 25 YEARS OLD

vr4much
11-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
They are unsafe! If you honestly think that, then I honestly think that you're a horrible driver and you shouldn't be allowed to drive.

vr4much
11-07-2010, 10:46 AM

Maybe I should rephrase, RHD cars don't work on a LHD Road Network.

And the comment actually isn't "retarded" it's true. When a guy first gets his license he learns how to go WOT long before he learns proper car control and the ability to think ahead on the road. Therefore if he is driving a powerful car he is more likely to get into an accident. And it doesn't matter if it's a RHD or a fast LHD however in most cases it's cheaper to pick up a fast RHD.

Yes I have driven a RHD car, two of them actually (both skylines) which is why I can say first hand that it is more difficult to pass on the highway then it is in a LHD, you can argue that all you like but the simple fact is that when your ~2.5 feet further to the right you either have to be further back to see properly and/or creep further to the left that's just common sense.

As for left turns at intersections again when your ~2.5 feet further to the right it is that much harder to properly see oncoming traffic. Hell in a LHD car it can sometimes be quite difficult to see oncoming traffic let a lone in a RHD.

I'm not arguing that it can't be done because it can, an experienced driver who can think should be ok however it is that much of a greater risk in a RHD vs. LHD.

so first you say that the actual cars are dangerous, then you talk about the experience of the driver ? So which one is it ? I totally agree that guns kill people... grrr fuckin guns

atgilchrist
11-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by jrps13

food for thought

I don't think you understand how stats work.

If 100 lhd cars get into ano accident, statistically speaking 140 rhd cars will be.

vr4much
11-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Scuderia

Too funny of a read that article.. Used car dealer association is concerned about the safety of the public and the environment? seriously ???

vr4much
11-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by A790

All I can say about this is over the past 3-4 years I drove over a dozen different RHD cars to and from work 5-7 days a week on a two way highway, making passes 10+ times each week. At work I drive 6 different LHD vehicles, (one 5 ton, two 3 tons, 1 two ton, and two 1 tons). I also drove 3 different RHD cars from Vancouver and Calgary so you can imagine how many passses I made on a two lane highway in the mountains.... under pressure (all 3 trips were under 8 hours). I wonder how many times people will re-start this thread and how many times we will have this argument again? People just repeat what everyone else says and don't bother to goto www.ivoac.ca and read the actual ICBC study for themselves...

BigBadVlad
11-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Better drivers is what is needed to make the roads safer. Better cars will not do it. The logic behind arguing it's RHD cars that are more unsafe is akin to arguing a newer car with 7 airbags is safer than an older one with one, therefore I don't need to wear my seatbelt. I drive a LHD car, therefore I am automatically a safer driver than the guy driving next to me in a RHD. Hmmm, I'll talk on my cell phone while I'm driving because I am safer.

There are way bigger issues to tackle to make the roads safer. This is just about business, or money in CADA dealers pockets. Anyone with a brain cannot deny that the CADA's interest in this matter does not stem from wanting to make the cars on our roads safer and cleaner. It comes down to money, they want all they can get their hands on.

I wrote a paper on auto accidents and researched the statistics when I was in a Political Science course back around 95 or so. According to Officer reports the number one common cause cited for accidents? "Driving without due care and attention."

Not Speed, not DUI, not RHD. You want to make the roads safer and have fewer accidents? You start with the top causes, not the bottom. Start with drivers not paying attention to driving and a more responsible system for young, new drivers.

Yes I drive a RHD, 2.5 years and sorry nothing to report. No accidents, no tickets, not even a parking ticket. Yet more anecdotal evidence....

94boosted
11-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by vr4much

so first you say that the actual cars are dangerous, then you talk about the experience of the driver ? So which one is it ? I totally agree that guns kill people... grrr fuckin guns

Reading and comprehension must not be your strong suit. If you re-read both of my posts and cjay's post, stop, think for a second you will understand.