PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions: Craftsman Collision

dj_patm
10-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Hey everyone,
So I got into a minor accident a week ago with a Grand Vitara, my fault, and I'm looking to get her car fixed without going through insurance.

She called me today and let me know that she got a quote for $1300 from Craftsman Collision. Its just the door molding that needs to be replaced.

What are you guys' thoughts on the quote and the shop? I don't want to send her to other shops and probably have to start paying for her time/gas if this seems like a reasonable quote and reasonable shop.

Are these guys on the low end of the price scale? high end?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Unknown303
10-23-2010, 02:53 PM
A picture of the damage always helps in us guessing about costs.

I've had recent work done at Superior Paint & Body Service. But I can't really compare the pricing. Mine was an insurance claim for a tailgate and tire carrier for about 2200 I believe. Great place though and I'm really impressed with the work.

Guillermo
10-23-2010, 03:33 PM
keep in mind that her insurance will allow here to go wherever she wants (mine has always been like that, anyways), so you're pretty much gonna have to honor that too... otherwise she's gonna just go through insurance. :dunno:

that said, body work is EXPENSIVE, especially at good shops. i had some hail damage on a car once that was quoted $17000 for repairs at Lou's... and my insurance estimated damage at $9k so they just wrote the car off and gave me a cheque for $15k.

energie88
10-23-2010, 03:46 PM
OP is not going through insurance, just wanted to put that out there:P

punky
10-23-2010, 03:56 PM
depending on the person, but you could ask them nicely, if they could go "insert name of autobody shop" to get a second estimate because you think it their current estimate is too high.
worst they could say is no, then you'll have to pay it or go through insurance.

dj_patm
10-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Thats why I'm trying to see if anyone knows about these guys. If someone comes and says that their are really expensive shop then I'll ask her *very nicely* to try another one. But If it's just a normal average place then I'll just suck it up. $1300 isn't that bad and I can't see replacing door molding being something that varies greatly from shop to shop.

I don't want to push her to go through insurance in anyway.

P.S. My car is fucked body work-wise. Need a hood, fender, bumper, headlight and windshield washer fluid reservoir. Called mazda just for part prices and it came out to $2000+
fucking headlight is $700! What should I expect to pay to replace those?

Vanner
10-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by dj_patm

P.S. My car is fucked body work-wise. Need a hood, fender, bumper, headlight and windshield washer fluid reservoir. Called mazda just for part prices and it came out to $2000+
fucking headlight is $700! What should I expect to pay to replace those?

Well... the price quote for headlights like this one you said above - are quite normal when it come to replace damaged headlight for a brand-new one direct from factory. Yes... that's the way the business runs LOL!

In my work - I get these headlights like that and whenever I see that prices on my work order, I just whistle at the crazy prices and laughed. Headlights on brand-new car models are unique - like one of a kind ... so herce why the crazy prices! These car factories knew that and are laughing at us while we get our cars repaired after collisions. It's not their problem, but our insurance's problem and our problem in that situation.

Even brand-new body panels aren't immured against THAT prices. It's the same thing... why, I just had replaced a whole bed side panel for a new panel. Retailed at $785 as it is, and that model is a 2009 Colorado LT truck.

I believe and remember the Benz headlights (from factory) goes above $1000 minimum ... not cheap!

Tomaz
10-25-2010, 01:50 PM
$1300 doesn't seem too bad really. I wouldn't waist your time or hers to get the job done.

If you have the skills and time, have you thought of getting new parts for your mazda? Maybe aftermarket? There are some great deals in the states for bumpers/bodykits, aftermarket projectors, hoods, wheels, everything. Worth a look.

Every fuck-up I looks at as an opportunity to get some cool new parts for my car! :thumbsup:

Good luck!

dj_patm
10-25-2010, 08:16 PM
I wish. I drive a speed 6 so there's pretty much zero options for aftermarket exterior parts. I am going to put in clear side markers rather then amber though.

Tomaz
10-25-2010, 08:51 PM
try out the mazda 6 forums. There is a fuck-ton. You just gotta look ;)