PDA

View Full Version : another "I don't know what to do with my life" thread

dandia89
10-23-2010, 06:36 PM
I know these are pretty common threads but I've been thinking about this for awhile. I'm a third year mechanical engineering student at u of c and I'm at the point where I just don't get why I'm doing it. It really hit me when my career advisor asked me why I was in engineering and I had no answer. I thought I enjoyed the concept of engineering but at this point I hate every class. My main question is how did most of you find your passion and how do you really know that it's what you wanna do for the rest of your life? I'm completely lost and I couldn't imagine finding anything

nobb
10-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Go on internship for a year. It'll expose you to industry and let you test drive a particular company. It's better to commit to a company for a year during internship then realize it's not suited for you rather than committing as a new grad and possibly be stuck with that position for years.

banned3x
10-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Try going to a thrid world country like peru and ecuador for about 4-6 wks. It'll give you time to think and meet local folks have some quiet time for your self. Think about what you really love. Thats alot of school maybe you need a vaction. Try Vegas for a week. You don't need that much money.

Are you in your late 20's or 30's?

revelations
10-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Youre going through a common phase, many people ask themselves "why" in school.

You will never know what your "passion" is if you sit at home and work at dead end jobs, at least by finishing school you can go work in diverse positions - I wouldnt quit after the 3rd year of mech unless youve bombed all your course and are waisting time and money.

How motivated are you in order to succeed in terms of being happy in a career? Sometimes it takes years of trial and error and putting up with shitty classes and shitty jobs until you like what you have. Most people dont hit a home run from post secondary in terms of finding a suitable role.

Weapon_R
10-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Too far into it now to quit. Finish and get a year or two of real work experience and then decide if you want to try something else.

dandia89
10-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Im 21 and I think that's the problem. I went straight into uni after highschool and never really went on vacation at my time in school. I just got into the internship program but I'm still thinking of what types of jobs to apply for

edit: my grades are decent in school, because i've always thought this hard work will pay off but at this point i may be burnt out or i just don't get why im busting my ass off for a job i may not even want. i'll work hard for something i know it's worth it but i can not see myself coming back to school after i finish this degree. i just hope i don't fuck it up these last years

ExtraSlow
10-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Internship changed my life. I was in the exact same situation as you, hating all my classes, not seeing any future for myself. 16 months in the oil industry showed me the practical applications of the work I'd been doing, and opened my eyes to the types of careers that exist out there.

When I went back to school, I was really excited to graduate and get started on my career.

kaput
10-23-2010, 07:44 PM

sabad66
10-23-2010, 08:32 PM
I'd suggest you just tough it out. Even if you don't want to be a mechanical engineer, your degree will open so many doors. One thing I learned is that typically it doesn't matter which type of degree you have, as long as you have one you can pretty much do what you want as long as you are motivated (obvious exceptions to this).

Like others have said, try to land an internship if possible. I did it and it was the best decision of my life. It really brings meaning to what you learn in school. Sure you won't use everything, but it's cool to see things applied to real life problems.

Rui M
10-24-2010, 08:20 PM
If money isn't an issue then find what makes you happy but if your paying tuition with your own $$ i say if you change it up now you will regret it later. Suck it up, finish, get to work.

Again if your fortunate to have wealthy enough parents to pay for life then ride it for as long as you can.

davidI
10-24-2010, 09:07 PM
I'd definitelly recommend you finish your degree - at least you'll have it in your back pocket.

If you must, take some time off to travel. A few months overseas is great experience and if you travel around alone, it's a great time for self-reflection.

Abeo
10-24-2010, 09:51 PM
Third year really starts focusing on the engineering side, as first and second year lay a nice foundation. I had some points where I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue, but then I considered the alternate and focused on finishing. I'm very happy I did.

The thing about an education is that it stays with you. You can also use it as a springboard to get you to areas you may be more interested in (lawyer, biomech doctor, industrial sales, etc). Also, just finishing a engineering degree is an accomplishment in many people's eyes.

CHICHARITZHI
10-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by dandia89
I know these are pretty common threads but I've been thinking about this for awhile. I'm a third year mechanical engineering student at u of c and I'm at the point where I just don't get why I'm doing it. It really hit me when my career advisor asked me why I was in engineering and I had no answer. I thought I enjoyed the concept of engineering but at this point I hate every class. My main question is how did most of you find your passion and how do you really know that it's what you wanna do for the rest of your life? I'm completely lost and I couldn't imagine finding anything

Aero technician is fit for u .

freshprince1
10-26-2010, 11:08 AM
3rd year is about right for having thoughts like this. The glamour of Univeristy has worn off a bit, you're in the throes of the hardest part...and another year and a half seems like an eternity. All I can say is keep at it and finish it. Especially Engineering.

If you're this far through an extremely well-respected degree and have the capacity to finish...then man up and finish, because then you'll always have that technical degree to fall back on.

I have a B.A. in Poli. Sci. and decided that Law wasn't right for me. I enjoy business and have begun a career in corporate sales in a technical industry. Most of my collegues are engineers and most of my clients are engineers. The nature of the beast here in Alberta is that we are a technical market and an engineering degree will do a lot for you.

Some of the guys who make the most money in my industry are engineers-turned-sales guys, using their technical knowledge to sell to technical clients.

My Dad is an engineer and he hasn't doen any real engineering for 15 years. He started off in the trenches and was promoted to management, then executive management. Engineering opens all sorts of doors for you.

You have the chance to get a rock solid foundation. get the dergee and then decide what you wnt to do. if you want to sell milkshakes, great, you can still do that. If you want to rehabilitate orphaned groundhogs in Saskatchewan, great, you can still do that. And, if you decide you want to make a go of an technical career in engineering, you can still to that.

Equip yourself in a way that allows you the most movement in the professional world. In this day in age, anyone would hire an engineer.

$0.02.

lint
10-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Tony Hsieh, Zappos CEO - Delivering Happiness
jJ5k_Byd9Fs

Steve Jobs - Stanford Commencement Speech
UF8uR6Z6KLc

gretz
10-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Im 21 and I think that's the problem. I went straight into uni after highschool and never really went on vacation at my time in school. I just got into the internship program but I'm still thinking of what types of jobs to apply for

edit: my grades are decent in school, because i've always thought this hard work will pay off but at this point i may be burnt out or i just don't get why im busting my ass off for a job i may not even want. i'll work hard for something i know it's worth it but i can not see myself coming back to school after i finish this degree. i just hope i don't fuck it up these last years

Went through the same thing lol... Out of highschool, right into mechanical engineering... Couldn't even legally drink until 3rd year lol

Vacation while in school? Not a great idea lol - I know you need to relax / think you should get some time away, but it would have negative effects / will set you back.

This question helped me find my way, "If you were to name one Career (job) that you would enjoy doing for the rest of your life, what would it be?" Too heavy of a question? Make a list of your hobbies, interests, strengths, and weaknesses... Looking at that, you can see where / what you might "want" to start gearing towards...

Tough it out and graduate... the more you know, the more you are (whether you like it or not ironically lol)

arian_ma
10-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey man, as a recent grad of Mechanical Engineering, feeling the same things you are describing (trust me, the feeling only gets worse after you graduate), I say first and MOST important is that you stick with it for another year and graduate. If for NO other reason at all, do it just so you have a backup plan in case your ambitions fail. Nothing worse than a double fail.

Second, I would suggest you take a year off after school (eff internship IMO, it's just going to prolong your anxiety) and do WHATEVER the hell you want. Just do it, do not worry about the consequences and don't worry about falling behind in life. One or two years this way and that way won't change anything. Just make sure you are not wasting your time, do something that is productive and you feel you will want to get into. After that, decide which path is the one for you. Regardless of how everything goes, you always have the engineering degree safety net in the back of your mind.

Ergo-Sun-Tzu
10-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Don't quit finish what you've started. Think of getting your degree in "Mechanical Engineering" as a stepping stone in life. You've worked hard to get this far.

leftwing
10-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Dandia, I am in the exact same position as you. Im 3rd year business student. Have lost all motivation to finish. Up until now I have been excited to finish so i can start my career, but now I dont, I have not motivation and more, and like many of the other posters suggested the luster of university has worn off, and its just not exciting.

I think part of my loss of motivation is that I have no clue what I want to do with my life. So what I have done is ive booked a meeting with the a career advisor, I havent talked to her yet, but im gonna see what she thinks, im sure she sees this all the time. Maybe i she can give me some career ideas or somthing to shoot for but Im hoping that it helps.

kaput
10-26-2010, 06:13 PM

dandia89
10-26-2010, 06:44 PM
i definitely appreciate all the replies, especially since i thought i was alone in this. most of my friends in engg are completely stoked on everything we do in class, which made me more concerned but maybe i'm just friends with the keeners.

Abeo
10-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Just like to point out, I know more than a few people who started a degree, then left, then came back to try something else... but none of them ever completed a degree. It is a lot easier to finish a degree at your age, you really have to try harder if you come back later.

Also, I think of 5 people who graduated with me and strayed away from engineering within 3 years... a couple were gung-ho about engineering too.

revelations
10-26-2010, 09:36 PM
One more thing, and this isnt an invitation to slack off but once you graduate your marks probably dont mean a whole lot (unless your industry is highly competitive).

I had a 10 course semester during second year and that really killed all motivation I had.... so I just focused on the courses that really mattered to me after graduation - for eg. our instructors who actually WORK in the industry emphasized focusing on strong SOFTWARE proficiency - instead of memorizing formulas for Physics.

Dumbass17
10-27-2010, 06:40 AM
so glad i'm seeing others with the same problem about figuring life out :poosie:

i'm 26 now, graded Sait in 07 with a diploma in civil engineering technology, worked 2 years, quit, worked another year doing something related, quit, travelled the last 7 months and now i'm getting into the 'what do i want to do for a career' mode.

it's tough man, good luck figuring it out, let me know when you do and what your secret to figuring it out actually was hahaa

Kobe
10-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Read a book called "Rich Dad, Poor Dad"

very good and easy read, and go from there