PDA

View Full Version : small car, big back seat?

ExtraSlow
10-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Currently the main family car is a mazda3. We like it, but with a kid in a rear facing car seat, we are having to have the front seat push just a little too far forward for our liking.
I've been combing through the stats, and it seems that even larger cars don't gain much in rear seat room.
The expedition has loads of space, but that's a bit large for daily commuting duty.

Anyone have thoughts on a smaller car, preferably a wagon, that has above average rear seat room?

Shlade
10-23-2010, 08:02 PM
heh... you didnt say wether you want a new or older car..

But my 94 civic sure as fuck has a LOT of space in the back.. for a small hatchback the inside of the car is pretty big..

AndyL
10-23-2010, 08:09 PM
as much as i like to disavow all knowledge... the toyota echo's were ridiculously roomy...

ExtraSlow
10-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Oh yeah, has to be newer than 2003 at least. Can be brand new. I'm pretty flexible on pricing.
Prefer something similar to Mazda3 if possible.

The only thing I've found is the Subaru Forester, 2008 and newer. Has 2 inches more rear leg room, and 1 inch more front leg room, so that's decent.

EDIT, Also, anyone know where I could look up legroom specs on cars?
Edmunds has something for brand new cars, but it doesn't go back more than one or two years.

kaput
10-23-2010, 08:21 PM

ddduke
10-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Honda Fit?

Brother has a fit and Ive noticed it's really roomy. Also the newer g35's have a ton of room in the back seat.

smithers
10-23-2010, 08:49 PM
im selling my wifes 2008 toyota yaris

Aleks
10-23-2010, 08:54 PM
How tall are you? I am 6'1" and I know what you mean about baby seats. My 08 GTI was too small in the back, so was the 2010 WRX.

We bought a 2009 Forester (first year of the new body style) and there is plenty of room back there for it. Unfortunatelly you won't find any cars in Mazda 3s class that will have enough room if you're taller without having to move the front seat up. Honda Fit and G35 suggestions are invalid because those cars have less room in the back than your Mazda 3.

The best thing to do is take the seat with you when you check out the cars. I think your only options are CUVs like the Forester or Rav4. Bigger cars like the new Accord might work too as that's quite roomy in the back.

You can look at the interior dimensions on this site under interior tab. Legroom and Width in the back are important.

http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?n=3&v=t109488&v=t109586

kvg
10-23-2010, 09:43 PM
My versa with the front seat all the way back, sitting in the back my knees don't touch the front seats and I'm 6ft tall. Actually that one of the reasons we got it. It's a deeper seat than my old maxima. Worth a look IMO.

89s1
10-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Toyota Matrix has a fairly roomy interior IIRC.

J-hop
10-24-2010, 12:17 AM

ExtraSlow
10-24-2010, 12:13 PM
The problem with rear facing car seats, is that they take up the room differently than a person does. You might think a certain car felt pretty roomy, only to find that the car seat doesn't fit.

I will porbably have to go out and test-fit the seat in a few cars. I'm pretty lazy though.

diamondedge
10-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

insanely bad blind spots though, so what you pick up in room you lose in safety. Don't know how they haven't figured this out haha, they have always had some of the worst blind spots out of any car i've driven and the new ones just seem to be worse!!!!

I have the first generation one, never noticed any problems w/ blind spots. That said, I haven't been inside the 2nd gen so I can't comment.

ExtraSlow - I see what you mean - the comparison isn't legroom per-se, it's more of the fore-aft room at about shoulder level that takes up the most space. Try out the Matrix and Fit, even Versa possibly.

msommers
10-24-2010, 12:30 PM
I'd consider a crossover like a Rogue, Rav-4 or CRV. You may also be able get into a Pathfinder, Pilot or Murano?

Calgaryrocky
10-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Take a look at the Nissan Altima 02+, Its not a hatchback but it is the roomiest sedan i've ever owned. The 2.5L 4 cylinder still gets really good fuel economy and you can find them used for a really good price.

Masked Bandit
10-24-2010, 03:37 PM
2002 & newer Honda CR-V. Stupid roomy back seat for a vehicle that small. All around probably the best bang for the buck we've ever owned.

ExtraSlow
10-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Yeah, the "cute ute" looks like it's the popular choice. Forester, RAV4, Highlander and CR-V.

J-hop
10-24-2010, 08:39 PM

Tomaz
10-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Volvo V50 :bigpimp:

ExtraSlow
10-11-2015, 09:03 AM
Necro-bump! Thought I'd keep my question to this old thread of mine, since some of the requirements are still the same.

Might be selling my truck and downgrading to a "cheaper" car to get me though this unemployment. The used truck market is amazingly strong these days.

Looking for a family car,doesn't have to be "small, with decent rear seat room for the kids in carseats (front facing now). Would like it to be somewhat reliable, and if at all possible, somewhat fun driving dynamics. Fuel economy is not primary concern, as it will be seeing very few KMs, mostly short trips.

Must have the LATCH anchors, (AKA LUAS, Lower Universal Anchor System), so must be newer than 2003.

Price, $4000-$6000.

Looking through Kijiji, seems like a Camry, Elantra, Mazda6 in the 2007 age are pretty decent choices.

Not making this move for a month or so, just assessing my options right now.

Fly Fishin'
10-11-2015, 10:10 AM
I got a 2000 forester with 89000km for $6000 landed at Vancover from Japan. Driving was very odd for the first 2 hours or so and now I do t even notice switching from left to right hand drive.

The back seats are very roomy even compared with my 98 legacy. They also fold flat so I can get some large stuff in there.

The only things I have had to do are general maintenance on a 15 year old car so that probably put another 500 on the bill but at this point I have had such a good experience that I will not buy another japanese car from Canada.

Parts are also easy to find as 90% of the parts are the same as north American models.

relyt92
10-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Certainly not 'fun' but what about one of the full size GM's of the year like an Impala? Tons of space, cheap to fix and cheap.

realazy
10-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Boxy little hatchbacks usually have lots or rear passenger room. The honda fit and nissan versa come to mind.

killramos
10-11-2015, 01:20 PM
+1 for a fit.

Have fit 5 adults in one without to much hassle.

Much better than a golf for room as a note, decent little car to.

Aleks
10-13-2015, 08:03 AM
How close are the kids to being in booster seats? Front facing kid seats still take up a lot of room. I don't think the little hatchbacks would work for you (I've owned a Fit, Golf, and other cars this size). I think your best bet would be mid size sedans like the ones you mentioned. Camry, Accord would be probably your best choices in that range. Stick to 4 cylinder Accord if going that way.

Or, go all out and get something like this?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2009-mazda-mazda5/1109877591?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/nice-and-clean-2006-mazda-5/1109550223?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

rage2
10-13-2015, 08:15 AM
There are some front facing convertibles that are pretty decent. I've had good success with the Britax Marathon, it's worked well in the C63 BS, the RC-F, with tons of room left over.

It's the rear facing ones that suck ass as they need a lot of legroom to clear the front seats.

ExtraSlow
10-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Yeah, one kid is in a booster seat, and that's pretty slim. The other is a a year away at least, but i can always put her behind the wife's seat to make a little more room.

We've got the minivan if we need to take longer trips with the whole family.

V6 accords not as reliable?

Aleks
10-13-2015, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Yeah, one kid is in a booster seat, and that's pretty slim. The other is a a year away at least, but i can always put her behind the wife's seat to make a little more room.

We've got the minivan if we need to take longer trips with the whole family.

V6 accords not as reliable?

I forgot about your Odyssey. Forget the Mazda5 then. The only worry I would have about V6 Accords of that era is the transmission. They seem to have some well documented issues with them.

sputnik
10-13-2015, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
I got a 2000 forester with 89000km for $6000 landed at Vancover from Japan. Driving was very odd for the first 2 hours or so and now I do t even notice switching from left to right hand drive.

Why would you bother importing a Subaru Forester from Japan?

Zero102
10-13-2015, 10:41 AM
I've got an Elantra Touring (2010) and it has a crazy big back seat for such a reasonably sized car.
It gets ~7L/100km (pen & paper, not from the trip computer) with the 5 speed and it's got optional heated seats and projector headlights as well.

Perhaps they're worth checking out, just don't get the automatic gearbox - they seem to be horrendously unreliable.

s_havinga
10-13-2015, 12:09 PM
I have a 2004 Maxima that mostly just sits parked but I love it, more space in the back then any other car I have sat in (I'm 6'3) plus with a 3.5L V6 and 6 speed manual, it fun to zip around in. Of course my normal vehicle is a Duramax 2500 truck so most cars feel pretty nimble to me.

r3ccOs
10-13-2015, 12:36 PM
funny... of all the cars that are "small" that feel "big", are the VW hatches... especially since the MK4

Somehow the Jetta doesn't seem to have the same legroom or headroom... or percieved

My volvo V50 has awesome trunk space, as its a "real" wagon, but rear leg room is left to be desired

I heard that the new Corolla (can't remember which model) now has leg room that rivals the Camry...

dirtsniffer
10-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Necro-bump! Thought I'd keep my question to this old thread of mine, since some of the requirements are still the same.

Might be selling my truck and downgrading to a "cheaper" car to get me though this unemployment. The used truck market is amazingly strong these days.

Looking for a family car,doesn't have to be "small, with decent rear seat room for the kids in carseats (front facing now). Would like it to be somewhat reliable, and if at all possible, somewhat fun driving dynamics. Fuel economy is not primary concern, as it will be seeing very few KMs, mostly short trips.

Must have the LATCH anchors, (AKA LUAS, Lower Universal Anchor System), so must be newer than 2003.

Price, $4000-$6000.

Looking through Kijiji, seems like a Camry, Elantra, Mazda6 in the 2007 age are pretty decent choices.

Not making this move for a month or so, just assessing my options right now.

I had a 2001 camry. great vehicle, mine was even a 5 speed :P

Fly Fishin'
10-14-2015, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Why would you bother importing a Subaru Forester from Japan?

Price vs km on the car. I could buy a turbo forester with 150000km from north America for 10k to 14k (average asking price) or a jdm with 60000 to 80000km for half the price.

E36M3
10-14-2015, 11:31 AM
A Honda Element has more room than most large sedans in the back seat.. I was shocked at how much room it has.

sputnik
10-14-2015, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
A Honda Element has more room than most large sedans in the back seat.. I was shocked at how much room it has.

The front seat as well. My brother in law is 6'4 and could wear a cowboy hat while driving it if he wanted to.