PDA

View Full Version : Lay-flat and/or flush-mount photobooks

smc
10-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Does anyone have experience ordering Lay-flat and/or flush-mount photobooks?

Right now I trying to determine if the Picaboo Madison book is of sufficient quality or if Zookbinders- Zook book is worth the extra cost.

Any thoughts on these or other such books would be appreciated.

Go4Long
10-24-2010, 03:28 PM
every time these threads come up someone recommends finao...so I recommend finao :poosie:

smc
10-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
every time these threads come up someone recommends finao...so I recommend finao :poosie:

found out answer to my own question, they are even more expensive than Zookbooks.

Go4Long
10-24-2010, 09:04 PM
no clue...here's a blog talking about them:

http://jamiesondean.com/blog/?p=212

quazimoto
10-24-2010, 09:30 PM
There are a few companies that are all basically right around the same quality as I'm quite certain they use the same equipment. The one thing with Finao that stands out is that their album covers are a little more unique. I personally don't use them as I do not like the page finish. You can also look at Asuka books as they do a great quality book. There are seriously 3 or 4 companies all with relatively similar quality but again the prices you are looking at will not be CHEAP for any flush mount professional album.

benyl
10-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Our wedding album is Finao.

Pimp. But expensive.

I think we paid over $800, or close to $1K. But that was when the Dollar was 1 USD = 1.30 CDN (late 2008).

That was for 52 pages.

quazimoto
10-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Who in gods name charged you that much for the book by itself? The page quality is identical to other major album production companies. The only thing that they have that is vastly different are the coverings which are interesting.

smc
10-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by quazimoto
There are a few companies that are all basically right around the same quality as I'm quite certain they use the same equipment. The one thing with Finao that stands out is that their album covers are a little more unique. I personally don't use them as I do not like the page finish. You can also look at Asuka books as they do a great quality book. There are seriously 3 or 4 companies all with relatively similar quality but again the prices you are looking at will not be CHEAP for any flush mount professional album.

Thanks,

So are Asuka books the one you would recommend? I think I would prefer a landscape layout, they only have 10x10 or 8x11.

quazimoto
10-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Asuka is a very popular producer. I would personally recommend the square books as I find they have better durability. I think it's something to do with the added weight of the landscape books on the spine of the book.

You might find that some of these companies are also very specific in the company that they will allow access. It's not uncommon for photographers to be denied service based on certain criteria. It sounds crazy but it does happen.

smc
10-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Asuka is a very popular producer. I would personally recommend the square books as I find they have better durability. I think it's something to do with the added weight of the landscape books on the spine of the book.

You might find that some of these companies are also very specific in the company that they will allow access. It's not uncommon for photographers to be denied service based on certain criteria. It sounds crazy but it does happen.

Thanks,

They can't be too particular, I now have access to Asuka, Zookbinders & finao ;) Zook was the hardest got get access too.

I am leaning towards finao becuase I like the 9x12 size and I don't like the rounded corners on the Zookbook.

Both Finao and Zook will give 40% discounds on samples does Asuka offer this, I didn't see it mentioned in their price list?

Melinda
10-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Just be warned that the 40% off means there is a big SAMPLE stamp across the back cover. I personally love finao. Worth every penny IMO.

benyl
10-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Who in gods name charged you that much for the book by itself? The page quality is identical to other major album production companies. The only thing that they have that is vastly different are the coverings which are interesting.

Haha, wife said it was about half that. oops.

I'll change my post.

quazimoto
10-24-2010, 10:49 PM
I can't remember to be honest, I know I was doing samples of all of them. As I said the quality is very similar when it comes to the pages. Its just the book covers where I find the quality varies a lot from supplier to supplier.

A lot of it for me boiled down to customer service, product delivery speed and the shipping methods being used by each.

benyl
10-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Finao was great.

They sent us a finished book and we noticed that the pages were "off" a bit. Maybe 2mm over the 28". You could tell based on the page numbers (distance to the margin).

They took it back and made a new one. No charge.

quazimoto
10-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Most of the major suppliers will bend over backwards you'll find. It's likely due to the fact their profit margins are insane.

smc
10-26-2010, 01:18 AM
For the Finao books, which covers to people generally prefer?

I am leaning towards ICE or Armour.

Thanks

Melinda
10-28-2010, 11:51 PM
^^ Both are AMAZING. I personally adore the look of the ice though. Both are kind of heavy though, it adds some weight to the book.

smc
10-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
^^ Both are AMAZING. I personally adore the look of the ice though. Both are kind of heavy though, it adds some weight to the book.

Thanks Melinda,

I have ordered a 38 page Fiano One with an ICE cover. In 4-5 weeks I should have it in my hands.

quazimoto
10-29-2010, 03:13 PM
That's the one thing that sucks about, and I mean absolutely sucks 4-5 weeks is an absurdly long time :(