PDA

View Full Version : LF: home networking - come fish some wires for me!

ExtraSlow
10-25-2010, 07:59 AM
My home is wired with Cat5e for the phone cables.
I'm looking for someone who can 1) connect the other 2/4 wires to makes this work for my home network. and 2) fish/run a couple more network cables to specific spots. The basement is unfinished right now,a nd I need ti fished to the main floor, so that should be pretty doable.

Yeah, this is something I might be able to do myself. Truth is, I've been meaning to do this for months, and it hasn't happened. I just need it done.

Beyond network dudes, chime in.

eblend
10-25-2010, 09:56 AM
There are guides online on how to make a single cat5 works as both telephone and network, but you will be limited to 100mb which really isn't an issue in most cases.

I wish my house was prewired with cat5 for phone jacks, but they used cat3 :(

ExtraSlow
10-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Actually, I won't be using most of these for phone at all, so that's no issue. The guy who hooked it up only used two wires, which is all phone requires, so the remaining two wires need to be hooked up for it to work for data.
In one room, I do require phone and data, so I'm needing a new wire fished in and a new wall jack.

eblend
10-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Actually, I won't be using most of these for phone at all, so that's no issue. The guy who hooked it up only used two wires, which is all phone requires, so the remaining two wires need to be hooked up for it to work for data.
In one room, I do require phone and data, so I'm needing a new wire fished in and a new wall jack.

Cat5 has 8 wires inside...are you sure it isn't cat3?

As mentioned previously, you can save yourself alot of headaches (and money) by using a single cat5 for both data and phone (one cable to carry both signals since there are 8 in a cat5, 2 for voice, 4 for 100mb data and 2 free), instead of trying to fish wires through the walls, unless where you require the extra jack is right above the basement, in which case it should be easy to get the cable up there.

ExtraSlow
10-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Hmmm, I'll have to go take a look. I thought I had cat5.

Xtrema
10-25-2010, 03:29 PM
eblend is right. CAT5 is 8 wires. If you only see 2 and not the other six. It ain't CAT5.

You need 4 to do 100Mbps. All 8 if you want 1Gbps.

Awd-Tsi
10-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Yes the 4 wires with a clear plastic devider is 100mb cat5. I would help do this if I finished my course..

ExtraSlow
10-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Just double checked this, and it's definitely Cat5, it's clearly marked on the wire, and ti's 8 wires inside. Only using 2 wires currently for the phone, so I never looked close at it.

Anyway, anyone out there help me out?