PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tires for Calgary

TacoMexicano
10-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Fairly simple, I'm ordering my winter tires for my Jeep JK today, and I'm torn between a dedicated Winter Tire, or an off-road tire. I've always loved how much Ice traction winter tires have, my concern with an offroad tire is the lack of ice traction. Any suggestions?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO&sidewall=Raised%20White%20Letters&partnum=385SR6ATAKORWLV2&tab=Sizes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Winterforce+LT&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=385R6WFLT&tab=Sizes

Tik-Tok
10-25-2010, 10:41 AM
The offroad ones aren't going to help you at all on an icy road. Are you planning offroading with these?

If not, and you want that size, I'd go with these

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+W965&partnum=385R6BZW965&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

TacoMexicano
10-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Ya I much prefer a dedicated winter tire for those ice roads we seem to get a few times a year. Then I guess the question is, would those blizzaks be useless in off-road situations? Which I guess during winter is deep snow?

Tik-Tok
10-25-2010, 10:51 AM
I suppose it depends what kind of off-roading you'll be doing. I definitely wouldn't be rockclimbing with them, but just going over rough terrain would be fine.

Abeo
10-25-2010, 11:05 AM
The BFG's are great in loose snow, but terrible on ice.
The winterforce tires(if unstudded) aren't that great as a winter tire, they are ok in snow and not that great on ice (but better than the bfg's). I'm debating getting new studded tires and selling my 70% winterforce tires.
I've heard good things about this tire when studded: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?pc=32699&counter=1&ar=85&rd=16&sw=true&cs=235

disclaimer: I drive a 2wd pickup, so someone with 4wd or more weight in the back might feel different

TacoMexicano
10-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Have those General altimax arctic's on both our Subaru Impreza and Subaru Legacy. Not studded, and the winter traction on both packed snow and Ice is fantastic! I do want a truck tire for my Jeep though, I've heard passenger tires upsized to fit it are not as smart a choice

codetrap
10-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Don't exclude 1010tires.com. They've got a warehouse in Van, so shipping is cheaper.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Firestone&tiremodel=Winterforce+LT

FraserB
10-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Those Blizzaks are not going to be useful offroad, even in snow they wont make a difference. Also, you will be stuck swapping tires if you want to go offroading, those winters will clog up far far worse thatn a street tire.

The BFG MTs you have on there now are fine, just take them to KalTire by Chinook and have then sipped. I have had zero problems with mine for two winters now.

projekz
10-25-2010, 11:36 AM
This is what you need:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+DuraTrac&partnum=385QR6WDT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

r3ccOs
11-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by projekz
This is what you need:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+DuraTrac&partnum=385QR6WDT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Those are very good all around tires...

No, even the best snowflake AT tire won't be as good on ICE as Winter/ICE specific tires... but they aren't bad neither.

One thing that people don't realize, is that you can deflate truck tires down a few PSI's to help with overall traction... where as Winter tires have soft enough compounds that more sidewall pressure helps (kinda 2 conflicting techniques to accomplish the same thing)

I bought Wrangler Terratory from Canadian tires, which are much better priced than the Duratrack, and I've found to be better in Mud compared to my buddy's Duratrac which fills up, which should also mean better in real deep snow. But the duratrac maybe better on ICE & Road due to the siping?

Another one to look @ is the Wrangler ones they sell @ Wal-mart which are very simular to the duratrac but are also very well priced and have alot of siping and yet tread-depth.

U can also always stud, stud.

Cooked Rice
11-09-2010, 02:29 AM
Duratracs have awesome siping, quite a few guys on CT4WD have picked up a set for this year, and/or have been running them in the past. I studded mine for extra traction on ice. Recently also convinced 2 of my friends to get a set for their trucks. It's great you can run them year round on and off the trail. CelicaST-162 just put a set on, i'm sure he'll chime in with his opinions.

r3ccOs
11-09-2010, 09:25 AM
very simular between the Walmart tires, the Wrangler Territories and Duratrac... I'd buy whatever is the best priced

That being said, next I'll get are the Truxus MTs... plenty of siping and grooves for winter and nice and luggy

My MT/Rs were siped and they performed very well in the winter... too bad they wore so fast and made so much noise

CelicaST-162
11-10-2010, 08:33 PM
The Duratracs look and feel very promising. But until it snows, I will give my full two cents on that matter. But until then, the Duratracs have some siping with the featured "Tractive Groove" technology which gives extra bite in deep snow and mud. The thing that steered me towards the Duratracs over the other choices of an off road tire I can get is they have a really soft compound, with that being said that may provide decent traction on ice. (Fingers crossed!)

If you're leaning towards a winter tire, I'd lean towards that. Winters offer the most traction on ice hands down.

bituerbo
11-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Hey,

It snowed.

-b

ercchry
11-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

The BFG MTs you have on there now are fine, just take them to KalTire by Chinook and have then sipped. I have had zero problems with mine for two winters now.

:werd:

and mine are not even sipped... i dunno why you are hell bent on winters :dunno:

RedApe
11-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

That being said, next I'll get are the Truxus MTs... plenty of siping and grooves for winter and nice and luggy

These are an EXCELLENT choice, IMO. We've got TRXUS MTs in a 33x12.5x15 on my wifes TJ. We're at 68,000 Kms, 5 years, and run all year long. The siping, and water clearing channel in the tread pattern make for a great tire.
We have about 60-5% tread left.

This subject comes up every year...is really an AGES long debate of the merits behind behind a snow/winter tire and offroad tire on a 4x4.

Best answer: there isn't one. :) Everyone has an opinion...everyone will stand behind their reasoning.
It will end up a trial/error exercise to find something that suits your driving style and usage.

Not quite the silver bullet you were looking for.... :)

TacoMexicano
11-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Well decided on a good set of the Bridgestone truck Blizzaks. My Wrangler came equipped with BFG MT's, the rubicon stock wheels and first few days when it was snow, man they wouldn't let go. However after a few icy intersections, and a close call with a stray dog... Figured that even though the MT's were "fine", they just dont have the traction on hard pack and ice that a proper set of winter tires has.

Plus if I've already gone and bought a new 4x4... whats the extra bit of money to keep me safe on the road?

Tik-Tok
11-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Good on you man. So many people like to argue that you don't need winters, that a good driver can handle anything, but ultimately winters will make even the best driver better.