PDA

View Full Version : My home was broken into; watch out for Queensland, Deer Run & area

Graham_A_M
10-25-2010, 11:19 AM
Last night between 10pm and 4am my garage was broken into, they stole my (almost worthless POS) air compressor, and my USB flash drive for my cars deck, as well as my ratcheting wrench's that I haven't even used yet. :whipped:
My bros $2500 Giant Mountain bike, a bunch of odds & ends from my car and my pressure washer
So watch out for the surrounding Parkland, Queensland, Deer Ridge & Deer Run areas.
The police just left, unfortunately its hard to track crimes such as this
They broke in my kicking the door in, then opening up my garage to wheel everything out through the main garage door.
Leave all your valuables in your house for the next while.

eblend
10-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Reason why I am getting like 4cameras in my garage

Nufy
10-25-2010, 08:11 PM
They hit my neighbor on Deerview Drive a few weeks ago as well. Thanksgiving weekend to be exact

Thank god I have so much crap in my garage covering up the good stuff.

black13
10-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Do you have the garage seperated from the house cause how did they manage to open the door without you noticing? or at least my house the garage door shakes the upstairs just a bit when opening.

But sucks to hear regardless and at least they didn't come inside your house.

Graham_A_M
10-25-2010, 09:13 PM
^ Yeah I tried to change the thread title but was too late. :(

Yeah its a detached garage. Quite smart, they unscrewed the lightbulbs in my garage door opener before opening it.
Thank god I parked my car in the garage, thus blocking my sportbike, (first time this week doing that) otherwise I'd be ***quite*** a bit more upset then I am. :nut:
I fixed the door, so its good to go until its replaced. Next time I'll brace it with a piece of steel going into the closest stud so this cant happen. Fuck sakes.....

The officer said to REALLY watch out for the Bonavista residents. Apparently its quite a common occurrence in that neighborhood.

ddduke
10-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Do you have any dogs?

2 years ago, 3 of my neighbours and my friend who lived down the street all got robbed. I had a plasma, all my dvds, laptop and all my other valuable on display every day in front of the big bay window and noone ever broke in. I also didnt ever lock the doors.

I'm positive that it was the Bull Terrier and American Staffordshire that kept us safe.

Graham_A_M
10-25-2010, 10:05 PM
^ no, just two goofball cats that didn't do shit :rofl:
I'd love to get a lab, as its the only dog that fits my lifestyle, (very chill and low maintenance) but I find the typical maintenance of dogs in general quite unappealing. :dunno:

ddduke
10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I'd love to get a lab, as its the only dog that fits my lifestyle, (very chill and low maintenance) but I find the typical maintenance of dogs in general quite unappealing. :dunno:

Yeah, that makes sense. Some people just aren't into it. All depends on work and shit too. I can throw the dogs in the truck and take them with me every day and lots of people can't. It is nice having 2 though, then they entertain each other alot too.

Cooked Rice
10-26-2010, 12:40 AM
One of the downfalls with residential garage doors is that very few have dead bolts on them. But I don't know if you had one or if it would have helped in this situation? I always thought it was difficult to kick down a door with a deadbolt.

civic_stylez
10-26-2010, 08:40 AM
^ Yeah I tried to change the thread title but was too late. :(

Yeah its a detached garage. Quite smart, they unscrewed the lightbulbs in my garage door opener before opening it.
Thank god I parked my car in the garage, thus blocking my sportbike, (first time this week doing that) otherwise I'd be ***quite*** a bit more upset then I am. :nut:
I fixed the door, so its good to go until its replaced. Next time I'll brace it with a piece of steel going into the closest stud so this cant happen. Fuck sakes.....

The officer said to REALLY watch out for the Bonavista residents. Apparently its quite a common occurrence in that neighborhood.

I am in bonavista and i just had my garage broken in to...new door shopping this week...

Awd-Tsi
10-26-2010, 09:21 AM
I'd love to get a lab, as its the only dog that fits my lifestyle, (very chill and low maintenance) but I find the typical maintenance of dogs in general quite unappealing. :dunno: WWW.BUYTIGERS.COM one of these would help :D

Tik-Tok
10-26-2010, 09:26 AM
So do you guys have easy access backyards? Just normal height fences and gates with no padlocks?

beyond_ban
10-26-2010, 09:46 AM
If the thief is brazen enough to break into the garage, i doubt even a 6 foot fence could truly stop them.

Tik-Tok
10-26-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
If the thief is brazen enough to break into the garage, i doubt even a 6 foot fence could truly stop them.

If it was a random b&e, it's all about easy access. House A has a shitty 6' with a gate and no lock, House B has 8' fence with a padlocked gate, which one is a common non targetting thief going to go for?

beyond_ban
10-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

If it was a random b&e, it's all about easy access. House A has a shitty 6' with a gate and no lock, House B has 8' fence with a padlocked gate, which one is a common non targetting thief going to go for?

True, unless it was targeted like mentioned above.

EDIT: Are any areas allowed to have a fence over 8' tall? Anyone 5'10 or taller that has half a brain could jump an 8' fence fairly easy as well.

Tik-Tok
10-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

EDIT: Are any areas allowed to have a fence over 8' tall? Anyone 5'10 or taller that has half a brain could jump an 8' fence fairly easy as well.

No, not allowed over 6' from ground level. You also aren't allowed this type of fence... but you only get in trouble if someone complains, and no ones said anything about mine ;)

http://www.superiorfenceandrail.com/images/Images-Products/Chain-Link_Fencing.jpg

The_Rural_Juror
10-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Bonavista used to be such a good neighborhood. What happened?

civic_stylez
10-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

Ive lived in Bonavista most of my life and Ive been pretty shocked lately... ithinks its because its a good community where thefts used to be rare..people didnt lock their doors as much and security wasnt a huge priority. I guess we were sitting ducks for theives. I can tell you 1 thing, im going shopping at home depot tonight for new locks, sensor lights and additional security items for my house. I feel super violated after my garage was broken into last night.:whipped:

bspot
10-26-2010, 12:27 PM
Take it from someone who had 3 break-ins this summer and is now a self appointed expert ;)

1. Running the piece of steel down the inside of the jamb is a great start.

2. For all your door hardware (strike plates, hinges) run some super long (3"-3 1/2") screws in.

3. Add a second deadbolt lower down on the door.

4. Motion lights.

It's actually rediculously easy to kick down a door with a deadbolt. If you put the second deadbolt lower down where someone can put their most powerful kick, and have the steel on the jamb, they are going to have a hard time getting in there next time and will hopefully move on.

spikerS
10-26-2010, 12:36 PM
we just discovered that someone came into our backyard, climbed up onto our deck to steal 3 garbage bags of recyclables. was all beer cans and pop cans ect.

they didnt take anything else though...

kinda wierd...

KO22
10-26-2010, 01:09 PM
^ I just lol'd.. musta been homeless folks, or someone who really likes to recycle lol

Masked Bandit
10-26-2010, 01:13 PM
I just had a client who's house was B & E'd right on Queensland Drive two weeks ago. They actually came back a second time within 48 hours so be aware.

n1zm0
10-26-2010, 01:42 PM
sensor lights and wireless motion cams, the IR detecting kind even better IR motion detect night vision cams, then have it SMS you with a live feed, those hundreds of iphone apps can do all that.

but all the deep SE communities that were once good are experiencing high crimerate, sucks, deep SE was such a good area, i grew up in Acadia/Deer Run, they went through the phases of shitty teenagers here and there but its never been this bad as of the past 1-2 years.

The Downs in bonavista were always shady imo, queensland and parts of deer run too and i think purely on the amount of pre-teen to teenage group that's in those communities.

sillysod
10-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by spikers
we just discovered that someone came into our backyard, climbed up onto our deck to steal 3 garbage bags of recyclables. was all beer cans and pop cans ect.

they didnt take anything else though...

kinda wierd...

I had the same thing last winter, but my garage wasn't finished so they just walked in and helped themselves.

My garage has a lot of $$$ tools etc in it and I am out there a lot. People drive down the alley and tell me how nice my garage is and that I sure have a lot of tools. It started creeping me out so I put a mag switch with a timer on the garage door and now everytime it opens it beeps in the house.

I also put a motion detector in there for when nobody is home. The yard has locks on the gates so you can't get in the yard without jumping the fence.

So far I've been lucky.

beyond_ban
10-26-2010, 02:29 PM
^ Bottles are commonly taken from my house as well. It was never a problem until the Crowfoot train station.

sk8r3124
10-26-2010, 03:23 PM
I just recently moved out of the bonavista area,
and not two weeks after moving out, my old roommate said that his type-r was broken into, as well as the truck in the alley. All they took was an I-pod fm transmitter. But in the time I spent in the area, it only went down hill. By the end of it, you couldn't go a block without seeing some shit graffiti tag on a garage door or a mailbox. I always chalked it up to the sketchy kids in the area that loiter around the promenade every night. But I have no proof, so its all speculation.

I'm back in the good old Oakridge, don't see much of that activity here.

Graham_A_M
10-26-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

It still is; as there is lots of money in that area... and so it makes a great target for this type of crime.

To the people asking if I have a deadbolt on my door, or if I have a beefy fence... No I dont have either.
A dead bolt would have done nothing in a wood door frame, as the wood split and gave way. Thats why Im installing a metal brace that'll attach to the studs next time. I have already to secure it but.... it needs to be much better

A high & dangerous fence would have been nice, but no somehow I never thought this would have happened so I just have a 6' wood fence with two gates that aren't hard to open.

And yeah some decent motion detector flood lights are next to be installed.

It took me until lastnight before I remembered my bro was storing his high end Giant mountain bike from the ceiling.
he was very dis-stressed over that going missing...

Fuck sakes this has been a shit show. :facepalm:

tomt64
10-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Any pics of the bike so we can keep a look out for it? Sorry to hear about that.

civic_stylez
10-26-2010, 10:05 PM

It still is; as there is lots of money in that area... and so it makes a great target for this type of crime.

To the people asking if I have a deadbolt on my door, or if I have a beefy fence... No I dont have either.
A dead bolt would have done nothing in a wood door frame, as the wood split and gave way. Thats why Im installing a metal brace that'll attach to the studs next time. I have already to secure it but.... it needs to be much better

A high & dangerous fence would have been nice, but no somehow I never thought this would have happened so I just have a 6' wood fence with two gates that aren't hard to open.

And yeah some decent motion detector flood lights are next to be installed.

It took me until lastnight before I remembered my bro was storing his high end Giant mountain bike from the ceiling.
he was very dis-stressed over that going missing...

Fuck sakes this has been a shit show. :facepalm:

My Giant went last night too... fucking KILLS me when i look at the spot where it was sitting... I asked the cop who came today what I can do if I catch them in the act.. he looked at me and said..."its your house, do whatever you want"...:guns:

Post a pic.. ill keep my eyes out for it too..

123focus
10-26-2010, 10:32 PM
I gather you don't have an alarm system. Maybe just get some ADT stickers somewhere? That will deter most.

Graham_A_M
10-26-2010, 10:51 PM
^No alarm, great idea though!

K I'll get a detailed description of it from my bro tomorrow.
It was a $1400 bike with about $1100 in mods.
I've been checking Kijiji & other places quite intently since it happened to see if their trying to sell it.... abiet to no avail. :(

liquidboi69
10-26-2010, 11:40 PM
My friends whole neighborhood got broken into and they took tonnes of stuff, and my locker + 6 others at UC got broken into and they even took my clothes.

Everyone be careful.

Graham_A_M
10-27-2010, 12:04 PM
apparantly they caught two kids, 15 and 17 and laid 76 charges amoung two break-ins, however I've not heard back if they were the fuckers that broke into mine as well.

n1zm0
10-27-2010, 12:10 PM
apparantly they caught two kids, 15 and 17 and laid 76 charges amoung two break-ins, however I've not heard back if they were the fuckers that broke into mine as well.

i heard those kids did that stuff mostly all in the NE and one in the SW

bspot
10-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Do you know where in the NE?

There were some f*ckers ripping through Bridgeland/Renfrew (barely NE) this summer, and they must have been small judging by the tiny window they crawled through into my house, so 15 and 17 would make sense.

Kloubek
10-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Sorry to hear about this Graham. As I mentioned in the other thread, my car got broken into and I felt super violated. I'm sure if it was my garage (or worse - house) it would make me go absolutely ballistic.

Good luck getting your shit back.

Graham_A_M
10-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Just got home to find they recovered my wallet: in a stolen truck located in where else? You guessed it.... NE. Specifically Pine Ridge. Nothing else was recovered. :(

I guess they used the truck for taking all the stuff.
They suspect it was drug related.

All in all, I just wanted my bros bike and my olds & ends back.

That winter jacket (my only one) that they stole, a family member bought for me from a store that isn't around anymore, along with a nice watch I got in Rome.

Fuck sakes.... If I ever find those guys wow :devil:

Graham_A_M
11-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Great news. they found the two suspects a week ago, and have laid numerous charges towards both of them. They have a long list of charges againest them, so they should be put away for a long while.

Both are from (drum roll please): Forrest Lawn. Both were well known to Police for similar offences.
We got a phone call about a day later, and they found my bros Giant bike in among the stolen goods of other households as well.
So if nothing else, at least we have that back. The CPS credit being able to find our bike due to the fact we had its VIN/Serial number on file, to which they cross-referenced. Unfortunately that was the only thing we had the "VIN" for, so that was all we got back, minus my wallet of course.

Moral of the story? take the model & serial number of all your goods and write it down somewhere whereas if it ever gets stolen or lost, its easily trackable. ;)

Tik-Tok
11-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Moral of the story? take the model & serial number of all your goods and write it down somewhere whereas if it ever gets stolen or lost, its easily trackable. ;)

Yeah, after my sister-in-law dated someone who turned out to be... less than reputable. We started recording all that info, and I keep the disc with it at work.

Kloubek
11-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Glad to hear they caught the shitheads. Hopefully they spend more than a few days in jail....