PDA

View Full Version : Quick electrical question

nismodrifter
10-25-2010, 11:59 AM
I am finishing up splicing/connecting wires in the basement electrical boxes.

Have got a question regarding connection of ground wires.

Lets say I have a plug box with 3 wires coming in = 3 ground wires. Do I connect 1 wire to the plug + 2 wires to screws (and cut off the extra length)?

danno
10-25-2010, 12:21 PM
You will have 2 screws on the box so stick your 3 grounds threw them and tighten the screws. Then cut 2 off and use the last for the plug.

nismodrifter
10-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Thx for the reply danno :thumbsup:

eblend
10-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Just an FYI, if you are having this inspected they might bitch and moan about your setup and have you redo it. A typical 2.5" deep electrical box that is used for most plugs and switches can only have a maximum of 5 conductors in it (ground not included), which allows for a dual conductor and a tripple conductor cables to be used, any more and you will require a 3" deep box, which allows for 7. Also, the inspector I had said that those tie down screws are only designed for 1 ground cable each, and if you want to have more then the amount of screws you have to make a longer ground cable, loop it through the screw and then use those twist things to connect additional ground screws together. The idea is to have all the boxes grounded as well as all the outlets themselves. Not sure if Danno made it clear or not, but all 3 wires need to be grounded to the box first before one of them continues on to the plug.

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/dba/brochures/homeowner_permits_and_electrical_wiring_guide.pdf

Page 6 shows the number of conductors you can have in any given type of box.

My inspector was probably having his period when he came as he was a complete dick, so just passing the info along.

PD77
10-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Just an FYI, if you are having this inspected they might bitch and moan about your setup and have you redo it. A typical 2.5" deep electrical box that is used for most plugs and switches can only have a maximum of 5 conductors in it (ground not included), which allows for a dual conductor and a tripple conductor cables to be used, any more and you will require a 3" deep box, which allows for 7. Also, the inspector I had said that those tie down screws are only designed for 1 ground cable each, and if you want to have more then the amount of screws you have to make a longer ground cable, loop it through the screw and then use those twist things to connect additional ground screws together. The idea is to have all the boxes grounded as well as all the outlets themselves. Not sure if Danno made it clear or not, but all 3 wires need to be grounded to the box first before one of them continues on to the plug.

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/dba/brochures/homeowner_permits_and_electrical_wiring_guide.pdf

Page 6 shows the number of conductors you can have in any given type of box.

My inspector was probably having his period when he came as he was a complete dick, so just passing the info along.

Being a dick he was, I have NEVER heard of only being able to use the grounding screw for one conductor. Also don't forget the Marettes (those twist things) count as half a wire for box fill.

HuMz
10-25-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by PD77

Being a dick he was, I have NEVER heard of only being able to use the grounding screw for one conductor. Also don't forget the Marettes (those twist things) count as half a wire for box fill.

Yeah that's simply not true, I typically will wrap one or 2 around each screw then spice if there's more coming in, but I've never heard of it not passing inspection for having 2 wires on one ground screw.....inspectors an idiot.