PDA

View Full Version : Help required please. 97 VW Diesel cold start troubles.

ricosuave
01-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Hi all,
Happy new years and so forth...

Here's my problem. Lately, for about the past 2 weeks, when its been close to or below zero, im having trouble starting my 1.9 idi.

It will turn over, and over, and over, and over, and over. I turn it over for 30 seconds at a time, and sometime have to do it for 4-5 minutes before it will start. As such, there is a ton of white smoke coming from the tailpipe until it fires, and then it goes away (i know its unburned diesel, just sharing the story)

When I plug the car in, it fires up right away, although I do still have to use the cold start knob once in a while.

OK, so today, I thought I'd do a few things - first, I replaced the glow plug relay - didnt make a difference. Second, I changed the 50A fuse. Old one looked OK still, but contacts were a slightly dirty. Tightened it down good. Also didnt make a difference. I went to these 2 posts to try and garner some info:

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/4037/t/436

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthreaded.p...amp;sb=5&o=

I then proceded to try the clamp on meter test from the first post. I'm not sure which setting to use on it. My clamp on meter is cheap, and doesnt come with much direction. The settings are as follows:

ACA (AC Amps) 200 or 1000
ACV (AC Volts) 750
DCV (DC Volts) 1000
Omega sign 200 or 20k
and
Omega sign 200 or 20k (External Unit) meaning the clamp on meter part??

FYI, Its from Princess Auto, Brand Select Model DT266, cost $15.

Im also not sure which wires to clamp it on - the post says red and white, but my glow plug has has 2 reds, a black and then some others going to some sort of hub. I can send 2 pics of this area, or if someone can host them...

I also have a Canadian Tire multimeter if someone wants to walk me through with that.

I have 2 new sets of glow plugs, but havent had the time to install them just yet. In fact, I'd like to bounce some numbers off you all and see if they and the relays are the right ones for me, and what type they are. They are:

1-Glow Plug Relay - VW 357 911 253A (What I had in it to begin with - found in Calgary new for $15!)
2-Glow Plug Relay - VW 171 911 261E (Came with the set of glow plugs listed next)
3-Glow Plugs - Bosch 0 250 201 032 x3 and unknown N191006X (Set was given to me by a friend)
4-Glow Plugs - Beru 0 100 221 105 601 MJ

I tried the #2 relay, didnt work with my existing glow plugs, sorry, dont know the number yet, havent removed them. I know that some are the 'slow' type (like me) and some are fast (like you!).

So - Can anyone please answer the following:

1-Am I on the right track with my startup problems or does something else not sound right?

2-As far as I have gone, am I diagnosing the parts correctly, and if not, can someone please give me simple, detailed directions. I am a newbie, willing, but still a newbie.

3-Are the Berg glow plugs the right ones for my existing setup (IE glow plug relay #1) or would they work with relay #2?

4-Are the #2 and #3 glow plug set the correct one for my 97 Jetta 1.9 (Canadian) IDI, and if not, what are they for?

5-Which type are these glow plugs and relays, slow or fast?

6-Am I missing a fuse or connection or something else? Ive read through the Hayes and Bentley manuals...

and finally

7-Does anyone have a scan or the information from the owners manual or elsewhere that describes the cold start knob function? All my manual says is that 'it will be discontinued in the current model year' - IE to be replaced by the TDI - d'oh! If I drive with it pulled, does it use more fuel? is there a negative effect ot driving with it pulled? I dont always do that, but sometimes forget to put it back in. I would like to know exactly what it does, and what the consequences are.

Thanks a bunch in advance, please reply with any help ASAP.

Rico

crx
01-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Well I kinda skimmed through your post but if you run through the glow plug cycle two or three times before trying to start that usually works (turn key till glowplug light goes on wait for it to go off then turn the key back and do this again 1 or 2 more times). This is what I have been doing and I have not had any problems starting. :)

ricosuave
01-01-2004, 05:55 PM
thanks crx,

i used to do that before i had this problem. my guess is there is something wrong with the glow plug system that has slowly deteriorated from running ok, to cycling the glow plugs on and off a few times, to now having nothing. thanks for the input though.

rico

hockeybronx
01-01-2004, 10:29 PM
Hey just a thought, this may not solve the problem. Canadian Tire sells 'battery blankets' for like 30 bucks. Apparently they take in the heat from your engine and keep the battery warmer for long amounts of time, you may wanna try it out.

I have a 99 2.0 L and it doesn't have a block heater in it so I'm looking into these battery blankets.

nismodrifter
01-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by hockeybronx
I have a 99 2.0 L and it doesn't have a block heater in it so I'm looking into these battery blankets.

bah...screw your 2.slow :D you should have gotten a diesel
Also pretty sure that a battery blanket is not going to help start his car up :D

I am guessing you should change the glow plugs since you have already changed the relay. We had the same problem with the benzo, wouldn't start even in like -5 degree temperatures. We checked out each glow plug, only like 3/5 were working so 2 new ones were put in. The thing started beautifully even in like -20 :D I am guessing it's alot simpler system in our 23 year old mbz but still the same system in your TDI, either going to be the glow plugs or relay most of the time.

Again, I am not an expert either (my dad is the diesel doctor of the house :D ) but I'd say some of your glow plugs are gone since the thing is still having trouble starting even after changing the relay (which IMO you should have looked at second...after looking at the glow plugs first).
Can't tell you from experience on veedubz yet as our 01 TDI is still problem free when it comes to the engine (and I hope it stays that way for sometime to come :D)

check out www.tdiclub.com for more help though