PDA

View Full Version : East Indian Food

Hakkola
01-01-2004, 04:58 PM
Just curious where everybody goes and what's the best. I'm getting some tonight to eat at home and usually get it from Rajdoot, I like it but I'm wondering if there's some place better. Price isn't really a big deal, just looking for good butter chicken and Naan bread.

FiveFreshFish
01-01-2004, 05:05 PM
I've been to the Tandoori Hut in Kensington. Pretty good food for reasonable prices. They also have a buffet lunch.

Other Indian restaurants in Calgary (http://www.discovercalgary.com/Calgary/Restaurants/IndianPakistani/)

EK 2.0
01-01-2004, 05:08 PM
MMMMM...Butter Chicken...:drool:

Well, take it from a coconut...For those who dont know...thats brown on the outside and white on the inside...Moti Mahal is good...they are down on 17th Ave by the Chocolate Bar...

For butter chicken, really an Indian mother cannot be beat, but...There are a few butter chicken places in town...one if the Samosa Garden right by the Peter Lougheed in the NE...as well as a new place, its kinda pricey for the portions, but GREAT food...its on 16th Ave right by the old WCB place...and on MacLeod Trail...the place that is painted like the Taj Mahal...MMMMM good food....Take a look at those places...Although, I am not too sure what would be open today so...OH OH OH and the Clay Oven...

And a lil secret from me to you...Butter Chicken...is really easy to make...it kinda stinks up your home...But really easy nonetheless...and as for Naan you can pick that up and any east indian gocer and cook that shiznit up...

Hakkola
01-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

For butter chicken, really an Indian mother cannot be beat, but...

:werd:
But my neighbours are out of town...

Yeah, we've made butter chicken before but my moms not doin well and I'm lazy, and you can even get Naan bread at Safeway, but it sucks.

I know Rajdoot opens at 5 cuz I called there earlier, I'll check out the other places, thanks.

kevie88
01-01-2004, 05:25 PM
I really like Glory Of India on 4th street across from ceasers, they're currently my favorite Butter Chicken. I like Namskar on 16th ave, they're pretty tasty too.

For great take out in the northwest hit up Curry n' Hurry at the top of 14th street. They're another of my favorites but it's not an eat-in place. If you go there, tell them Kevin and Rekha sent you!! :thumbsup:

1badPT
01-01-2004, 05:27 PM

...and on MacLeod Trail...the place that is painted like the Taj Mahal...MMMMM good food....

I can vouch for Taj Mahal - I haven't been to many Indian restaurants here in Calgary - Taj Mahal really is the only one. I guess its so good, I haven't bothered looking for another. Damn now I'm craving some!!

max_boost
01-01-2004, 05:27 PM
What is butter chicken? I've heard a lot about it...

-RSeXy

kevie88
01-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT

I can vouch for Taj Mahal - I haven't been to many Indian restaurants here in Calgary - Taj Mahal really is the only one. I guess its so good, I haven't bothered looking for another. Damn now I'm craving some!!

hehe.. a friend of mine was a restaraunt inspector for the government and he said whatever you do, never, ever eat at the Taj Mahal! He wouldn't elaborate but he said the restaraunt is very un-sanitary. I've avoided the place ever since!:barf: :barf:

EK 2.0
01-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

hehe.. a friend of mine was a restaraunt inspector for the government and he said whatever you do, never, ever eat at the Taj Mahal! He wouldn't elaborate but he said the restaraunt is very un-sanitary. I've avoided the place ever since!:barf: :barf:

You ever been to india Bro??...they like to give everyone a Taste of the Old Country...literally...

EK 2.0
01-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
What is butter chicken? I've heard a lot about it...

-RSeXy

Its a curried chicken...with a base of cream, and believe it or not whipped cream...you eat it with Naan, or "flatbread" or rice..I LOVE it with rice...

And as for Naan...just pick some up from a E.I. grocer and you get the good shit...

And I am craving some too...I am gonna ask mommy to make some now...

1badPT
01-01-2004, 05:39 PM

Seemed clean enough to me. :dunno: Ignorance is bliss I guess. If he thought it was so horrible, and he's a restaurant inspector, why didn't he shut it down?

kevie88
01-01-2004, 05:49 PM

You ever been to india Bro??...they like to give everyone a Taste of the Old Country...literally...

haha, not yet, but we're planning a trip to go in the next 5 years. My G/F is indian and I think we're gonna do a wedding there as well as here. Should be fun!

Seemed clean enough to me. :dunno: Ignorance is bliss I guess. If he thought it was so horrible, and he's a restaurant inspector, why didn't he shut it down?

I believe they did at one point but I could be wrong. He had no reason to lie about it, so I trust him.

pinoyhero
01-01-2004, 05:50 PM
I like Maurya in Kensington best.

1badPT
01-01-2004, 05:51 PM
I'm just really skeptical about things. I enjoy going there, so I'd go there again, but I'm open to trying new places. I went there mainly because I lived at Glenmore and MacLeod and it was close by - now that I'm downtown everything is close by.

nismodrifter
01-01-2004, 05:51 PM
mmm...butter chicken :drool:

I feel sorry for you white boyz who are missing out on all the great indian food :D :D :D

1badPT
01-01-2004, 05:53 PM
I don't miss out - I just have to pay for it when I have it :tongue:

tegdream
01-01-2004, 06:09 PM
yeah cyclone is right, the ei mother is best for butter chicken...mmmmmmmmm

lotta good places, clapy oven behind t&t honda is good!so are all the places everyone said i here!

/////AMG
01-01-2004, 06:51 PM
My dad friends owns Mango Shiva, right by TD Square...been there a few times and its really good:thumbsup:

even though its an asian chef he knows what hes doing, he makes some good food :drool:

Ajay
01-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Butter chicken is pretty pimp. A friend's mom makes THE best butter chicken I've ever tasted in my life. It's literally to die for.

Moti Mahal is pretty good for butter chicken as well. Definetly a good place to check out.

szw
01-01-2004, 08:15 PM
indian food in calgary is way too expensive! good and cheap in toronto! Ethnic diversity :clap:

EK 2.0
01-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by szw
indian food in calgary is way too expensive! good and cheap in toronto! Ethnic diversity :clap:

And Van City too

1badPT
01-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Yeah on Gerrard in Toronto 4 samosa's were one dollar, and they were to die for. Here you pay like $6 for 3 and they're "good"

-250-
01-01-2004, 08:26 PM
There is one in castle ridge.. cant rember then name FUDGE!!!!!

They make the citys Best Sweet meats

/////AMG
01-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Yeah on Gerrard in Toronto 4 samosa's were one dollar, and they were to die for. Here you pay like $6 for 3 and they're "good"

:drool: :drool: Somasa's :drool: :drool:

Yea, and they Cheaper in Edmonton aswell, like 3 for $1 or something.

The best shit is from India though, so damn good over there

EK 2.0
01-01-2004, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Porsche_944

:drool: :drool: Somasa's :drool: :drool:

Yea, and they Cheaper in Edmonton aswell, like 3 for $1 or something.

The best shit is from India though, so damn good over there

"Jhu" guys just dont know the right people...Indian Food is like drugs...if you have the connections, you can get the good shit...

And stop talking about indian food...now my mommy has to make Butter Chicken and Samosa's...

But you all have to try Biriyani...Specifially Beef...MMM MMM Good...

Also, the Chicken Tikka, and Roti and Daal, and Subhji, and Aloo Naan, and Cookoo Paka, and Man oh man we have some good food...

If you all want some good E.I. Veggie, try out An Purna I think that is how you spell it...that place is good for da veggie hook up...Its on the corner of 52st and Memorial in the S.E. Kitty Corner it the B.K.

Another place I think its kinda new on 17th...well "International Avenue"...is Baba Cadaba's...again I think that's how you spell it...that place is kosher...

dasdin
01-03-2004, 02:27 AM
for good butter chicken go to bombay sweet house in castleridge
very nice food
i have work their for many months
they are just starting 2 pay me $10 a day
very nice peoplee
i am very gratefule 2 them for giving me chance to survive

Davetronz
01-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by dasdin
i have work their for many months
they are just starting 2 pay me $10 a day
very nice peoplee
i am very gratefule 2 them for giving me chance to survive
Dude if you are getting $10/day then there is a problem.
Try $10/hr unless you are severly under the table employment?

hondarunner
01-03-2004, 02:40 PM
serengettis or just some good ol home cooking:drool:

Melinda
01-03-2004, 02:46 PM
my best friend is east indian so I get to eat her mom's cooking :drool: but we went to glory of india in december and it was great! Even the first timers to indian food loved it!

Dj_Stylz
01-03-2004, 03:02 PM
My mom makes me all this great food ahha!!! Taj Mahal is great same with Glory of india also Bombay Sweet House. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JAYMEZ
01-03-2004, 03:06 PM
i love going to Taj Mahal , but i love eating Boulty chicken , but they only make it in my home country(UK) and India.

I also like Tikka i think its called?

EK 2.0
01-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
i love going to Taj Mahal , but i love eating Boulty chicken , but they only make it in my home country(UK) and India.

I also like Tikka i think its called?

:werd: TIKKA ROCKS...

1badPT
01-03-2004, 04:14 PM
I used to have something and I wish I got the name of it because it was great. It was like a curry with spinach and potatoes. Anyone know what I'm talking about? :confused:

Also, my roommate in Toronto tried to teach me how to make pekoras (sp?) but the first time I tried it on my own, i ended up with a deep fryer full of potato and onion shavings. :dunno:

nismodrifter
01-03-2004, 04:33 PM
I used to have something and I wish I got the name of it because it was great. It was like a curry with spinach and potatoes. Anyone know what I'm talking about? :confused:

Also, my roommate in Toronto tried to teach me how to make pekoras (sp?) but the first time I tried it on my own, i ended up with a deep fryer full of potato and onion shavings. :dunno:

hahah...pakoras = :drool: especially on a cold day

JAYMEZ
01-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Im hungry now lol :drool:

1badPT
01-03-2004, 06:01 PM
I know, I gotta stop reading this thread!! *MUNCHIES*

/////AMG
01-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Yea this thread is making me drool :drool:
and my mum won't make anything for me :rofl: :rofl:

nismodrifter
01-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Yea this thread is making me drool :drool:
and my mum won't make anything for me :rofl: :rofl:

haahha pwn3d!!!!

my mom just made some good food for me right now.....I am going to go eat mauhauhauhaua ;)

/////AMG
01-03-2004, 06:29 PM
damn you this is :bullshit:

lol i'll just go to a resturant:thumbsup:

EK 2.0
01-03-2004, 06:35 PM
damn you this is :bullshit:

lol i'll just go to a resturant:thumbsup:

No matter the resturant man you KNOW it cant beat an E.I. mommy...and mine made me some Butter Chicken today...with the fluffly warm Naan....

:drool:

So you all can go scarf down your Big Macs...I am off to a taste of India...:drool:

inawiJ
01-03-2004, 06:48 PM
the best restaurant for butter chicken is dawaat in downtown forget where it is but its amazing i also heard glory of india is pretty good too

/////AMG
01-03-2004, 06:50 PM

No matter the resturant man you KNOW it cant beat an E.I. mommy...and mine made me some Butter Chicken today...with the fluffly warm Naan....

:drool:

:werd: :werd: true true man

kevie88
01-03-2004, 06:51 PM
I made a Tikka Masala chicken on Basmati Rice for dinner tonight!! :D:D

What are the little spice seeds that they put in the Basmati at restaraunts called? That's about all I'm missing from the rice and it would be a perfect dish :D

dasdin
01-03-2004, 06:54 PM
dont eat 2 much paki foood orr ull have major problems in the stomach
trust me i know!
ull be on the toilet all night long witht that hot shit

1badPT
01-04-2004, 06:52 PM
If you eat like a pig, any food will give you "major problems in the stomach" if you eat enough of it. ;)

pinoyhero
01-04-2004, 07:23 PM
I find the only thing that sucks about going out for Indian is the portion size, its so damn small. Does anywhere serve good food in larger portions I've been to Glory, Maurya (the best IMO) and some place on 4th street across from the tin palace (the worst in my opinion)?

dasdin
01-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by FastDak318

Dude if you are getting $10/day then there is a problem.
Try $10/hr unless you are severly under the table employment?

yes i jet paid 10 dalllars a day but i think i jet a raise soooon its a lot of money for my parents bacck in gujarat India , they can alsmot buy a shack....i love my job

thanks DAS

szw
01-04-2004, 07:41 PM

yes i jet paid 10 dalllars a day but i think i jet a raise soooon its a lot of money for my parents bacck in gujarat India , they can alsmot buy a shack....i love my job

thanks DAS

Yeah, too bad you're not in india anymore. Are you an illegal immigrant?

nismodrifter
01-04-2004, 07:57 PM

thanks DAS

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

good pay man...10 dallar phor bun day berk....bery good man

EK 2.0
01-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

good pay man...10 dallar phor bun day berk....bery good man

Hunjhi bhoth bilkul achaa che...Jhu knowing dat 10 dallars phur day get jhu bery bery nice wooden hut not jus the clay one...

rogue
01-04-2004, 08:31 PM
i for get the name i think it is himilayan kitchen or something but it is a Nepalese restaurant and as you know the food is pretty much the same. You should try it out the food is great,

dasdin
01-04-2004, 08:44 PM
no i am not landed! i have some worries on my hairy chest to rid me off i dont knwo what to do bhaisabs

tegdream
01-04-2004, 08:50 PM
hahahaahh so much brownnesss in here!!!!!

nickyh
01-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Clay Oven - behind T&T Honda.
I recommed the Lamb Saag.... just make sure you ask who is cooking - if it's Aunty and you can't handle heat get mild, if it's Uncle - order how you please.

dasdin
01-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by nickyh
Clay Oven - behind T&T Honda.
I recommed the Lamb Saag.... just make sure you ask who is cooking - if it's Aunty and you can't handle heat get mild, if it's Uncle - order how you please.

that is very true but i always extra hot so they know i was there when i leave the bathrrom on my way out....if anything is hot and spicy, its the toilet after im done with it!

1badPT
01-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Just a wee bit too much info :eek: :nut: :rofl: :rofl:

sputnik
01-05-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by szw

and winnipeg

sputnik
01-05-2004, 02:18 PM

And as for Naan...just pick some up from a E.I. grocer and you get the good shit...

Its better freshly baked... and is really easy to make...

Ingredients

1 kg flour;
1 tbsp dry yeast;
1 tsp sugar;
2 tsp salt;
3/4 cup milk ;
3/4 cup water;
2 tbsp butter or margarine.

Instructions

Makes 11-12 nan.

Combine ingredients, cover and let dough rise 2 hours.
Talk small chunks and make flat naans on a floured board.
Put batches in oven at high temperature under grill for ~ 1 minute (both sides).

Ajay
01-06-2004, 02:58 AM

If you all want some good E.I. Veggie, try out An Purna I think that is how you spell it...that place is good for da veggie hook up...Its on the corner of 52st and Memorial in the S.E. Kitty Corner it the B.K.

That place on the corner of 52ST and Memorial is called Anpurna and that place is the BOMB for dosa's.

As far as I know that's pretty much the only place in Calgary that serves dosa's.

wanna-be
01-06-2004, 10:20 AM
kevie, ur gf is indian huh?

u guys go to UofC?

legendboy
01-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Calgary Sweethouse butter chicken ownz me:drool:

EK 2.0
01-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
Calgary Sweethouse butter chicken ownz me:drool:

Calgary Sweethouse or Bombay Sweethouse??

legendboy
01-06-2004, 11:20 AM
52nd and 8th ave S.E.

myra
01-14-2004, 02:11 AM
I'm new to Calgary and I'm wondering where I can find an East Indian Grocery...preferably in the NW.

Thanks!

Dj_Stylz
01-14-2004, 08:27 AM

thanks DAS

Are you Gujarati?

EK 2.0
01-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by myra
I'm new to Calgary and I'm wondering where I can find an East Indian Grocery...preferably in the NW.

Thanks!

Dont know about the N.W....but he N.E. is loaded with E.I. grocers...

jdmakkord
01-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Wholy shit, 2 pages and I just notice this thread??? Hands down, Mango Shiva down in penny lane is the shit!!!!!! The absolute best atmosphere you could have for a brown restaurant...its pricy but worth it if your on a date. Tandoori hut is great too, rajdoot has changed owners 4 times in the last 5 years and went from an award winning restaurant to less than average. Mauyra is nice, but the service is slow as shit. The new bombay sweethouse should be good, havent tried them yet, but the family has 20 plus years experience in town(they were the first pak restaurant/sweethouse).

myra
01-14-2004, 02:14 PM

Dont know about the N.W....but he N.E. is loaded with E.I. grocers...

Thanks! Do you know of any good ones in particular? And where in the NE I might find them? I've only been to Marlborough in the NE so far.

EK 2.0
01-14-2004, 02:45 PM
There is...

Continental which is behind Stampede Toyota off of 32nd Ave

OK General which is in Rundle again, just off of 32nd Ave

Oh in the southeast just off of 17th Ave (international avenue) and 52nd Street is Spiceland...

Those are three my parents frequent so...

/////AMG
01-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Wholy shit, 2 pages and I just notice this thread??? Hands down, Mango Shiva down in penny lane is the shit!!!!!! The absolute best atmosphere you could have for a brown restaurant...its pricy but worth it if your on a date.

:werd: :werd: Not only a date man for everything! They're food is great, I wouldn't be surprised if the won some kind of award.

jdmakkord
01-14-2004, 07:02 PM

:werd: :werd: Not only a date man for everything! They're food is great, I wouldn't be surprised if the won some kind of award.

At taste of calgary they did.....

Navhoot
01-15-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
I like Maurya in Kensington best.
MAURYA no doubt!

kevie88
01-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by wanna-be
kevie, ur gf is indian huh?

u guys go to UofC?

Sorry I didn't see this until now! Yeah, my G/f is Indian, but she goes to school in Saskatoon (law). I'm here toiling away at my day job waiting for her to come back :nut:

Originally posted by Navhoot

MAURYA no doubt!

I went there with my G/f's mom a few years ago but haven't been back since. It was fantastic! I gotta go again, thanks for reminding me!

Dj_Stylz
01-15-2004, 08:07 AM
LOL:thumbsup:

DeSi
01-15-2004, 09:23 AM
dont eat 2 much paki foood orr ull have major problems in the stomach
trust me i know!
ull be on the toilet all night long witht that hot shit

yeah if ur a biatch with a weak ass stomach, ah well, i guess its not your fault your diet consists of tv dinners and kd.

EK 2.0
01-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by DeSi

yeah if ur a biatch with a weak ass stomach, ah well, i guess its not your fault your diet consists of tv dinners and kd.

Hey Hey...I KNOW this is an E.I. food thread...but man dont be hatin on the K.D....

sandman
01-15-2004, 12:13 PM
:rofl: play nice mukh, not all our moms can cook as well as urs
no joke some of the best ive had,

jdmakkord
01-15-2004, 12:22 PM
I made a Tikka Masala chicken on Basmati Rice for dinner tonight!! :D:D

What are the little spice seeds that they put in the Basmati at restaraunts called? That's about all I'm missing from the rice and it would be a perfect dish :D

Fennel seeds

kevie88
01-15-2004, 01:41 PM
YEAH!! I'm off to the Indian supermarket tonight! :clap:

Originally posted by jdmakkord

Fennel seeds

Marsh
02-08-2004, 03:12 PM
:poosie: :poosie: :poosie:
:drool: :drool: :drool: