PDA

View Full Version : Easy fit after market Stereo

Klutz
01-01-2004, 05:39 PM
Happy New Year!!!!

I bought my 17 year old daughter an 87 Daytona, and have done some work and it is now on the road.
It has the origional CRAPPY AM/ FM radio that came with the car. She doesn't have a lot of money, since she is saving for University next year, but wants to get somthing cheep but acceptable to replace it.
Does anyone have an idea of what would be a good AM/ FM /CD stereo for this car? Meaning, I would not have to rewire the entire thing. Or, if somone has one they want to sell, CHEEP, let me know.
I have never seen a stock radio, like this, with two plug ins in the back, so like I said, I don't want to re wire the whole car.
Thanks
Paul

1badPT
01-01-2004, 05:42 PM
When you say plug ins, are they wire harnesses? Cuz if so the wiring will be really easy. If not :dunno:

As for stereos, you generally get what you pay for, but if she wants something cheap that's built ok, I like the Panasonics - nothing fancy but the quality is pretty good and the price is probably right in the range you're looking to spend.

Klutz
01-01-2004, 05:54 PM
Yes, they are the origional wiring harnesses. I have a Sony in my TR7, and a Kenwood in my Buick. Put them both in myself, but there were'nt near as many wires in and out as with this thing:dunno: :dunno:

1badPT
01-01-2004, 06:09 PM
Are you planning to buy from a place like futile shop? They do installs themselves and with the boxing week sales on, you might be able to get that for free.

Many of the wiring harnesses plug right on to the aftermarket stereos, so all you have to worry about usually is mounting - but given the car's age, I'm not sure if anything will be missing from the harness or if the shapes are different. I guess I was thinking maybe someone put in an aftermarket radio, and pulled it out when you bought it so the harnesses would be there already. If you're sure they are the factory harnesses then I wouldn't be able to say for sure.

Hash_man
01-01-2004, 06:18 PM
You will most likely have to get a wiring harness adapter, which you usually have to for most aftermarket stereos.

And for something fairly inexpensive, I would go with either a Pioneer, or a cheaper Alpine. Both are very good decks, and can be had for fairly cheap.

Weapon_R
01-01-2004, 08:48 PM
There are some very nice units being sold in our marketplace. I remember seeing a couple for under $100. There is even a nice pioneer stereo (which is a very good make) for around 80 dollars.

Klutz
01-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Good idea! to start at the marketplace on this forum. I have a buddy that lives up on Hawkstone in the land of the Stamps. He could pick up somthing if I see it out there, and bring it next time he heads here for a visit.
.:thumbsup: