PDA

View Full Version : Question Concerning FEMALE Safety on BUS STOPS - early morning/late evenings

dingbathero
10-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Hello,

I have a friend, who is female, and has been attacked before by 2 men. It did not happen in Calgary - but it's on her mind that it COULD happen again.

She will be taking public transit soon, and is VERY concerned.

She will be working downtown. As the winter is upon us, it gets lighter later in the day and darker earlier in the day, there is the concern.

I said I would ask on here, to get some feedback and issues if anyone has dealt with this.

I know there are not a whole lot of females on here... so I'm not sure what to expect for asking (other than the usual)

Where can I get WASP SPRAY, as it would/could be useful for a subsequent attack and a mini air horn?

Thanks all.

I am not sure what section this should be in?

Cheers.

Kloubek
10-26-2010, 01:33 PM
The air horn is not ideal, since it has to be pressed when she could really use a hand free. Perhaps the automatic siren where she just pulls a pin and it goes off?

And you speak of WASP spray. Not sure exactly what that is, but you can still find bear spray in camping shops which should do the trick. I even ordered some pepper spray from the US (ebay), and while the first shipment was stopped at the border, the second shipment made it through fine. (After I advised them customs may not want to see the words "pepper spray" on the label)

bituerbo
10-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Heavy Duty maglite (or smaller flashlight w/ strike bezel) and some self defense classes.

Awd-Tsi
10-26-2010, 01:37 PM
just carry a machette and you're good to go.

LadyLuck
10-26-2010, 01:37 PM
While I can't really give any valuable advice for taking transit (I drive), one of my friends has one of these that she used to carry on her whenever she would walk home from work and let me tell you...those personal alarms are LOUD AS HELL! I tried it once and if the sound itself wont scare off any attacker...someone should be able to hear it and help her out.

here's the site, hope it helps a little.

Personal Alarms (http://www.streetdefender.com/)

GREENBOY
10-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Er, this is Calgary...one of the safest cities in the world.

Kloubek
10-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by GREENBOY

:facepalm: Yeah right... nothing EVER happens here.

spike98
10-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Heavy Duty maglite and some self defense classes.

This. I would go one step further on the flashlight and get a tactical defence one. Its smaller and is easier to handle. Blindly bright and has a spiked sorta end on it for strikes. Best of all its completely legal.

The problem with mace, battons,brass knuckles and the like is that they are illegal to carry and she could get in trouble.

Ultimatley however, there is no replacement for training. If she is scared shitless then she will be to scare to defend herself. Confidence and technique will go much further than any weapon.

LadyLuck
10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by spike98
Confidence and technique will go much further than any weapon.

http://www.ps3blog.net/wp-content/uploads/groin-kick.jpeg

:D

G-ZUS
10-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by spike98

The problem with mace, battons,brass knuckles and the like is that they are illegal to carry and she could get in trouble.

Pepperspray is not

clem24
10-26-2010, 01:51 PM
I'd say the self defense course and confidence building classes and peer support network to get over her fear... All you guys telling her to carry stuff on her, she sounds like a firecracker ready to go off at any time. If you say she's NERVOUS, then I think not only will she think the whole world is out to get there, but it can also make her a target. This is just a recipe for disaster. I mean it sucks that she's been attacked in the past but she needs to get over it and rebuild her self-confidence.

Even if it is dark out earlier, downtown is always busy up until at least the early part of 6PM, then goes dead in a hurry. If she's that scared, call a cab if she has to work after hours. Simple.

In any case, I think Calgary is a fairly safe city, especially downtown at night.

RizenSun
10-26-2010, 01:53 PM
My friend was on the train before and this hobo just started jerking off infront of her... not exactly an attack but there are some effed up people out there... I suggest PepperSpray for sures and maybe some sort of whistle or audible alarming sound... Peace Officers around usually but we all know they are just there for show :rolleyes:

Xtrema
10-26-2010, 01:54 PM

While I doubt anything will happen, it more about peace of mind.

Going to downtown won't be a problem. But don't leave DT any later than 5:30 if she has a problem with questionable looking people. She'll feel safer when there is a bigger crowd around her.

Mitsu3000gt
10-26-2010, 01:54 PM
The Shooting Edge sells "Dog Deterrant Spray" which is a small, portable mace canister ideal for joggers, commuters, etc. Every time I go to TSE there is a little box of it on the counter, it isn't expensive.

What bus stops will she be waiting at, if any?

C-train platforms in rush hour are packed with business people, students, DT commuters, etc., and IMO not dangerous at all. If she drives to the train station, only takes the train, and does so in rush hours, I don't think she needs to worry too much.

When I took transit every day, I would see maybe 1 transit cop a month, if that. So, security is zero. I always commuted in peak rush hours, and in 15 years or so of taking it, I don't think I felt unsafe even once on the train.

If I had to wait outside at bus stops in the NE, and/or walk a long distance home, I would be nervous though.

With winter approaching though, one thing she can count on is 1+ hour delays, many times per week, courtesy of Calgary Transit.

Xtrema
10-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
If I had to wait outside at bus stops in the NE, and/or walk a long distance home, I would be nervous though.

Yeah, I hope she doesn't live in NE. Again, not much will happen during rush hour but it definitely won't help her phobia.

bituerbo
10-26-2010, 02:01 PM
What bus stops will she be waiting at, if any?

WHOOP WHOOP
PERV ALERT!
WHOOP WHOOP

Mitsu3000gt
10-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo

WHOOP WHOOP
PERV ALERT!
WHOOP WHOOP

Damn was it that obvious?

Back to the drawing board.

spike98
10-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Pepperspray is not

Under Canada's Firearms Act, pepper spray is considered a prohibited weapon, meaning it cannot be produced or sold in Canada. According to cbsa.asfc.gc.ca, Canadian law also prohibits the manufacture, sale and use of products that are similar to pepper spray, and specifies that any gas, powder, or liquid spray that is capable of injuring or immobilizing a person is prohibited (this includes the brand-name product Mace).

Source:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html#P002

So yes, pepper spray is illegal.

Bear mace and dog mace are not however. But the intention to use them on person for harm makes them illegal.

Also, its not an effective weapon for self defence against a personal attacker. When these animal defence weapons are used in close proximity they can also effect the person operating the weapon.

Bear mace and dog mace are to be used at larger distances and expel approriately. If used on a close attacker, back spray would definatly be a concerning occurance.

CUG
10-26-2010, 02:38 PM
A lot of any issue like what she's concerned about is the ability to keep a calm and level head while affecting an escape. If she's unable to control that, pepper spray and weapons is not the way to go.

It takes as much confidence and clarity to deploy a weapon of those types, as it takes to call say the alphabet or tie your shoes while in that sort of duress.

It's my understanding that this confidence comes from experience and training.

If she wants a false sense of security, give her a knife and a can of expired bear gas.

If she wants to be effective - training.

n1zm0
10-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
:facepalm: Yeah right... nothing EVER happens here.

yeah especially not beltline/downtown stuff, no indecent act/groping stuff happens there ever

http://crimemap.calgarypolice.ca/ , pick sex offence/past month/beltline and downtown commerical , nothing ever happens here right?

odin7
10-26-2010, 03:18 PM
Meh.. no city in the world is going to be able to get away from violence completely. Calgary is one of the safest cities in the world without a doubt.

And I agree with CUG, you could give her a gun but if she has a phobia of walking around in the dark the only thing that will help her is a self-defence class of some sort.

dingbathero
10-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the incoming repsonses...

She does WORK downtown during the day, but the bus heads SE/NE after work.... her stop IS NOT downtown, her living place I should say.

I will send her the link to this, see what she thinks and then I'll post again.

Much Obliged guys!

Thanks again.

GQBalla
10-26-2010, 03:26 PM
spy shop on macleod and theres a spy store on 17th that sells dog spray and bear mace.

the dog spray is easier to carry though

Kloubek
10-26-2010, 03:30 PM
A small can of pepper spray is the sort of thing the cops turn a blind eye to - as long as they do not think you are going to use it for criminal purposes. And the reason it is prohibited is because of the latter.... not because they want to keep innocent people from protecting themselves.

The cops found pepper spray in my car after I was pulled over one night, and gave it back to me. That's how much they don't give a shit. Mind you, I was pleasant and it was pretty obvious I had no intentions of holding up a store with it.

I wouldn't worry about spray wafting back towards the user either. Yeah, it does happen, but 90% of it is thrown in the direction of the attacker, and I don't know about you, but I'd gladly be 10% incapacitated if it means my attacked is 90% so.

A knife or gun is not a very good idea. Most women would be hesitant to use it due to (broad brush here) their unwillingness to hurt another person. Now all of a sudden, it becomes a weapon that might turn out to be more useful to the attacker than anything.

Before my girlfriend had a car, she waited at the bus stops in Bowness and didn't feel that comfortable. I gave her a small can of pepper spray and a personal siren. We both felt a lot better after that.

whiskas
10-26-2010, 03:36 PM
If she leaves downtown before 6 she'll be OK, there's loads of people on the sidewalks as well as cars on the road.

It's only until late at night that some areas south of the train tracks, the east village area and parts of china town get sketchy.

supe
10-26-2010, 03:38 PM
The solution right here:

Using Magazine as Weapon for Women's Self Defense

http://www.ehow.com/video_4467605_using-weapon-women_s-self-defense.html

yeahyeah
10-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Calgary is only #55 for most dangerous...

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/10/14/the-good-bad-and-ugly/

stay outta red deer ya hurrd!

eb0i
10-26-2010, 04:32 PM
What I suggest for safety while walking/waiting for bus/c-train is to not listen to iPods or any other device as it can be distracting. If she needs to listen, have the volume at a level where you can still here around you.

Stand near the emergency phone at stations, or stand underneath lights. Stand with groups of people. Always be aware of your surroundings.

Even with more people in the city nowadays I find the bus stops/ctrain stations are still pretty safe.

Benny
10-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Tell her to shit her pants anytime she feels threatened. Who'd wanna go near that? :eek:

GREENBOY
10-26-2010, 05:39 PM
I'll say it again, it always stuns me how scared people are in this city of essentially nothing. The fear of crime and concerns about personal safety are way out of proportion to the actual threat, which is ridiculously low. Crime is always dropping and we are all very safe. By all means know how to handle yourself but there's nothing to be scared of people. You're probably more likely to die from the stress of being so scared by everything.

Benny
10-26-2010, 05:43 PM
I'll say it again, it always stuns me how scared people are in this city of essentially nothing. The fear of crime and concerns about personal safety are way out of proportion to the actual threat, which is ridiculously low. Crime is always dropping and we are all very safe. By all means know how to handle yourself but there's nothing to be scared of people. You're probably more likely to die from the stress of being so scared by everything.

It's a lot harder to make that point to someone who has already been attacked.

zipdoa
10-26-2010, 08:51 PM
The basics of Ninjutsu:

Knee to the groin
Thumb to the eye
extended knuckles to the wind pipe
grab chestplate
flat palms clapped over aggressors ears (VERY effective, deafens/disorents)

seriously, fuck all other martial arts, if you want to know how to END LIVES, take ninjutsu.

Go for BJJ if you want to wrestle with your bestfriend.

GTS4tw
10-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Pepperspray is not

My mom got hers taken away in a traffic stop, cop said it was illegal.

colsankey
10-26-2010, 10:49 PM
It usually comes down to intent, if they ask why you have pepperspray, the smart awnser is you like to run/jog and it's for dogs. If you say its to defend yourself, the land of rainbows and sunshine says that it is illegal to carry a weapon.

Kari_310
10-26-2010, 10:54 PM
I have to work late from jan-april each year so i am usually outside in downtown anywhere from 8-11pm looking for a cab.
I have never felt unsafe looking for a cab. I tend to stay away from the train stations because that late at night they don't run too often and some sketchy people hang around there. As for bus stops I wouldn't probably like catching the bus on 7th ave, i always find thats where the most homeless people are.
but really who is there really to be scared of.. the only people wanting to steal your purse would be the drugged up people (crack heads) and they havent eaten in days. im sure i could outrun them/win over a struggle. and most of the time they have a better chance of getting money just from asking so that happens much more often.

creeper
10-27-2010, 03:39 AM
I'll say it again, it always stuns me how scared people are in this city of essentially nothing.

:werd:

creeper
10-27-2010, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

My mom got hers taken away in a traffic stop, cop said it was illegal.

So just go out and get another one.

Myrrinda
10-27-2010, 08:02 AM
During the winter I usually work late, and I feel pretty uncomfortable taking the train in the dark. I had a guy once start screaming and swearing at me because I 'stole' his seat. He was clearly mentally ill, and I wasn't sure if he'd be violent or not, so I sat near the help button. If he were to touch, I would have hit it. I would say a whistle is a good thing to carry around her neck. Weapons can be dangerous if a victim isn't prepared to use it because in a lot of cases the attacker can take it from her and use it against her. A whistle will just call unwanted attention. Also, yell 'fire'.

st184
10-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Lol this is Canada, everything you can carry that would be remotely useful is outlawed. Best thing to carry is a cell phone, and wait the 3 hours for CPS to come while you get raped/beaten. Don't like it, I suggest you move somewhere that actually has freedoms left.

in*10*se
10-27-2010, 09:14 AM
you should just drive and park underground. if safety is THAT important. You can afford this.

[/thread]

D'z Nutz
10-27-2010, 09:21 AM
dingbathero: like some people have said, if your friend is commuting during the day, she has absolutely nothing to worry about, especially if it's during the rush hour period. I've been coming from the NE to downtown and back for the last 12-15 years and I've yet to be hassled or witnessed anyone else be hassled by any shady people (save for the few occasions someone's asked me for a light). Same thing with even off hour commuting. I even commute to the SE (forest lawn) from time to time and same deal. Anyone who says otherwise is a fear mongerer who is afraid of his or her own shadow. If a little old lady can take the c-train and bus from Chinatown to the NE at 9pm at night, I'm sure your friend has little to be concerned about. The only people who should bother your friend are loud ass high schoolers who like to fire off their mouths in public.

If your friend has anxiety with taking public transit, I'd suggest she avoid taking the c-train downtown on Sundays until she's a little more confident. There's a lot of sketchy people wondering around downtown then, but even then they're nothing much to worry about.

Originally posted by creeper
So just go out and get another one.

Yeah, except this time get a mom that can defend herself without the need of pepper spray.

GTS4tw
10-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Yeah, except this time get a mom that can defend herself without the need of pepper spray.

lol, my mom worked for 20 years as a tire retreader, routinely throwing 100+ pound semi tires into the back of 18 wheelers, I bet she could kick your ass.

The pepper spray was canadian tire bear spray and it was for backpacking and defending against......BEARS!! The problem was that she carried it in her vehicle, which some people here have suggested, thus my mentioning the fact that a police officer told her it was illegal.

Cos
10-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Martial arts or another self defense class.

D'z Nutz
10-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw
lol, my mom worked for 20 years as a tire retreader, routinely throwing 100+ pound semi tires into the back of 18 wheelers, I bet she could kick your ass.

Hey man, I'm not ashamed to tell people when I've been spanked by other peoples' moms, especially ones who are experienced and skilled at wearing down rubber!! :eek: :whipped:

Scat E46
10-28-2010, 01:22 AM
\The only people who should bother your friend are loud ass high schoolers who like to fire off their mouths in public.

Fuck do these types piss me off. They were doing there hold the rails and do a backflip type thing. Problem was, his foot hit my knee on the way down. So I just stood up, pushed him aside and took this girl I was with, with me to the different part of the train.

The entire 15 mins left, had 10 retards just yelling "Oh if he gets off here gonna get his ass kicked", "what a fucking retard", "stupid chinese bitch too" (she was viet anyways). Some older people were like just dont respond its not worth it.

So true. Didnt say a word back, left the train, they just stared and continued on their way.

Also, riding the train now as I don't have a car, I have only been checked once in 2 months by an officer..... I found this interesting.

J-D
10-28-2010, 01:23 AM
That CPS Crime Mapping tool shows 105 Sex offences in the last week in the city... What exactly constitutes a sex offence? Jesus.

V6-BoI
10-28-2010, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Thumb to the eye
extended knuckles to the wind pipe

:werd: :werd:

I was gonna suggest thumb to the eye but you beat me to it. I think this is probably the best tactic to take down someone (providing if your hands are free of course).

Never thought about attacking the wind pipe, but I can see how that can do a lot of damage too.

Maxx Mazda
10-28-2010, 06:00 AM
My girlfriend carries a small can of bear spray (about as big as a roll of quarters) just in case.

GTS4tw
10-28-2010, 06:42 AM

Hey man, I'm not ashamed to tell people when I've been spanked by other peoples' moms, especially ones who are experienced and skilled at wearing down rubber!! :eek: :whipped:

:rofl: I asked for that.

D'z Nutz
10-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Haha yeah, it couldn't have been set up any better than if I typed it for you :rofl:

dingbathero
10-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks all. Since I posted this thread and she has read it, she is somewhat relaxed about it.

It is something she will have to get better with, as I posted in the beginning she HAS been attacked before and yes it's probably not something she can just shrug off. I wouldn't know as it's never happened to me.

She is currently looking into Self Defence classes and bear spray.

She has also been talking to other females to get a gauge on how they feel about transit.

To those who have responded with helpful insights, thank you.

Mitsu3000gt
10-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Bear spray typically comes in very large cans, I think what she should look for is Dog Spray. Again, The Shooting Edge sells it if she can't find it anywhere else.

My ex has been stopped by the police for running with it before and they didn't take it from her, they just said she shouldn't have it and kind of looked the other way.

KO22
10-28-2010, 10:04 AM
go to the dollar store at heritage plaza.. theres dog spray/pepper spray or whatever there, and also the hemp store on fairmount drive if there places are still there and in business.. big time thugging back in beav highschool years ago these were the places to go hahahah :banghead: :poosie:

Tik-Tok
10-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Scat E46

Also, riding the train now as I don't have a car, I have only been checked once in 2 months by an officer..... I found this interesting.

Next username "Scat_LRT"?

Mitsu3000gt
10-28-2010, 10:12 AM

If you ride during peak rush hour, you don't even need to ever pay the fare. Transit cops won't get on a train that is so packed people's faces are pushed up against the glass on the doors. I know people who have never paid a dime for transit use and have been using it for years. On the off chance you do get caught, the odd fine ($150, or used to be anyways) is WAY cheaper than buying monthly bus passes at their outrageous price.

xxviet
11-19-2010, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by LadyLuck

http://www.ps3blog.net/wp-content/uploads/groin-kick.jpeg

:D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Disoblige
11-19-2010, 04:01 AM

Yeah, it is always like this, but do you really want to be caught when they actually do check?

Technically, you can always get away with it, because you can be on the lookout as the train is about to stop and see if there is an officer about to board and check. But who is cheap enough to do that every single time and also have to get off the train to wait for the next one?

Fortunately, our stations are built in a way that is so cramped that enforcing tickets at the station with a decent amount of traffic is pretty much impossible. :D

If you ride during peak rush hour, you don't even need to ever pay the fare. Transit cops won't get on a train that is so packed people's faces are pushed up against the glass on the doors. I know people who have never paid a dime for transit use and have been using it for years. On the off chance you do get caught, the odd fine ($150, or used to be anyways) is WAY cheaper than buying monthly bus passes at their outrageous price.
Exactly. And the people who pay for tickets during Stampede time either going to Victoria Station or leaving Victoria Station.. :facepalm:

copynpaste
11-21-2010, 04:11 PM

If I had to wait outside at bus stops in the NE, I would be nervous though.

Ya god forbid anyone who has to go up to the NE...the browntown side not my side, might as well count your blessings.

Avoid that area at all costs, thats where most of the murders happened last year and this year, the marlborough ctrain area.

Or put a set of these on your purse.

http://images.buyninjacostumes.com/ninja-sai-blades.jpg