PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen Fill

maxpol
10-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Hey Guys, I want to fill my winters with Nitrogen and I know Costco does nitrogen, but you have to buy tires from them. Anyone have experience with nitro filled tires? Good/bad? and where can I fill without buying tires from them?

Thanks

Cos
10-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Air is 78% nitrogen. I think putting nitrogen in is a great PR campaign to waste money.

Unknown303
10-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Air is 78% nitrogen. I think putting nitrogen in is a great PR campaign to waste money.

This. Even after repeated refills with normal air if the other molecules are leaking out somehow you'd just be left with more and more nitrogen in them. So eventually by putting normal air in your tires you should have almost 100% nitrogen some day.

Although you should have really said dry air contains roughly (by volume) 78.09% nitrogen.

Zewind
10-26-2010, 07:02 PM
From what ive heard - if you need to refill your tires you have to book a time to get in.

Cos
10-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Zewind
From what ive heard - if you need to refill your tires you have to book a time to get in.

http://ask.cars.com/2010/04/if-my-tires-are-filled-with-nitrogen-can-i-refill-with-regular-air.html

revelations
10-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Cos

:werd:

Whenever I see the green valve covers I think of the phrase "a fool and his money are soon parted'.

Boost Infested
10-26-2010, 08:05 PM
i lulz at customers who asks about "Do you have nitrogen air here?"

speedog
10-26-2010, 08:07 PM
My brother (who owns his own automotive maintenance shop) says selling ordinary joes nitrogen for their tires is gravy money - I asked him about nitrogen in tires and he said that it's waste of money for pretty much everyone unless they're at the track in a highly competitive racing series where a tire going down slowly could make the difference between being in the money or not. And for the record, they fill tires at their shop with regular air unless the customer asks for nitrogen - not sure though if they enlighten customers or not with regards to nitrogen versus regular air though.

b18cr
10-26-2010, 08:28 PM
its just another cash cow for those higher end dealerships, they actually suggest every year you should fill out your old nitrogen for new nitrogen @ $100 per tire/ plus taxes, all your really paying for is shiny green valve caps.

dj_rice
10-26-2010, 08:31 PM
I get my nitrogen freeeeeeeeeeeee at work :)

But yes just a cash cow, works on Infiniti customers everytime but not so much on Nissan customers.

Muji
10-26-2010, 08:41 PM
I have found no one who is not directly benefiting from the sale of nitrogen air to be for it. I can see if you are a track racer, every edge counts and adding all the hundreds of tiny edges can add up to a couple of percent.

94boosted
10-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Boost Infested
i lulz at customers who asks about "Do you have nitrogen air here?"

:rofl: Some people are in disbeleif when you tell them air is 78% Nitrogen

Sugarphreak
10-26-2010, 10:47 PM

Scuderia
10-26-2010, 11:47 PM
LOL the funniest was when I worked at Minit Lube at Crowfoot, stuck up fuckheads would come in and get ass-raped for an $85 oil change on their shitty cars, and when I asked if they wanted their tire pressures checked, they would look down on me and crudely say "No, they have nitrogen".

Scat E46
10-27-2010, 01:33 AM
The only time nitrogen should be in a tire, is when the the tire of that vehicle takes off from a runway.

Just a big LOL.

Pollywog
10-27-2010, 02:35 AM
Take it from a guy who sells nitrogen generators all day...

Its ultra-hype, and ultra-unnecessary.

msommers
10-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Well I learned something haha

tirebob
10-27-2010, 08:07 AM
I too agree that nitrogen is unnecessary for day to day use where with a simple tire pressure check on a regular basis is absolutely fine. It is oriented more towards racing and long haul applications, where the fact that pure nitrogen being a more stable gas will help control tire pressures better (ie it doesn't expand or contract the same as normal air) which also helps control tire temperatures, helping to shave thousanths of a second off of lap times or increasing the life of tires over very long periods of time where checking the pressure on a regular basis just isn't done often...

BUT

I have been starting to see a real benefit over the last couple years when it comes to all the newer vehicle equipped with tire pressure sensors in the wheels. The stupid things (which in my mind is just another gimmick) frequently go off just from drastic changes in the outside air temperatures. Today is +5 degrees, but you wake up tomorrow and it is -20 degrees, and your driving to work on the deerfoot and your warning system starts tripping balls because the cold air has caused a drop in all the tire pressures, so you pull over in a dangerous spot unaware that there is nothing wrong at all and it is only a false warning due to the temperature...

In this type of application, because pure nitrogen does not contract or expand because of the temperature drop, people get far fewer false warnings. So if you use pressure sensors in your vehicle during winter, this can actually be a very nice benefit to using nitrogen.

We are even looking into getting a system as we speak now, but I don't have any plans to charge extra simply for a fill when installing tires (I see this as a bit rediculous), but if someone wants to take up shop time to have all their tires drained on their car and refilled, there may be a nominal charge for the time as we only have one bay so any car in it would be taking up the time of a normal money making job...

Cos
10-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by tirebob

I have been starting to see a real benefit over the last couple years when it comes to all the newer vehicle equipped with tire pressure sensors in the wheels. The stupid things (which in my mind is just another gimmick) frequently go off just from drastic changes in the outside air temperatures. Today is +5 degrees, but you wake up tomorrow and it is -20 degrees, and your driving to work on the deerfoot and your warning system starts tripping balls because the cold air has caused a drop in all the tire pressures, so you pull over in a dangerous spot unaware that there is nothing wrong at all and it is only a false warning due to the temperature...

I see exactly what you are saying, just a counter point, it isnt a false warning as your tire pressure has actually dropped below what the setting says is an unsafe tire pressure. I know during the winter I usually have to inflate my tires a bit more than what I run in the summer.

Sugarphreak
10-27-2010, 08:51 AM

n1zm0
10-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Scat E46
The only time nitrogen should be in a tire, is when the the tire of that vehicle takes off from a runway.

Just a big LOL.

yeah big LOL for sures, i can't believe automotive industry pushes nitrogen in your tires BS to the point that ppl actually believe this crap and even then... the piston singles and even twin engine aircraft i work on all use regular fken shop air year round no exceptions, winter summer, fall, spring and believe me they go through ALOT more abuse than your winter tires do

tirebob
10-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Cos

I see exactly what you are saying, just a counter point, it isnt a false warning as your tire pressure has actually dropped below what the setting says is an unsafe tire pressure. I know during the winter I usually have to inflate my tires a bit more than what I run in the summer.

It is not necessarly an "unsafe" drop in pressure when all 4 go down buy 4 or 5 pounds because of temps. The system was more designed to indicate a single tire drop in pressure, so if one tire suddenly went down 5 psi more than the other tires, then the indicator tells you an issue is there. Remember, even though the temp may have caused them to drop, as the tire warms with driving it will also rise. Tire manufacturers take fluctuations with temperature into account when designing and building tires, so any temp fluctions should not cause an unsafe issue if the tires have all been properly inflated under normal conditions...

revelations
10-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

yeah big LOL for sures, i can't believe automotive industry pushes nitrogen in your tires BS to the point that ppl actually believe this crap and even then... the piston singles and even twin engine aircraft i work on all use regular fken shop air year round no exceptions, winter summer, fall, spring and believe me they go through ALOT more abuse than your winter tires do

Its been a few years since, but dont the heavy iron use Magnesium alloy wheels? If so, Nitrogen is really the only choice as the metal would oxidize quickly when exposed to air at evelated temperatures.

Tomaz
10-27-2010, 03:59 PM
I have free nitrogen from my dealer, so I take it.

I personally do not see the benefit of nitrogen filled unless track or long-haul, but whatever floats the boat.

At the same time, I had the same tires for 65,00kms without a fluctuation in pressure.

crapstixs
10-29-2010, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by tirebob

It is not necessarly an "unsafe" drop in pressure when all 4 go down buy 4 or 5 pounds because of temps. The system was more designed to indicate a single tire drop in pressure, so if one tire suddenly went down 5 psi more than the other tires, then the indicator tells you an issue is there. Remember, even though the temp may have caused them to drop, as the tire warms with driving it will also rise. Tire manufacturers take fluctuations with temperature into account when designing and building tires, so any temp fluctions should not cause an unsafe issue if the tires have all been properly inflated under normal conditions...

it depends on what tpms system is in the car, there is direct and in-direct systems. a direct system uses sensors in the wheel, if any pressure in any wheel is not in the given range the car will tell you what tire is low. a in-direct system uses the wheel speed sensors. as the pressure in a tire drops the circumfrence gets smaller thus a slower wheel speed. if three wheels are going 60 and one wheel is going 55 the tpms light is going to come on and just say you have a low tire. you could put 5psi in all your tires and not set off the light.

gm has a tsb saying nitrogen is the greatest shit around, volvo has a tsb saying its the dumbest shit around. where i work head office forced all of our locations to get nitrogen, all of the owners were super pissed off because the machine runs on a 13:1 ratio, so in most casses you have to buy a bigger air compressor also. so now this is going to be like $30 000. but then again it only takes a few years to pay off and you make a tonne of cash off it.
i know of a shop that dosent even have a nitrogen machine but has a bag of green caps. and they charge $7 per tire for "nitrogen"

Cos
10-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by crapstixs

it depends on what tpms system is in the car, there is direct and in-direct systems. a direct system uses sensors in the wheel, if any pressure in any wheel is not in the given range the car will tell you what tire is low. a in-direct system uses the wheel speed sensors. as the pressure in a tire drops the circumfrence gets smaller thus a slower wheel speed. if three wheels are going 60 and one wheel is going 55 the tpms light is going to come on and just say you have a low tire. you could put 5psi in all your tires and not set off the light.

gm has a tsb saying nitrogen is the greatest shit around, volvo has a tsb saying its the dumbest shit around. where i work head office forced all of our locations to get nitrogen, all of the owners were super pissed off because the machine runs on a 13:1 ratio, so in most casses you have to buy a bigger air compressor also. so now this is going to be like $30 000. but then again it only takes a few years to pay off and you make a tonne of cash off it.
i know of a shop that dosent even have a nitrogen machine but has a bag of green caps. and they charge $7 per tire for "nitrogen"

99% correct. If the tire deflates the wheel has to spin faster.

SKR
10-29-2010, 07:46 AM