PDA

View Full Version : Finance Career Help

TunerBaby
10-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Need advice on getting into the finance industry.

Completed CSC (Canadian Securities Course)
Completed DFC (Derivatives Fundamentals Course)
Completed OLC (Options Licensing Course)
Got honours if that makes a difference.

Currently debating whether to hold off on finding a job or go for DMS Designation.

Looking at a career path towards trader and have no experience beside trading for my own account (2-3 years) everything from stocks, options, futures, & foreign exchange.

TYMSMNY
10-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Theory is great but job experience is even better. You can always work and get your dms. You'll need your Conducts and Practices handbook (CPH) and WME and you're good to get started as a rookie.

Mckenzie
10-26-2010, 11:07 PM
All of the big banks banks have rotation programs that run you through the different trading positions. A friend of mine is at TD on Bay Street and was offered FT on the FOREX desk after his first year. The positions are HIGHLY competitive and your honors and other courses will help for sure, but you have already missed the recruiting season for next year. Look into it on their website. I have seen a couple that come up mid season too. Check the uni career sites and Calgary CFA society jobline.

TunerBaby
10-27-2010, 02:31 AM
Recently I was browsing through entry positions and even those require four year degree as requirements. Those rotation programs and internships also have requirements of being in your last year of undergraduate degree. I have post-secondary experience which I wouldnt put to much weight on beside getting a 3.92 GPA. (SAIT 2 year diploma finance as major)

What rookie job would be available TYMSNNY? (Tried searching some but most require a degree)

TYMSMNY
10-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by TunerBaby

What rookie job would be available TYMSNNY? (Tried searching some but most require a degree)

A rookie broker at a brokerage firm. IF you want to go that route, best place to start a book of clients and trading. You'll learn the actual mechanics of a trade instead of what's on paper.

If you want to start off being a trader, fairly difficult here as most of the actual traders are closer to the markets (Toronto or Van). Also, would be hard to land a job without any experience unless you know someone in the industry.

yourmom
10-27-2010, 07:29 PM
I am right now trying to work my way into a similar career. I have gone back to complete a BCom Degree, and am currently hunting for internships. The problem is most companies are looking for students fresh out of university for their training programs. Or MBAs for the more senior positions. Its a tricky business to get into.

Celica TVS3
10-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Without a degree it will be almost impossible to get a chance at any role in the more competitive wholesale banking arm of the business.

In Calgary there are only a handful of equity traders working for investment banks. Trading gas, power or fx is likely the path with the most number of positions.

Retail is likely your only option, or go back and get a degree. Keep in mind retail brokers are really just sales people not traders.