PDA

View Full Version : OT pay question ?

cgyITguy
10-27-2010, 08:43 AM
I have a question regarding OT pay, someone probably knows the answer to.

I am a salaried employee, who also receives OT pay at 1.5. Now one week i was deathly ill for a day and called in sick for one day of that week. (doesnt happen very often). Later that week I stayed late for 4 hours which I had assumed was OT pay.

I did not receive OT pay based on the fact that I did not work the required number of total hours to make it OT. Now if I'm not mistaken working 12 hours in a day would = 4 hours out based on anything greater than 8 hours in a day regardless of total hours worked ?

I was told had I worked that day that I would have been credited with the OT.

codetrap
10-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Heh.

Did you get paid for staying home deathly ill? If so, then don't get pissy about the 4hrs OT instead of straight pay. I'm sure you've wasted more than 4 hours of company time surfing or dicking around doing other stuff than work.

I can understand your perspective, but you have to remember this, what's the actual cash difference going to be. By the fact that you're worried about it, I'm assuming you don't make a lot of money, so saying you're making $20/hr, you would possibly have gotten paid $30/hr for 4 hours. So, that's $40 before taxes. After taxes, you're talking like $25 difference.

Is it really worth it?

Background: (OP, this may apply to you)
I always hated dealing with employees like this. They're almost always the younger generation who are so concerned with what they're entitled, they lose sight of the bigger picture. That always pissed me off, because they were almost always on top of me over minutiae. Then they wondered why they were passed over for promotion, or not given opportunity vs the guys who were more concerned with "lets get the job done well, and I'm sure the rewards will come".

Just my perspective.

mo_money2supe
10-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Depends what your company's policy's are. I've worked for companies who pay OT after 8 hours in a day no matter how many hours were worked that week. I've also worked for companies that paid OT after 40 hours in a week (44 if Saturdays were worked), which when averaged out becomes 8 hours per day (+4 hrs Sat), but OT only accumulates after the 40 is completed.

On a different note, if you're paid for the hours you worked AND OT, technically you're not a salaried employee. You just have a rounded total salary based on if you were to work 2,080 hrs/yr. True salary pay doesn't allow for OT (sometimes banked time, but at straight pay only or equivalent time off). That's where I'm at now... :( Sometimes I do miss my OT (1.5x hourly wage) and get paid $90k+/yr for a base hourly job equivalent to $52k/yr.

Mar
10-27-2010, 09:24 AM
It's not up to the company's policies, it's in the Alberta Labour Code. Check there for what the required daily hours are before overtime must be paid.

HiTempguy1
10-27-2010, 09:33 AM
I always hated dealing with employees like this.

I'm glad you aren't my employer. I prefer employers that help their employees in meeting their contractual obligations that were SIGNED and AGREED upon when said employee started working for said employer. It is good to know that you are the kind of guy that looks down on employees who are simply asking for what they are owed, and you are trying to screw them out of their pay.

I do work for you, I get compensated for said work REGARDLESS of anything else, especially if the contract specifies what I am supposed to get paid in specific situations. What the hell is the point in working for somebody and having an agreement if you aren't going to get paid what you agreed you would? :nut:

cgyITguy
10-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
Heh.

Did you get paid for staying home deathly ill? If so, then don't get pissy about the 4hrs OT instead of straight pay. I'm sure you've wasted more than 4 hours of company time surfing or dicking around doing other stuff than work.

I can understand your perspective, but you have to remember this, what's the actual cash difference going to be. By the fact that you're worried about it, I'm assuming you don't make a lot of money, so saying you're making $20/hr, you would possibly have gotten paid $30/hr for 4 hours. So, that's $40 before taxes. After taxes, you're talking like $25 difference.

Is it really worth it?

Background: (OP, this may apply to you)
I always hated dealing with employees like this. They're almost always the younger generation who are so concerned with what they're entitled, they lose sight of the bigger picture. That always pissed me off, because they were almost always on top of me over minutiae. Then they wondered why they were passed over for promotion, or not given opportunity vs the guys who were more concerned with "lets get the job done well, and I'm sure the rewards will come".

Just my perspective.

I have to completely disagree with your perspective. Especially when you accuse the younger generation of this. I was not implying I was making a big deal about it and I'm well aware of the difference, but is it not fair to ask a question regarding the loss of income when working a 12 hour day. If I don't then what is stopping my employer from making me work several 12 hours days with no extra compensation ?

codetrap
10-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
I'm glad you aren't my employer. I prefer employers that help their employees in meeting their contractual obligations that were SIGNED and AGREED upon when said employee started working for said employer. It is good to know that you are the kind of guy that looks down on employees who are simply asking for what they are owed, and you are trying to screw them out of their pay.

I do work for you, I get compensated for said work REGARDLESS of anything else, especially if the contract specifies what I am supposed to get paid in specific situations. What the hell is the point in working for somebody and having an agreement if you aren't going to get paid what you agreed you would? :nut:

I never had a problem with meeting the contractual obligations to an employee. And those employees were always kept to the exact letter of the contract. No give and take was utilized with them. To spell this out for you, I was quite inclined to hold them as tightly to the terms of their contract as they held me.

Originally posted by cgyITguy
I have to completely disagree with your perspective. Especially when you accuse the younger generation of this. I was not implying I was making a big deal about it and I'm well aware of the difference, but is it not fair to ask a question regarding the loss of income when working a 12 hour day. If I don't then what is stopping my employer from making me work several 12 hours days with no extra compensation ?
I'm not accusing the entire younger generation, however it was my experience. It quite possibly could have been a function of the industry we're in being dominated by the young. It was also a direct result of the attitude of the employee's. Always confrontational, always assuming (like hitempguy) that we're out to screw them.

What you are both failing to realize is that yes, you have a contract. And yes, you get compensated. Just as I have a contract and I get compensated too. However, there's more to an employer/employee relationship than just the contract. It's about give and take. Take my example now. I'm oncall for roughly have the month. I get usually between 4-5 callouts a week. I may only claim for 2 or 3 of them. If I don't have to actually log into anything, I usually don't claim the OT when I'm paged out a 3am. My manager is aware of this, since we have a daily update email that goes around that says "Paged CT at 3am for this issue." Now, because I've had my beauty rest interrupted, I over sleep until 9am, then login and start my day. Nothing ever gets said about that. Why? Because my management understands that I didn't bill them for 2 hrs OT for calling me in the middle of the night, and they're not going to begrudge me the extra couple of hours sleep.

If I kept to the "contract", sure, I'd have a little extra cash, but I'd better be logged in at 8AM.

Another example, I usually start around 7:30, take a short lunch at my desk, skip most breaks. However, because of this, I take off usually around 4:30ish. Sometimes I stay till 6 if that's what needed. In the reverse, I've never had an issue taking some time to do stuff like get my tires rotated at 11am, then taking lunch, and not having to "punch out".

Yet another example? During a highly busy time in a project, I spent usually around 12-18 hrs a day in the office. I reported the time fairly accurately when I could remember, but I'd tend to err on the conservative side in favor of the company. When it came around to bonus time, and the rest of the team got the typical 8%, I got that, and a grant of stock options, and a cheque as a thank you for your hard work. Totally outside of my contract. I also received a promotion, and a pretty significant overall pay raise.

So, yes, you can adhere exactly to the terms of the contract, and only do exactly what you're contracted for, and enforce the exact terms of your contract with your employer. However, depending on your attitude about it, you're probably limited yourself in your career. I offered that "background" so you'd be able to better understand where I was coming from, and it may or may not apply to you OP. If it doesn' then no worries.

mo_money2supe
10-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Mar
It's not up to the company's policies, it's in the Alberta Labour Code. Check there for what the required daily hours are before overtime must be paid.

Actually, no. The Alberta Labour Law says an employee must be paid OT after 191 hrs (or 192 hrs, can't remember) per month. Anything above and beyond that (ie. OT after 8 hrs/day or 40hrs/week) is stated in the company's policies as per the employee's payment schedule and contract.

mo_money2supe
10-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Ooops...double post.

Tik-Tok
10-27-2010, 10:37 AM
I take it you don't have paid sick days? If you do, then that should be OT, if you don't, then you're S.O.L.

Why would you expect an employer to pay you OT, when you haven't even met your 40 hours for the week? NOTHING is stopping your employer from taking more OT away from you to compensate for that missed 8 hour day (assuming you have no sick days)

I'm on a similar system as you, base salary plus OT. If I earn OT one day, but go home early the next, then those hours missed come out of overtime. Same situation.

chkolny541
10-27-2010, 10:41 AM
i dont think youll get the OT OP, when i worked with the city we had to hit our 40 hr/week to make OT, and it sounds like your company is the same, if you miss a day then you lose any OT that week

deathly ill for 1 day eh? was it the day after thursden

HiTempguy1
10-27-2010, 01:12 PM
However, there's more to an employer/employee relationship than just the contract. It's about give and take.

That varies greatly depending on the field of work you are in, if you are unionized, get job bonuses, etc.

In my line of work, my hourly wage + overtime is all I get. I don't get bonuses, I get a relatively standardized raise, etc. And in my short life I've found you give a little, the company takes and takes and takes.

If I was working in a private business where I had a lot of face time with the manager, I absolutely agree with your point. Bust ass and you should be appreciated. Do the reasonable, helpful actions for the company and hopefully they'll reciprocate.

Mar
10-27-2010, 01:37 PM
http://www.hrmguide.net/canada/law/alberta/overtime.htm

In Alberta, under the Employment Standards Code, overtime is treated on a daily and/or weekly status. Overtime must be paid to all employees (regardless if they are paid a weekly, monthly, or annual salary except if they are exempt) on hours worked in excess of eight hours a day or 44 hours per week, whichever is greater (the higher of the two numbers is overtime hours worked in the week). The overtime rate is 11/2 times an employee’s regular rate of pay unless the employer and employee have entered into an overtime agreement. Some industries have different overtime daily and weekly hours for the purpose of calculating overtime pay.

cgyITguy
10-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
i dont think youll get the OT OP, when i worked with the city we had to hit our 40 hr/week to make OT, and it sounds like your company is the same, if you miss a day then you lose any OT that week

deathly ill for 1 day eh? was it the day after thursden

After more research, It seems it is irrelevant the amount of hours I work in a week. If I work more than 8 hours in a day, i get paid for the extra hours. Period.

As for the other poster that asked if I get paid sick days...of course I get paid sick days, I'm on salary. It seems some of you feel that one should be penalized for calling in sick. If this were the case I would come in anyway and infect every other person in the office, just to make sure i still get paid

sabad66
10-27-2010, 04:07 PM
http://employment.alberta.ca/SFW/1470.html

Official rules from Alberta. Do you fall under any of the 'employees exempt from overtime pay'? Honestly though, as codetrap suggested, is it really worth it to go back and bitch about this? People do remember things like this, and when it comes time for a raise/bonus/whatever, it will probably be considered (even if it's not "official").

cgyITguy
10-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
http://employment.alberta.ca/SFW/1470.html

Official rules from Alberta. Do you fall under any of the 'employees exempt from overtime pay'? Honestly though, as codetrap suggested, is it really worth it to go back and bitch about this? People do remember things like this, and when it comes time for a raise/bonus/whatever, it will probably be considered (even if it's not "official").

I am not an exempt employee, just a regular joe blow employee. As for "bitching" about it, I am merely asking a question to what i am entitled. It is in the company policy to pay overtime....so I see no reason why I shouldn't receive it. That would be like if the company gave you three weeks vacation but it was frowned apon to actually take it, receiving what I agreed in contract to receive should not reflect in any way on my raise or bonus

chkolny541
10-27-2010, 06:38 PM
then go to your emploeyer or HR or whatever and complain to them, please refer to my sig about the "telus" comment, im pretty sure your HR would be able to tell you better then an online forum about how your particular company operates

Cos
10-27-2010, 06:38 PM
I would say because you didnt WORK more than 12 hours in one day or 44 hours in one week I would say they are right.