PDA

View Full Version : Dyson Vacuum?

eblend
10-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey guys,

I got a question. My house is pre-plummed for build in vaccume system, however I do not have the actual vac at the moment. My wife wants me to get a Dyson vacume because it is supposed to be very good. Do you guys have any experience with both and can tell which is better? Do the build in house vacs require a replacement filter and bags, or are the filters washable like on the Dyson?

Also, where is the best place to buy a Dyson vac. We are looking at the small stowaway type.

1slw4dr
10-27-2010, 11:30 AM
My friend is in the vac business and i was told Dycson are absolute garbage:thumbsdow

Mitsu3000gt
I've used both and I like my portable vacuum better. The suction seems to be better because it doesn't have to go through 50' of pipe or whatever. For a big house though the built in vac wins due to convenience.

I looked at Dysons and ended up with a Kenmore. Consumer Reports had rated it much higher than the Dysons as well. The Vacuum guy at SEARS who seemed to know his stuff prefered them over Dyson as well, saying that you pay a premium for the name. Dysons are great vacuums but IMO far from the be all end all vacuum that people make them out to be.

Another thing is that I was about to buy an upright vacuum, but I ended up with the canister style. So much easier to clean under beds, furniture, use attachments, etc. Easier to store as well.

After much research I have this one (I think..based on the pic) and I couldn't be happier:

http://www.kenmore.com/shc/s/p_10154_12604_02021514000P?vName=Home&cName=Vacuum+Cleaners+%26+Floor+Care&sName=Canister+Vacuums&prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=L5

It has multiple releases, HEPA filter, storage for attachments, super long self-retracting cord, it's fairly quiet, never loses suction and the bags are a breeze to change with zero mess (also I think I needed to change the bag once in an entire year, vacuuming 2-3 times a week) Build quality is top notch.

spike98
I have never used one but i have been doing some research on getting one. I have read nothing but positive reviews. BUT (there is always a but haha) they are extremely expensive. For a dyson ball upright your looking at almost a grand!

I would just spend the bank to get your central vac installed.

ericchoweg
10-27-2010, 11:31 AM
my parents have the dyson ball and they love it

it was kind of expensive i thought when they first got it but it works really well and doesnt upset my sisters asthma

they got it from the bay iirc

theken
10-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Vacuum. House vacuums are generally canister type and decent, we own a normal vac as well as they are way easier to just pull out and use. Either way it depends on if you want to have hoses and shit everywhere or a single unit.

lint
10-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Got 2 dysons, upright and the handheld. Love em. Everyone I know who owns them loves them too.

House has a central vac, I use it when I'm in the garage.

tictactoe2004
10-27-2010, 11:39 AM
I replaced a $350 Kemore vacuum that was less than one year old with the one of the Dyson Ball vacuums, I could not believe the difference. They don't lie when they say it doesn't lose suction, it's SUPER easy to use around the house, it's so nice not having to worry about vacuum bags...

We've owned it for about 2.5 years now, it still works as good as it did on day one... I highly recommend Dysons to anyone in need of a vacuum.

jazzyb
10-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Dyson > any other vaccum

sillysod
10-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Built in vacuum is 100% better than any other type of vacuum, not even close.

The reason some have crappy suction is people undersize their unit. Buy a big unit with 2 or 3x the suction of a portable vac and your are set.

Remember that everything that goes in the hose on a built in stays in the cannister or if it makes it through the filter it vents outside of your house.

bjstare
10-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
Built in vacuum is 100% better than any other type of vacuum, not even close.

The reason some have crappy suction is people undersize their unit. Buy a big unit with 2 or 3x the suction of a portable vac and your are set.

Remember that everything that goes in the hose on a built in stays in the cannister or if it makes it through the filter it vents outside of your house.
:werd:

The house we just bought has a central vac, and my wife loves it. She wanted a Dyson before, but not now :)

eblend
10-27-2010, 12:42 PM
think I decided on a central vac after talking to a co-worker. Is external venting necessary? My house previously had a central vac and there was no external filtering, but it was removed when i took possesion. I watched some install videos and they say that it isn't necessary to run venting outside..thoughts?

The foot operated dust vent for the kitchen was a cool idea when I told me wife about it a while ago, not I can use it to sell her on the central vac. Really at the end I doubt she will care, I do all the vacuming in the house haha

gts_gurl
10-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Had central at my old place and I hated it, barely any suction goin on... Have a dyson now (the pet one) and I love it!

kevie88
10-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by 1slw4dr
My friend is in the vac business and i was told Dycson are absolute garbage:thumbsdow

You were told wrong.

Dyson owns all vacuums. I've never had a better Vac.

Sugarphreak
10-27-2010, 12:48 PM

austic
10-27-2010, 12:56 PM
I have had my DC25 animal for a year and love it. My dad tried it loved it and bought one for himself even though they have a vaccuflow. I would check out costco as they seemed to have the best set up and price

codetrap
10-27-2010, 01:00 PM
I have this..

The Boss (http://www.eurekavac.ca/centralvacs/CV1004D.shtml) installed in my garage, and I did the plumbing for the pipe and receptables in my house. I think it pwns any handheld vac that I've ever used. I have been thinking about plumbing the venting outside. It currently vents into my garage, but I've never noticed any dust or anything coming out of it. A plus is that it pumps heat into my garage pretty fast in winter. :)

I also added a garage plug so that I could use it to do the cars, and bought the garage hose for it. Single best investment for cleaning so far. 3 Years so far, and it'll still outsuck my shopvac.

http://www.eurekavac.ca/centralvacs/images/CV1004D_large.png

kevie88
10-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
I have this..

The Boss (http://www.eurekavac.ca/centralvacs/CV1004D.shtml) installed in my garage, and I did the plumbing for the pipe and receptables in my house. I think it pwns any handheld vac that I've ever used. I have been thinking about plumbing the venting outside. It currently vents into my garage, but I've never noticed any dust or anything coming out of it. A plus is that it pumps heat into my garage pretty fast in winter. :)

I also added a garage plug so that I could use it to do the cars, and bought the garage hose for it. Single best investment for cleaning so far. 3 Years so far, and it'll still outsuck my shopvac.

http://www.eurekavac.ca/centralvacs/images/CV1004D_large.png

Whoa, that thing looks pretty serious!

lint
10-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Some people don't want to drag 30' worth of vacuum hose all other their houses, or wind up 30' worth of hose to store, or drag 30' of hose up and down the stairs. Not to mention it's unwieldy and scuffs up the floors, walls and baseboards.

codetrap
10-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

You were told wrong.

Consumer Reports disagree's with you.

Originally posted by lint
Some people don't want to drag 30' worth of vacuum hose all other their houses, or wind up 30' worth of hose to store, or drag 30' of hose up and down the stairs. Not to mention it's unwieldy and scuffs up the floors, walls and baseboards.
I put a nice hose cover on the hose, and it's never scuffed anything. Also, it's a helluva lot lighter than carrying a vacuum around the house, up and down stairs. Storage wise it takes up almost exactly the same amount of space.

I have used both, a lot. I'm neurotic about keeping the floor clean, and I have a dog that sheds.

kevie88
10-27-2010, 01:25 PM

I disagree with many things CR says also, so the feeling is mutual, lol.

trieuth
10-27-2010, 01:31 PM
We've got the dyson and love it, we use it over the central vac.

eb0i
10-27-2010, 01:31 PM
I have a Dyson Ball upright for my condo and it is terrific. It was expensive but worth every penny. The only thing I don't like is it being bagless. I hate emptying the canister, I prefer to empty bags out as it feels cleaner.

I used to own the really small ball upright Dyson and I found that one to be way too weak though and it didn't seem to do a very good job so I exchanged it for the larger ball upright.

Wrath
10-27-2010, 01:35 PM
We have the had the Dyson Animal for 5 years. It has been awesome. It's actually too powerful as it grabbed a thread from out cheap builder berber carpet and created a huge run. It still has all the power it had 5 years ago.

It has been a great purchase

Redlyne_mr2
10-27-2010, 01:53 PM
I hated having central vac, it's such a pain and doesn't have the suction of my vacuum. Those who say Dyson aren't good have never owned one. I've owned 3 vacuums since I've had my place and finally bit the bullet and bought a Dyson. I have a dog that sheds and it picks up the dog hair like nothing I've ever seen. They also hold there value extremely well if you ever decide to sell it. I would highly recommend Sears as Dysons are the same price everywhere and the guys at Sears know there stuff and offer great service.

codetrap
10-27-2010, 01:53 PM

I disagree with many things CR says also, so the feeling is mutual, lol.

Hahaha. Can't argue with that.

Mitsu3000gt
10-27-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't think anyone is saying Dyson isn't good, only that you can buy an identically performing vacuum for half the price. A couple of my friends have Dysons and they are good but nothing special IMO - the guy at Sears told me the same thing. They are like Apple, they can charge a huge premium for the name yet there are other companies who do the same thing or better for much less money.

As for the Consumer Reports test, if I am remembering correctly, they just dirtied different surfaces/carpet in various ways and ran the vacuum over it a certain number of times. I disagree with some of their testing too but this seemed to be a fairly reasonable way of testing vacuums, I don't know how you would do it any differently.

shadowz
10-27-2010, 02:31 PM

You were told wrong.

I had spent close to $700 on two other units and finally got a Dyson ball the animal version. Currently using it 3 times a week (dog sheds like crazy) no issues going on my second year of owning it. All the others either started blowing dust around, or the belts would wear out

craigcd
10-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Dyson Animal FTW- i hate dragging the hose around the house! The only thing I like about central vac is the sweaper/distpan thing that you can get installed.

syeve
10-27-2010, 03:18 PM
IMO electrolux is the only way to go. I love mine.

TYMSMNY
10-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Picked up a Dyson in the states about 3 years ago... absolutely an animal STILL. Dog hair over the course of owning it and it keeps sucking hard. highly recommended despite the $$.

Redlyne_mr2
10-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by syeve
IMO electrolux is the only way to go. I love mine.

Electrolux are awesome as well, just a bit harder to find and to service. As for consumer report there opinions and reviews are terrible. Take everything they claim with a grain of salt.

anarchy
10-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by lint
Got 2 dysons, upright and the handheld. Love em. Everyone I know who owns them loves them too.

House has a central vac, I use it when I'm in the garage.

+1

I have both as well and they are amazing. The costs are high but they're worth it. Plus I bought mine refurbished off the Dyson Canada website so they were pretty decently priced, and they are practically brand new.

The only downside is the time the handheld lasts. I forget how long it was but a full charge only gives you 5 minutes or something.

Xtrema
10-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Central vac sucks (not in a good way). Too much hoses to lug around and doesn't clean well.

There are many models that perform similar to Dyson now. But nothing can compare to the ease of use of Dyson Ball.

redsrt4
10-27-2010, 10:33 PM
we are using dyson for our cleaning business and we love it..

almerick
10-28-2010, 08:50 AM
We have the Dyson Ball at home, bought it through a friend at Futureshop a few years ago. It's pretty awesome and it comes with a bunch of other things such as carpet cleaner/spot cleaner/wet cleaner etc.

interlude
10-28-2010, 11:25 AM
I have the dyson animal ball vacuum. I can honestly say this is the best vacuum I have ever used. We used our old vacuum (new filter and about 1.5 years old) vacuumed the whole house. Started up the animal and vacuumed over and the canister was full of crap!

Tik-Tok
10-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Dysons are really good, maybe not worth the high price, but definitely good. We have one as well, and like it, but I've only ever owned 3 vacuums in my life, so it's not like I can critically rate it against others.

I HATE built in vacs, our rental had one, and I couldn't stand lugging the hose around, and it scuffed up the baseboards and walls (as mentioned already)

sillysod
10-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by eblend
Is external venting necessary?

yes, vent it outside. You can vent your dryer inside too, but why?

As far as suction goes there is nothing even close to a built in vac -- if you buy a decent one. Common sense tells you that bigger motor = more suction. Portables have to be light weight so people can pack them around, if it was 60 lbs nobody would be able to carry it up the stairs.

Vacuums performance is measured in Air Watts.

Just FYI, I have a middle of the road Vacuflo 760.

Vacuflo 760 = 886 air watts
Vacuflo 960 = 990 air watts
Dyson DC07 = 270 air watts
Miele S7210 = 280 air watts
Dirt Devil = 130 air watts

You can also buy a crappy Broan from home depot that is about 450 air watts.

http://www.martingordon.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/the_more_you_know.jpg

Mitsu3000gt
10-28-2010, 01:47 PM
Do you lose air watts when you have 50' of pipe and 30' of hose that it has to suck through though? Or are those air watts measured right at the motor?

tobypaddock
10-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by spike98
For a dyson ball upright your looking at almost a grand!

what are you talking about? you can get the dc24 for $499
and i just picked up the dc25 for $599. the most expensive ball upright is $699 - exaggeration much??:dunno:

tobypaddock
10-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Do you lose air watts when you have 50' of pipe and 30' of hose that it has to suck through though? Or are those air watts measured right at the motor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwatt

Air watts measured at the vacuum's motor can differ by as much as 50% (depending on the type of vacuum) from the air watts measured at the end of the hose. This is most noted in central vacuums.

Mitsu3000gt
10-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by tobypaddock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airwatt

Air watts measured at the vacuum's motor can differ by as much as 50% (depending on the type of vacuum) from the air watts measured at the end of the hose. This is most noted in central vacuums.

Thanks, I figured as much. It looks like it would be difficult to do any meaningful comparisons between canister and built-in vacuums based solely on air watts.

tobypaddock
10-28-2010, 02:29 PM
exactly, all i know is that after vacuuming twice with my kenmore upright, and then immediately using a friends dyson, I emptied the canister once and then filled it half full again just going over where i went with the kenmore (3 bedrooms, 1 hall, stairs and a living room)
i went out and bought a dyson of my own and will never look back. and the last place i lived had a built in and whenever u went downstairs while someone was vacuuming all you could smell was dust

prodigydud
10-28-2010, 02:41 PM
exactly, all i know is that after vacuuming twice with my kenmore upright, and then immediately using a friends dyson, I emptied the canister once and then filled it half full again just going over where i went with the kenmore (3 bedrooms, 1 hall, stairs and a living room)
i went out and bought a dyson of my own and will never look back. and the last place i lived had a built in and whenever u went downstairs while someone was vacuuming all you could smell was dust

I often hear of this comparison. Has anyone ever tried the opposite? For example, vacuum with the Dyson first, then go over the same area with your original Kenmore?

Just sayin :dunno:

tobypaddock
10-28-2010, 02:44 PM
ill try that in a couple days when i need to vacuum next :)

Maybe ill sprinkle that carpet powder stuff on the carpets first and see how much (if any) the kenmore misses, otherwise i dont think there will be much to pick up...

Redlyne_mr2
10-28-2010, 02:49 PM

what are you talking about? you can get the dc24 for $499
and i just picked up the dc25 for $599. the most expensive ball upright is $699 - exaggeration much??:dunno:
I bought the dc25 as well but the guy at Sears also gave me all of the extra accesories included with the $699 verson for free.

A3GTiVR6SC
10-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Tristar>Dyson

JDMMAN
10-28-2010, 08:00 PM
My Dyson works wonders! :thumbsup:

ipeefreely
10-29-2010, 04:04 PM
We bought a Dyson when we bought our house, expensive but it works great... It's almost retarded much stuff it picks up even when the carpet looks clean after a week! :nut:

They are all the same price everywhere (like Apple products) and most stores will include the extra accessories for free.

Picked mine up from Future Shop because I had a gift card from work.

Onassis
10-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Dysons are well worth the money, I can't wait for the Air manipulators to drop.

Chandler_Racing
10-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Dyson builds a pretty solid product.

I purchased this unit (http://www.sears.ca/product/dyson-dc21-12-amp-bagless-canister-vacuum/620-000669044-12970-01) and remember being amazed how much dirt, hair, fibers, etc the product would pull out when we first moved into our house.

speedog
10-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Was in the market last year for a new vacuum - was considering a central vacuum but decided to go with a regular vacuum. Seriously considered a Dyson, but in the end went with a Miele - much better built, way quieter and cleaned just as well if not better in demonstrations that we saw.

rinny
10-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Buy a quality Bissell vacuum from Sears for ~$240 and save the rest of the money to hire a maid throughout the year to clean up after your ass.

Same quality of cleaning experience

Isaiah
10-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
...After much research I have this one (I think..based on the pic) and I couldn't be happier:

http://www.kenmore.com/shc/s/p_10154_12604_02021514000P?vName=Home&cName=Vacuum+Cleaners+%26+Floor+Care&sName=Canister+Vacuums&prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=L5
Mitsu researches the shit out of everything he buys. Car, camera, audio equipment, vacuum. Trust me, if anyone anyone researches his purchases before he buys it's this guy. I would take his advice.

yycdawson
10-29-2010, 10:07 PM
If you're going to get a Dyson. Get it straight from Dyson (refurbished). We bought one and it works awesome (full warranty). Free shipping and much cheaper than in store.

http://www.english.dysoncanada.ca/specialOffers/gradedSales.asp

calgary350z
10-31-2010, 10:00 PM
anybody wants a dyson I will cut an amazing price as most places dont discount them. Just come see me at my store (Deerfoot Meadows FS). I have sold over 15 to family and friends as well as I own an animal and a new handheld for small stuff. I am a manager so I dont make commsion just willing to give beyonders a great price while getting my store some buisness.

Just pm me the model you want and I can quote you

eb0i
11-01-2010, 11:15 AM
to append to my last post. I first bought a DC24 and the size was great (as it was nice and small for the condo) but the power was horrible. It couldn't pick up everything on carpet/hardwood. So I exchanged it for the DC25 and haven't looked back since!

r3ccOs
11-01-2010, 02:55 PM
I own a Dyson DC07 - an old one with fewer cones than the latest generations.

It is a fantastic vacuum, but is it worth the cash? I say yes, because you're buying the technology, which works...

It traps and locks such granular particles with great amount of force, and the newer ones are better (i've heard only slightly so I've yet to upgrade)

As to durability? I've owned this model for 5 years, worry free

Mind you, its a vacuum and its not used 24/7... but so far its been solid.

I've also owned a Kirby (G5?) and a Miele... and I can say that the dyson can clean as good as them, without requiring a bag, which is a HUGE plus.

The other thing, is that they claim that it traps almost what 9n of particles, which ensures that what you're sucking up, isn't going back into the air.

Toma
11-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by prodigydud

I often hear of this comparison. Has anyone ever tried the opposite? For example, vacuum with the Dyson first, then go over the same area with your original Kenmore?

Just sayin :dunno:

Yup... its exactly the sales trick the steam clean companies "sell you". THey show oyu how disgusting the water is after.

Well.... try it immediately after,a dn the water will STILL come up dirty.

I have a Dyson Animal, and I have a central vac at a place I rent. I can tell you, that the Dyson is NO COMPARISON to the central vac. The Central will suck a golf ball through garden hose. I have a 30 foot hose, and a 15, and you pick your weapon for the job. Way easier than lugging around a whole vacuum, plus I have all sorts of attachments....

You can also add a soft cover to the hose if you are worried about scuffin floor or baseboard.

And MAN, can the central clean a frikkin car carpet. Spotless!

Plus, the bagless crap... oh my, I do hate that with both units.

At my own house, I stayed with a TWENTY year old electorlux. Canister, custom longer hose to make stairs easier. Bags, and a filter. Kicks ass, and it's CLEAN to empty and use.

Toma
11-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Remember.... most Vacuum rapair shops can get you longer or shorter hose, hose covers for any vacuum.

They also have the airflow measuring thingies, and can show you at the end of the hose exactly how hard each unit pulls.

If funds are a problem, you can safely buy a refurbished unit from these little shops, and they will even give you warranty.

I KNOW people that have had the same electrolux for FORTY (40) years!!!

I know people who's flimsy dysons have died after 4-7 years. Just cheap plastic, handles break, not built to last, messy as fuck to empty (hard not to get dust everywhere, and it never all seems to come out), cheap motors.

As an FYI, I'm in the process of building a flow bench. The vacuum source is a 40 gallon drum with THREE Lamb industrial vacuum motors..... lol... this bitch will suck your arm in if you aren't careful.

eblend
11-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Wow didn't expect a simple thread to turn 4 pages long. At any rate, today I made a decision, and after the first go through with it, I am impressed!

I bought a central vac! Got the Nuera Duovac Signature series, with all the accessories came out to $1199.99. Yes it is about twice the price of a dyson, but after visiting Dynamic Vacuume (super awesome place, highly recommended, the dude in there knows his stuff, it is his shop after all) I was sold on the Duovac series. The vacuum is all stainless steal and is made in Canada, and the motor head is made in Germany, none of that cheap China stuff. This thing comes with a washable filter, a super powerful motor head (first time I used it it almost ran away from me haha) and sucks dirt like no other. I went over a dirty black front mat which turned gray with rocks and dirt, and after I was done with it it looked like freaking new, I couldn't believe it.

At any rate, I am super happy with it. I got the guy to throw in a hose cover and a under counter dust pan thing for free, and he also gave me all the tubing and connectors I would need, much more then I needed, and just said to bring back whatever i didn't use, all for free.

The system can be had for about 300 bucks cheaper but I went with the Deluxe accessory set since the motorhead is sweet (can lay the pole straight down and reach as far as my arm can go under the bed). The system comes with a lifetime motor warranty and 5 years on the accessories.

Highly recommend Dynamic Vacuums. He also sells Dysons if anyone wants one, PM me and I will give you the name and you can tell them I sent you, he will give you a deal I am sure.

stealth
10-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Bumping an old thread here.

I am looking at getting a DC23AN or DC28AN.

Which do you guys find better, upright or canister?

tictactoe2004
10-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by stealth

Which do you guys find better, upright or canister?

I think I have the DC28, its the purple upright one. Haven't tried the other one, but I can tell this thing is as amazing as a vacuum can possibly be.

Highly recommend it!

Amysicle
10-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by stealth

Which do you guys find better, upright or canister? When we had carpet, I preferred the upright.

Now that we live in a hardwood/laminate house, I think I would have liked the canister better. I find that trying to use the hose to suck up the dust bunnies in the corners more difficult since the upright has a higher center of gravity and doesn't follow me as easily.

Mibz
10-30-2011, 11:03 AM
I've got a DC25AN and I like it. My house is largely carpet so I prefer the upright. Obviously stairs are a little harder but the ease of doing the rest of the house more than makes up for it.

403Gemini
10-30-2011, 12:48 PM

You were told wrong.

:thumbsup:

My folks had central vac and then bought a dyson, they have 2 dogs and 3 cats and it was the WORLD of difference. I'd buy a dyson myself but I only have carpet in 2 areas of my house so its not worth it, but for a house that is primarily carpet , I would go with no other vacuum.

A790
10-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Does anyone on beyond have a hookup? Looking at a Dyson canister vac but don't want to pay $650...

Looking at the DC23MH or DC23AN...

alloroc
10-30-2011, 01:25 PM

Consumer reports is not always right.

We have a Dyson, we got it from Sears 8 years ago. I bought the Kenmore first but once there is dirt in the bag it just doesn't move enough air. I took it back and exchanged it for the Dyson and am totally happy with it.

codetrap
10-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by alloroc

Consumer reports is not always right.

We have a Dyson, we got it from Sears 8 years ago. I bought the Kenmore first but once there is dirt in the bag it just doesn't move enough air. I took it back and exchanged it for the Dyson and am totally happy with it.

Walking Dead Thread!

I'm still happy with the Eureka and it's been what, 4-5 years now? It's still getting the carpets clean, and the attachments are all still in good shape, and I vacuum +3 times a week (shedding dog). I've used the hepa bags inside the canister, and there hasn't been any significant dust buildup in the garage. I kicked over the idea of piping it outside as I kinda like the fact that it heats the garage up and melts off any snow in there. :)

redsrt4
10-31-2011, 09:40 AM
we really like our dyson vacuum,, been using this for 4yrs now on my cleaning business..

Tik-Tok
10-31-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by A790
Does anyone on beyond have a hookup? Looking at a Dyson canister vac but don't want to pay $650...

Looking at the DC23MH or DC23AN...

Dyson products are like Apple products. The manufacturer sets the price, and you almost NEVER see them for less.

tictactoe2004
10-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Dyson products are like Apple products. The manufacturer sets the price, and you almost NEVER see them for less.

I got mine for a little over 50% off, but I dont think a deal like that will ever happen again.

slick2404
10-31-2011, 10:13 AM
^ if you have a hook up at Futureshop 'cost + 10%' discount you can get 'em at a solid price, insane markup on Dyson.

A790
11-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by slick2404
^ if you have a hook up at Futureshop 'cost + 10%' discount you can get 'em at a solid price, insane markup on Dyson.
Unfortunately, I don't know if I have a hookup. Oh well, fuck it... Dyson can wait till after Christmas. I have other stuff I'd rather buy ;)

R-Audi
11-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Keep an eye on Kijiji as well.. we grabbed one BNIB for third of the retail price...

Tik-Tok
11-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Keep an eye on Kijiji as well.. we grabbed one BNIB for third of the retail price...

Lol. When a friend worked at Home Depot, he said Dysons were stolen on a weekly basis. There was video photage of a couple just walking out the door with 4 of them.

sillysod
11-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

:thumbsup:

My folks had central vac and then bought a dyson, they have 2 dogs and 3 cats and it was the WORLD of difference. I'd buy a dyson myself but I only have carpet in 2 areas of my house so its not worth it, but for a house that is primarily carpet , I would go with no other vacuum.

Good central vac will always be > any hand mobile unit. The thing is you have to get a good one as well as a GOOD power head. $1500 is about right for a good central vac.

You have to remember that everything that gets sucked down the hose either gets caught in the filter or goes outside your house.

That being said, my inlaws don't have central vac and purchased a Dyson as a cost effective alternative (not everyone wants to spend $1500 on a vacuum ;) ). I can say I was very impressed. For a portable unit the Dyson does a fantastic job of picking up all sorts of stuff.

JudasJimmy
10-25-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm going to bump an old thread since it was instrumental in my decision to buy. I've had handheld (or upright) all my life, I would always buy a pretty expensive one, because I want my house clean, that said, I actually never owned a dyson, but I would spend $350+ on a vacuum. This is my first central vac, and wow, what a difference. This thing sucks, and you have no noise. Central vac is 2- 3 x better, but as usually, I bought a pretty expensive one.. $1500.

http://www.ws6.ca/beyond/easyflo.jpg

genesis0403
10-26-2012, 12:29 AM
Miele vacuums! simply awesome!

bleu
10-26-2012, 06:04 AM
Miele is an awesome vacuum. I had originally been set on a Dyson but when compared, the Miele far out performed the Dyson.

That being said, I ended up getting a Central Vac since the home is set up for it.

sillysod
10-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by JudasJimmy

http://www.ws6.ca/beyond/easyflo.jpg

Put a 90 on your exhaust (right past the muffler) and poke that out through the wall if you can. Right now anything that makes it past the filter will end up back in the house.

black_2.5RS
10-26-2012, 12:13 PM
I have a Dyson Cannister style as well and love it. We bought our refurbished from Dyson Canada. Comes with a warranty and cheaper than in the store.

As long as you're not picky about color and just want a good vacuum. I would buy a refurby from them directly and keep a few bucks in your pocket.

http://www.english.dysoncanada.ca/specialOffers/gradedSales.asp

civic_stylez
10-26-2012, 01:52 PM
I have a Miele and I LOVE it... we were torn between Dyson and Miele but Im glad that we took the Miele. I definitely recommend them!

tjets
10-26-2012, 04:30 PM
We've had a sebo upright with hospital grade filtration for almost 12 years now with no problems at all and it still works like new.
www.sebocanada.ca