PDA

View Full Version : Sgma395

MutantBLuE
01-01-2004, 09:14 PM
IS ANYONE TAKING THIS COURSE THIS WINTER (THIS SEMESTER)?
I am thinking of registering, but wondering if this course is a GPA booster or if its hard??
any thoughts pplz?

thich
01-01-2004, 10:36 PM
not a gpa booster
it's mandatory for mgmt students.
not sure why you would wanna take a course designed for mgmt students unless u are one

fast_girl
01-01-2004, 10:43 PM
i'm not a mgmt student, but i am taking this course this semester because i've heard its super dope if you're interested in law and business (which i am). lemme know if u do register (and what section and whatever)... maybe i'll see u in class :thumbsup:

thich
01-01-2004, 11:09 PM
if u guys and gals wanna take it wit a good prof, take it with Malach, she's a lawyer and she makes the class both interesting and relevant!

pinoyhero
01-01-2004, 11:09 PM
take it at MountRoyal with Wil Holden if you don't know who he is you better ask somebody!

Shaolin
01-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Holden teaches sgma395 now? crazy.

Take it at MRC or another school, it is soooooo much easier.. a buddy of mine took it at SAIT and it was a joke compared to me taking it at the U of C.

fast_girl
01-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by thich
if u guys and gals wanna take it wit a good prof, take it with Malach, she's a lawyer and she makes the class both interesting and relevant!

nice one... that's who I've got :D

davidI
01-01-2004, 11:22 PM
At the U of C it's supposed to be a very difficult class - definately not a GPA booster. My uncle is actually a 395 Prof...Allan Ingelson. Both him or Sandra Malach are good professors to take for it.

Shaolin
01-01-2004, 11:39 PM
your uncle's Ingelson? I had him.. what exactly does he do in real life? corporate law?

davidI
01-02-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin
your uncle's Ingelson? I had him.. what exactly does he do in real life? corporate law?

He did have his own practice for a while while lecturing at the u, then last year he got his Masters of Law and is currently Assistant Dean of Undergrads at the U of C.

sexualbanana
01-02-2004, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by davidI

He did have his own practice for a while while lecturing at the u, then last year he got his Masters of Law and is currently Assistant Dean of Undergrads at the U of C.

So THAT'S how you got into mgmt. Haha :rofl:

accordboi_02
01-02-2004, 12:19 PM

Take it at MRC or another school, it is soooooo much easier.. a buddy of mine took it at SAIT and it was a joke compared to me taking it at the U of C.

He does have a Law Degree, to go along with his Econ (& maybe Geography?) He was working on his Geo. degree when I was in Univ.

MutantBLuE
01-02-2004, 01:09 PM
This course is the only Technical elective that I have that is management. I thought itd be a lot easiar than my engineering ones.

Damn, Malach lectur eis full..................Is Miller any good?

Shaolin
01-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by accordboi_02

He does have a Law Degree, to go along with his Econ (& maybe Geography?) He was working on his Geo. degree when I was in Univ.

Yeah I remember going to his site when I took Econ203 and the first thing you see is him standing there with this black gown hehe. Good on him though, the guy's brilliant, shouldn't be stuck teaching intro courses.. last I heard he was still researching his PHD. But I took 203 like 3 years ago.

davidI
01-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

So THAT'S how you got into mgmt. Haha :rofl:

He wasn't even at the school when I got in :whipped:

pinoyhero
01-02-2004, 03:34 PM

He only teaches it at MRC though.

syeve
01-07-2004, 11:51 AM
At the U of C it's supposed to be a very difficult class - definately not a GPA booster. My uncle is actually a 395 Prof...Allan Ingelson. Both him or Sandra Malach are good professors to take for it.

I was gonna say, take it with Ingelson, he was awsome. I took that class out of interest too, it was very cool...better than some useless GPA booster crap. I do better in classes that are actually interesting.

B17a
01-07-2004, 12:00 PM

I had Ingelson years ago for one of my classes, back when it was POEN 395. He was great!:thumbsup:

syeve
01-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by B17a

I had Ingelson years ago for one of my classes, back when it was POEN 395. He was great!:thumbsup:

ya, POEN395 was buiness law right? Thats what I took with him, not SGMA395...it was cool

Mckenzie
01-07-2004, 12:31 PM
I would take it with Peter Bowal. HE is the best prof I have had in the last two years at the U. We nominated him for the teaching excellence award last semester as well. All his tests were open book and he does tinker with the marks to make evferyone happy. Defenitaly not a GPA booster though. I worked my ass off and got an A, but the class average on the final was 55%. Not my easiest A thats for sure.

I wouldn't take it with Malach. I had a few friends in her class and they hated her. They also had to do a group project and presentation. Her tests were also not open book.

sexualbanana
01-08-2004, 03:13 AM
Those of you in 295 in the winter state your lectures.

davidI
01-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
Those of you in 295 in the winter state your lectures.

You mean 395?

I'm in Lec 07

fast_girl
01-08-2004, 03:37 PM
I'm in Lec 07 too... on my schedule it says I have Malach, but I got an email regarding 395 yesterday from Miller..... I dunno :dunno:

davidI
01-08-2004, 05:13 PM
I think that e-mail was adressed to all of the students. From what I've heard Allan Ingelson (my uncle) us actually teaching the class now because him and Malach traded. This sux for me because I didn't wnat to take it from my uncle but that's the only one that fits in my schedule. Last I heard my uncle is instructing lec 07 but I'm going to have to be evaluated by Malch :(

sexualbanana
01-08-2004, 06:38 PM
I'm in lec 9 with Malach

girlRACER
01-09-2004, 03:14 AM
I took SGMA 395 three to four years ago with Peter Bowal. I didn't think he was that great of a teacher but the tests were open book. It is a really interesting course because we got to look at real life case studies such as that Charles Ing case.

However, there is a lot of reading in that course. I think the course reader was 400 pages and we had to read a lot in order to catch up to the daily lectures....but who really does that anyways? :D

Mckenzie
01-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by girlRACER
I took SGMA 395 three to four years ago with Peter Bowal. I didn't think he was that great of a teacher but the tests were open book. It is a really interesting course because we got to look at real life case studies such as that Charles Ing case.

However, there is a lot of reading in that course. I think the course reader was 400 pages and we had to read a lot in order to catch up to the daily lectures....but who really does that anyways? :D

Peter changed the book this year to a newer one and we only had to read a total of about 175 -225 pages plus his case studies. The other classes still had the same book and they had to read the almost the entire thing.

BebeAphrodite
01-10-2004, 12:26 AM
I loved SGMA 395 and I think it's the second easiest class that I've taken since entering University. I'm not saying this to brag- I mean that it's easy because it's really interesting and since a lot of the material is applicable in real life situations, it's really easy to remember what was discussed in class. I'm in my third year now and the easiest class I've had was HTST 205 (not sure if it's 205 but it's European history). If you attend all the SGMA classes, you don't need to buy the textbook.

We didn't have an open book test, we were allowed to bring in a one sheet 'cheat sheet'.