PDA

View Full Version : The crazy Ford Ecoboost 3.5L V6 test

Cos
10-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Ford is itching to show that its 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6 engine is tough enough to take whatever F-150 buyers can throw at it. In order to do so, the company has lined up a bevy of torture tests and enlisted Mike Rowe to narrate a documentary on the whole affair. Things will kick off with Ford randomly selecting an EcoBoost engine off of the assembly line to be subjected to the equivalent of 150,000 miles on the dyno. From there, the engine will be bolted into an F-150, where it will head to Oregon to skidsteer logs for a lumber company.

Then, the same truck and engine will head to Homestead Miami Speedway where it will tow two Sprint Cup Ford Fusion race cars around the track for 24 hours at full throttle, stopping only for fuel and tires along the way.

But wait, there's more.

From there, the engine will be removed from the 2011 F-150 and bolted into a specially prepared race truck, where it will do battle in the Tecate SCORE Baja 1000. After all of that, Ford will tear down the engine and give the public a look at how things went inside. Sounds like a party. You can hit the jump for a look at the full press release and to check out the first video in the series.

9O7I4knkKEo

bSoWkHLMsrU

NxN3JnQ47b0

rw1zdFZwlLU

r4Pi00oBv3Q

lToZuwbQhLk

sr20s14zenki
10-27-2010, 07:52 PM
thats cooooool

go ford

Type_S1
10-27-2010, 07:52 PM
That sounds insane. Even if the engine blew would they really show the video?

vengie
10-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Sounds awesome! excited to see this

projekz
10-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Wow...looking forward to seeing the rest! Ford has a lot of balls putting a v6 in a F150. I like them more and more, they seem to come out with great products and are extremely customer oriented. My mom returned her BMW at the end of her lease and bought a 2010 Fusion V6 AWD this summer and I was quite impressed on the drive and the quality.

corsvette
10-27-2010, 08:43 PM
I hope it holds up well over time, to me the idea of a twin turbo gas engine in a pickup does not equal long term durability, it will be a tough sell for guys who do hard work or towing. I do think its a great engine that puts down some amazing numbers, i hope it lasts..

Graham_A_M
10-27-2010, 08:46 PM
This is as about as Ballsy as it gets... This will either be a huge hit with the public, or a huge flop, but I think Ford did their math on this on. That being said I cant wait to see this footage either way.
:thumbsup:

Hash_man
10-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Ford FTW yet again... They keep bringing out better and better products lately, it is impressive. I think this motor is a great idea for the F150, especially with the very low cost to put it in any model of F150. As long as it is reliable, they should sell a ton.

Xtrema
10-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
This is as about as Ballsy as it gets... This will either be a huge hit with the public, or a huge flop, but I think Ford did their math on this on. That being said I cant wait to see this footage either way.
:thumbsup:

They can't fail. The won't sell enough Fiestas to offset all the V8 F150s.

kaput
10-27-2010, 09:01 PM

Cos
10-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
I hope it holds up well over time, to me the idea of a twin turbo gas engine in a pickup does not equal long term durability, it will be a tough sell for guys who do hard work or towing. I do think its a great engine that puts down some amazing numbers, i hope it lasts..

They are saying the twin turbos are no where near the limit, and the Garret turbos are rated for 200,000 miles. I bet this engine will last. I think the turbo breakdown is when you push a 2.0L to 300hp. Not a 250hp v6 to 325. Look at diesel turbo's they dont break down and are under the same temps and boosts.

Originally posted by kaput
Have they released the rated fuel economy for this engine yet?

The winning result came from a Quebecbased auto writer who managed an average of 28.9 miles per U.S. gallon in the pickup with a 3.73 rear-axle ratio. While this figure translates to 8.1 L/100 km, the average across the group was closer to 10.2 L/100 km.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/Fuel+efficient+Ford+EcoBoost+hauls+like/3606632/story.html#ixzz13cUYLdM8

vrsc400
10-27-2010, 09:36 PM
The video is over a month old... Have they uploaded any more of the series? or did the engine fail and they just gave up?

Unknown303
10-27-2010, 09:36 PM
I'd say the temperatures are going to be way higher than a diesel engine but that's just me.

It's a sick engine none the less and I hope Chrysler takes note so they can introduce some better engines in their line up.

Cos
10-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by vrsc400
The video is over a month old... Have they uploaded any more of the series? or did the engine fail and they just gave up?

I checked fords site and nothing yet.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/2011/experiencef150/

Originally posted by Unknown303
I'd say the temperatures are going to be way higher than a diesel engine but that's just me.

You are absolutely right. The diesel may be a bad example. I just cant think of a non-inline 4 turbo vehicle that is introduced stock besides the diesels. I dont like the inline 4 example, although they hold up, because they seem to really want to push the edge of the envelope.

Ukyo8
10-27-2010, 10:10 PM
never liked fords but thats pretty sick :thumbsup:

JordanAndrew
10-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Looks quite interesting. If it does fail, obviously ford won't tell anybody. ;)

Redlyne_mr2
10-27-2010, 10:29 PM
It's smart marketing on there part as I know several people who are looking at getting f150s but are concerned about Ford and there knowledge of building a reliable tough turbo engine. Wonder how this will go? As for using Garrett turbos I would be very surprised to see a modern day Garrett last 200 000miles. Unfortunately Garrett was bought out and most of it's turbo are now made in China. Failures of these turbos has been more and more common, time will tell.

Graham_A_M
10-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
Looks quite interesting. If it does fail, obviously ford won't tell anybody. ;)
I dont think they'd need to. The world over knows about this attempt. If it failed miserably there would be much press ado about it regardless if they wanted it or not. Like I said; I'm quite sure they really got their ducks in a row before attempting this one.

HUGE Kudos to Ford. If Dodge would get their shit in even half the line Ford currently does; and willingly: I'd actually hold an esteem for that brand a bit higher then "half a pinch of chicken shit" :rolleyes:

Its interesting in that video, those vast temp differences they test the engine in: if they would have tried that in the late 70's with those turbo Trans Am's they would have noticed early on that the aluminum turbo coupled with the cast iron V8 offered in the (late 70's) Turbo Trans am was a horrendous idea. I know GM had a TON of extra low performance blocks that they had to get rid of, but they should've known that an aluminum turbo coupled with a cast iron SBC was a bad idea: given our winters. (Thats why thanks to a lack of engineering, we had these trans am's with turbo's that would literally blow through the hood). Time is hindsight, but we REALLY could have used this technology 40 years ago. That created an enormous amount of bad-press that still lives on today.

Calgaryrocky
10-27-2010, 10:39 PM
I've always picked trucks over cars but i've never been a big fan of ford. I'm looking forward to driving one of these to see how feels compared to the dodge V8. Turbo Lag???

94boosted
10-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Way to go Ford, I'm really hoping the engine actually lasts.

Originally posted by Cos

I think the turbo breakdown is when you push a 2.0L to 300hp. Not a 250hp v6 to 325.

My car has a factory 2.0L Turbo @ 300HP and so does the EVO :nut:

Cos
10-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted

My car has a factory 2.0L Turbo @ 300HP and so does the EVO :nut:

Yes and what I am saying is that your engine should be less reliable then a V6-TT with minimal boost. So people worrying about the reliability of this engine should only be worried about incorrect engineering or manufacturing. Not the fact it is a turbo.

benyl
10-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Yes and what I am saying is that your engine should be less reliable then a V6-TT with minimal boost. So people worrying about the reliability of this engine should only be worried about incorrect engineering or manufacturing. Not the fact it is a turbo.

I'll just point you to the BMW thread.

That is the biggest reason I got a 2010 and didn't wait for a 2011 EB. Not only that, there is a new F150 coming out in 2012.

I am taking a wait and see approach on this new wave of Turbo motors.

Cos
10-28-2010, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by benyl

That is the biggest reason I got a 2010 and didn't wait for a 2011 EB. Not only that, there is a new F150 coming out in 2012.

touche, that is a good point. Isnt always the failure you think it is going to be.

kaput
10-28-2010, 09:19 AM

911fever
10-29-2010, 10:23 AM

you bought a 2010 f150?

Cos
11-02-2010, 07:53 AM
new video up!

Sugarphreak
11-02-2010, 08:28 AM

Cos
11-02-2010, 08:29 AM
^^ yeah I was a lot more disappointed then video 1. Lets hope video 3 gets better

n1zm0
11-02-2010, 08:52 AM
wow interesting, gas engine too, those die hard Ford truck turbo diesel guys will be hard to convince imo, but will be fun to how it goes, but as great as it is to show 1 random engine off the floor perform all these duties, it'd be better to show a few go through different exercises/temperatures and even then, imo it's the wear and tear over the years of all the components mixed with dust/hard cold starts etc and corrosion build up that will show an engine's true reliability.

props to ford tho for moving forward and trying something different than the norm 60+ years of n/a V8s/V6s in F series trucks, but of course they'll still offer the V8s for those F150 long timers.

Cos
11-02-2010, 08:57 AM
^^ the 5.0L from the mustang and 6.2L out of the raptor are available. The 5.0L is the base engine and the 6.2 is an upgrade around the same cost as the EBV6TT

cort@urbanX
11-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Cos
^^ yeah I was a lot more disappointed then video 1. Lets hope video 3 gets better

Agreed! If a quater ton truck can't haul a single log up an average slope in dry dirt with relative ease there is a big problem imo. None the less I found the dyno tourque specs compared to industry leading V8's pretty impressive. Should be interesting to see the next vids and outcome. If this twin turbo V6 can do all and more than similar trucks with V8's I would definitely consider it. I wonder how much this ecoboost engine really increases gas mileage when towing compared to V8's? I would guess not a whole lot better if your boosting the whole time.

r3ccOs
11-02-2010, 01:13 PM
To perhaps replace a minimum size engine in the full size, this might be a good idea... maybe

If Ford actuality creates a proper 1/4 or mid-size truck (as opposed to the Mazda Ranger) , this would be an apporiate size engine.. (lets say Dakota?)

honestly, there has yet to be a better engine than the old inline 5.9 td cummings for a full size purpose IMO

http://cumminsdieselspecs.com/24v.html

dodge replaced this trustworthy engine with the 6.7 and though - yes there is no replacment for displacement, it proved really no benefit and is far less durable.

a 3.5 gas engine with twin turbocharges for a heavy duty purpose is just the wrong application in my books...

I don't think that people are looking for performance figures in a work truck... and those who do, buy those stupid compromise gas powered trucks such as the Lightening, SRT-10s that have no towing nor GVW capacities.

mind you... being me I still do want a old 93-94 454 SS

CUG
11-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Props to Ford for their development work. I don't know why GM and Dodge aren't budging in this department. I would actually buy a ford, and I used to religiously hate them. They're the only NA company coming out with interesting and advanced product, that I can see.

benyl
11-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by 911fever

you bought a 2010 f150?

yes.

toastgremlin
11-02-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm excited that part two is out now. Ford's done a bang-up job on making this engine reliable - hopefully it's easy to work on so it won't end up like the original Powerstrokes, where so many of them failed just because it was so much of a pain to work on that nobody did regular maintenance.

I remember reading when they were working on the Ecoboost in order to put it in the Flex, that they had a series of torture tests designed to simulate city driving by ignorant drivers - super hard loads on old oil at the wrong octane followed by immediately shutting the engine completely off and putting it in a "blast furnace" garage to see if the water-cooling lines for the turbo would cool it properly.

Sure seems more reliable than the old SVO/Sierra turbo motors - which can only be a good thing.

I'm curious what kind of tuning potential these things have. I haven't yet seen anyone with a reflash for more power.

Go put it in a Fiesta!

r3ccOs
11-02-2010, 02:45 PM
go fiesta!

or a Bring the RS and load it in

911fever
11-02-2010, 03:44 PM

yes.

how do you find it? I'd love to see pictures of it - and is it the 5.4?

Cos
11-04-2010, 10:31 PM
I wont throw this in the first post as it is a bit of a supplement. Promo video for the new ecoboost.

Not going to lie. More I see these videos the more I am considering trading my truck for a bit smaller body style and this engine next 5-Oh event.

pF66aVPhPfc

edit: Just found these. Promo on the 5.0 and the 6.2. Really shocked that the 5.0 has cast iron manifolds!

iJ2Le_agkys

2LFYigMtjEM

Shlade
11-05-2010, 12:55 AM
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the new engines are sooo amazing...

Ford is on THE ball lately!

benyl
11-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by 911fever

how do you find it? I'd love to see pictures of it - and is it the 5.4?

It is an FX4 Luxury supercrew. Contractor white in Color. There pics all over the internet. haha

The nice thing about a truck is that you just don't car about pot holes, man hole covers, dips or anything. Sure, it is gutless, but then again it weighs a lot.

Lots of room, high seating position. It is all great.

But I wouldn't trade the C63 for it.

Chris Ng
11-05-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm not convinced about the longevity of these motors...
One inherent issue with a direct injected motor is carbon build up .. and it's been an issue with all manufactures who have used direct injection, toyota, mazda, vw, bmw etc...

Since fuel is injected directly into the cylinders, it is no longer helping lubricate and clean the valves.. lots of carbon buildup in the intake ports as well ..

It's one thing to run a well built motor WOT on a dyno for many hours.. however in that situation, it will not simulate the load low, low/mid rpm driving a vehicle would experience more in it's life time on the roads when the carbon buildup has an opportunity to progress...

Sugarphreak
11-05-2010, 08:40 AM

Iceman_19
11-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Chris Ng
I'm not convinced about the longevity of these motors...
One inherent issue with a direct injected motor is carbon build up .. and it's been an issue with all manufactures who have used direct injection, toyota, mazda, vw, bmw etc...

Since fuel is injected directly into the cylinders, it is no longer helping lubricate and clean the valves.. lots of carbon buildup in the intake ports as well ..

It's one thing to run a well built motor WOT on a dyno for many hours.. however in that situation, it will not simulate the load low, low/mid rpm driving a vehicle would experience more in it's life time on the roads when the carbon buildup has an opportunity to progress...

They didnt JUST run it at WOT the entire time, you think Ford isnt smart enough to think about that? Of course they simulate a wide range of loads for many hours.

94boosted
11-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Holy Shit, they did it :eek:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/22/followup-ford-f-150-ecoboost-finishes-baja-1000-in-38-hours/

If this is true then this engine is incredible.

Shlade
11-22-2010, 01:16 PM
wow.. They are coming out with this series engine here in Canada right? Im deffs looking into one if so..

n1zm0
11-22-2010, 01:19 PM
i wonder if rental car companies will be offering the SHO with this engine for rent, cause i want to try one out for a trip up to Banff in Feb.

think about it tho, if the CPS starts using the Taurus Police Interceptor model with the TT, few years after its police service they'll go for cheap like the crown vic interceptors ppl buy for winter beaters lately, with that 3.5L TT taking that much abuse, i'd actually think about buying and ex-cop one. IF CPS chooses the Taurus that is..

toastgremlin
11-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
wow.. They are coming out with this series engine here in Canada right? Im deffs looking into one if so.. Yeah, you can build an F-150 with Ecoboost right now on the Ford website, I believe.

The Ecoboost is also in the current model SHO, Flex, and I want to say Edge Sport but I don't believe it is.

It's undoubtedly going to be coming to the Mustang one day - probably as a Mustang SVO!

2BLUE
11-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Number 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y94TR6M1SZs

freshprince1
11-22-2010, 03:13 PM
My Father-in-law has one on order...can't wait to take it for a spin. I think these will be a great step forward for pick-ups, adding some economy, not sacrificing power or performance.

Modelexis
11-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
Number 3

Y94TR6M1SZs

gruster
11-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
Yeah, you can build an F-150 with Ecoboost right now on the Ford website, I believe.

The Ecoboost is also in the current model SHO, Flex, and I want to say Edge Sport but I don't believe it is.

It's undoubtedly going to be coming to the Mustang one day - probably as a Mustang SVO!

EDGE SPORT will be available with i4 2.0 EcoBoost

Shlade
11-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Itd be pretty badass if they brought back the SVO.. Only if they cut a severe amount of weight off of the current pig of a body it has right now.

God I wish they made a fastback version for this car..

Cos
11-22-2010, 06:47 PM
#3 up. Better than the stupid log one!

BerserkerCatSplat
12-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Not one of the "promo" vids, but here's a quick one of them swapping the torture motor into the Baja truck.

l8IzBd9xZO8

Unknown303
12-10-2010, 11:50 AM
I wonder if there will be an ecoboost swap for the JK's one day....

n1zm0
12-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Not one of the "promo" vids, but here's a quick one of them swapping the torture motor into the Baja truck.

i'm not very familiar with domestic trucks... but is that normal for an engine swap on them?? :nut: lift the whole chassis on the hoist and leave the frame and drivetrain on the ground?

Supa Dexta
12-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Yes in many cases.

HiTempguy1
12-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

i'm not very familiar with domestic trucks... but is that normal for an engine swap on them?? :nut: lift the whole chassis on the hoist and leave the frame and drivetrain on the ground?

If you have access to the right equipment, its the easy way!

Cos
12-10-2010, 07:03 PM
4 is up

The best part... the fine print... the weight of the trailer was limited to what the Cheby could tow. The chevy had the shittiest rear axle option (3:42) and lost by 42 seconds! Haha

Good showing by the ram, a little slower on the start but caught up well.

Rat Fink
12-11-2010, 12:51 AM

Darell_n
12-11-2010, 12:54 AM
I believe the fuel requirements for the Ecoboost is only 87 octane. What will it do on 93 or race fuel with an aftermarket tuner? I am seriously wanting a test drive when they hit the streets this spring. And I wouldn't buy one the first model year if it was the last truck on earth.

Ymerej472008
12-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Im not hating on this new Ecoboost thing but, in my opinion I think these

tests might be a bit biased...Ford running these tests and all. I mean there not

honestly going to show the competitor beating or coming close to beating

there innovative design (think fancy infomercial). Id love to see a reputable

magazine or TV show do these tests (MotorTrend etc..). The teardown

should be fairly interesting to watch, also I wonder how well this Ecoboost monstrosity

will react to "tuner oriented" mods..such as boost controllers, exhausts,

intercooler etc...:dunno: Really curious to see what Dodge and Chevy

will use to battle this 3.5L-TT :guns:

strawberrydouch
12-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Its definetly made from a biased point of view, as is this comment. The 3.5 v6 seems to be a bold move for ford. However, they compared the truck to the dodge which did alright in comparison with their (im assuming) 390 horse hemi and where this really evidently shows fords cowardess, the Silverado's 5.3. The 5.3 is a great engine, if you want fuel economy. But as far as displacement goes in this battle its 100% justified that ford would use this engine as an indicator to just how good there ecoboost is. But lets be fair here, the forced induction is the key to the performance here. Let Chevy win a little dignity back in using the 6L MAX. optioned out correctly (cold air and new exhaust with resonator delete from GM) the dyno chart will match the fords ecoboost. Now retest your towing theory, maybe the ford say does manage to come out struggling and wheezing on top with twin turbos still intact but then ill raise up the pick up trucks rockies test with the two HD's. Ford was, equal weight, geared lower and may i add more powerful ( also larger and lower powerband) and more money than the Silverado and the Silverado came out on top.
let motor trend or a real magazine/ show this without biasedness and see who comes out on top.
I am a firm believer that wear is nothing. my blazer is a prime example, 293000k and lights up ricers like the fourth of july. Even with a fresh engine, ford really has nothing to brag about. the only thing helping them sleep at night is that they beat a 5.3.... pussies.:closed:

davesparky6
12-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by strawberrydouch
But lets be fair here, the forced induction is the key to the performance here. Let Chevy win a little dignity back in using the 6L MAX. optioned out correctly (cold air and new exhaust with resonator delete from GM)
It already was pretty fair I thought... Why would they pit a 3.5 against a 6.0? I'm sure there are a ton of modded GM's out there faster than this ecoboost but that's not what it's about. At the end of the day the Ford has better economy and more power than similar products from GM/Dodge.
The only unfair thing in video 4 was that both other trucks weren't broken in.... wouldn't have made a huge difference though.

ExtraSlow
12-14-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm a fan of traditional big displacement motors for trucks. for GM, I always liked the 6.0 better than the 5.3, and for Ford, The 6.8 V10 always felt a little better than the 5.4. That being said, I can't wait to drive this thing. Wonder when or if it'll hit rental fleets.

They need this engine to help thier CAFE numbers. If they find they aren't selling fast enough, look for good incentives for this motor specifically later in the year.

Darkane
12-14-2010, 05:38 PM
ANyone heard about the transmissions on these ecoboosts?

I mean, a tune, premium a big exhaust, we're talking 500ft/lbs here..

Is the trans gonna hold? Especially with 11k behind it?

ExtraSlow
12-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Very few people will actually tow 11k with the half ton truck, and a tiny percentage of those will do any power adding upgrades. Besides, the power adding upgrades would void your powertrain warranty, so I doubt Ford cares.

I'm pretty sure this is a different transmission than the one they are putting in the Super Duty, so who knows what it's true limits are. the aftermarket will figure that out within a year or so.

89s1
12-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Who's to say they haven't replaced major components and not told anyone?

Does it say somewhere that if there is any sort of failure that all testing would be stopped?

I haven't read all the terms of their testing, but I am curious.

dawerks
12-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Easy to build a reliable engine.

How many transmissions did it go through? About 100 on that up hill competition alone I'm guessing. Superduty's are awesome trucks, eeeexcept for their transmissions need to be aftermarket upgraded.

Cos
12-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by dawerks
Easy to build a reliable engine.

How many transmissions did it go through? About 100 on that up hill competition alone I'm guessing. Superduty's are awesome trucks, eeeexcept for their transmissions need to be aftermarket upgraded.

ford always seems to screw up the engine some how. 5.4 with the head design. 6.2 with the injectors. I dont know of too many of their trucks that have tranny problems (I have only been paying attention for the last 2 or 3 years thought so I dont know all by any means).

corsvette
12-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Cos

ford always seems to screw up the engine some how. 5.4 with the head design. 6.2 with the injectors. I dont know of too many of their trucks that have tranny problems (I have only been paying attention for the last 2 or 3 years thought so I dont know all by any means).

Their trannys are very good imo. The 5 speed auto behind the diesels is a very durable unit...they do blow up when you get a 450hp tune, but hard to kill in a stock truck even if you tow.

Rat Fink
12-22-2010, 12:58 AM

Toma
12-22-2010, 10:47 AM
The 3.5 Ecoboost has been around a while now....(Taurus SHO)

They are neat engines, they have the continuous cam timing like the 5.0.

The direct injection is neat, and allows them to run stoichiometric AF at wide open throttle. They only add enrichment fuel when the exhaust temperature modelling indicated extra enrichment is needed to cool it off.

Ford is famous for it's torture tests, and I have NO DOUBT, this motor will do what was advertised in stock trim. The engine is "De-tuned" via the computer.

I do know that there have been failures in the SHO after "hacks" got in and started re-tuning them. Guys that know what they were doing, put a bone stock SHO into the 12's with JUST a tune.

The software that runs the PCM on these is like nothing on the market. Pretty neat shit. It's speed density (no MAF), but there is also no VE tables.

I have not opened up the F150 software, but at least in the SHO, there was a torque limit clip to limit torque output, form as I recall 2500 to 5600 rpm, and the torque "curve" wasnt a curve, but a FLAT line. Ford modulated this through boost, and continuous variable throttle angles. Flat torque almost directly translates to linear cylinder pressure, and that is how Ford keeps the "stresses" controlled and in check to maintain durability.

NEAT engine. I hope they put it in something like a 2wd Mustang, so we can see what these things can do hot rodded in a 3500 pound car.

I would chose it over the 5.0. No question.

I have a PDF file SAE paper on the motor if you guys are interested. I can upload it somewhere later today.

Toma
12-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n
I believe the fuel requirements for the Ecoboost is only 87 octane. What will it do on 93 or race fuel with an aftermarket tuner? I am seriously wanting a test drive when they hit the streets this spring. And I wouldn't buy one the first model year if it was the last truck on earth.

Oh yyyyessss.... IF Ford does not end up encrypting the PCM files after the SHO fiasco ;)

Plus, if they have the flexfuel/E85 option.... oh baby, some great improvements to be made there!

BerserkerCatSplat
12-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Toma

I have not opened up the F150 software, but at least in the SHO, there was a torque limit clip to limit torque output, form as I recall 2500 to 5600 rpm, and the torque "curve" wasnt a curve, but a FLAT line. Ford modulated this through boost, and continuous variable throttle angles. Flat torque almost directly translates to linear cylinder pressure, and that is how Ford keeps the "stresses" controlled and in check to maintain durability.

Now that is one very cool system. I'd love to see that SAE paper as well.

n1zm0
12-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Now that is one very cool system. I'd love to see that SAE paper as well.

+1 that's some crazy stuff i'd lie kto see the pdf as well

yeah put it into a 2wd mustang, revive the SVO line?

Cos
12-22-2010, 05:23 PM
PDF please :)

Thanks for the info toma. People argue with you, but everyone will shut up and listen when you talk about engine tuning.

Moe Man
12-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Thats what you call a bullet proof motor.

those hot and cold tests for hours are crazy.

Toma
12-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Shit... coudln't find the engine paper, but here is one I have for the E85 stuff.

Still a cool read.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/dynomotive/E85eco_boost.pdf

Also, the dyno "graph"....

Cos
12-22-2010, 08:28 PM
baha test is up

Jetta-2.0
12-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Cos
baha test is up

wheres the video :dunno:

Cos
12-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Jetta-2.0

wheres the video :dunno:

see first post

Cos
02-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Last one is up!

Sil80_D
02-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Nice series. Totally a marketing ploy, but good on Ford nonetheless.

Can't wait till they bring over the new focus hatchback... maybe throw this engine in it? (lol) :'D