PDA

View Full Version : Camera Stolen

Nekura
10-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Well, I'm not on here very often but thought I'd just like to share. A few days ago, my house was broken into and the burglars took a crapload of my things, including my entire camera bag which consisted of my D300 and a few lenses and my sb600. It even had my tripod mounting mechanism attached to the bottom so it renders my tripod useless. They also took my tv, and a whole bunch of other electronics. Hopefully insurance will cover it, if I can find my receipts that is. Maybe I'll engrave my name into my next camera... :(

Z_Fan
10-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Fucking criminals.

EvolizePhoto
10-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Fuuuuuuck :(

Do you have serial numbers? I'm always cruising pawn shops to find good deals, you should hit up every one in the city with the serial number. That reminds me, I should probably write my numbers down too :/

Sorry for your loss man, real sorry.

Mitsu3000gt
10-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Well I hope you get a payout and can buy all new gear.

Let this be a reminder to all to keep your receipts and have photographs of your equipment/serial numbers on file!

syeve
10-28-2010, 02:00 PM
I have none of those things??!!

Sorry for your loss OP...I would be so pissed if someone yanked my gear.

roopi
10-28-2010, 02:40 PM
What area of the city?

The Wanderer
10-28-2010, 03:04 PM
You may wish to post which lenses.
It will make it easier to spot if the whole kit is for sale.
I often search for use equipment online.
I'll keep my eyes open.

syeve
10-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by The Wanderer
You may wish to post which lenses.
It will make it easier to spot if the whole kit is for sale.
I often search for use equipment online.
I'll keep my eyes open.

Good idea, I have kijiji alerts so I watch this stuff everyday.

Go4Long
10-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Yeah, hoping you have the serial number.

A couple years back my camera was stolen out of my car downtown. Luckily I still had the box and turned the serial number in to the police since my insurance said I wasn't covered. Lucky me a couple weeks later it turned up in a pawn shop (probably realized it was canon and didn't want it...I keed) and the cops called me up and told me I could come and get it.

Best of luck to you with insurance...and if I see a cheap D300 in my travels I will keep it in mind...although I was looking for a good backup...hmmm... :poosie:

Roarasaur
03-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Update -

I am the OP, sorry for the user change but I had signed up for a new account because I couldnt remember the old ones password and had deleted that email address that it was linked to.

Anyways, over the past few months, insurance has replaced my items and namely my camera. They were going to give me a D300s since the D300 is no longer being produced, but I decided to upgrade to full frame and had to shell out another $500. -_-". Also getting my 50mm f/1.4g replaced with the same one but they can't supply me with my 18-200 mm f/3.5, so they cashed me out on that. Now I can't decide whether I want a midrange zoom again, or to get something like the 105 mm f/2 DC and just walk forward and back to compensate for the zoom haha. Also need a new camera bag :(

Also liked to thank a user that gave me the website to save my serials. Making sure I do that for EVERYTHING now.

Go4Long
03-02-2011, 01:04 PM
you wouldn't have wanted the 18-200 anyway if you're going full frame...it's DX.

Curious to know where you're getting a full frame camera for $1800 since a D300s is going for $1300...

Gibson
03-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Go4Long
you wouldn't have wanted the 18-200 anyway if you're going full frame...it's DX.

Curious to know where you're getting a full frame camera for $1800 since a D300s is going for $1300...

Probably a clearance D700 if I had to guess.

Mitsu3000gt
03-03-2011, 01:48 AM
Who is clearing D700's out at $1,800? Best price I've seen in Canada is around $2,100.

blitz
03-03-2011, 11:48 AM
The insurance could have given him Nikons MRSP instead of the TCS price...

Kloubek
03-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Now that I've seen this thread, I think I am going to go through all the electronics in my house and record the serial numbers. Not really sure why I haven't done this before...

Mitsu3000gt
03-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Now that I've seen this thread, I think I am going to go through all the electronics in my house and record the serial numbers. Not really sure why I haven't done this before...

Best thing to do, IMO, is take RAW photos of all your gear & serial numbers, keep all receipts, and keep an Excel spreadsheet with item descriptions and serial numbers. It only takes a few minutes to do and pretty well covers everything.

If insurance companies pay out MSRP though, it might be time for me to "lose" some gear haha. (Kidding, of course).

Roarasaur
03-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Well, my insurance company deals primarily with the RECLAIM department with futureshop and best buy and were going to give me a the d300s and valued it at I think around $1700 at the time and didnt have to end up paying THAT much extra to get the d700. For alot of my items that I ended up getting replaced at FS, they gave it to me at cost. I'm not sure if they did this for the camera as well but I know I got a good deal.

I've made sure I kept all my boxes for my expensive items and register some things on their respective sites, like my tv. All of my receipts are filed away and stored in a secure place. I've also taken a few photos of some of the new things I got just to be extra safe.