PDA

View Full Version : Getting pulled over because of front window tinting

Seikencube
10-28-2010, 07:50 PM
How many of you guys got pulled over by the police because of your front side windows being tinted?

I got pulled over twice, first time was ticketed, 60 dollar fine. Second one I got pulled over was today and got a warning.

SJW
10-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Fool me once...............shame on me.....wait whaaaa?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A&p=CCA1162285E15014&playnext=1&index=9

StreetRacerX
10-28-2010, 09:29 PM
If by front windows you mean front side windows, then yes, on the "Calling all surrounding cities meet." I didn't really care as the tint came with the car so I peeled it and left.

Tomaz
10-29-2010, 08:50 AM
only once so far (knock on wood).

$100-something fine.

sillysod
10-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Wifes VW wagon.... 2x now she's had tickets. $57.00 both times :burnout:

gretz
10-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Saw an undercover with blacked out windows... Should call in his plate number with an anonomous tip of a dangerously tinted car just sitting near the school zone for the past hour...

I love the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality out there

DayGlow
10-29-2010, 09:52 AM
It was more than factory glaze? Not going to call BS as I haven't seen every unmarked in the fleet, but every vehicle I've ever driven or seen doesnt have any aftermarket additions other than the required markings and equipment for the simple reason that it costs money. It simply doesn't make financial sense for the service to do it.

I mean I'm talking about a service that has investigativers hot seating a computer in an office because they refuse to spend the money to buy another computer even though it's that guys job to work on one all day.

sillysod
10-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
It was more than factory glaze. Not going to call BS as I haven't seen every unmarked in the fleet, but every vehicle I've ever driven or seen doesnt have any aftermarket additions other than the required markings and equipment for the simple reason that it costs money. It simply doesn't make financial sense for the service to do it.

I mean I'm talking about a service that has investigative hot seating a computer in an office because they refuse to spend the money to buy another computer even though it's that guys job to work on one all day.

Yeah, I've looked everywhere to find a ghost car with tinted windows, and everytime I find one it turns out to be an EX police car that some douche bag is driving around trying to be :bigpimp:

spike98
10-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Id say 50% of the unmarkeds in medicine hat have DARK tint on the front side windows. Its bullshit, but is a cop going to give another cop a ticket?

Cos
10-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

Yeah, I've looked everywhere to find a ghost car with tinted windows, and everytime I find one it turns out to be an EX police car that some douche bag is driving around trying to be :bigpimp:

I can spot them a mile away and usually they drive like douches because they think they can get away with it. If the guy is riding me or being a dick I usually do my best to inconvenience them. I do make sure they aren't actual cops though. haha

Speed_69
10-29-2010, 01:02 PM
30% tint in the front - 3 and half years now.
No Tickets yet :) *knock on wood*

dj_rice
10-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Customer bought a EX35 vehicle where I work, asked us to put limo tint on front/rear windows. Found out it was for the EPS and being used as a surveillance vehicle.

Mar
10-29-2010, 01:38 PM
I've had 35% on both of my front windows since 2005, I drive it every day and I've also driven across Canada and back. I've never been pulled over for the tint.

Not only that, anytime I've been pulled over for speeding or expired tags, I roll down the window and they don't mention it when talking to me.

revelations
10-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I've had 35% on both of my front windows since 2005, I drive it every day and I've also driven across Canada and back. I've never been pulled over for the tint.

Not only that, anytime I've been pulled over for speeding or expired tags, I roll down the window and they don't mention it when talking to me.

:werd:

I've had the same setup the past 8 years and I've never, ever, been hassled. This is living in 3 cities and 2 provinces.

If the cop can see your face through the glass, chances are he wont bother you.

35% is there to keep things cool, not to hide anything. Anything greater than this means youre dealing with a lot more cops.

derpderp
10-31-2010, 05:44 AM
You think the police wouldn't tint surveillance vehicle's so dark, sending a pretty obvious message to the people you're watching.

syritis
10-31-2010, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by derpderp
You think the police wouldn't tint surveillance vehicle's so dark, sending a pretty obvious message to the people you're watching.

I would think a camera and a pair of binoculars would be a little more obvious.

blackhawktac
03-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by gretz
Saw an undercover with blacked out windows... Should call in his plate number with an anonomous tip of a dangerously tinted car just sitting near the school zone for the past hour...

You should call in every-time you see them with red and blue lights or speeding to a call too!

Oh ya....emergency and enforcement vehicles are exempt from the TSA and VER.....

But maybe you should call it in....sounds more like a pedophile than a unmarked PC

blackhawktac
03-02-2011, 02:37 PM
WOW....so much mis-information out there! Re: WINDOW TINT....

Question 1: Towing your vehicle for equipment violations has nothing to do with "arrest without warrant"...it is not an arrest....it is a REMOVAL from highway.

Question 2: Also, if you choose not to comply and roll up your window, then your windows do not work and your equipment is not maintained...another ticket...safety concern..TOW....plus a tint ticket anyway.

Question 3: And it would be very EXTREME for an officer to tow you for window tint, unless you really talk your way into it.

There are two charging sections for window tint:

One is a $57 ticket under the VEHICLE EQUIPMENT REGULATIONS - it is illegal to add window glazing of any tint % forward of the driver...so it is an illegal equipment add on.

The other is a $115 ticket under the TRAFFIC SAFETY ACT - again it is illegal to add any window glazing forward of the driver of any tint %. This is a safety issue as it defeats the manufacturers safety standard of the glass. It is designed to fragment into tiny little pieces upon impact in a collision so it doesn't shred your face/head/body....window glazing film defeats this and causes it to break into large shards which are sharp and can cause serious injury or death if cut/impaled.

The officer can charge under either section....depends on your attitude or their discretion. And to get another ticket from another officer if you show an earlier one for the same tint charge would be very rare, and likely tossed by the Crown. You need reasonable time to have it removed.

And NO...removing it will NOT get the ticket withdrawn..MYTH! Slow down when you drive off and the speeding ticket will get withdrawn? WTFE.

Hope that helps answer most questions.

Oh ya....and most whiners forget to mention that the tint ticket was likely given instead of the speeding, fail to produce insurance, no seat belt and 3 or 4 other charges most officers WARN on....but you only hear bitching about the tint ticket! Cheers!

blackhawktac
03-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by sillysod

There is no shortage of wanna-bees out there driving auctioned EX-POLICE cars! Why anyone would want to drive around in a car that has had the bag driven off it and blood, puke, feces, urine, spit, snot, guts....etc all over the backseat and floors to look like a knob TRYING to appear as a cop BRIEFLY in traffic is one for the Psych couch!

Do they really get a rush having people slow down on Deerfoot for 5 seconds until the driver sees it's just a retard in a $1000 auction car!?

Please....everyone feel free to show their "feelings" to the wanna-bees...but make sure it's not a REAL cop first

:eek:

gretz
03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by blackhawktac

You should call in every-time you see them with red and blue lights or speeding to a call too!

Oh ya....emergency and enforcement vehicles are exempt from the TSA and VER.....

But maybe you should call it in....sounds more like a pedophile than a unmarked PC

lol... it was a joke howdy... carry on sir

oupzwrongthread
03-02-2011, 03:01 PM

Oh ya....and most whiners forget to mention that the tint ticket was likely given instead of the speeding, fail to produce insurance, no seat belt and 3 or 4 other charges most officers WARN on....but you only hear bitching about the tint ticket! Cheers!

Lol - I kept my tint on for years for this very reason - get pulled over for speeding and they "let you off easy" with a non-moving violation. BTW - I love cops (no homo)

Enhance
03-02-2011, 03:33 PM

I've been ticketed three times for my 20% tint. All three times by the same officer, and all three times for no other traffic violation.

1st ticket: Cop drove past me in opposite direction while I was sitting at a set of lights, he pulled into a parking lot to turn around and then got behind before the light turned green. He tailgated me for nearly 10 minutes on a road that is 70km/h. Pulled me over and I ended up with a $115 ticket. I try pretty hard to be respectful in these situations.. car off, stereo off, hands visible and I never argue. Oh well.

2nd ticket: officer had someone pulled over in a residential area and they had just finished up. I drove by just as the guy was pulling away so he gets right behind me and immediately flashes the lights, we couldn't have been more than 100m from where he had the other guy pulled over. Once again I was polite and respectful, got a $57 ticket.

3rd ticket: same officer, this time on a motorbike, merges into traffic then rips across 2 lanes to get behind me in a turning lane. He follows me around the corner and then flashes the lights as I pull into a parking lot. Pleasant, polite, $57 ticket.

Goodfella
03-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Whenever I was down in the southern parts of the states I knoticed a number of the unmarked were tinted in the front. A lot of civilian vehicles were also tinted which leads me to believe they don't waste as much time enforcing these regulations.

But in Canada it so happens to be something to weave through traffic and chase someone down for. With my second tint ticket not only did i receive some uncalled for attitude from the responding officer but was also addressed with questions of suspicion.

Machi
03-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Goodfella
Whenever I was down in the southern parts of the states I knoticed a number of the unmarked were tinted in the front. A lot of civilian vehicles were also tinted which leads me to believe they don't waste as much time enforcing these regulations.

But in Canada it so happens to be something to weave through traffic and chase someone down for. With my second tint ticket not only did i receive some uncalled for attitude from the responding officer but was also addressed with questions of suspicion.

That's because in most states down there, front tint is legal.

J-hop
03-02-2011, 06:10 PM

the law is for the safety of the police officer so that they can see the person when approaching the vehicle ie: see if person has a gun or other weapon and be able to see if they reach for something etc.

in a road and track (i think) article where they interviewed cali state troopers one of their primary concerns was making sure they can see the driver (especially their hands). This is why they have this law in many areas

so obviously police vehicles do not need to abide by this rule.

Kennyredline
03-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Enhance

I've been ticketed three times for my 20% tint. All three times by the same officer, and all three times for no other traffic violation.

1st ticket: Cop drove past me in opposite direction while I was sitting at a set of lights, he pulled into a parking lot to turn around and then got behind before the light turned green. He tailgated me for nearly 10 minutes on a road that is 70km/h. Pulled me over and I ended up with a $115 ticket. I try pretty hard to be respectful in these situations.. car off, stereo off, hands visible and I never argue. Oh well.

2nd ticket: officer had someone pulled over in a residential area and they had just finished up. I drove by just as the guy was pulling away so he gets right behind me and immediately flashes the lights, we couldn't have been more than 100m from where he had the other guy pulled over. Once again I was polite and respectful, got a $57 ticket.

3rd ticket: same officer, this time on a motorbike, merges into traffic then rips across 2 lanes to get behind me in a turning lane. He follows me around the corner and then flashes the lights as I pull into a parking lot. Pleasant, polite, $57 ticket.

So tell us how much you paid for your 20% window tinting; you've accumulated $229 in fines because of it. I'm just trying to figure out the common sense behind the math here....

adidas
03-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

So tell us how much you paid for your 20% window tinting; you've accumulated $229 in fines because of it. I'm just trying to figure out the common sense behind the math here....

If you have the money who cares how much the tint ends up costing u in the end.

Redlyne_mr2
03-03-2011, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by gretz

Saw it too.. white crown vic or whatever with dark tint.

revelations
03-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
the law is for the safety of the police officer so that they can see the person when approaching the vehicle ie: see if person has a gun or other weapon and be able to see if they reach for something etc.

in a road and track (i think) article where they interviewed cali state troopers one of their primary concerns was making sure they can see the driver (especially their hands). This is why they have this law in many areas

so obviously police vehicles do not need to abide by this rule.

Wrong.
This is Canada not California.

We have different criminal law systems and different traffic acts (as does each province).

The PRIMARY reason why window tinting was banned was because of issues ID'ing a driver.

If a motorist killed a pedestrian and then left the scene immediately, witnesses would not be able to ID the driver is their windows are tinted too dark.

I've seen guilty motorists identified at night time, without tinted windows.

Yes, the police would also prefer to see the motorist and what any passengers might be up to in the vehicle.

manny18
03-03-2011, 11:35 PM
ive had one for 5 years ive had tint... and that was with a speeding ticket. when i went in and asked for a reduction the person said the cop didnt turn in the ticket and i didnt have to pay for it:clap: