PDA

View Full Version : If im a total nub...

Spooned
01-02-2004, 12:35 AM
I dunno if this is even the right thread to put this in, but ah well.
I just recently got interested in the import scene, and cars in general. I was wondering where i should go or what i can do to learn about all the things under the hood, transmissions, etc etc etc.

I've really been looking into getting a 97'ish MX-6 and working on it in my spare time.

I know a small amount about mechanics in general. I was wondering if the stock 2.0L engine in the MX-6 is good enough. And also what would be the best engine swap possible for this car?

hehe dont flame me if none of the above makes sense, like i said im a n00b tuner.

T5_X
01-02-2004, 01:23 AM
KLZE engine is the best, its the 2.5 V6 used in Japan, 200 HP, 10:1 compression, revs like a MOFO, I believe its redline is somewhere around 8000 RPM!!!!... VERY nice engine with lots of potential. Just look at this 800+ HP one: http://www.offroadvw.net/bajawes/800HP_KLV6/wetdream.html :D

If you want to learn a lot I suggest getting an old beater that's easy to work on, has a big internet community to help you out, and start wrenching.

yohan4ws
01-04-2004, 01:27 AM
definately start with a cheaper car that has a lot of aftermarket support.

There are base 85 preludes on some websites that push 150 to the wheels. The stock engine is 1.8L dual carb, people install aftermarket weber carbs and bore the engine to 2.0L and get lots of power.

the interior is pretty good, they handle really well and are pretty reliable. other people will have opinions but if you have your heart set on getting an mx-6, look for mx-6 specific webboards ..

obviously im parcial to preludes so preludonline.com, preludecrazy.com, honda-prelude.com edmontonpreludeclub.com etc. I gaurantee there's tonnes of mazda related sites ...

read read read read .. and if you get the car, go here : www.helminc.com to learn specifically about your car.. I got the helms manual for my car and love it and always look it up for reference every time I see somebody else asking for help with their car.

for the basics, www.howstuffworks.com

africano
01-04-2004, 06:26 PM
if you want to learn about the mechanics. a good idea is to read up, mags like turbo, import racer, and sport compact car are good.
Super Street is pure entertainment but offer not a lot of technical know how.

also there's a ton of DVD's and books out there.

Personally i started like 5 years ago with Hot Rod magazine,
learned a lot about cars there. I was planning to buy a 3rd gen camaro. Then realized that insurance/gas would rape me. So then i switched to imports.

My advice to you is find a particular car you like and learn all you can about it. When a certain mag does a featrue or technical article on it, buy that one.

good luck:thumbsup:

africano
01-04-2004, 06:36 PM
also i agree with yohan4ws about the mx-6, it's a dope looking car but it doesn't have much aftermarket support. might in japan. :dunno: check it out that's the fun of this hobby

illeagle
01-04-2004, 06:42 PM
2.2L I-4 VJ11 turbo....

there's one in the junk yard, minus injectors.... hey wanna buy some injector's?

CelicaST-162
01-04-2004, 06:49 PM
If you want to learn about cars....go to a high school and steal their Automotives textbook it will teach you all youd need to know regarding the aspects of automotives :thumbsup:

Spooned
01-04-2004, 07:44 PM
haha sweet, thx for the tips, yeah i figured reading is prolly the best way, and hands on would help a ton too. I've got my heart set on an mx-6. Just because its a rare one. Plus i saw some article in one of the mags i have called "The Comeback Kid" which featured a beautiful mx-6. i'll post pics of it sooner or later if i can find it. But its my inspiration.

Its either that or an rx-7(3rd gen). but is their a problem with finding a decent condition engine? or will i have to learn about rebuilding it etc etc etc? i've heard that rotaries are very high maintenance.

Im really into learning about drift as well. although its kinda hard to practice double clutching in my Volvo 850 Turbo becuase the foot space is too small and i just get my feet all jammed up.

i dunno if an mx-6 would be the best for drifting. Its a Rear Wheel right? i hope so. other wise i guess im looking at the rx-7's.

this site is really sweet 8)

ryder_23
01-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Heres dustins mx-6 from dtmpower.net mx-6's are fwd.

http://www.dtmpower.net/ppost2/data/500/5027streetracinghin-med.jpg

his car was featured on the midnight club cover

http://www.dtmpower.net/ppost2/data/500/5027midnightclubboxcover.jpg

http://www.dtmpower.net/ppost2/data/500/5027ign_pic4-med.jpg

dont remember what year it is...but i'm sure thers alot of info on dtmpower.net about it.

Spooned
01-04-2004, 07:53 PM
http://www.pixel-shift.com/mx6.jpg

Team_Mclaren
01-04-2004, 08:00 PM
i would take the PGT instead of the mx6 IMO, same chassic and everything but the PGT is nicer in general. As for your first car, I would go with something cheaper like a 88-91 civic hb, those cars are general simplier and easier to work on. and u can get them for a fairlly cheap price depends on cond. The mx6 has a very small engine space whihc makes workin on it a little harder. It does have a good potential with the ze, but u can do almost the same with a B16 or so in the h/b. If u wanna know more about the ze and stuff u can pm PGTze, he has one droppin into his probe, u can find more info from him

Spooned
01-05-2004, 12:21 AM
cool, yeah, might be a good idea to go with a car thats easier to work with. But i feel like i'd be wasting time working on it instead of my mx-6.

My friend works as a mechanic at the new audi dealer on 37th, just talked to him about learning about all the basics, and he's lending me all his high school mechanics books. That should give me a real good understanding of everything i hope. Once i get through those i'll maybe start learning the more advanced stuff.

Can you still drift a Fwd? you can't gas it hard to swing the rear out so.... i guess.... only braking drifts? or power slides huh? i dunno. if anyone knows about drifiting a fwd gimme a shout 8P.

anyone know about the rotary stuff from my earlier post?

T5_X
01-05-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Spooned
haha sweet, thx for the tips, yeah i figured reading is prolly the best way, and hands on would help a ton too. I've got my heart set on an mx-6. Just because its a rare one. Plus i saw some article in one of the mags i have called "The Comeback Kid" which featured a beautiful mx-6. i'll post pics of it sooner or later if i can find it. But its my inspiration.

Its either that or an rx-7(3rd gen). but is their a problem with finding a decent condition engine? or will i have to learn about rebuilding it etc etc etc? i've heard that rotaries are very high maintenance.

Im really into learning about drift as well. although its kinda hard to practice double clutching in my Volvo 850 Turbo becuase the foot space is too small and i just get my feet all jammed up.

i dunno if an mx-6 would be the best for drifting. Its a Rear Wheel right? i hope so. other wise i guess im looking at the rx-7's.

this site is really sweet 8)

Holy shit, you have an M56 850 turbo!? Welcome to the club! There's not many of us.
If its a wagon, you have no chance in hell of drifting that car in stock form. They understeer hevily and have no rear anti-roll bar. If you want to kick the rear end out, order a big rear anti-roll bar from IPD and have fun.
And wach-u talkin about for not much foot space in the 850T? There's TONS of foot room! If you don't think so, try stepping into a small japanese car! And double-clutching does not require lots of foot room either, just quicker foot movement to accomodate a couple extra steps.

I would not suggest an RX7 as a first project car simply because you won't learn a lot about other cars cause of this car's unique engine.

Reading to learn about how cars work and theory is all well and good, but the amount I learned went up exponentially once I got wrenching. I still stand behind my choice as a turbo dodge for a perfect first project cause they are easy to work on, have a large, helpful internet community, parts are dirt cheap and you get an intro to forced induction.

BTW, powersliding refers to drifting RWD because you are applying power to the rear wheels to the point where they loose traction to put you into a drift.

Spooned
01-05-2004, 01:50 AM
lol yeah 94' 850 turbo, and no... it aint the wagon 8P

i can't move my feet around down their man! maybe its my friggen size 12 feet? or maybe im just doin it wrong?

im pretty happy with the 850T, although dont you find them to understeer like mofos anyways (wagon or not they be heavy cars!
)

interesting, i always thought powersliding was just a really basic drift started by pulling the park brake and throwing the weight to one side, all while gassing and mainting speed? ah well im a nub, soooo u must be right! :)