PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of building a new home...

JordanLotoski
10-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Hey guys and gals.

To anyone thinking about building a new home, feel free to PM me any questions. I have worked with most of the builders in town and for the most part can give you my opinion on them as far as options and opinions I may have.

I do work hand in hand with buyers that feel like they need help to design and or build the right home for them... Since it can be very overwhelming for most.

Fire away with any questions

(For a new build referal talk to Jaymez I helped him with quite a bit of the build process.)

jay838
04-21-2020, 06:50 PM
Think is a good idea to build a new home right now? And what is the average cost of building a 2400sq ft house?

eglove
04-21-2020, 07:10 PM
Think is a good idea to build a new home right now? And what is the average cost of building a 2400sq ft house?

newbie for real

original post 10-29-2010, 04:09 PM

Disoblige
04-21-2020, 08:06 PM
Nice bump...

And here I thought Jordan was thinking of upgrading in these times.

ExtraSlow
04-21-2020, 09:17 PM
Now is a great time to build or buy!

94boosted
07-16-2020, 01:53 PM
Considering building with Cardel Homes, any thoughts or experience with them? They want a 15% deposit on $700K plus homes which seems like a fair bit :dunno: The "standard" materials they use seem to be quite good though; triple pane windows, hardieboard siding, composite deck, 1.25" countertops etc.

Mitsu3000gt
07-16-2020, 02:14 PM
Considering building with Cardel Homes, any thoughts or experience with them? They want a 15% deposit on $700K plus homes which seems like a fair bit :dunno: The "standard" materials they use seem to be quite good though; triple pane windows, hardieboard siding, composite deck, 1.25" countertops etc.

I'm pretty sure there is a thread on these forums somewhere about all the Cardel nightmares, may want to check that out. I have no direct experience with them though.

jwslam
07-16-2020, 03:44 PM
Where are you building and what other realtors are around?

94boosted
07-16-2020, 04:10 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a thread on these forums somewhere about all the Cardel nightmares, may want to check that out. I have no direct experience with them though.

Yikes, will find it and give it a read

Where are you building and what other realtors are around?

Thinking about Shawnee Park. Not sure what you mean about other realtors?

jwslam
07-16-2020, 04:20 PM
Yikes, will find it and give it a read

Thinking about Shawnee Park. Not sure what you mean about other realtors?
Fail. I meant other builders.

94boosted
07-16-2020, 04:22 PM
Fail. I meant other builders.

:rofl:

I don't believe any, from my limited understanding Cardel is the builder and developer of Shawnee Park, there's plans for 14 phases and currently they're on phase 7. I believe the total community will have ~450 houses.

ercchry
07-16-2020, 04:27 PM
That’s a strange concept... I don’t get it, my brother was looking down there too and ended up buying a fully Reno’d place beside a golf course that still exists for less. That kind of money goes a loooong way right now. Could have way more land, or if you’re fine with the infill sized lots, waaaay better location

94boosted
07-16-2020, 04:40 PM
That’s a strange concept... I don’t get it, my brother was looking down there too and ended up buying a fully Reno’d place beside a golf course that still exists for less. That kind of money goes a loooong way right now. Could have way more land, or if you’re fine with the infill sized lots, waaaay better location

Curious as to when your bro looked? Sales guy said they're well over $100K cheaper than they were over a year ago. Value seems about right, $700K gets you 2400sq.ft. with a triple car garage, developed basement, deck and landscaped on a 40' lot. FYI this community replaces the 18 hole golf course that used to be there.

ercchry
07-16-2020, 04:49 PM
Yeah I’m aware (why I said a golf course that still exists haha)

It was for sure in the last year, he gave up the triple but gained a massive yard, similar sqft and amenities, etc (Douglasdale) plus no GST! Much closer to $600k than $700k too, also cul de sac

To each their own... guess it’s at least a little more into the city than most new communities

94boosted
07-16-2020, 09:09 PM
Yeah I’m aware (why I said a golf course that still exists haha)

It was for sure in the last year, he gave up the triple but gained a massive yard, similar sqft and amenities, etc (Douglasdale) plus no GST! Much closer to $600k than $700k too, also cul de sac

To each their own... guess it’s at least a little more into the city than most new communities

Ahhh gotcha. We're hoping to be close to a C-Train station to give some flexibility for the downtown commute.

ercchry
07-16-2020, 09:15 PM
Honestly I’m not too far away... with covid we ride bikes a lot and I can say I’m pretty happy we’re not THAT close to a train with the shit we see even this far out of the core.

I’m in woodlands, so Anderson is the closest station, 45min from door to desk driving to the station... 1st st, 9ave sw. Always a stall... usually get there after 8am

Masked Bandit
07-18-2020, 07:38 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/202538/building-code-requirements-residential/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/199478/cardel-homes-is-it-a-scam/

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/279406-Cardel-Homes-(Buyer-Beware)

https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/323255-Do-Not-Build-With-Cardel-Homes!!

The_Rural_Juror
07-18-2020, 10:23 AM
Those Trickle Creek and Mairen guys make nice looking homes. Too bad they don't build in reputable neighborhoods like Aspen.

dirtsniffer
07-18-2020, 12:37 PM
Road access to that area sucks.

XylathaneGTR
07-18-2020, 04:38 PM
Those Trickle Creek and Mairen guys make nice looking homes. Too bad they don't build in reputable neighborhoods like Aspen.

Yeah, trickle creek seems to do some nice looking projects. They didn't even bother to email me back when I asked for a meet and greet about a year ago.
OP, i'm currently building a custom home in the 2400sqft range. Feel free to shoot me a PM and we can chat a bit.

chongkee_
07-21-2020, 11:33 AM

94boosted Guy I work with have built at Shawnee Park and has been living there for a year and a half.
He's happy with how construction went and how Cardel has dealt with any issues he had.
Only thing he's not a huge fan of is their sales guy. He's a typical sales guy apparently.
He said that ensure anything you agree with him on or says is in writing.

I can PM you his contact info if you have more questions or looking for more tips from him.
There's also a $5000 referral fee. Maybe you can talk to him and split it.