PDA

View Full Version : I just got a $287 ticket, if my day couldnt get any worse!

copynpaste
10-29-2010, 08:44 PM
First my JL audio W3 sub dies on me last night ($400 sub!!!!!), had my car audio guru buddy come check it out today and confirm its dead. So I had to go buy another at visions (not cheap $400!!!!). Then on my way back from visions and on my way to my buddies so he can install it, I accidentally ran a red.

First time ive been pulled over in over 6yrs, ive only had 1 ticket in my life. I was in a hurry coming down Country hills blvd, and was going 15km over the speed limit. As i was about 2/3 into the intersection the light turns red. Next thing you know cop pulled out from the timmy hortons (gee what a surprise) and pulled me over within 5 secs. He was a total dickhead, "why were you braking like a fuckin jackass?"

I had my dog in the back and he was even gonna give me a ticket for that!!!! "Do you know youre not suppose to have big dogs in small cars?" Im like why? "For safety reason" im like what the hell? "consider yourself lucky for not getting a ticket for that." SERIOUS? A TICKET FOR HAVING A DOG IN THE BACKSEAT?!

Anyways $287 HOLY FUCK!!! can i fight it? This is a disgrace, the worst ticket in my life. WHen I was pulled over it felt like i was being arrested, horrible horrible feeling!

Chantastic
10-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Wait, were you braking through the intersection or just giving it gas to go through?

copynpaste
10-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Chantastic
Wait, were you braking through the intersection or just giving it gas to go through?

Coming up to the intersection i braked for 1sec but realized i wasnt going to make it so i gased it. Had i not braked for the 1 sec i would have made it. Now im stuck with with $287 down the fuckin toilet, so pissed. :banghead:

Isaiah
10-29-2010, 09:04 PM
If you're already in the intersection when the light turns red, you're good so long as you entered the intersection when the light was amber and not red. I would definitely fight the red light ticket.

Highway Traffic Act:

108(1) When a yellow light is shown at an intersection by a traffic
control signal at the same time as or following the showing of a
green light, the driver of a vehicle approaching the intersection and
facing the yellow light shall stop before entering
(a) the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection,
or
(b) if there is no such marked crosswalk, then before entering
the intersection, unless such a stop cannot be made in safety.

googe
10-29-2010, 09:17 PM
another hero cop. i just got $600 in tickets for paperwork reasons. the world is a safer place. to serve and collect :thumbsup:

copynpaste
10-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
If you're already in the intersection when the light turns red, you're good so long as you entered the intersection when the light was amber and not red. I would definitely fight the red light ticket.

Highway Traffic Act:

Thats what i thought too! Theres no way im paying $287. What do i say when i fight it? Ive never had to do this before, so are they gonna be pricks about it? Hell i dont even know where i go to fight it cause im not used to geting pulled over ha.

Disoblige
10-29-2010, 09:38 PM
The monetary amount of the ticket is the least of your worries. Is it 54(1)(a)? If so, that is a 3 demerit ticket.

I received that ticket in Winter, went to court, and THIS is when I got out with a no demerit ticket. It's a long story, but what happened is I negotiated with the cop in the court room to speak with another prosecutor because the one in the court room was a huge bitch. Got a new one who was a nice old guy who I dealt with before, went into a different court room and got off with a "Speed Camera" ticket, which I only paid $177.00.

Awesome.

This will likely not work for you, because I would not risk chancing it and getting lucky like I did, but I would just take it to Justice of the Peace, and they will likely reduce it to a lower fine, with 2 demerits.

P.S.: The reason why I did take it to court was because when I was pulled over, I told the cop I couldn't brake safely and it was snowing hard and he pulled me over at a one lane turn intersection, which caused a even bigger traffic hazard. Also, he was a good 15 meters behind me and said "I stopped just fine, why didn't you?" Maybe because you were at least 15 meters behind me! :rofl:

Regardless, he was a nice cop in court and helped me out a lot. So unless you have a really good reason to take it to court, there is no reason to. The cop will likely use the "I could have given you a ticket for the dog, you already got off easy."

Coles Notes:
-Take it to Justice of the Peace
-Get reduced ticket, probably down to 2 demerits, lower fine.
-Call it a day.

EvolizePhoto
10-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Kinda sounds like my ticket for not wearing a seatbelt...meanwhile the seatbelt in the old pickup truck is a fucking LAP BELT. I got a ticket because I had no shoulder belt, even though it wasn't made with one...that one i am definately fighting

Graham_A_M
10-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Yes you can fight it, call Denis Young at "Fight that ticket"
(403) 288-2102
www.fightthatticket.com

Dennis is Awesome, he knows what hes doing and really works for your money. Dont bother with Points.... seriously.

copynpaste
10-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
(403) 288-2102
www.fightthatticket.com

Dennis is Awesome, he knows what hes doing and really works for your money. Dont bother with Points.... seriously.

Thats graham ill call him monday. :thumbsup:

e36bmw///
10-29-2010, 11:12 PM
nm

JordanAndrew
10-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Pointts is also pretty good at fighting tickets, at least in my past experiences.

Graham_A_M
10-30-2010, 12:03 AM
^ Thats what I thought until I called Dennis. ;)

StreetRacerX
10-30-2010, 01:29 AM
If you don't feel like paying a representative to go fight for you, you can always do the aforementioned visit downtown to the Justice of the Peace.

ALWAYS at least make an attempt to go to the Justice of the Peace to get it reduced.

I was issued 2 $230($430 total) tickets, went and had the total fine halved.($230) Better than just giving in and paying them, but given you're circumstances it shouldn't be overly difficult to have the ticket tossed if you were in the intersection when the light was amber colored.

G-ZUS
10-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by StreetRacerX
If you don't feel like paying a representative to go fight for you, you can always do the aforementioned visit downtown to the Justice of the Peace.

ALWAYS at least make an attempt to go to the Justice of the Peace to get it reduced.

I was issued 2 $230($430 total) tickets, went and had the total fine halved.($230) Better than just giving in and paying them, but given you're circumstances it shouldn't be overly difficult to have the ticket tossed if you were in the intersection when the light was amber colored.

230*2= 460?

copynpaste
10-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by StreetRacerX

Is the justice of peace in the new prov. courthouse downtown, 6th and 5th sw i believe?

I remember years ago to pay tickets you would have to go to rocky mtn plaza across from olympic plaza.

dexlargo
10-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by EvolizePhoto
Kinda sounds like my ticket for not wearing a seatbelt...meanwhile the seatbelt in the old pickup truck is a fucking LAP BELT. I got a ticket because I had no shoulder belt, even though it wasn't made with one...that one i am definately fighting And you should win. If the vehicle has the original equipment that it came with, it's not an offence for it to not have a shoulderbelt equipped. Were you wearing the lapbelt?

Originally posted by copynpaste

Is the justice of peace in the new prov. courthouse downtown, 6th and 5th sw i believe? Yes. 3rd floor.

StreetRacerX
10-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

230*2= 460?

Whoops LOL!

Cooked Rice
10-30-2010, 05:12 PM
(403) 288-2102
www.fightthatticket.com

Can I just fax them the ticket? Or do I have to show up to their office in person? They say they can get photo radar tickets reduced to the point where I end up saving money even after their fee. Almost sounds like it's worth the shot, I rather pay them, than give all the money to the damn government :whipped:

C_Dave45
10-31-2010, 11:17 AM
Lets call a spade a spade here. Yeah, shitty deal. But don't try to actually make us think it was a bogus ticket. you were speeding and went through a yellow light, which is a ticket, plain and simple.

108(1) When a yellow light is shown at an intersection by a traffic
control signal at the same time as or following the showing of a
green light, the driver of a vehicle approaching the intersection and
facing the yellow light shall stop before entering..

Yes, it adds "unless unsafe to do so", but if OP was still in the intersection when it turned red (meaning he could still see it) then he was WELL before a safe stopping distance when it turned yellow. Doing the speed limit, any yellow light gives you enough time to safely stop before it will turn red.
You were:
a) speeding and
b) trying to beat the red

This is one of the most common intersection accident scenario's and extremely dangerous.

Justified ticket. Pay it and move on.

speedog
10-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Additionally, the OP 'accidentally ran a red' and using
C_Dave45's great post and the OP's admission that they were well aware that they were speeding at the time of this incident, I would dare say that the running of the red was not an accident by any stretch of the imagination. I suppose the OP should be thankful that there wasn't an over eager pedestrian at that same intersection stepping out on to the roadway on a valid walk sign as the OP was accidentally running the red light at 15kph over the limit.

spikerS
10-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Lets call a spade a spade here. Yeah, shitty deal. But don't try to actually make us think it was a bogus ticket. you were speeding and went through a yellow light, which is a ticket, plain and simple.

Yes, it adds "unless unsafe to do so", but if OP was still in the intersection when it turned red (meaning he could still see it) then he was WELL before a safe stopping distance when it turned yellow. Doing the speed limit, any yellow light gives you enough time to safely stop before it will turn red.
You were:
a) speeding and

This is one of the most common intersection accident scenario's and extremely dangerous.

hell, even at 15kph over the limit there is always still time to stop safely. If the OP wants to stick to his story of didn't have time to stop, i would venture that he was over the limit by 25+kph.

i know how the OP feels, i hate it when police enforce laws too. but then in tho OP's defense, that cop was power tripping and was totally out to get him.

:rofl:

J-hop
10-31-2010, 02:30 PM

yellowsnow
10-31-2010, 07:54 PM
are we allowed to video tape an encounter with the police. If he starts acting like a jackass, can I say...
"Officer, just to let you know I am recording this conversation on my iPhone."

can the cop tell me to turn it off? obviously if i do that, he's just gonna give you a ticket, but at least you have proof in case you ever want to go to court.

spikerS
10-31-2010, 09:40 PM
i dont think you would even have to tell the officer you are recording it. Canadian law states that only 1 person involved in the conversation has to know it is being recorded for it to be admissible in court...

Wrinkly
10-31-2010, 10:40 PM
My understanding is that it is perfectly legal to record a conversation so long as ONE involved party has consented to it - you have consented, so therefore you are within your rights to record it. However; I also believe you do have to inform the other party that you are doing so, but I'm not 100% certain.

You could always use that line you get when you call the bank or credit card "This call may be recorded for quality control purposes" LOL (Certainly would make sure Police officers operate within the rules - not a bad thing imo).

Graham_A_M
10-31-2010, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice

Can I just fax them the ticket? Or do I have to show up to their office in person? They say they can get photo radar tickets reduced to the point where I end up saving money even after their fee. Almost sounds like it's worth the shot, I rather pay them, than give all the money to the damn government :whipped:

I dont know, call and ask. A fax would probably work though

I *USED* to fight the tickets in person, but the laws & process changed. The last time I did this, I spent 5 hours in court & waiting to be seen in court... (5 very fucking LONG hours) only to have my $280 fine reduced to $200, with demerits still. :facepalm: Its honestly not worth it to represent yourself. In the old days, to be represented wasn't always worth it, but now? absolutely.
After taking a day off work, plus my time involved, I was quite frustrated over a mere $80 reduction. :thumbsdow

copynpaste
11-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Just called Denis, $245 for him to do it. Damn!

codetrap
11-01-2010, 09:11 AM
Did you think a lawyer would be cheaper? LOL.

Mitsu3000gt
11-01-2010, 09:13 AM
If he was actually swearing at you and you aren't exaggerating, that is another reason why you should be recording your conversations with police on your phone when you get pulled over. I'd imagine it can only help you in court.

Mar
11-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
You were:
a) speeding and

I'm glad someone said it.

Feruk
11-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Morally, you should just pay the ticket and move on as you're clearly at fault.

Having said that, I'd never pay it without taking it to at least the Justice of the Peace. I'd look for at least 1 demerit removed and $100 removed. If you don't get much, go to court. I'd make a claim that I was at the point of no return. When the cop indicates he does not believe so, I'd hit him with questioning about where he was pulling out of. You said Tim Horton's, so he prolly had some coffee or something (via drive thru) that he was focusing on (distracted). I'd create doubt as to whether he was alert enough to see the incident.

As for his comment about you getting off "easy" because you didn't get a dog ticket, that's just a bunch of nonsense to be ignored. Getting off easy is NOT getting a ticket.

NuclearPizzaMan
11-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Really, people who run reds should have their licenses suspended for a month and their vehicle towed on the spot. Learn to drive.

Cooked Rice
11-01-2010, 12:40 PM
So I called Dennis' office @ http://www.fightthatticket.com/calgary.html

The lady told me for photo radar tickets, their fee is $10 and they get the tickets cut in half. Pretty damn good. You don't have to waste time going to the court, paying for parking etc. Unfortunately though it was too much of short notice for them, as my court date is this wed. She told me i'd have to go in anyways, plead not guilty, and ask for a future trial date. Then give them the ticket to handle it.

So I'll go in and just ask for my reduction myself and be done with it, my day off anyways. But next time, I'll just get them to handle my tickets.

Squishy
11-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I got the same thing for not stopping at a stop sign, I went and fought it, got 2 demerits and $115

JDMMAN
11-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Just got my first speeding ticket in 16 yrs of driving this past weekend @ Stony & Crowchild NW interchange. It was an 80 zone with signs up indicating 60 @ the construction zone (note this was a Sat. afternoon @ 4:30pm) no construction was going on. I was pulled over right at the beginning before the sign says "fines double"

Luckily the officer was kind enough not to charge double, but supposidly I was going 83 in the 60 zone (ticket indicated that it was "estimated" and then also laser was checked off - so that in itself contradicts itself). $140 ticket w/ 3 demerits :whipped:

For those who've fought their tickets, where did you request full disclosure on the information? I was just following the flow of traffic and there was no construction, so I feel that this location was a total cash grab. 6 others were pulled over at the same time.

:thumbsdow

copynpaste
11-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
Morally, you should just pay the ticket and move on as you're clearly at fault.

Having said that, I'd never pay it without taking it to at least the Justice of the Peace. I'd look for at least 1 demerit removed and $100 removed. If you don't get much, go to court. I'd make a claim that I was at the point of no return. When the cop indicates he does not believe so, I'd hit him with questioning about where he was pulling out of. You said Tim Horton's, so he prolly had some coffee or something (via drive thru) that he was focusing on (distracted). I'd create doubt as to whether he was alert enough to see the incident.

As for his comment about you getting off "easy" because you didn't get a dog ticket, that's just a bunch of nonsense to be ignored. Getting off easy is NOT getting a ticket.

wheres justice of the peace located at?

denis said for $245 he will remove the charge and it wont show up on your record and wont increase your insurance.

sabad66
11-01-2010, 07:32 PM
(403) 288-2102
www.fightthatticket.com

^ Thats what I thought until I called Dennis. ;)

http://www.bettercallsaul.com/

sabad66
11-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
So I called Dennis' office @ http://www.fightthatticket.com/calgary.html

The lady told me for photo radar tickets, their fee is $10 and they get the tickets cut in half. Pretty damn good. You don't have to waste time going to the court, paying for parking etc. Unfortunately though it was too much of short notice for them, as my court date is this wed. She told me i'd have to go in anyways, plead not guilty, and ask for a future trial date. Then give them the ticket to handle it.

So I'll go in and just ask for my reduction myself and be done with it, my day off anyways. But next time, I'll just get them to handle my tickets.
Seriously? $10? I just got a nice $129 present in the mail today and was just about to toss the check in the mail on my way out now... Maybe I'll call Dennis' office tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Cooked Rice
11-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Yeah, $10 for all photo radar tickets to have them cut in half. Flat rate, lol.

dexlargo
11-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by JDMMAN
(ticket indicated that it was "estimated" and then also laser was checked off - so that in itself contradicts itself). $140 ticket w/ 3 demerits :whipped: They will usually estimate your speed before taking a reading with the laser. That's probably all that the police officer was indicating by checking both boxes. As for getting disclosure, I think you can do it by sending a faxed request to the crown's office with your contact information on it so they can let you know when it's ready to pick up. Make sure to quote the ticket number in your request. I even looked up the fax number for you and I think the fax number is 403-297-4311.

yoda124
11-02-2010, 10:15 AM
$85 ticket doing 65 in 50 this morning on beddington blvd.That stretch of road is fucking ridiculous for a 50 km limit...way too slow...and the cop was in such a hurry to take my licence he didn't bother asking for my reg & ins.He wrote my ticket standing behind my car and gave my ticket 2 min later.Not even 10 sec after I drove off he was pulling someone else over...

nice cash grab cocksuckers.

Kloubek
11-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Dude... regardless of whether you agree with the speed limit or not, you were going 15k over. And, quite frankly, that deserves a ticket.

C_Dave45
11-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Dude... regardless of whether you agree with the speed limit or not, you were going 15k over. And, quite frankly, that deserves a ticket.

On top of the fact that barreling through a yellow/red light over the speed limit is where the highest rate of fatal accidents occur: just one source (http://seriousaccidents.com/legal-advice/top-causes-of-car-accidents/running-a-red-light/)

Two examples right here on beyond of this type of "yellow light chasing":

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/319092/got-into-an-accident-help/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/171934/my-luck-is-better-and-better-/

You're lucky no one was anticipating their green light and went through a little early, or a pedestrian didn't step off the curb. No wonder the cop was mad and swearing, because he's probably seen countless other incidents of the exact same thing where he has to notify next of kin. I don't blame him one bit. He SWORE at you?!!! :eek: wahhhhhhhhh!!!

Irresponsible driving. Period. Grow the fuck up and pay your much-too-lenient fine.

Cos
11-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by yoda124
$85 ticket doing 65 in 50 this morning on beddington blvd.That stretch of road is fucking ridiculous for a 50 km limit...way too slow...and the cop was in such a hurry to take my licence he didn't bother asking for my reg & ins.He wrote my ticket standing behind my car and gave my ticket 2 min later.Not even 10 sec after I drove off he was pulling someone else over...

I hate people that want to go that fast and have anger issues that I want to do 50 on that road. There seems to be lots of road rage assholes who feel that 65 on that piece is appropriate.

I am not saying that you are one of these guys but I hate the people who feel that I need to go the speed they want me to go. Especially where I see cops every other day.

Mar
11-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Cos

I hate people that want to go that fast and have anger issues that I want to do 50 on that road. There seems to be lots of road rage assholes who feel that 65 on that piece is appropriate.

I am not saying that you are one of these guys but I hate the people who feel that I need to go the speed they want me to go. Especially where I see cops every other day.

Only applicable to left lane drivers. I let people in the right lane go as slow as they want.

Cos
11-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Mar

Only applicable to left lane drivers. I let people in the right lane go as slow as they want.

You ever drive through there? For a long time it was 2 lanes but really only 1 lane. If you are in the right lane it ends at beddington trail. The left lane was the only one to go straight through then once it was past beddington it split again.

Not sure how I can be in a lane that ends without pissing people off by trying to cut in last minute so I can let people break the law in a construction zone that is known for cops.

Mar
11-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Cos

You ever drive through there? For a long time it was 2 lanes but really only 1 lane. If you are in the right lane it ends at beddington trail. The left lane was the only one to go straight through then once it was past beddington it split again.

Not sure how I can be in a lane that ends without pissing people off by trying to cut in last minute so I can let people break the law in a construction zone that is known for cops. Ha wow, that sounds like a murder scene waiting to happen. I don't go that far north very often. It sounds like it would be hard to even get up to the speed limit in a section like that.

C_Dave45
11-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Mar

The whole "Slower traffic use right lane" only applies to freeways. Inner city multi-lane roads cannot use those practices as every other block has left turns. If the posted speed limit is "x" kmh, then no matter what lane you're in, anyone getting "road rage" over a person doing the speed limit is a DB and a poor driver. I'm not about to be changing lanes back and forth just to allow some asshole who wants to race down the road at over the limit speeds. In heavy traffic and I'm planning on turning left an the next little while then I'm in the left lane doing the speed limit. You want to fly at 80 k, then tough shit. Learn to relax and do the limit.

codetrap
11-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by yoda124

Too fast you are yeeees? Rules should you know now by, obey, and you will not fail. Volunteered to take shaft in mouth you did, yes mmmm. If the taste you do not like, then why do you open your mouth?

Cos
11-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Ha wow, that sounds like a murder scene waiting to happen. I don't go that far north very often. It sounds like it would be hard to even get up to the speed limit in a section like that.

Agree it is a road rage place and agree it was hard to get up to 60 and no way anyone should be going faster than 60 as there was no run off on either side as they were cut and paving it.

Trust me people tried to speed, especially later at night, had one guy pass me in a 4 door jap 2GJ version of the camry (cant remember the name) on the open shoulder because I was doing 70 in the 60 zone. He must have hit 120.

copynpaste
11-02-2010, 12:32 PM
So I talked with the people at fighttheticket and dennis.

They said for me, since i havent had a ticket in over 6yrs and this being the first this would only dock 1 demerit off my record (as opposed to 3 for going through red light).

If I pay them $245, they go to court for me and remove the conviction from my record, prevent any demerits coming off and prevent my auto ins. from going up. They said it will go up, just not sure how much - I even called TD and they said they cant tell but it would happen at the end of my term (which is sept 2011).
The thing is even by going with dennis i still will have to pay the ticket except itll be lowered - they said usually $100 or so on average.

So im looking at $245 + $178 = $400+ ...just an average cost.

Or I could just go to justice of peace, settle for the conviction and 1 demerit off and save a good chunk of coin.

Im guessing ill go with justice of peace just cause its less cost upfront, potentially half of the cost!

Thoughts?

Also if I go to the justice of peace to get it lowered do i have to go on the time and day it says on the ticket? or can i do it before hand?

Cos
11-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by copynpaste

Thoughts?

Well considering I was told you cannot remove demerits completely I would say something is wrong.

copynpaste
11-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Well considering I was told you cannot remove demerits completely I would say something is wrong.

Oh so then whats teh benefit of paying fighttheticket $245?

Cos
11-02-2010, 01:13 PM
^^ I think they can REDUCE demerits but cannot eliminate them entirely. Plus they could probably drop the fine amount.

Some insurance companies do not ding you for 2 or 3 demerits so it may be worth just paying and paying a little extra care over the next 3 years until it is off the record. If you have a broker (like Masked Bandit who I highly recommend) they can tell you what you would happen to your insurance without actually reporting it.

If you deal direct as soon as you mention a ticket the whole thing goes on file.

copynpaste
11-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Cos
^^ I think they can REDUCE demerits but cannot eliminate them entirely. Plus they could probably drop the fine amount.

Some insurance companies do not ding you for 2 or 3 demerits so it may be worth just paying and paying a little extra care over the next 3 years until it is off the record. If you have a broker (like Masked Bandit who I highly recommend) they can tell you what you would happen to your insurance without actually reporting it.

If you deal direct as soon as you mention a ticket the whole thing goes on file.

k thanks. I closed my ticket at FTT and just gonna go to JOP to see how much lower i can get it. I see no benefit in paying FTT $245 just to min. the demirts taken off when i havent had a ticket in over 6 years and my record is clean.

So can i go to JOP to plead before the date written on my ticket? or do i just plead when then?

JDMMAN
11-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Does anyone know if you can go before the date listed on the ticket to please with the JOP?