PDA

View Full Version : Using old plate on new vehicle

Unknown303
10-29-2010, 10:26 PM
If I take the plate off my old/registered vehicle and put it on my new purchased vehicle can I drive it for a certain period of time or do I need to swap registration over immediately? I'm looking for a reference to this for Alberta. Thanks.

black300
10-29-2010, 10:27 PM
As long as u have insurance u have 14 days to get the registration transferred.

black13
10-29-2010, 10:30 PM
edit: guess I'm wrong. Must have confused it with no insurance.

Unknown303
10-29-2010, 10:30 PM
DO we have sources to prove either of these statements?

chrispl
10-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by black300
As long as u have insurance u have 14 days to get the registration transferred.

Yeah. I've been pulled over before and told by at least 5 different cops.

baygirl
10-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Try this thread for some information:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=308346&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

Tik-Tok
10-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
DO we have sources to prove either of these statements?

Transfer of plates

86(1) If ownership of a private passenger vehicle passes from one person to another, the new owner may operate, or permit another person to operate, the newly acquired motor vehicle while it is displaying a licence plate that issued to the new owner with respect to the registration of another private passenger vehicle.

(2) If ownership of a commercial vehicle passes from one person to another, the new owner may drive, or permit another person to drive, the newly acquired vehicle while it is displaying a licence plate issued to the new owner with respect to the registration of another vehicle of the same class of commercial vehicle.

(3) The licence plate may be displayed on the newly acquired vehicle for not more than 14 days from the date its ownership passes to the new owner if the new owner intends

(a) to apply to register the vehicle, and

(b) to have the displayed licence plate reissued for use on the vehicle.

(4) The owner or operator of the vehicle shall carry

(a) proof of ownership of the newly acquired vehicle,

(b) a valid financial responsibility card relating to the vehicle, and

(c) proof that the licence plate is issued in respect of a vehicle registered as owned by that owner.

Unknown303
10-29-2010, 11:17 PM
I read over that thread but it never seemed like there was a solid answer regarding registration. I have insurance on the new vehicle but am not sure if I can get registration on it until Monday now.

Thanks tik-tok seems that explains things well.

JordanAndrew
10-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I read over that thread but it never seemed like there was a solid answer regarding registration. I have insurance on the new vehicle but am not sure if I can get registration on it until Monday now.

Thanks tik-tok seems that explains things well.

Just so you know, there are some registries that are open on Saturdays so if you got time, you can always register it tomorrow and not have to worry about it.

Unknown303
10-29-2010, 11:38 PM
This is what I'm hoping for. I would definitely do that but it's my fiancée who is having time related issues tomorrow with work that could make getting it to a registry in time.

rookie101
10-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Downtown registry is also open on Sunday's.

01RedDX
10-30-2010, 10:53 AM

master hec0
10-30-2010, 10:55 AM
100% positive on the 14 day rule.

and if you don't have an old plate to use you can always get an in transit pass from the registries.

i have been pulled over before because the cop has run my plate and it shows my old vehicle and in fact i was on my 15th day but he let me off with a warning.